Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ X-ness ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Right, first time writing a crossover with Yu-Gi-Oh and X-Men: Evolution. Stuff you need to know.

Logan, Ororo and Charles can speak Japanese.

Yugi can speak English, but not fluently.

Yami has a physical shape, but he can still go inside the puzzle and soul room.

Get that? And, believe or not, I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or X-Men. They belong to some other guy.

***

Turtle Game Shop-night

Two teenage boys were sitting together on the upper windowsill of the Turtle Game Shop, their feet kicking around in the air. Both had hair that surrounded their heads like a halo, aside from the fact that they had black, purple and yellow in it. They were chatting quietly, trying to be as quiet as possible without disturbing-

"YUGI, YAMI! GET DOWN FROM THERE!" A yell rang across the still night air of Domino and a very angry Grandpa stomped inside the room. "Honestly boys, you will get hurt sitting that far out of the window. What if you fell?" The smaller of the two turned around, amusement glinting in his eyes.

"Don't worry Grandpa, Yami wouldn't let me fall." The older (By 3000 years) nodded and wrapped his arms protectively around his aibou. Solomon sighed.

"That's not the point. Now you two, get into bed. I mean it this time." Solomon turned away. You need your strength for the news tomorrow. Solomon thought gravely. Yugi, seeing the look of sadness on his grandfather's face, decided not to argue. He swiftly climbed back in and jumped into his bed. Yami did the same. (Into his own bed, perverts!)

"Night Grandpa," they chorused in unison. Solomon nodded, satisfied, and left the room. But that didn't stop them from talking to each other.

<Aibou? >

<Hai? What's wrong? > Yugi sat up and faced his darker half. Yami was staring up at the ceiling, frowning.

<Did you feel that Grandpa didn't tell us something? > Yugi tilted his head thoughtfully.

<Well, he'll tell us when he thinks we should know. > He smiled slightly. <Don't be so nosy Yami. > Yami also smiled.

<Me, nosy? What on earth are you talking about? > Yugi giggled and sent a pillow flying in Yami's direction.

<Ha! Missed. > The next pillow hit him dead on.

Solomon watched through the crack in the door. Will this be the last time I see them so happy? He thought sadly. Solomon then shut the door silently and crept away to retire for the night.

***

Morning

The pair sat in the kitchen the next day, eating breakfast, just like any other day. Unfortunately, the news that Solomon was about to deliver, was going to change all that…

"WHAT?" Yami spat his orange juice across the table and Yugi nearly choked on his cereal. They stood up at the same time and ranted different things. Solomon couldn't even catch what they were saying due to the muddled up voices.

"Calm down you two. Don't worry, you're not leaving me forever or anything. Charles Xavier is a good friend of mine." Yugi collapsed in his chair and asked quietly,

"How long are we going to stay there? And why are we even going?" Solomon shook his head.

"Why are you going. There is only supposed to be one person, so Yami will have to be kept a secret. As for how long… I don't know, not too long. The reason is mostly for your English. But I'll visit you for the holidays," he said encouragingly. "Don't worry. It shouldn't be that bad." Yami grumbled and sat down in Yugi's lap.

"It shouldn't be too bad, my ass. How am I going to hide from them? " Solomon smiled tiredly and ruffled Yami's multi-coloured spikes.

"What's this? The great King of Games refuses a challenge?" Yami smirked at that and sat back into his aibou's chest and folded his arms.

"I accept your challenge." Yugi sighed and shook his head.

<You can never give up a game, do you? >

<Nope. > But their conversation was cut short. Solomon slapped his head and checked his watch.

"I forgot. There is an interview at Kaiba Land (Is that what its called?) for you. You have fifteen minutes to get there." Yugi eeped and pushed Yami off his lap.

"Come on Yami, we will be late!" he shouted, grabbing his coat. But when he turned around, Yami had already retreated into his puzzle.

<Nah, you do the running. I'm still tired. Besides, why do you have to take so many interviews anyway? >

Yugi started running towards Kaiba Land with the Millennium Puzzle bouncing against his chest.

<I have no idea Yami, but you just sleep during it anyway. I have a feeling that this is going to be aired on TV so don't talk while this interviewer is questioning me. > Yami just smiled and sat comfortably in his bed, in the soul room.

<We will see about that, aibou. >

Solomon watched his grandson disappear around the corner sadly. To tell the truth, I don't know why I agreed to this. Why does Charles want Yugi to go? And for how long will he have to stay?

***

In Bayville (Is that how you spell it?)

"Alright bub, time is up." Evan grabbed the remote off Scott, whom was protesting loudly.

"Hey, I was watching that!" Evan twirled the remote and switched the channel.

"Not anymore, I've been waiting all month for this." The blond settled down in one of the couches and Scott glared at him from behind his glasses.

"It's all in Japanese! You won't be able to understand that. Now switch it back." Evan snorted.

