Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Yugi and the Thief ❯ A Thiefs Thievery ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yugi and the Thief
Chapter One
I ran down the street as fast as I could. While jumping over some boxes that covered the entrance to an alleyway, I looked back at my pursuers. They were still following me! And after all the twists, turns, and dead ends I had lead them through! I smiled. Finally, a worthy opponent. Every one else had either gotten lost or given up.
 
Concentrating on a narrow crack that ran between the back of a building and a fence, I dodged through it. While my pursuers were out of sight I quickly jumped the fence. On the other side I saw a fire escape ladder and jumped for it. I climbed up and quickly pulled up the ladder behind me. When I had just finished pulling it up, I saw that they too had jumped the fence.
 
I guess you could say that curiosity is my weak point, and you know what they say, “curiosity killed the cat” And I was definitely curious about these guys. I think you know the ending to that familiar phrase “satisfaction brought him back” well I was going to find out about these guys. I had a million questions to ask them, like why would they want this stupid pyramid thingy back so bad as to run through my maze? Who were they? And who was that cute guy with the weird tricolored hair? Unable to bear these questions any further I flipped my hood up so they couldn't see my face and sat there looking down on them. “Congratulations,” I say as I clap softly, my voice lowered, “nobody has ever made it as far as you four have.” I laugh softly.
 
The cute one, the one with the purple eyes gazes up at me with his hands on his knees as if he was out of breath. He's still wearing his school uniform, a blue high collared jacket with blue pants, but his jacket is open to show a black tank top with a black choker necklace. Around his hips I see a black belt with a cardholder on the right side. As I look down into those big violet pools, I see something like a cross of anger and sorrow, mostly sorrow. But still those eyes and emotions are aimed straight at me. Then as hard as this is to believe I actually felt sorry.
 
For the first time in my life, I felt sorry for taking something that wasn't mine. I mean sure, I need the money that this pyramid would cash in, more than he would need a stupid necklace. I knew that if I didn't bring home any thing, money or food wise, we could all very possibly starve. Seeing as how I am the leader of my street rat sisters and they all look up to me, if I didn't bring home something nobody would have the heart to even try to steal food. I thought they were all being silly but there was nothing I could do. So I had a lot more need than this boy.
 
Still, he made me feel sorry. I had to know his name. “ Hey, You! Yeah you with the weird hair and purple eyes! What is your name, boy?” I called down in a gruff voice. The boy looked up at me in surprise, then he hesitated “My name is Yugi. Yugi Moto. What is yours?” I smile down at him and give him my street name. “ You can call me Sirus!” I yell down still smirking. I see him looking back at his friends then he gazes back up at me. I see his gaze slide down to rest on some thing near my stomach. I smile wider and place a hand on the pyramid necklace. “Why?” I ask him “Why do you want this so bad?”
 
The girl turns to Yugi. “Don't tell him anything Yugi! He could break the puzzle, or worse he could hurt Yami!” I hear her say. So. I look down at the pyramid and can't help but smile. I love puzzles, but under the circumstances I haven't been able to put one together in ages. Then I hear something that wipes the smile from my face.
 
“Sirus already knows it's a puzzle, Tea. If she wanted to do anything to the puzzle she would already have done it. Besides, she would never harm a puzzle seeing as how she loves them.” Yugi whispers back to the girl, Tea. How did he know so much about me? And how did he know I was a girl?!
 
I quickly looked down at my outfit. The baggy, old, patched up shirt was still there, guaranteed to make me look like a guy. The baggy pants, still smelling a little like the dump I had pulled them out of, where WAY to big and the crotch of the pants fell to my knees. And the hood covered my hair and face, but even if they did see, my brown hair was cut to look like a boy and my bangs would hide most of my eyes.
 
Puzzled and thrown off balance I called out “HEY! How'd you know I was a girl?” As soon as those treacherous words were out of my mouth I slammed my hand across my blabbing lips. Oh great! Now they would know for sure that I was a girl. I groaned and berated myself in my head.
 
Yugi and Tea's friends looked at me in astonishment, then laughter. Let me tell you, I HATE being laughed at. I stood up and grabbed the railing of the fire escape. I slung my feet over and took careful aim. I would land on them and beat the living daylights out of them all. Then Yugi threw me off again. “ I know all about you Sirus. I know that you love puzzles because your father gave you one as a last gift and because you are smart enough to put a complicated puzzle together. I know that you live with a gang of girl street rats, and that if you don't bring something home tonight that you very well might starve.”
 
I just stood there with my mouth hanging open, with my hands clutching the railing for support. I'm afraid I looked like a fish trying to breath air instead of water. Realizing this, I snapped out of my funk and snapped back at Yugi “How do you know? You read minds or something!?!” I asked scornfully.
 
