Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ To Save An Angel ❯ Welcome to Domino and ur fears Janie ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay this is my second fanfic but my first YGO fic. So be nice and be willing to except a new character.

"My god I don't think I've ever been less prepared for a pop quiz," complained Joey as the three friends (Joey, Tea , and Yugi) walked towards the game shop. "Well seeing as how we were told about it 3 days ago you can't really call it a pop quiz," replied Tea with a smirk plastered to her face "and besides we've been talking about photosynthesis for the past 2 weeks. How can you NOT know something about it?" Joey hung his head and began to mumble not willing to except defeat. Suddenly Yugi turned from his friends to see his grandfather waiting outside the shop to meet them with something held firmly in his hand. Yugi quickened his pace, curiosity running through his veins.

"Hey Grandpa what's going on you're usually in the shop waiting for the afternoon crowd? And what's that in your hand?" Now that Yugi was closer he could see that what his Grandfather was holding was a white envelope with pink lace lining the edges. A grin quickly spread across his face and he snatched the letter forgetting everybody else around him. "It's a letter from your cousin Janie, though I suppose you already figured that out. It seems that the uproar has been settled and Janie will no longer be living with her father." "So where is she gonna go?" asked Yugi concern all over his face. "I mean what's gonna happen to her, she can't go and stay with HIS mother `cauz then he'll be able to get back to her!" "Hey Yugi I don't mean to butt in or anything but I think gramps here wasn't quite finished with what he was gonna say." Said Joey trying to calm his friend down before he went and burst a blood vessel. "Thank you Joseph. Now what I was about to say was that since she isn't living with her father anymore, and yes Yugi the court is well aware that his mother can't be trusted, she will be moving in with us!" a smile spread across the old man's face as he looked down at his grandson who was taking in the sudden news. "Are you serious Grandpa?" asked Yugi who was thrilled with the thought. "Very. Now go upstairs and tell me what condition you think the storage room is in." "Okay Grandpa." said Yugi as he and his friends walked inside towards the back where the living area was.

"Well let's go up and check out the room." Said Yugi looking like he was just made the happiest person ever. "Hey Yugi do you mind telling us about your cousin? I mean we've never really heard that much about her and well since she's gonna be living here we might want to know." Said Joey who took a look around the dark room that was filled to rim with boxes. "Well we've always been pretty close, and if I remember correctly one of these boxes has a pretty recent picture of the two of us." "Okay we'll help you look…um…Yugi do you mind telling us what the deal with her dad is?" asked Tea. Yugi looked back at his friends then down to the floor. "Um guys I'd rather not. It's something that if my cousin wants to talk about then it's ok but it's not my place to." "Okay that's cool so let's find that picture!" said Joey and the three set off on the search…which ended unsuccessfully.

~3 moths later~

"Mr. Wheeler please put whatever that is away before I'm forced to give you detention. Anyway I have some news there will be a new student joining us today." At that moment the door opened a crack and everyone could see a green eye peering in. Then just as quickly as it had happened the door opened fully and in walked a young girl. All the boys stopped and stared at the beauty in front of them; even Seto Kaiba took a peek from behind his book to catch a glance. The girl was a true beauty she had long flowing brown with some of it pulled back and leaving the rest to frame her face and fall onto her shoulders. Then there was her figure…it was beautiful, it looked somewhat fragile but from the three band-aids on her two legs you could tell that she wasn't as fragile as one would have guessed. Second to last was her smile that was filled with warmth a true cheer and gave you a feeling of complete comfort and love. Lastly were her eyes. They were a beautifully deep emerald green that sparkled in the light and seemed to say, "Life is fun you should be happy like me and then you'll never be sad again."

It took a minute for the boys to snap out of it and they only did when they heard the teacher say "Now miss Mouto we'll need to find you a seat." A couple of the boys turned to look at Yugi with shock written all over their faces. "Ah well it seems there is only one available seat. Mr. Kaiba I'm going to have to ask you to remove your backpack from the chair and put it under your desk. Now that that's settled I have to step out for a minute please brainstorm with your partner about your story I'll won't be gone that long." With that he was gone and the room soon broke out into discussion with the occasional glance at Janie. "So," she said turning to Kaiba who seemed to be deeply engrossed in his book "since I don't have a story why don't we talk about yours?" Kaiba continued to read his book and acted as if she hadn't said anything. "Um hello? Didn't you hear me? I was asking-" "I heard you just fine I just chose to ignore you but it seems you just won't let me now will you," replied Kaiba fixing her with one of his famous glares "You see I'm not what you would call a people person. While you on the other hand are just a little ray of sunshine, which means I really have no intention doing anything other then sitting next to you. So if you don't mind go find someone else to pester and let me get back to my book." And with that Kaiba returned to his book leaving Janie sitting with her mouth hanging wide open taking in what had just been said to her. After about a minute of gaping at Kaiba she reached into her bag and pulled out a small vile of ink and began to unscrew the top. She then turned to Kaiba with a grin on her face and said "Well it seems that if one of us is rude then I suppose the other should return the favor?" And with that she stood and dumped the inkbottle on him and stormed out the room, leaving Kaiba to deal with the mess.

