Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Tesseract ❯ Seeing Doubles ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

R_S: Sorry this took so long!
 
 
Chapter 6
Seeing Doubles
 
“Hurry, the portal is wavering!”
 
“Tell us something we don't already know, Isis!” Kaiba yelled as he dove toward the shrinking tesseract, his heart beat pounding within his ears. He, Marik, and Isis threw themselves into the black abyss and were soon followed by the rest of the group. Serenity, the last to enter, just squeezed in by a hair. Then it disappeared. Their only current route home, vanished. And, none of our heroes were awake to witness it.
 
“Ugh, where am I? What the hell happened?” Kaiba was forced to squint as he attempted to open his eyes, but was unable to. After a little bit of struggling, he managed to drag himself into an upright position.
 
“We're exactly where I thought we would end up, we're in Wandaarando.” Isis finally answered him, being the only other conscious one of their group. “The pressure passing through the tesseract was too much for our bodies to take. We all passed out from the pain.”
 
“How long have we been out of it?”
 
“I was unconscious for twenty minutes, you were for twenty five. It shouldn't take long for the others to recover, I can't wait for the mass hysteria.” He gazed at her in confusion, but she only nodded her head toward where the rest of their companions lied unawake, “Take a look around, things just got more interesting.”
 
Doing as he was told, his sight wandered across their fellow travelers. At first, everything seemed ordinary.
 
“What am I looking for, Isis?” he demanded.
 
“Aren't you seeing doubles?” Kaiba was about to turn around and tell her to move her ass into the nearest looney bin, and to take her brother with her, when something caught the corner of his eye. Well, more like somethings. (An: another fake word! ;P) There were two of some people, but why? It suddenly hit him. It took a minute after his eyes widened for him to regain the ability to speak.
 
“As if dealing with them one at a time wasn't hard enough.”
 
“Indeed.” Isis chuckled lightly.
 
“How did it happen?”
 
“I'm not sure.” There were a few moments of silence.
 
“I just thought of something.” Kaiba growled, somewhat angry.
 
“What is it?” She worried over his sour tone.
 
“Do yamis and hikaris share feelings?”
 
“I suppose so why- oh. This could pose a problem.”
 
“Would Malik act the same way as his counterpart?”
 
“I hope not, for everyone's sake…”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Wha? Oh, n-nothing.”
 
“Isis, tell me what's wrong.”
 
“Nothing, I didn't mean that.”
 
“Isis…please. If it has to do with Téa, I need to know.”
 
“What?!” Isis had not been expecting that. After recovering from the initial shock, she took a deep breath. “I'm sorry, Kaiba. I really cannot tell you.” The boy sighed, but did not say anything.
 
`Something's wrong, why won't she tell me? I miss her so much. Téa…' He silently laughed to himself, `I must be loosing my mind. Here I am becoming soft and weak, all because of some overly peppy girl. But, my god, she's so worth it…'
 
“Kaiba,” a voice called.
 
“What is it, Isis?”
 
“I'm going to consult my Millennium Eye, tell the others what I told you if I'm busy when they regain consciousness.” She received a silent nod in affirmation, and set off to work.
 
Meanwhile, Kaiba had done exactly what Isis asked him to for the next person to awake, which was Tristan. Afterwards, the brunette boy took over and soon, everyone other than the yamis and hikaris had woken up. The others needed more rest since their bodies had been under the most stress. Isis had took a break from using her item to warn them that the group would all come to at the same time and then continued with what she had been doing earlier.
 
“Damn it, would you just tell me what is so funny?” The handsome CEO snapped at the Wheeler siblings, who had just whispered something to Tristan. The group was now snickering uncontrollably and it was beginning to get on Kaiba's nerves.
 
“Well sorry, it's just that we've never seen the great Seto Kaiba with a backpack before. Just big, expensive briefcases.” Serenity giggled innocently. Kaiba only glared in back at them and turned away.
 
“Ugh, where am I?”
 
“Ryou!” Everyone but Kaiba rushed over to great their newly awakened friend. The young CEO stepped closer, but maintained a safe distance.
 
