Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ When That Day Comes ❯ Disaster Can Always Find a Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Again, I don't own YuGiOh and I wish I did. But that day won't even happen in my dreams. Now, again as well, don't mind the OOCness (I messed that up in the last chapter, sorry!) of some characters. And for those of you who have made it this far without falling asleep, the story. But first a flashback.

When That Day Comes

Chapter 2: Disaster Can Always Find a Home

*last chapter*

"Oh, are you sure? You'd be surprised, my hikari"

"Well, it concerns Rikoh and the party so I guess it would be of benefit to tell someone…"

*this chapter*

"Ok then out with it! You're killing me!"

"Calm down Bakura! And you should eat your eggs while I'm explaining it."

He sat down and stared at me while picking up small portions of his meal occasionally.

My mind replayed the whole thing as I was talking to my yami…

*flashback to dream*

"Is everyone ready?" I asked as I looked around at the living room. It was filled with colorful decorations and familiar faces.

"Yeah, just go hurry up and get her!" shouted Jonouchi.

"I'm going!" I said as I walked out the front door and continued in the direction of Rikoh's house. It was only a few blocks away. When I reached the door I rang the doorbell and waited patiently for the door to open.

When it did, I faced a sad-looking Rikoh.

"H-hi Rikoh. Would you like to come over to my house today?" I questioned.

"I guess… are you sure you want me to come?" She replied in a dull, monotone voice.

I giggled a little.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know… I'm sorry I asked that." She looked down at the ground.

"It's ok. Come on! We'll walk together!" I said enthusiastically as I stepped backwards a bit.

She looked up at me with eyes filled with sadness but put on a fake smile and a fake cheery voice.

"Ok." She laughed an empty laugh and started off to my house with me.

The whole walk was silent, both of us smiling. The only difference was hers was a mask. I couldn't help but wonder why she'd be so sad on her birthday…

As we walked up the walkway she glanced at me and I glanced back. She quickly looked away, as to hide something. I opened the door and let her walk in first. As soon as she did, every one shouted, "surprise!"

"W-what's this?" Rikoh asked with a false happiness ringing in her voice.

"It's a surprise birthday party for you! That's what we've been planning all week," I said as I closed the door behind me.

"Th-thank you, all of you." Rikoh said.

"Well don't just stand there, come in and join us!" Bakura shouted to break the silence.

Rikoh walked in and examined the room. As her eyes fell to where the cake and presents were she got a look of pure amazement. It's almost as if she didn't expect there to even be a party.

I followed her in and she greeted and thanked everyone personally. When she thanked me, I could almost see a tint of red come across her cheeks.

"May I be excused form this party for a moment?" Rikoh asked and walked off in the direction of the bathroom.

Everyone began to chat amongst themselves. I decided to follow Rikoh, just incase of something happening. As I approached the door I could hear sniffing and mumbling. I moved my ear to rest on the door in order to decipher what she was saying.

"Why would they do this for me? I don't deserve any of this… I don't even deserve a party… They shouldn't have to deal with me… I didn't trust them. I thought they had left me… They should… I'm just a burden and a waste of money…" I could hear Rikoh saying to herself through her tears.

Why would she think that? What would make her think that we would ever leave her or not throw her a party for her birthday?

I knocked lightly on the door. A loud thud came from the inside.

"Rikoh? What happened in there?" I asked, wondering what happened.

"Nothing, I just slipped on the rug," came her voice with obvious struggle to conceal the crying.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll be out in a minute."

"Ok," I said as I leaned against the door opposite the bathroom. I waited a few minutes and suddenly heard another thud, but this one was a little quieter.

"Rikoh?" I questioned, wanting to see if she was all right again.

No answer came from her.

"Rikoh?" I said again.

Still no noise escaped the bathroom.

"Rikoh?" I was becoming very worried.

When there was still no answer I opened the door and gasped. Rikoh was lying unconscious on the floor with a gash in her wrist.
"Rikoh!" I shouted and ran over to her body.

*back to regular time*

"Wow… that's one intense dream to have…" Bakura said, actually concerned.

"I… I don't want that to be true…" I said looking Bakura in the eye, as he was staring at me the whole time.

"Neither do I, my hikari." Bakura replied.

I was surprised at this. Normally he didn't care for anyone but himself…

"What should I do? Do you think that would actually happen?"

"I think we should visit Rikoh before we go to the bakery today. We need to give her a legitimate excuse before she does start to think like that." Bakura was blushing slightly again when he said that.

"Bakura, what is with you this morning? You've blushed twice in the past hour!"

"I have not! I'm just feeling warm lately! Do you have the heat on or something?" He shouted as he stood up.

