Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Not The Guardian ❯ Enemies ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 - Enemies

Tristan walked up the path, Sian hanging onto his arm.

" Oh my God! You live here?"

" Yes," Yami replied, Steffi walking next to him. Joey and Sara were following, both deep in thought.

The door opened as Tristan reached it, and Mai walked out.

" Hi guys."

" What are you doing here?" Joey asked her, not accusatory.

" Just came to talk to Téa. She's waiting for you." Mai walked past them, a smug smile on her face.

Sara walked through the door last, and stood admiring the hallway with the other two girls. Téa came to the doorway of the kitchen.

" Guys, I was getting worried…" Her face fell when she saw the girls.

" Hello, Téa," the girls chorused, their voices dripping malice. The boys greeted her, unaware of the animosity.

Yami's gaze slid over Téa's face, and down to her arm.

" What happened?" he asked, leaving Steffi's side and going over to his friend. Behind him, the girls glared at her.

" It's nothing…I just tripped and sprained it. Mai bandaged it for me." Yami leant over and gave her a friendly hug. Over his shoulder, Téa could see the girls' faces, and she smiled to herself.

" Do you want a tour of the house?" Joey asked the girls.

" Sure!"

Yami turned to him, having noticed the looks on the girls' faces. " I just want to talk to Téa quickly. We'll be with you in a couple of minutes." He took Téa's good arm and led her into the kitchen while the others started walking round the house.

" What's wrong?" she asked Yami.

" That's what I want to know," Yami said. " You left suddenly, you hurt your arm, and the girls don't seem to be very comfortable when you're around."

Téa looked at him carefully, then sighed. " They want you guys to themselves. They threatened me and sprained my arm so I would get the message. I just didn't want to get in your way, if you are happy."

Yami shook his head. " I'm not happy if one of my close friends is being hurt. I'm going to sort this out."

" No, wait!" Téa put her hand on Yami's arm to stop him. " They've warned me once, and it's not like I'm going to get in their way again. They'll leave me alone, probably."

Yami wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Finally, he came to a decision. " I will leave it this time, but if it happens again, I want you to tell me."

Téa nodded. " I promise."

Joey sat in the living room with the others, watching the TV. Only Téa seemed to be uninterested, reading her book. How she could concentrate with the noise, Joey had no idea. She was really quiet, which was unlike her. He nudged Yami, and the pharaoh nodded.

" Do any of you want a drink?" he asked. The girls nodded, their eyes fixed on the television.

" Téa?" She looked up, and shook her head.

" No thanks, I'm okay."

Yami and Joey got up, silently indicating for Tristan to follow them.

When they had left the room, Steffi got up and took Téa's book out of her hand.

" We warned you, Téa Gardner."

Téa looked up innocently. " What have I done?"

" Yugi's too friendly with you for our liking."

Sian glared at her. " You're not supposed to be here, Téa. You're not interested in duelling, so why are you friends with people who only think about it and nothing else?"

" Because they're my friends," Téa replied, standing up. " And I'm not going to leave them just because you don't like me. Friends are better than that."

" You're not good enough for them," Steffi spat. " Why would anyone want to be friends with someone like you?"

" Because I believe in them. Unlike you, who are just interested in them because they look good."

Steffi grabbed the front of her shirt. " If you get in our way, Téa, you'll be sorry. Very sorry."

" There's nothing you can do to me."

" Sure?" Sara glanced at Téa's wrist. " It looks like we've already done something."

" It's only minor."

" This time."

The three boys walked back to the sitting room, Yami having explained to them about Téa and the girls. Just as Steffi pushed Téa back, they walked in, and Yami glared at the three blondes.

" I take it you were getting to know each other?" he asked quietly. The others knew that when he spoke quietly, it meant trouble. They moved into a protective circle round Téa, and Yami slid his arm around her.

" We were just talking," Steffi said sweetly.

" It looked a bit like a one-sided conversation to me," Joey snorted.

Yami stared at the girls, the intensity of his gaze scaring them. They crowded together.

" No one hurts my friends, especially Téa. No one. Do you understand?"

Steffi and Sian spluttered helplessly, while Sara had the good grace to look ashamed.

" If I ever see or hear about you threatening or trying to harm her again, I will not be as calm as I am now."

" But Yami…"

" NO BUTS!"

Silence.

" You will leave this house and never come near any of us again. Téa never did anything to you. Now go."

The three girls moved cautiously past the four friends, afraid that Yami or one of the others would try something. Steffi, getting slightly braver once she was out of Yami's reach, leant forward and hissed in Téa's ear;

" You'll pay for this, Téa Gardner." She gave Téa's wrist a last squeeze, then fled with Sian and Sara behind her when Yami took a menacing step towards her. The front door opened and closed with a bang, and Yami watched, satisfied, as three blonde figures ran down the path. He turned away to see Tristan and Joey already on the couch again. Téa stood next to him and squeezed his arm.

" Thanks," she whispered.