Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting for You ❯ Waiting for You ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Mai valentine or Joey Wheeler. This is based off of an roleplay my friend and I are doing. Some of which has been altered from the actual series. Marik and Malik are brothers, Mai is actually a bit geeky when she was 19 and she's a case worker for children being she's no longer a duelist. There is a bit of Joey bashing in this but it is completely unintentional I promise. I'm actually a big Joey Wheeler fan but for the fic he's a bit different. Some OOC warning too. Language warning and angst warnings too. The song is Waiting for You from Silent Hill 4: The Room. Hope you enjoy.

*The song starts out with Mai sitting on her couch in her apartment and her grey striped tabby cat, Whiskers, jumps on the couch next to her*

I know it wasn't that long ago, though it seems like ages have passed. How long has it been? Nine years? I thought I had put the past behind me. After all I have been through....why now? Why do you have to torment me? Wasn't it enough that you changed me nine years ago? From a stupid 19 year old girl to the more streetwise 28 year old I am today. You couldn't let me live in peace could you? I guess it was fate we met again that day. I never expected to see you again....so tell me, why now? Why are you changing your tune when your words have haunted me every night for nine years?

 

Your gentle voice I hear

Your words echo inside me

You said you long for me

And that you love me

 

I was working on a case that came in, Atemu Motou's case actually with his infant daughter. I was assigned to the case and one day there you were with him. If I would have only known that you were friends with him.....It wouldn't have changed much I don't think. But the moment I saw you....everything started coming back. Memories I had long ago buried, were resurfacing once more. You hardly seemed to have changed at all. You still had that street punk look that I've always found attractive. Nothing had changed. Here I am sitting on my couch with my cat in my lap thinking about you when I shouldn't be. I swore to myself, after that day, I would forget you. But you never forget your first love, I know this now. I remember when we first met too.

 

And I want to see you too

It's just like I'm falling

Is there nothing I can do?

Wonder if you hear my calling

 

That year had been particularly rough. I had to find some way to make a living, so I had started to learn dueling, thinking maybe I could make some money doing that. I met Marik and Malik. I was just starting out, Malik offered to teach me how to duel. I accepted his offer. For some reason Marik started introducing me to the rest of the 'gang'. I didn't know why, I thought he wanted me to make friends. That's when I met you. His right hand....his enforcer. I knew when I first laid eyes on you, I would like you. That night we had started talking about nothing in particular. I still laugh when I think of our first duel that night. You and Marik had been drinking and we dueled just for the sheer hell of it. That was my first duel that I had ever won, though it didn't mean much. It wasn't for money. But it meant a lot to me. The way you smiled, the way you spoke....I was under your spell then and you didn't realize it.

 

I'm here and waiting for you

Where are you, I can't find you

I'm here and waiting for you

I'll wait forever for you

 

My mother had died a year before I met you and the brothers. My mother had been very sick before she died so we all knew it was only amount of time. My father went nuts after my mother's death and I had nowhere to go. All through my teenage years I never thought of dating. I had crushes, but I never acted on them. I was a very late bloomer when it came to physical appearance. I wasn't beautiful I know I wasn't. I was flat chested, wore jeans, and concealing clothing. Almost always wore my hair in a braid and I had black rimmed glasses. It was because of the amount of stress I took in, that slowed my physical growth. But you almost seemed like that didn't bother you much. You talked to me and a few times I thought you were flirting with me. Although I deny it now.....it was more than a school girl crush. As time passed...my feelings grew. You had even acted like you cared about my feelings.

 

Mom's gone to heaven now

Why won't she come back down?

Does she have someone

She loves more than me?

 

Weeks turned into months. I did get better at dueling and even entered the dueling circuit. It always made me happy to see you, Marik and Malik there at every duel cheering me on. It gave me confidence that I could go all the way. I had even won a few small competitions. Every time I would win there was always parties thrown. Marik loved to celebrate things. I felt like I was wanted....like I was needed. We had grown closer. I would see girls coming up to you left and right and there were several times I seen you leave with girls. I thought I knew you so well...that I could see through you. I only knew of one time that you had a girlfriend and I watched how you treated her too. I wish I could have been at her several times. I know she broke your heart and I promised I would never hurt you even if the promise wasn't to your face. I was very shy. At that time....every time I thought about going to you and asking....I would chicken out. So I came up with a plan.