“How are you feeling?” Serenity asked.
 
“I've been better.” Suddenly, more groans filled the air and everyone was waking up. It was all fine, until they opened their eyes.
 
“What the fuck?!” Bakura exclaimed, looking at his hikari and all the other separated pairs. “How the hell did this happen?”
 
“I'm not entirely sure, but it has something to do with the pressure that the tesseract put on out bodies. The force must have split you into two separate people.” Isis explained, walking forward.
 
“It's getting dark,” Duke commented looking up, into the sky. “We should probably make camp. We can decide what to do in the morning.”
 
“That's a good idea,” Agreed Mai, “but does anyone here know how to set up camp?”
 
“W- hehehe, w-well, um…” Tristan embarrassedly stuttered, cheeks flushing pink.
 
“Just spit it out already!” Bakura glared.
 
“When I was younger, I kinda was a… boy scout.” He looked down. There was a moment of silence before nearly everyone from modern times began screaming with laughter. Even Isis smiled, chuckling lightly, although she tried to hide it. Yugi and Ryou were snickering, but trying their hardest to stop. Kaiba just stood there, seemingly unamused, while the yamis looked confused.
 
“Aibou,” Yami asked, once everyone had quieted down, “What is a `boy scout'?”
 
“Well,” the boy explained, “since the world has become so modern, less and less people are doing out door stuff. Boy scouts are for kids from ages… something like five through thirteen, to learn how to do all those outdoorsy things.”
 
“Why did you laugh?”
 
“As you get older, you lose interest in Boy Scouts and it comes to be considered lame. When you look back on it, you start to laugh at how stupid the whole thing really was.”
 
“Oh, I see.” Yami affirmed, although he really didn't.
 
“Well, since we have an honorary boy scout with us,” Mai drawled, “we'd best get started.” She whispered something to Duke, Joey, and Serenity.
 
“What are our orders, Sergeant?” The four struck mock salutes.
 
“Seargeant?” asked Bakura.
 
“I'll explain later.” Ryou chuckled.
 
“Can we please get back to making camp.” Marik asked, bored.
 
“We need fire wood to build a fire, and kindling.” Tristan pointed out. “Why don't Mai and Joey do that?”
 
“Uh… ok, sure.” Joey agreed, slightly confused. The two walked towards the forest a few yards away, Mai trailing slightly behind her male companion. Serenity giggled as their forms disappeared.
 
“Wanted to give them some alone time?” Serenity asked in a cocky, uncharacteristic fashion.
 
“Possibly…” Tristan grinned before turning to the rest of the group, “Ok, I'll build the fire pit and you guys can… find pine needles to sleep on, I guess.” The group dispersed, going in search of soft material to sleep on.
 
“I wonder what'll happen with those two.” Serenity thought aloud, she was with Malik, Marik, and Isis.
 
“I honestly don't know.” Isis answered, distractedly, “Marik,”
 
“Yes sister?”
 
“Go with Serenity to search over there.” She pointed to her right, where the woods tapered outward slightly, “Malik and I will stay here.”
 
“Good idea.” The redhead quickly agreed, having figured out that her female companion needed to speak to her brother. Grabbing the other, confused, boy's arm, she forcefully dragged him away.
 
“Malik… I'm going to be blunt. Do you share Marik's feelings for Téa?” Isis blurted, before adding “It's alright if you do, I just need to know.” Her brother stopped and turned to her.
 
“Why?” he asked, “Why do you need to know?”
 
“You already have the answer to that. Do you or don't you share your yami's obsession?”
 
“… We're essentially one person, as the other hikaris are with their yamis. What do you think?”
 
“Malik…” she dropped her query and pulled the boy into a hug, eyes watering. “I worry about you two so much.”
 
“Me and Marik?” he asked, obviously not convinced she cared for his yami.
 
“Yes, you and Marik. I may not agree with everything he does, but he's still like a third brother.”
 
“Speaking of brothers, have you heard from Odion lately?”
 