"No, I don't. Are you sure? It's not bad if you did blush…"

"How many times do I have to tell you I didn't?! Now finish getting ready so we can go to Rikoh's before hand." Bakura yelled as he stomped up the stairs.

I laughed quietly to myself and cleared both of our plates. I wasn't in the mood for eggs anyway…

*************************************************************** ***********************

7:30… I don't normally wake up this early Sunday mornings… Oh well, now that I am up there's no point in going back to bed.

I got up and walked downstairs, not bothering to change out of my pajamas. I pulled out my notebook and started to write my latest fic while sitting in the living room on the armchair. I couldn't wait until I got up to the part where the protagonist was going to be faced with-

The doorbell rang. Who would come here this early in the morning? I put my book back down and opened the door.

"Ryou?! Bakura?! What are you doing here?! Not that I don't want to see you…" I was blushing and stuttering. They're seeing me in my pajamas! My huge, baggy, flannel pants and my loose tank top.

"We just wanted to stop by for a bit… that is if we can…" Bakura trailed off.

Bakura actually wanting to come here? That's a new one for the records…

"Oh, sure. If you don't mind that I'm not dressed yet… I mean, I just woke up."

"It doesn't bother me. We wanted to tell you something also."

"Ok, well, you can come in and sit down if you like." I opened the door wider so they could walk inside. I was still extremely embarrassed that of all people to see me in my pajamas, it had to be Ryou and Bakura.

We all sat down in the living room.

"Rikoh, Ryou just had a dream last night and well… let's say we're now concerned about you…"

Both Ryou and I looked intently at Bakura

"You are?" We said in unison.

Bakura blushed. And that's another record…

"Yes, I am concerned. Is that a problem?"

"N-no… just… different…" I said, Ryou was still staring at him.

"Well, have you been thinking about anything lately? Specifically about yourself?"

I blushed. Was Ryou a psychic? Did he dream my thoughts yesterday? Can I tell them?

"I-I… I…"

"Rikoh, please tell me you haven't been thinking what I think you've been!" Ryou jumped out of his seat and was now staring at me instead of Bakura. I blushed even more.

"Well… what do you think I'm thinking?"

"You know… yourself… and… maybe something about… blood…"

I went an even brighter shade of red. What exactly had he seen in his dream?

"I… haven't gone to that extreme yet…"

"Rikoh! How could you even start to have thoughts about that?!" Bakura was now out of his seat.

I glanced at Bakura, then Ryou. How could I? They were so worried… You shouldn't cause them stress like that… See what they mean?!

"I don't know… It started just yesterday afternoon…"

Both boys got a look of defeat on their faces.

"Saturday…" Ryou murmured.

"The pizza place… and the arcade…" Bakura sat down as well as Ryou.

"It's ok you guys. I had lunch with Usagi instead. I promise I won't ever think like that again."

Ryou looked up at me. "I am so sorry. But we're going to be a bit busy this week. So are Kirei, Yugi, Atemu, Jonouchi, Anzu, and Honda. We're going to be… preparing for someone's arrival."

Bakura eyed Ryou, then looked at me. "Just remember we're not ditching you. We'd never do that."

I looked at Bakura completely shocked. What had gotten into him?! He's never acted this way before!

"Ok… I promise I won't be like that again." I said and put on the best smile I could muster without it looking too fake.

"Oh! Ra, I just realized we're going to be late meeting the others! Sorry Rikoh, but we have to go!" Ryou said as he stood up.

"It's ok. Have fun!" I said with a false enthusiasm.

Bakura looked at me in a way that made me feel like he cared so much… like he knew I was faking it…

"See ya." He said as Ryou and he walked out and closed the door.

The smile quickly faded from my face. He knew… there's no more hiding it from him… he knows that I've been thinking worse than I let on… How could I let them know? You baka! You burdened them with your own self-pity. They should not have to worry about your well being.

I ran up to my room and closed the door. Why am I thinking like this? I've never felt like this before, only since yesterday. I don't want to think like this… But I do. No! Why does my mind fight itself?

/Because you are holding on to a false hope./

//Wha… Who are you?//

/I'm your mind, of course./

//But why would I talk to myself?//

/I'm not the one responding to me./

//Why are you talking to me?//

/You mean, why are you talking to you./

//No, I want to know why you claim to be me but your voice is not mine.//

/Your darker side never sounds as your lighter one does; it's common knowledge. Just look at Ryou and Bakura./

//But… does that mean you're my yami?//

/If you want to put it that way. But I don't control your body as such Bakura used to do to Ryou./

//Then what do you do?//

/Live on and you'll see. Though with me, that will be quite difficult./

//Huh?//

My mind did not reply. Was my mind going to kill me? But that's impossible… Right?