 

I thought I could love you better

We were always together

If we took some time apart

You would finally know my heart

 

I had my plan so carefully planned. It took me almost three days to plan it out step by step, exactly what I would do to get you to notice me. I had hoped if I played my cards right....You'd make me your girl. I had even set the time I would do it. I timed it wrong though. I didn't realize it until it had already happened. Just hours before I would make my move I had stared in the mirror. I had ditched my jeans and baggy shirt look for a dress but on the conservative side. I had let my hair down and put on the slightest hint of make up, nothing to make me look like a street whore. I didn't want to look like that for you. I wanted to look pretty for you...

 

I'm here and waiting for you

Where are you, I can't find you

I'm here and waiting for you

I'll wait forever for you

 

Everything had worked so well when I had started. We started talking and Marik was away collecting funds but you decided to stay out of that one. It was one Marik could handle anyway. Malik was there but he was on a cell phone to someone and wasn't really paying attention. I didn't feel comfortable doing what I was going to do in front of others. I asked you if you would want to talk more privately. Thankfully you agreed. You had followed me to a more deserted room. I told you how I felt about you....I let it all out. I tried to sound as mature and as calm as possible. I was nervous and I wanted to clam up. But I didn't. When I told you my feelings you stood there looking at me as if it hadn't affected you, as if everything I had said went through one ear and out the other. So...in desperation to get you to say something I did something drastic. I kissed you. I can still remember the way my heart cracked when you barely kissed me back and then pushed me gently away from you. You looked at me and said 'honey, I have a girl waitin' for me back home. Aren't you a little young for me anyways?' I felt my heart shatter at that. I didn't even look 19 you thought; I must have been 14 or 15. I tried hard to keep the tears welling up in my eyes. I answered your question and told you I was 19. It didn't seem to affect you. All you said was that you were sorry and then you turned and left me there in that room with my own emotions crawling up into my throat.

 

I fell in love with you and now you're gone

There's nothing left in my lonely room without you

 

I cried most of the night after I got back into the apartment I was living in. I couldn't sleep that night and I had a big day the next day. I timed it totally wrong. I couldn't get my head straight. I asked myself, as I sobbed, what was wrong with me...what made me so different than others? What did those other girls have that I didn't? The next day was my first big name Duelist circuit tournament. I made it through the first rounds...even made it to the finals. But I couldn't really concentrate. I hadn't had any sleep and when finals came....my heart wasn't really in the duel. I looked over to see where you, Marik and Malik always sat. Marik and Malik were there....but you weren't. You weren't there at all. My heart shattered even more as the final round started. I couldn't duel with a straight head. My rival for this round was much better than I was and took advantage of my distress. I tried as hard as I could but it was never the same. I lost the duel. Malik and Marik both acted concerned. I just congratulated the player that beat me, and left as soon as I could. You have no idea what it was like to collapse against your wall and cry until you made yourself sick. I swore I would never ever let myself be so stupid again.

 

I'm here and waiting for you

Where are you, I can't find you

I'm here and waiting for you

I'll wait forever for you

 

Now here I am with my own life. I have another job, I make good money and I had almost forgotten about those terrible demons in my past that haunted my dreams. I'm all grown up now. I'm not the same love struck teenager I was then. I had only seen you a few times after that....but it was always with someone else and you always avoided me after that. You have no idea how much it hurt. You have no idea how much it still hurts. I shouldn't be thinking about you. I should be thinking about my upcoming marriage.....although it's forced it's to Malik and not Marik thankfully. I fell in love with you. You took my heart for granted. I wasn't good enough back then. You were just a street punk player.....a handsome, charming street punk player. God why do you have to do this to me?! I'm getting married! I'm 19 all over again....I swore you would never hurt me again. But I know I never got over you. Every night for two years I prayed you would find me and tell me you didn't mean it, that you wanted me still. It never happened it was just a dream. Where are you now Joey?! Where are you when I need you?! Where were you then?! Did you even fucking care? I can feel the tears coming again. I couldn't control my sobs. I just started cuddling my cat, whiskers, and started crying my heart out again. It's only a matter of time before I have to marry Malik. I wish it was you. But you've changed. I've changed. What have you done to me Joseph Wheeler?! I hate you, I loathe you! Yet....I love you....I still love you....Damn you for making me feel like this. How can I marry Malik, as sweet as he is, when I can't see him, I only see you? You probably don't even hear me. You probably don't even care. You probably enjoy my torment. It doesn't matter....It never did.

 

I'm here and waiting for you

Where are you, I can not I cannot find you

I'm waiting for you

Where are you

Where are you?!


*The song repeats several times before fading out with Mai still sobbing on the couch*