Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Not The Guardian ❯ Echoes and Whispers ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 - Echoes and Whispers

Téa followed the whispers down the path and into the crypt. She wanted to turn back, to run to her bedroom and bury herself underneath her covers, but still she walked.

Téa…Téa…

Shivering, she stepped into the darkness, and stopped before a large stone. There were words engraved on it, but she couldn't make them out.

Téa…You are here…

The voice was here. Who or what ever it was - they were in front of her.

" Who's there? Who are you?"

What or who I am is no matter…

" Why am I here? Why did you bring me here?"

You are here of your own volition…I merely gave you the idea…

" What do you want?"

I want you, Téa…You will help me get what I want…

" What if I don't want to help you?"

There was a low chuckle of laughter.

You will have no choice…Follow me…

She followed the echoes caused by the voice until she reached a tombstone. There were words engraved on it in elegant writing.

This one is for you…Read the words, Téa…Read the words…

She squinted against the darkness, and two letters came into focus.

" T…E…"

Once more the laughter.

" Téa Gardner."

The sheets were tangled round her, and she bolted upright, breathing hard. It was just a nightmare. There was no tombstone down there with her name on, obviously. Why should there be? No one would have known she was going to live here.

Sensing movement in the closet, she lay back down and turned away from the closed door, wishing whatever it was would go away.

Téa…Téa…

She gasped, hearing the whispering clearly.

Téa…Téa…

" No…go away…" she murmured, her voice coming out no more than a hoarse whisper.

The door creaked, and she whimpered, hoping it was a dream. She turned over to see a hand appearing round the door and pushing it open even further.

Yami finished off his drink of water and put the glass in the sink, exiting the kitchen and making his way upstairs back to his bedroom. As he passed Téa's room, he heard a creak and a whimper. He stopped and listened at the door. There was movement inside, and suddenly a scream pierced the silence of the night.

" Téa?" He burst into her room, to find her curled up, sobbing, and Joey standing in the middle of the small room, laughing.

" Gotcha!"

Yami frowned, moving over to sit beside Téa. " What happened?" He put his arms around her, and she buried her face in his chest.

" I'm going to kill you, Joey…" came her muffled voice as Yami comforted her.

" I found a passageway from Téa's closet that leads to the crypt. I went down and followed it back up here. I just meant to give her a fright, not terrify her," Joey explained, looking sheepish. Tristan and Grandpa burst in, both looking tired.

" What's going on?" Grandpa asked.

" Joey decided to give Téa a scare," Yami told them.

" Bad idea," Tristan observed. Grandpa sighed.

" If that's all, then I'm going back to sleep. If you don't mind."

" Sorry Grandpa," Joey apologized.

" It's not me you need to say sorry to." Grandpa walked out, followed by Tristan who gave Téa a last look, sure that Yami would take care of her.

Joey moved next to the bed, laying his hand on Téa's arm. " I'm really sorry, Téa. I didn't mean to scare you this much."

" Go away," came the muffled reply. Yami tightened his arms around her.

" I think you'd better go, Joey. Before she tries to throw something at your head."

Joey sighed. " I'm sorry, Téa."

Watching him leave the room, Yami turned to Téa.

" Are you okay?" Her tearstained face appeared and she looked up at him.

" Yeah, I guess."

" Bad night?"

She nodded, wiping her tears away. " Nightmare, then Joey."

" Ah."

Téa explained all her fears to Yami, including the nightmare she had, and the whispers and noises she had been hearing. He listened right until the end, then said;

" You think it's something to do with the house?"

" It could be. It's never happened before."

" We'll see what happens. There could be something here, or it could be your over-active imagination." He brushed his hand lightly over her cheek, and she gave him a watery smile.

" It probably is."

" None of us would hurt you intentionally, I promise."

" I know. I'll make the peace with Joey tomorrow."

" We're here for you Téa. We wouldn't let anything happen to you."

She smiled again.

" That's what I want to see, a smile!"

Her smile gave way to gentle laughter. " I'm sorry if I woke you guys."

" Joey would probably done it to any of us if we had this room, so there's nothing to worry about." He gave her another hug, then got up. " You sure you're going to be okay?"

Squeezing his hand, Téa lay down. " I'll be fine."

Yami bent over her and kissed her forehead lightly. " I'll see you tomorrow, then."

He moved out of the room and closed the door quietly, a soft smile on his face.