“Yes, things are fine back in Egypt.” Isis stepped back, letting her brother go. She wiped away the sole tear that had escaped her eye and was rolling down her pale skin “Come, we had best finish and return to the others.” She turned to pick up the nettles.
 
“Sister,” Isis stopped and turned to face him.
 
“Yes?”
 
He didn't speak. Instead, he allowed his load to fall and ran towards her. Malik caused her to stumble slightly with the sheer force, but soon the two were sharing a bear hug.
 
Meanwhile
 
“You know,” Serenity offered, “It's ok to wish Isis acted that way towards you. I'm sure that's how things were back in Ancient Egypt. No one blames you for missing that.”
 
“You're wrong, mortal. I care nothing for her.” Marik spat, picking up more sleep-on-able stuff from the ground.
 
“Fine, just forget I said anything.” She hissed, angry and hurt.
 
“That's exactly what I was planning on doing.”
 
Meanwhile
 
Mai was searching for kindling, hands already close to full. Joey's arms were filled with logs, so the two placed their query on the ground and sat to rest. Minutes later, Mai took the initiative and was first to speak.
 
“Why do you think Tristan send us to do this? I seriously doubt that we were best suited for the job.” She pointed out.
 
“Yeauh, dat's true.” He agreed nervously.
 
“We, uh… we should get back. C'mon, hun.” Getting up, she dusted of her skirt before putting out her hands face up. Grasping them tightly, Joey began to stand as Mai pulled. Unfortunately for her, she pulled a little to hard and landed on her back… with Joey on top of her.
 
“Uh…” Mai blushed, only able to mutter incomprehensible sounds. Joey was speechless and wide-eyed. Yet, this time he took the initiative. Slowly, he lowered his head towards hers, prepared to capture her lips with his own. In response, she tilted her head backward, parting her lips. His mouth mimicked hers, opening slightly as he came lower.
 
Meanwhile
 
“Taylor.” A gruff voice called out at the campsite.
 
“Yes? What is it, Kaiba?” Tristan looked up from his meager attempts to start a fire with what little they had.
 
“Here.” An odd object flew through the air, sufficiently being caught in the tanned boy's hands.
 
“A lighter? Wow, Kaiba, I never would've guessed you smoke.”
 
“I don't.”
 
“Then… why do you have a lighter?”
 
“I forgot when or why it started, but I somehow got into the habit of carrying one. I never leave home without it, but I couldn't tell you why. Anyway,” the CEO growled, “it's none of your business.”
 
“Whoa, I was just asking.” Tristan's hands shot up in defense.
 
“… Do you think she's ok?” Kaiba asked, after a moment of silence.
 
“Téa's tough, she can handle herself. I should know. Here, look at this.” The boy rolled up his sleeve to show his upper arm. It was adorned with a rather nasty looking bruise.
 
“So?” the brunette appeared unimpressed.
 
“One day Téa and I went to the mall to hang out, just the two of us. We were goofing off, when I started to tease her. I guess she got tired of it, so she socked me in the arm. Didn't mean to do it so hard, though, and felt guilty as heck afterward.”
 
“Hm.” Was the only response, partnered with a look saying What-does-this-have-to-do-with-anything?
 
“Now imagine what she could do if she meant to hurt someone.” Tristan clarified with a grin. Kaiba couldn't help but smirk back. “She'll hold off Azumamaro `till we get there. And when we do…”
 
“The bastard's done for.” Kaiba finished. The two boys' eyes met and a mutual understanding was formed.
 
Unbeknownst to them, however, they were being watched by two beady black eyes.
 
Meanwhile
 
Téa's head whipped around to face the source of the noise. Before she could say anything, however, the door was being opened. She held her breath as she listened to the lock clicking and watched the doorknob turning.
 
`Oh no, he's back…' But he wasn't. Before her stood a rather beautiful woman.
 
