Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Not The Guardian ❯ Encounters ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 - Encounters

The next day, there was no trace of the storm from the previous night. The sun was out, and the birds were singing. The boys woke up and went downstairs to find Téa already up and sipping at a drink.

Grandpa came in, and checked his watch. " School?" he asked. Everyone nodded. " You'd better go soon."

Grabbing a snack and their bags, they headed towards school.

Lessons had been okay, but the last ones of the day were usually boring. The day had been so hot, everyone was almost asleep. Yami and Téa shared a glance as the teacher droned on, and then one of the girls next to Téa handed her a note, indicating towards Yami. Téa handed it to him, shrugging. Quickly checking the teacher was still engrossed in the book he was reading from, Yami opened it.

Yugi,

Meet us at the café in town after school with your friends,

Steffi, Sara and Sian

He closed it again, and looked at the girl who had given it to him. She looked expectant, and he nodded nonchalantly. She jumped back and started whispering excitedly to a couple of girls near her, every so often glancing back in his direction and flashing him smiles. He handed the note to Téa, and she read it, nodding to him. The bell rang, and they picked up their books, walking past the three girls. " See you later," one smiled, and flounced out, her blonde curls bouncing up and down.

" Are you going to come?" Yami asked Téa as they walked out to meet Joey and Tristan.

" I don't know," she replied. " They probably don't mean me."

" Oh, come on, Téa. What about sticking together through thick and thin?"

" This isn't like that, though. This is just three blonde bimbos wanting to meet you guys. I'm not included."

" Come with us Téa. For me."

" All right, but only for a while."

Yami grinned, and Joey and Tristan came up to them.

" We've got a date about now," Yami told them. " Steffi, Sara and Sian want to meet us in the café in town."

" Fine," Tristan said, looking at Joey who nodded.

" Téa, you coming?"

She nodded reluctantly, following them as they set off.

Yami pushed the door open, and walked over to the three girls with the others behind. The girls' faces fell slightly when they saw Téa, but they positioned themselves so that each boy had to sit next to one of them. Yami pulled Téa down next to him, and gave her a smile when she looked at him.

" So, Yugi, I hear you duel for a hobby," one of the girls said. The others took that as a sign for them to start individual conversations. Téa sat and stared out the window at the people walking past, and slid into a daydream.

The three girls got up and Téa looked at them.

" We just need to freshen up," one of the girls said, setting them off giggling as they walked away.

" You okay, Téa?" Tristan asked.

" I'm fine," she replied. " Just bored. I might go in a minute. Just need to quickly `freshen up'." She stood up, and Yami caught her hand quickly.

" Thanks for coming Téa," he said. She smiled.

" Yeah, we needed back-up," Joey joked.

" Not that I did much," she laughed, and walked in the same direction as the girls.

As she pushed the door open, one of the girls pulled her in, and all three cornered her.

" Stay away," one of them warned. " We didn't ask for you to come."

" I'm one of Tristan's friends," Téa retorted.

" That's the problem," another said. She grabbed Téa's arm and twisted it, forcing her against the wall.

" Go away. You're not wanted. No one wants you. If you come back in, it won't be pretty."

All three girls pushed her to the floor, then walked back into the café.

Téa watched them go, then got up and walked out the back door, cradling her arm.

" Where's Téa?" Joey asked when the girls returned.

" She said she had to go," one replied, sitting next to him. " Don't worry about her. She'll be just fine."

Yami glanced out of the window and caught sight of Téa's retreating figure. She didn't look too happy, and was gingerly cradling her arm as if she had been hurt. He turned back round and looked at the three girls that were chatting happily, taking no notice of the girl they had just threatened.

Téa curled up on her bed and flipped the pages of her book. She had the window open to let in some air to her stuffy room, and had made sure the closet door was shut.

As she read, there were a few muffled thumps, and Téa looked up. The boys wouldn't be back home yet. Grandpa was out working in his shop. No one else was here. So what was that noise?

Téa got up and crept down the stairs. There was a loud bang that sounded like the front door, and she ran into the hallway.

" Guys, you're he…"

There was no one there. Looking out the window by the door, she saw a dark figure retreating into the cemetery. She opened the door and started to follow them.

" Hey! What are you doing here?" she yelled. There was no reply, and she carried on running through the long grass and gravestones until she reached a stone crypt and stopped at the entrance. There was no way she was going in there without the others. Sighing she turned away, wiping the moisture from her forehead.

Téa…Téa…

She stopped and turned back.

" Who's there?"

Téa…Téa…

The voice was coming from the crypt.

" Stop it! Whoever it is, show yourself!"

There was silence. A blast of cold air came from the entrance, and Téa started to run back to the path that would lead her to the house.

The heat pressed in on her, and she stumbled, only to find a pair of hands catch her and help her up.

" Téa, are you all right?"

She gasped as the person held too tight onto her swollen wrist, and looked up. It was Mai Valentine.

" Yeah…I'm okay…"

" What happened?"

" I - I heard voices…saw someone run into the crypt…" She looked back. All was still.

" Come on," Mai told her. " Your wrist looks bad. We need to get some cold water on it." She led Téa back to the house, and sat her down in the kitchen, soaking a cloth and wrapping it around Téa's wrist. " This house is obviously getting to you, huh?"

Téa nodded. " I keep hearing things. There's a closet in my bedroom, and last night I woke up to find the door open when I was sure I had shut it."

" One of the boys could have opened it."

" I know, but I was sure I saw movement in there."

" Probably just shadows. You've got a good imagination, Téa, but it can be a problem sometimes. Especially in a house like this."

Téa smiled. " How can you always manage to calm me down and make me see sense?"

Mai looked her in the eyes. " It's called being a good friend. Now, talking about friends, I heard the boys went out with the Troublesome Trio."

" Steffi, Sara and Sian?"

" None other."

" Why are they troublesome?"

Mai got up, and found a bandage in one of the drawers. " They see a boy they like, and stop at nothing to get their attention. If anyone gets in the way, the trio is not happy."

" I think I was on the receiving end of that," Téa muttered.

Mai looked at the wrist she was wrapping in the bandage. " I take it you went with the boys."

" Yami wanted me to come. The girls threatened me, so I left. I was going to leave anyway, so the guys won't get suspicious. Don't tell them, please Mai…"

Mai shook her head. " You sure? The boys are your friends, Téa. They are there for you, willing to protect you."

" I know, but if they're happy, I don't want to get in the way."

" You think blonde bimbos are the type the boys are after? Especially Yami. Come on, can you see a five thousand year-old pharaoh with Steffi?"

Téa laughed. " I guess not…"

" Besides, rumour has it that he's quite taken with you."

Téa sobered up. " Yami? He's one of my best friends!"

Mai grinned. " All the more reason. He's known you for quite a long time."

Téa blushed, and Mai patted her arm. " Talk to him. I'm sure he'd be willing to throw off any other admirers, especially a certain blonde one."

" What are you doing here, anyway?" Téa changed the subject.

" I came by just to say hi. I didn't see you during lessons today, and I couldn't find you at lunch."

" Joey and Yugi were duelling, so Tristan and I went with them to watch."

Mai slid Téa's arm into a sling and stepped back to admire her handiwork.

" There. Good as new."

" Thanks Mai."

" That's okay. Now, I'd better be getting back. I have a `friendly' duel with Weevil tonight, and I need to get ready."

Téa shook her head at her friend. " Good luck. You're going to need it."

" No I'm not. Weevil just needs someone to show him that he's not the best."

" And you are?"

Mai got up and headed for the door. " No. Yugi and Yami are."