Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ A Matter of Trust ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

" I think it's time you tell me about this dream, hikari. I want to hear all of it." said Yami Bakura sitting on the opposite edge of the sofa as his hikari.

" Huh!?" said Bakura, nearly spitting hot chocolate at him.

That was the last thing he'd been expecting, and the last thing he wanted to talk about with his Yami.

" You're dream!" Yami Bakura snapped, then controlled himself. " Tell me about the dream." he said more calmly.

" Ya-Yami it was just a dream of a bad memory, that's all." Balura replied, trying not to sound as though he was being elusive.

His Yami looked confused. " A memory?"

" Hai." the boy took another sip from his mug before setting it down.

" And what dream, had you literally in pieces?" the Egyptian asked, examining a pointer on the Ring, trying to appear indifferent.

Bakura bit his lip. What could he say to his Yami? ' I have nightmares about you' ? As if Yami Bakura needed to think he was weaker!

Bakura's discomfort did not go unnoticed by his other.

~Whatever it is, he doesn't want to talk about it. Too bad I'm not giving him an option.~ the darker one thought.

" Just some nightmare about something that happened to me." the hikari said with a fake smile. " It doesn't really matter now."

" Is that so?" Yami Bakura's voice dripped sarcasm. " It doesn't 'matter' yet you would rather die than sleep ever again?"

Bakura twitched. " I."

" You can't deny that's what you said." his Yami smirked, but it was a grim smirk. " You trapped yourself with your own words boy. And like that wasn't all! You screamed at me like a stupid baka, and used a LOCKED DOOR to get away from a SPIRIT."

Bakura gripped his head in his hands. He didn't want to go over it all again. And yet the scenes replayed in his head over and over.

Yami Bakura watched apprehensively. If the boy closed up again, there'd be no getting anything out of him. And something told him that taking the boy and shaking him would defeat the purpose. He had to keep him in one piece.

He didn't want to upset the boy more, but it was time to take this seriously. " Hikari, I know I'm not your favorite person. But there's a reason you need to trust me."

The hikari looked up. Angry tears had welled in his eyes. " Trust you? Why should I trust you?!"

Bakura's outburst startled the tomb robber.

" The last time I trusted you , you controlled me! You hurt me!"

The older white haired boy felt a weird pang in his chest. The hikari's words couldn't actually hurt him.could they? Make him feel . guilty? No. No way was it possible. A tomb robber was supposed to care for no one. Bakura couldn't have that sort of power over him.

These feelings made him angry. " Don't feed me that crap! If controlling you was betrayal, then what was letting the Pharaoh and his baka hikari send me to the grave yard supposed to be?!"

Bakura jumped to his feet. " You can really ask that?! You sealed me in a card, and tried to use me to cause the death of my friends!"

The memory of his Yami's words before being released from the card still made his blood run cold at times. ' I will make you kill each other!' He jerked himself around, facing away from his Yami.

The thief sat frozen to the spot. His hikari never talked about these things in that much detail after they'd passed. He always tried to resume his life, and be normal and happy, as much as his efforts never seemed to turn out quite right.

" And you what else, Yami?" Bakura continued, his voice still angry only sounding sadder now. " You used my monster world game the same way, if not worst. Some of the only, and best childhood friends I had were turned into game pieces. I loved that game. No one could beat me at it. Now I can't look at it without being sick."

Yami Bakura felt numb. As much as he didn't want the boy's words to have an effect on him, they did. Was this what his normally kind, cheerful, sometimes in-denial-of- his- reality hikari kept bottled up for so long? Had it really hurt him that much?

" Then why did you keep being nice to me? Why did you keep trying to be my friend?" it surprised even the darker one when his voice actually shook, just above a whisper.

"Okaasan is dead. Amane, my beautiful little sister, is dead." Bakura said bitterly. The tears crawled down his face. " Otousan loves me, but he's always off on digs. Archaeologists get crappier pay than what you'd imagine, and he has to support us both. But you're here. You're all I have left, the closest thing to a brother. And you don't even care about me."