After that moment all the two would do is bicker and try to out do the other. It was obvious that Kaiba wasn't the only intelligent one there and it seemed that there would be no end to the nagging. One minute Janie would be telling Kaiba off for misspelling "legitimate" but then he would get her back by pointing out that only ditzes hearted 'i' and when she thought he wasn't looking she would vigouresly erase. And that's how things went till one day…

Janie had gone over to Mai's house (she had been introduced to a ton of people by her cousin) and the two had chatted away forever talking about anything that came to mind and before they realized it, it was about 8:00 and growing dark. "Well I should get going Gramps will kill me if I'm out past 10:00 on a school night." "Do you want me to drive you?" Asked Mai as she handed Janie her sweater. "No that's okay I like walking around at night it's so peaceful, besides I only live about 25 minutes away and I need to work off all those chips." She giggled. "Okay but call if you need me." "I will. Stop worrying I'll be just fine."

~~~~~~~~

"Mister Kaiba sir? Mr. Haiku called and he wants to know if you looked over his proposal. And you have a board meeting tomorrow an…"

Kaiba was sick of being at the office and of having that annoying woman hanging over him asking him a question every minute of the day. Honestly weren't there some questions she could answer herself? For example she had been working as his secretary for 8 months and she still couldn't remember what type of drink he had when he first got in. The woman was way close to being fired and she would have been if it wasn't for having to deal with all those interviews. "Listen," he said in his cool voice staring her right in the eyes "If you haven't noticed I'm trying to leave so if you would save your petty questions for tomorrow I would appreciate it." And with that he walked out the door leaving the stubby little women glaring after him.

~Janie's point of view~

The sky looks so beautiful at night. I hadn't gotten to take a walk like this since I was… No I had promised myself I wouldn't think about that. That place that I had barely managed to call my home, that I escaped from at every chance I got and stayed away as long as I could. I hated having to go home and face him, to have to deal with the abuse and hatred. I suppose that's why I became so accustomed to being happy. I used my sweetness to keep people from finding out, from pitying me like I was some sad little child that was lost and vulnerable but in the end I was. I began to shake my head no I won't think back I won't talk about it ever not ever! I tried to refocus my thoughts to other things…like that Seto Kaiba.

He wasn't really all that bad he just didn't have people skills is all. I bet that deep down he was a really nice guy I mean didn't he have a brother? Yeah he did and from what Yugi and Yami had told me he was really nice to him. There! That was proof enough that he wasn't a rotten guy just a bit um…cranky.

Suddenly two rigid looking men came out from an alley and stopped right in front of me. "Excuse me miss," said the large pudgy one "but isn't it a bit late for a young lady like you to be walking around with no protection?" I began to inch backwards ready to break into a run but before I could a third member of the group came up behind me and grabbed hold of me and smacked his hand over my mouth. But like an ugly oaf could keep me from screaming. I did the first thing that came to mind, I opened my mouth wide and bit him but not a small bite more like one that wouldn't stop till I could taste blood in my mouth which happened momentarily. I was free for only a couple of minutes to scream whether anyone would hear me or not I wasn't sure I mean this was a pretty lousy side of town where the residents had given up on trying to stop jackass gang members like them. So with all I had I screamed. Anything I could think of names, companies, countries, and any other thing that came to my mind. But it was the last thing that I managed to get out that brought my rescuer.

~Seto's point of view~

After dealing with that frustrating woman and signing out with the man at the front desk I hopped into the back seat of my limo and drove off. I couldn't wait to get home. To see Mokuba and to be able to catch up on some much needed sleep. I sighed; today had been a long one. That girl had caught me off guard again and snatched up my paper and managed to find two grammar mistakes. She was unbearable yet…she was charming in her own little way. I remembered when she had poured her ink all over me. I had been fuming, I mean my clothes were ruined. But the next day when I came in she was already there. I had sat down ignoring her trying to convince myself that she didn't even exist then out of the blue she turned to me and we met each other's eyes. "Seto I'm really sorry about what I did yesterday it was childish and I feel majorly stupid for doing it." She then returned to unpacking and all I could do was stare at her with my mouth hanging wide open. I really was fond of her but I didn't want to tell her. I had to admit that I was afraid of her reaction. I rolled down the window and stared up at the sky. The stars reminded me of her eyes how they glimmered shined and showed nothing but sweetness.

"Mr.Kaiba you might want to roll up your window. We're driving through the poorer side of town." I took one last look at the sky before I began to roll up my window but before it was completely up I heard something that made me stop dead and grow very pale. "SETO! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!" and with that the voice was muffled and I couldn't hear anymore. "Stop the car!" I demanded. The driver turned around and gave me a look but did as I said. Soon the car came to a halt and no sooner had it stopped I jumped out and ran towards where I had heard the voice. "I just hope I make it there on time. Hold on Janie."