*************************************************************** ******************

Rikoh… she already did… but… why? Did she not see how much everyone cares about her? She keeps our group laughing.

Bakura and I headed to the bakery in silence. Neither was expecting that kind of answer. Atleast I hope that's what's bothering Bakura…

As we opened the door and walked inside, Kirei, Otogi, and Atemu came to greet us.

"Where's Yugi?" I asked, noticing that the shorter, tri color haired boy was missing.

"Bathroom, said to wait for him to start looking," Atemu said, glancing in the direction of the bathroom door.

"Oh, well he'd better hurry `cause we're all here." Bakura said.

"So why were you late?" Kirei questioned, knowing something was wrong.

"Um… well… it was Rikoh," I managed to get out.

"Is something wrong with her?" Yugi popped out of no where and sounded concerned.

"Yugi! You're back!" Atemu shouted, looking at Yugi, who was suddenly standing next to him.

"Of course, how long did you think it would take?" he replied, giving his yami an odd look.

"Oh well, let Ryou continue his story," Atemu said, turning his gaze towards me.

"Um… well… I don't know how to put it…" I stuttered.

"She's been… thinking some things…" Bakura tried to continue for me.

"Oh, wow. Really? Rikoh of all people?" Kirei asked.

"Do you even know what he was trying to imply?" I questioned, giving Kirei a confused look.

"Y-Yeah, I g-guessed from what you said." She looked embarrassed.

"Oh, well by your reaction I can tell it was a pretty good guess."

Kirei just nodded.

"Well, for you two, since you still look dumbfounded, Rikoh's thoughts haven't been on the positive side lately." Bakura addressed Yugi and Atemu.

Both got a look of shock on their faces.

"Rikoh?!" They both said in unison.

"Yeah, I know. But she looked so happy when we went to see her…" I mentioned.

"She does that sometimes. Acts happier than she is. But I'd never think she was actually unhappy." Kirei said.

"Could… we just go pick out the design now? It's kinda making me depressed thinking about it…" I broke the silence after Kirei had spoken.

"Not you too Ryou!" Yugi shouted.

"Oh, come off it. I wasn't talking about that kind of depression."

"Good." Yugi said and walked over to the huge display case.

We all followed Yugi and started pointing out our favorite designs.

*************************************************************** ******

What to do… what to do… I've been sitting on the couch with writer's block all afternoon. What was my mind telling me? And was that really my mind?

I put one hand on my head. It was all so confusing. I already had so many ideas floating around my head that I couldn't grasp; another thing to think about is too much. I went back to the confinement of my room and turned on the computer. Maybe checking my mail would clear my mind…

As the system loaded all of its settings, I looked around my empty room. The only thing on the wall was the picture of Ryou, Bakura, and me that I hung up. Kirei had taken it at the school picnic last year. Ryou was sitting on the blanket next to me when Kirei told us she wanted a picture of us. Bakura jumped in last minute and put an arm on each of our farthest shoulders. It still came out good. My dad had let me scan it on the computer and enlarge it.

Every time I look at that picture I blush. It almost looks as if both of the people I like are in the same room as me… Just looking at it now is making me think about our earlier conversation. Did Ryou really have a dream where I… I hope not. And did Bakura really know that I masked my true feelings?

Not a single message had arrived. There goes my plan of clearing my mind. I walked over to my bed and lay down. Just as I did I heard a knock on my door.

"Who is it?" I asked the intruder of my peace.

"Your mother. Please let me in."

I walked over to the door and opened it.

"You know, I don't lock it."

"I just didn't want to walk in on you."

"Oh well, what is it that you want?"

"Nothing much, just for you to do something besides sit up in your room. It's a beautiful spring day and you're wasting it inside."

"I'm just checking my mail. I promise I'll go outside in a little bit."

"Ok, just don't forget to. I know you too well."

"I'm not going to forget to go outside! That's too big to forget!"

"Alright, I was just joking with you. I'll be in the living room if you want me," was my mother's departing words as she walked down the stairs and made a left.

I quickly closed the door. Did she understand nothing of privacy?! Every time she walks out of my room she forgets to close the door!

I walked back to my bed and sat staring at the picture on my wall for a few minutes. Suddenly the computer sounded. What a coincidence… just when I'm on I get an email…

As I read it, my eyes widened. It was from the same person as last time!

`Rikoh,

The time is drawing closer. Your mind will not be as it was before. For the sake of those who you care about and your own, do not give in to it. The fate of your whole city will depend on your actions once the time has come. Beware of Anubis. He will be your downfall. Traitors will form, but not on purpose. Beware of the signs of Anubis.'