It was those words that made the biggest impact on the millennium spirit. His hikari had thought of him as a brother?

The emotions that were beneath the surface for so long were released at last. But somehow, it made Bakura feel emptier. Now he just wanted to hide. Cowardly as it sounded, he'd rather disappear than have to listen to his Yami make the same empty excuses.

But why wasn't his Yami saying anything? Why weren't his values and his innocence being belittled?

" Hikari." a soft voice came from just behind him.

Bakura slowly turned to see his Yami facing him. And the spirit's eyes looked - sad?

The boy blinked and stepped away. ~ Sona bakana. Remorse? HIM?~

A hand gently touched his shoulder. He hesitated for a moment, than pulled away quickly. ~ No, not that trick again! I WILL NOT FALL FOR THAT TRICK AGAIN!~

He spun around and tried to run towards the stairs. But a hand gripping his arm prevented him.

For all his pride, Yami Bakura didn't care about how he chose his words. " Don't leave, hikari. Onegai, don't run away from me anymore."

His hikari's eyes widened when he realized that this was a plea, not an order. Spoken softly, not angrily or arrogantly.

Bakura lowered his eyes. "Why?" he whispered.

Yami Bakura looked into his hikari's eyes. It frightened him at how much of reminded him of how he himself used to look when he was younger. And then how he'd changed.

" Because I do care." Yami Bakura said just above a whisper. He let go of the boy's arm. He couldn't stand to look at his light any longer.

The young hikari felt like he'd been dosed in cold water. Had HIS Yami just said that? His mouth felt very dry.

" If you care about me, then why did you do all those things Yami?"

The spirit stood there, his face down, his hair shadowing his face. He was shaking slightly. His eyes were burning rather oddly. He couldn't sort his feelings out. He had stood this same way long ago before his hikari existed, small , and soot stained, on the ashes of his home. He had that same old feeing of helplessness that he hated.

" I was angry at you, because you reminded me of everything I lost." There was an obvious note of a sob in the Egyptian's voice now.

~ And I put him through the same thing.~

His words shocked Bakura. It was the last thing he'd have ever expected to hear.

" Yami." Bakura said, softly.

The hikari knew that his Yami could be cunning. He could put on a good act if he needed to. That's how he'd lured Yugi and the others into their first shadow game with him. But something in his heart was telling him that this was sincere.

Suddenly Yami Bakura felt arms wrap around him tightly. " Don't cry, Yami!"

The tomb robber was shocked. His tears stopped momentarily. After everything, the boy could still be sympathetic?

He looked down at his hikari's concerned expression. Then without a second thought , pulled him into a tight embrace.

Bakura felt that maybe now he understood his Yami a little better, even if he didn't understand his Yami's actions. And he wanted to help him.

For the Egyptian this moment was only temporary relief. He still hadn't told Bakura the other reason he'd asked about the dream. Or the eyes. And if it was threat, that they didn't even understand, how could he keep him safe?

In the meantime, they had been too caught up in that moment to hear the sound of an engine being killed outside. A blonde boy lifted a helmet off his head,(one that does not suite him at all I should add,) and shook the water droplets from the tips of his hair.

It was not raining anymore. But he'd been caught in it halfway there. It was dawn. He'd gotten there a little late, but he was wet and annoyed and not feeling sorry for it.

He dismounted his motorcycle, and reached for where he'd stashed his golden rod.

He opened the front door without knocking, and stepped in. He kept walking until he reached the living room where two boys you would mistake for twins were sitting on the couch. Well, one was sitting. The other was covered with a blanket and leaning against the older-looking one asleep.

" I really hope you are going to get of that couch and offer me something dry to -" the blonde boy paused.

Yami Bakura glared his tomb robber glare. " What?"

Violet eyes rested on the younger boy. He shuddered. " An INNOCENT looking version of you. That is downright scary."