She had porcelain skin and dark green hair falling to her waste in soft waves. The portion that would have framed her face was pulled back into a small ponytail falling against the back of her head. The wreath of hair had a few leaves sticking out of it messily, yet obviously put there on purpose. She was wearing sandals and a rather elegant looking Kimono with two fans sticking out of the part wrapping around her waste. Her lips were painted red and a subtle yet noticeable amount of blush sat on her cheeks. Green eye shadow and eyeliner framed her eyes, which mirrored Azumamaro's, only sadder and a tad kinder as well.
 
“You must be the one, then.” Her voice was thick and rich, flowing from her mouth like syrup.
 
“Who are you?” Téa sounded bold and calm. Her words never betraying the fear she felt. A small laugh rang out. Not a mocking laugh, a slightly amused one.
 
“Hn. So you've got a backbone, I'm impressed. My name is Harukichi, I have been sent by Azumamaro to watch over you.” The woman, now identified as Harukichi, shut the door and walked to the bed, before sitting down.
 
“Watch over me?” Téa asked, confused.
 
“Yes. When I'm not running errands, it is my job to stay with you. I have to say, you're not what I expected.”
 
“What did you expect?” she seemed trust worthy enough, but she was still with Azumamaro. Téa chose to be wary.
 
“Some blond slut with fake breasts who's afraid to break a nail, I suppose.” She answered nonchalantly, “By the way, bravo.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Let me first warn you, don't expect me to speak of Azumamaro often. He can watch us and listen in our conversation. I'm only talking now because I'm positive he's monitoring something else. Understand?”
 
“Yeah, I think so…”
 
“Good. And in response to your question: The stunt you pulled earlier. It takes guts to stand up to my master. Hell, even I don't do it.”
 
“You're master?” Harukichi sighed.
 
“I'm going to have to give you my life's story already, huh?”
 
“Not if you don't want to…” Harukichi raised a brow at the girl's words.
 
“Why are you acting like this?”
 
“Like what?”
 
“Kind towards me. Aren't you bias at all?”
 
“Well, you just insulted Azumamaro. Therefore, you can't be all bad. Besides, even if I hated you, you're all I've got.”
 
“Hn…” there was a few moments of silence. “He owns me.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Your question, he owns me, that's why I call him master. Using magic and a strand of his own hair he created me.”
 
“Oh…” Téa could tell this was a touchy subject, judging by Harukichi's clouded eyes. She decided to steer the conversation in a different path. “So, uh, I guess we should get better acquainted.”
 
“Your name's Téa Anzu Mazaki-Gardner. You're a sixteen-year-old living in Domino City with your parents, who are always traveling and are never there for you. Your mother's an Amercan, but from Italian origin, her mother being the first to marry a non-Italian. Your father's Japanese. You're childhood friends with Yugi Motou and he, Tristan Taylor, and Joey Wheeler are your closest companions. Your other friends include Serenity Wheeler, Mai Valentine, Yugi's yami, Malik and Isis Ishtar, Malik's Yami, Bakura Ryou, Ryou's yami, Mokuba Kaiba, and Seto Kaiba, whom you have a crush on. Need I go on?”
 
“Wha- Who- how did you know that!?!?” the previously described girl exclaimed with wide eyes.
 
“As you probably know, Azumamaro has been monitoring you, along with a few others. I was ordered to keep tabs on whatever friends of yours he wasn't watching and on you when he didn't have time. Though he rarely didn't have time for you, there were a few occasions.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Hn, you say that a lot… what is it?” Harukichi asked, regarding the look on Téa's face.
 
“I just figured out who you remind me of.”
 
“Who?”
 
“My friend Mai.”
 
“Wait until it's not just the two of us. Around others I'm different.”
 
“Then why did you act like this from the minute you entered the room?”
 
“Orders, I was supposed to buddy up to you.”
 
“Ah, that makes sense.” (An: `ah' like when the dentist goes `Say ah…' not `ah' as in `ah! Evil mashed potatoes, run!') “How about you? There must be something else to say, other than how Azumamaro created you.”
 
“Hn, I wish.”
 
Creak!
 
The girls' heads whipped around to face the door.
 
End Chapter
 
 
R_S: Well, there you go. R&R, later. (BTW, it could take me a while to update!)