Again, it wasn't signed. Anubis? Wasn't that the Egyptian God of Death? And what signs would be for Anubis? How did this person know my mind was split? This was just way too freaky… Maybe some fresh air would do me some good…

I took my notebook outside and climbed up to my favorite branch in the big tree in the front yard. It was the best place for me to take in nature around me. Ryou and Bakura once came over while I was up here. They joined me and we had a great time… If only they could come just once more…

The spark for my next fic had just formed and I started rapidly scribbling down the story. If only I could stay in here forever… If only I could get away from this horrid world… If only my escape world in my head were in existence… I would be there so much.

A never-ending field of grass and colorful flowers. Butterflies and birds fluttering about. A circlet of trees just like the one I'm resting in right now. Little rabbits and forest animals coming out to greet you. That's my dream world… My get-away that I'll never be able to really see… The peace and harmony I wish the world could, for once, reside at. If only…

***********************************************************

So many thing yet to be done… only four days left… Atleast we have a cake, balloons, and presents. What would a party be without those?

Bakura had stayed downstairs in the living room, probably playing video games. I, on the other hand, had found a quiet resting-place in my room. My imagination was my greatest tool of happiness. I don't know why Bakura would waste his mind staring at a television while beating up another being. What joy can you get from that?!

I opened my eyes from ending a pleasant daydream. I don't know if I should call it a daydream because I am just imagining it in my head, controlling everything. Rikoh was in it… just her and me in an open field of grass and flowers of many colors. We were laughing… and having so much fun… if only that could really happen.

As I sat up, my eyes fell on the one solitary thing on my wall. The picture Kirei had given me from the school picnic last year. Rikoh, Bakura, and I were in it. Though, Bakura was not originally supposed to be there. I smiled as I settled my view on Rikoh. She was laughing from Bakura's sudden entrance. All of us were but Rikoh's smile was so beautiful…

************************************************************

Damnit! Lost again! How come I can never beat that level? Oh well, it's starting to bore me anyway. One more minute and it would be in the Shadow Realm. Let's go see what Ryou's up to…

As a reincarnated tomb robber, I was very good at stealth. Sneaking up to Ryou's door, I looked through the crack in the door. What was he staring at? And why does he have that stupid smile on his face?!

I followed his line of view to see… What?! How did he have one too?! Kirei had given me that same picture! I crept by and went into my room. I plucked the picture off the wall and stared at it in my hands. That was one funny picture… I wasn't even supposed to be in it.

All of us laughing… It was great to capture such a good moment on film. That was probably one of the few times Rikoh was smiling for real… no… it was the only time. When she moved here she was such a quiet little girl. Always staying in the back of the classroom. Never smiling at anyone. Always writing something in that notebook of hers. If it hadn't been for Ryou I probably would have never met her… or fallen in love with her. This is the first time I have loved someone for so long… But she'd probably never return the affection.

Rikoh was just like the teacher's pet. Always answering correctly. Never getting below a 95 on any test. Being all of Jonouchi's, Honda's, and Anzu's tutor. Never taking credit for anything she got publicly recognized for… She always said "It's no big deal" or something like that. She never wanted attention. That's what made her different from a teacher's pet. But sometimes her modesty was too much. Sometimes she said she didn't deserve it…

What scares me is her self-esteem. Rikoh was always doing things for others and never asking for anything in return. She even gave Yugi her lunch money when he forgot his and didn't accept the payment back. Speaking of which… I don't think I ever see her eating lunch… But that can't be good for her; she's already under weight. She couldn't be… Rikoh would never… But this afternoon…

I'll just do something to get my mind off her. It's almost as if all my thoughts are erased when Rikoh is on my mind.

I found what looked like a scrapbook deep under my bed. What could this possibly be from? I gasped audibly as I opened the cover and read who it belonged to.

*************************************************************** ***********************

And that's the end of chappie number two! Yay! Another out of the way! Sorry it took sooo long to post! Schoolwork is evil (as Kirei would know). For those of you waiting to read my continuation of "Miss You," it should be up soon. Sorry again! Please review! And again, I don't care if it's a flame. Before I get to the end, I would like to add some small answers/ comments to my reviews (only 2)

DugFinn

Thanks soo much! I can't wait until "Insert A Cool YuGiOh Related Title" is updated! But I promise I will get the third chapter up with a shorter wait than this one. That is, if atleast 3 people give me new reviews.

Sakiyama

Thank you to you too! The reason she woke up on the floor will be revealed later. And again, 3 will hopefully be up soon (depends on if enough people review) and I'll try and update my other fic.

Now to all of you people who want to feel special by having your review answered in the next chapter, review!!!!!