Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Not The Guardian ❯ Nightmares ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5 - Nightmares

(Two weeks later)

Téa had still been hearing noises and voices, and even the boys had heard them a couple of times. The subject of the house was ignored, and everyone was strained, tired because the noises kept them awake at nights.

School was a welcome normality in their eventful lives, and Mai did the best she could to keep Téa from going to sleep in the lessons they shared.

" Téa, you going to come to the café tonight?" she whispered.

Téa looked blankly at her, the dark rings under her eyes from lack of sleep catching the light so her face looked sunken. " What's happening?"

" There's going to be a massive fight. Some boys in another class are fighting the guys in here."

" Why?"

Mai shrugged. " Don't know. Weevil's going to be there."

Téa gave her a ghost of a smile. " Tormenting him, huh? I heard you won, still a thousand life points ahead."

Mai looked at her sideways. " I had to keep up my reputation. Besides, you should have heard the way he carried on about himself. The look on his face when I beat him," she leaned back, an expression of bliss on her face, " was priceless."

The bell rang and Téa grabbed her books. " I'm meeting the guys. You coming?"

Mai nodded, realizing that Téa had managed to avoid the question. " Coming tonight?"

Téa shook her head. " I'm going to try and get some sleep tonight."

Mai put her hand on her friend's shoulder. " You sure staying there is a good idea? You could come to mine for a couple of nights."

Téa started walking, Mai following her. " I might just take you up on that."

Yami glanced up and down the corridor, waiting for the others to be let out of lessons. A young girl, who looked like Sian approached him, looking very confident.

" Yugi?"

" Hello, Letti."

" Are you doing anything on Friday?"

" I'm not sure. Why?"

" I thought you could come to the café with me."

Yami started stalling, trying to think of an excuse. " I don't know, I'll have to check…Téa! Over here!" He waved, catching her attention. She and Mai started walking towards him and Letti, and when they reached them, he pulled Téa to him and kissed her full on the lips. Pulling back but still holding her, her grinned at her surprised face. " What are we doing on Friday?"

Téa was still shocked. " Um…you're supposed to be giving that guy from Jones's class a run for his money. Why?"

He looked at Letti, satisfied to see a scowl on her face. " Sorry, I can't come. Maybe another time."

She turned and shrugged, moving away. " Yeah. Whatever."

Téa pulled out of his grasp. " What the hell was that?!" she asked, half-amused, half-shocked.

" You just got me out of a date with Letti. Thank you!" He hugged her again and kissed her cheek. " Thank you!" He started dancing down the hallway. Tristan and Joey arrived, looking at Mai and Téa for an explanation.

" Tell you later," Mai told them. " We'd better follow him - who knows where he'll go when he's in this mood."

" There's someone going down to the cemetery," Grandpa noticed, glancing out the window in the kitchen. " Can two of you go and find out who it is?"

Tristan and Joey disappeared, suddenly remembering they had to do something else. Yami looked at Téa.

" I guess it is just you and me," he told her. She nodded, sighing.

Outside was cold and windy. Téa couldn't understand why anyone would want to be out on an evening like that.

A shadow flitted across a tree in front of them, and Yami put his hand out, causing Téa to stop. " They have gone inside," he told her. Suddenly it got a whole lot colder, and Téa shivered. Yami had a strange look on his face, and Téa felt her knees weaken, leaning against a tree. " They are strong. They don't want us here," he said, more to himself.

" Yami, let's go back," Téa said. There was no answer - Yami had stiffened. " Yami?"

Still no answer. " Yami! Let's go!" Yami reached out his hand and stopped. He was still stiff, and Téa began to get scared. " Yami? What is it?" As she stared at his outstretched hand, she felt an irrational rush of fear shoot through her. " Yami - let's go - please!"

She hadn't even realized that she'd grabbed his arm, and now as she tried to turn him around, he looked down at her, remotely amused.

" You're pretty strong for being so little."

" Yami, I mean it - you're scaring me…"

Nodding, he reached down and gently pried her fingers from his arm. " Let's go back to the house. It's gone now, anyway."

" What? What's gone?"

" Nothing. Never mind."

He strode off, not waiting for Téa and she had to run to catch him up. " What are you talking about?" she asked him. " There's something in there, isn't there?"
Yami nodded. " You know. You can feel it too."

She sighed, half in relief. " I'm not the only one. I thought I was going mad."

Shaking his head, Yami stopped and put his hand on her arm gently. " Téa, you're not mad. You are sensitive, that is all. Whatever is in there is using us as a medium to get what it wants. But nothing has happened so far, so obviously we are too strong for it. You have to believe in yourself, Téa. No harm will come to you if Tristan, Joey and I are here."

Téa looked up at the inviting house. " You think anything will happen?"

" I do not know. We shall have to wait and see."

They walked the rest of the way to the house in silence, both deep in thought. When they finally entered the kitchen, Téa sank gratefully into a chair and rested her head on the table, watching as Grandpa made the dinner.

" Hungry, Téa?" he asked her kindly, noticing how pale she looked.

" No, actually. I think I might just go to bed, Mr Moto," she replied. " I've got a headache coming on."

He nodded, understanding, while Yami stood in the corner watching her. " Sleep well, Téa."

She turned and smiled at the pharaoh. " Thanks."

The nightmares were back.

Téa had drifted off restlessly, lulled by the dull thudding of rain against her windowpane, yet once she was asleep she felt surprisingly awake, as if she were watching herself caught up in the events of the dream.

She was dying.

The glow of gold in front of her was blinding, and she could feel herself slipping away, unable to hold onto reality.

She was alone.

And she didn't like it. She screamed, wishing someone, anyone, would come and help her, and suddenly it was real; suddenly someone was holding her and she was safe at last in a pair of strong steady arms.

" Téa, it's only a dream. You're okay."

And Yami was there, and his arms were around her, and the light spilling in from the hall was safe and real…

" I'm dead," Téa whispered, and she began to cry, and Yami held her tighter and rocked her.

" No. It was only a nightmare. Go back to sleep."

" I'm scared," she said, but her voice was muffled against his bare shoulder. " The Millennium Eye…Pegasus…he's here…killed me…"

" Shh…" Yami stroked her back. " It's not real Téa. Go to sleep."

" Don't leave me."

" I'll stay."

Sleep was a comfort, and Téa felt herself being pulled back down into the darkness, soothed by Yami's hand running up and down her back.