"Ever heard of the word `translator'? Besides, I know some basic Japanese and the channel will be in English. Sorry, but I do NOT want to miss this."

"Spyke's right." Kurt bampfed into the room. "I vant to see this as vell you know." Scot threw up his hands in defeat.

"Fine then. What are you watching anyway?" Kurt placed a finger to his blue lips and turned to watch the screen. A reporter flickered up into view. She seemed to be outside a very, very large mall of some sort. Next to her was an empty chair.

"Welcome to Kaiba Land! Here, inhabitants of Domino come to relax and play with the many games that the owner of Kaiba Corp. has set up. But now, we are expecting the King of Games and the Champion. The only one to beat the creator of the well-known Duel Monsters, Yugi Motou. Unfortunately, he seems to be running a little late and- oh! Here he is now!" A teenage boy came into view. He had very `punk' like garments, black, loaded with metal studs and leather. But his face was radiating with innocence that did not seem to fit the Goth outfit. The most unusual thing about this boy was his gravity-defying, tri-coloured hair. To the X-Men, he looked no older than thirteen, but as they know well enough, looks can deceive.

"Jeez," said Rouge as she walked in and plonked herself on the sofa next to Evan, whom was staring at the TV with unbroken concentration. "He looks darker than I can ever go. Love the shirt though, wonder where he got it from?"

"Shhhh."

***

At the interview

"Ah, I'm very sorry that I'm late," Yugi said in English, stumbling a little over the words. The reporter smiled encouragingly.

"It's alright Mr Motou. Now shall we start with the interview." Yugi nodded tiredly and sat down on the chair. The reporter pushed her glasses up onto to her nose and began.

" Mr Motou, you look awfully young to have beaten the inventor of Duel Monsters. How old are you anyway?" The boy sighed sceptically and settled back into the chair.

"I'm fifteen, almost sixteen. (Don't know whether that is right.)." The reporter nearly dropped her mike in surprise.

***

The X-Men also had similar reactions.

"He's fifteen?" Evan shouted. "Are you kidding me? How can he be fifteen?" Kurt scratched his head thoughtfully.

"Well, he is a little short…but his hair adds a few more inches." Evan snorted at this and carried watching.

***

"Really, you're fifteen! No offence, Mr Motou, but you look a bit younger than that." Yugi shrugged.

"I'm short."

<Hey aibou, you want me to kick her nosy little ass? > Yugi eyes widened, unnoticed by the camera, while the reporter rambled on with an apology.

<Yami! > He hissed mentally. <Not now. > Yami huffed impatiently and crossed his arms. <Besides> Yugi went on. < I thought you were asleep. >

< Not anymore. >

"Um…Mr. Motou?" the reporter brought Yugi back down to earth. He turned red in front of the camera and stuttered out an apology.

"Sorry, I do that sometimes." He placed his hand behind his head in an embarrassed fashion. Great, now how am I going to explain why I was staring into space.

"Oh, okay. Anyway, at the Duellist Kingdom, what on earth did you do with the money when you won?" Yugi relaxed when he saw that the reporter had no problems with him zoning off.

"I…I gave it away." Once again the microphone nearly slipped out of the reporter's hand. She couldn't believe what she had heard. The boy might not look like it, but he has a too good a heart to be true.

***

Everybody's mouth fell open.

"WHAT THE HECK? HE GAVE AWAY 3 MILLION DOLLARS!" Evan, Scott and Rouge shrieked in unison.

"Vha- how can he do that?" asked a confused Kurt. But the others where too busy yelling to notice. (OOC??? Heh)

"What the hell is going on in here?" Logan stood in the doorway with his arms folded and a very annoyed look on his face. "Can't I even read a newspaper in this place?" Evan pointed to the screen where a shocked reporter was busy shuffling her papers.

***

"You…gave away 3 million dollars?" she said in disbelief. Yugi grinned.

"Yep, but I wasn't in the tournament for the money anyway. The money went to a good cause. My best friend's sister was losing her eyesight and the operation was very expensive…" he shook his head, indicating that he didn't want to talk about it.

"But then why did you take part in the duels in the first place." Yugi smiled sadly. The memories were still painful for him and he tried not to think about them as often as he could. But, as things are, they were unavoidable.

< Can I now, hikari? > Yugi didn't answer Yami.

"To help someone dear to me," he murmured. "If I didn't take part, then someone I know would get hurt very badly…" The reporter leaned forward, curious.

"So you were threatened?" Yugi seemed shocked at the idea.

"Heck, no," he laughed lightly. He decided now was a good time to get away. "I apologise, but I really must go. My friends are duelling right now and I want to see them. Thank you very much." He got up from the chair and quickly walked away.

"Thanks again, Mr. Motou!" the reporter shouted after him. "Well, there you have it folks. But it doesn't end here. We actually got some cameras hidden in the area where Mr. Motou's friends are duelling. Here it is, live."

***

The TV flickered and switched to a duelling arena, where a tall brunette was standing at one end and a blond at the other. The reporter's voice came on.

"Here we have Mr. Seto Kaiba and Mr. Katsuya Jounoochi. Apparently two close friends of Mr. Motou. They are about to start a new fight." Seto said something in Japanese and the translator the TV crew had hired went to work.

"Ready for a fight…um…Jou?" Logan burst out laughing at what the obviously embarrassed translator said.

"Logan, what's wrong?" Logan, still sniggering, answered.

"The idiot didn't exactly translate everything that this Kaiba guy said. He left out a whole string of insults and swearing thrown at the blond." Kurt's eyes widened and Rogue and Evan also started laughing.

"Well, go on. Translate!" And so, Logan spat out the insults that were currently being traded across the arena. (Won't put swearing…yet)

"Ready for our duel, mutt?"

"Obviously, neko-Seto. I'm saddened to hear that you couldn't tell a ready duellist from any lazy one. "

"Idiot, true duellists are always ready."

"Well, what are you waiting for, snob?" And the match had begun.

(Sorry, I don't know enough about the game to describe it. Let's just say that the duel went on for 40 minutes and Kaiba won.)

End of duel

The blond pounded his table in defeat. Kaiba just smirked and picked up his deck.

"Nice playing with you mutt." Jou mumbled something that no one could hear and also picked up his cards. They both headed to the exit.

Evan had been watching the duel unblinkingly. Logan had shaken his head at the technology wasted on a stupid card game and Kurt, Rogue and Scott were as fascinated as Evan was.

"Did you see how that Blue Eyes White Dragon smashed Jou! I mean, it looked as if he could feel the blow, by the way he shielded himself with his arms." Evan talked about the game with Kurt and Rogue changed the channel to the news.

"Damn weatherman," she muttered as the others left the room.

***

"Well done Jou," Yugi congratulated his friend as they walked out of Kaiba Land. Jou sighed sadly.

"Yeah, well, I didn't beat him though." Honda patted him on the back.

"Don't worry about it. Most people would have a problem with defeating Kaiba anyway. I'm sure that you're one of the people he can't beat in a matter of four rounds." Jou instantly brightened at this.

"I guess. And it's a new record for me anyway. Forty minutes!" Yugi laughed at Jou's face and went back to thinking about the news that Grandpa had told him this morning.

<Ne, Yami? Should we tell them now? >

<We might as well, we can't hide it from them forever. >

"Guys, Yami's going to come out," Yugi warned them. The dark spirit materialised next to Yugi and put his arms around Jou and Honda's shoulders.

"Jou, Honda, we have some bad news." Yugi stared down at his feet. The two pranksters noticed the tension in the air and were silent. Yami continued for Yugi. "Yugi and I will be going to America for a while." Jou and Honda didn't take this new piece of information lightly. They had the exact same reaction that both Yugi and Yami had when they found out. It wasn't pretty.

***

Xavior Institute

"So, like when is this new kid comin'?" Kitty lazily stretched and settled back into the kitchen chair. All the X-Men were sitting around the table, including Xavior and the mentors. The looks on the adults' faces were very solemn. Charles steepled his fingers and leant forward on the table.

"He will be arriving in three days, so you better start getting ready." They all looked at him, confused.

"Git ready fer what?" the southern girl asked and the others nodded in agreement. Charles sighed. His students weren't going to take this lightly. Some were beginning to form a prejudice against non-mutants…

"Well, to put it clearly, the new student might not even be a mutant." There was a moment of shock.

"Hang on, isn't that defeating the purpose of this school?" Jean, whom was one of the fastest recovering, asked. The weather witch shook her head.

"The reason he is coming over is because, well, the Professor has been receiving some very strange thought signals from around that area." Jean merely raised her eyebrows and Scott stared.

"All the way from Japan? That`s quite a distance," he said in disbelief.

"Well, those thoughts waves were very strong. No normal person could have done that, broadcasting his or her emotions halfway across the globe. Just try practice not showing your powers like you usually do, clear? "

"Yes Ororo." The Professor nodded his approval. He gestured to Ororo and Logan to follow him. They left the kitchen silently.

"Aw man." Evan settled into a more relaxed pose and swung his feet onto the kitchen table. "This is gonna be real hard."

"Talk about it," Kitty muttered. She would find it really hard to stop herself walking through walls instead of using the doors when at the institute. The redhead smiled and gently placed a hand on the teenage girl's shoulder.

"Well, at least the Professor has given us time to prepare and remember, he might be a mutant like us." Jean reminded them all. But I wonder if it's enough time. She thought, but watched happily as Evan and Kurt argued over the possibilities of a Duel Monsters pro coming to stay.

***

I'll get the second chapter done tomorrow so there's no lounging around. If I don't get any reviews after my third chappie, I'll give up.