One of Yugi's friends, still chuckling, answered “Somethin' like that.” And then he went back to laughing. I decided that I was not going to beat every body's butt, just that blond headed pig. I glared Daggers down at him and he coolly stared up at me still silently chuckling. It looked like it was going to come down to a good old-fashioned fistfight, when Yugi breaks the tension between the pig and me.
 
“ I'll tell you if you give me the puzzle back.” He says, pleading. I think it over. Hey, like I said before my weakness is curiosity. But I was still thinking about the girls back home. “Yeah, well that seems like a pretty pathetic trade off if you ask me…” I say. “Well, what would you like in exchange?” Yugi asks me.
 
“Food.” I said instantly “or money. Either will be fine.” Yugi and his friends gather into a circle and without saying a word they begin to pull out food and money, forming a pile in the middle. Yugi is the first to pull out food, some chips and cookies. Then Tea throws in her share, 500 yen and a bag of sugar candies. The fourth member of their group, the silent guy who hasn't spoken at all, hands over 1000 yen and some chips and a sandwich. Then the blond pig starts to pull out food and change. My heart warms considerably when I see his contributions. “ Jeeze, Joey! How much stuff you got in there? You really are a pig.” The silent guy said with a roll of his eyes, seeming to read my mind. “Awww, can it Tristan!” The pig, Joey, says to the silent guy, Tristan.
 
Finally Yugi looks up at me and asked “Is this enough?” He actually asked me if that pile was enough. We could live like queens for a month on that food and the money could buy new clothes for some of the girls that were growing. Was that enough? Instead of answering, I jumped off of the railing and pressed the puzzle into Yugi's hands. I looked deep into his eyes, with warmth and thankfulness.
 
Then I moved onto the pile. I began stuffing food into my many pockets, and as I did so I thought about who would get what. Sephi would love those candies, and Charisa would devour that sandwich. Sarah would get the potato chips and I, well I would get the leftovers. But for now I would content myself with that chocolate bar.
 
Finally I stuffed the last of the change into my pocket and turned around. They were all staring at me. Joey looked so amazed and frightened that I just had to laugh. My laugh made them all realize they were staring and they stopped doing so. I turned to Yugi “ So then, you only held up part of your bargain. How did you know about me?”
 
Yugi looks down at the puzzle. I looked at it too. This puzzle was gold with a simple eye in the center of the pyramid. The whole thing was upside down, but it looked like it was made to be that way, and hung with a strong and sturdy chain. The whole thing was about the size of a small bowl, easily cupped between two hands.
 
Yugi, still hesitating, finally spoke “This puzzle is very special. My grandfather gave it to me while it was still a puzzle. Nobody had ever been able to put it together before. But I did. I found that there was a spirit in the puzzle, the spirit of an ancient pharaoh. I also found out that my destiny and the pharaoh's destiny were linked together. “
 
“That still doesn't answer my question.” I said warily. I was kinda superstitious and talking of destinies and pharaohs was starting to get me on edge. Yugi looked up at me, startled, and then laughed a few times. “Right you are Sirus. I can see your mind through the pharaoh. When you had the puzzle around your neck you where letting the pharaoh into your mind. My mind being linked with his, he told me what you were thinking.” I stared at him in fear “ Can he read all of my mind?” I asked, my expression alarmed. “ Oh no, only the things you were thinking at the time.” He said. Good, I thought. He doesn't know that I think he's cute, at least I don't think he does.
 
To cover for that little slip up, I look at him in a disapproving and angry way. “Yeah right, like I'm going to believe you, a ten year old kid!” I say with scorn. “HEY! I'm sixteen little Girl.” He blusters, putting an emphasis on girl. I loosened the knife I kept in my belt, when I heard the intended insult. “Well, At least I'm taller than you!” I say teasing and angrily step up to him to prove my point. I gaze down the few inches to meet his eyes
 
All of a sudden a flash blinds me and I blink several times. Then I noticed that our roles had been reversed. I was looking up at HIM while he was staring down at ME! Freaked out, I turn to dash back to the fire escape but before I had taken two steps a hand descended upon my shoulder, effectively stopping me in my tracks with one leg frozen in the air. Slowly the hand turned me around
 
Yugi looked so different. He was now an inch taller than me. His face, while still the same was somehow harsher, more sharp. His hair, while weird before, was even weirder. But the thing that I noticed the most was his eyes. They were not the innocent, lighthearted eyes that had drawn me to Yugi. These were cold, hard, calculating eyes that watched my every move. Then he smiled.
 
That smile was confident and self-assured. It transformed his face from frightening to sexy and mysterious. The smile unfroze me from my pose and what else could I but stand there staring at this transformed Yugi? Nothing, so I just stood there looking like a fish. He laughed at my expression. When he laughs I could feel my heart being squeezed like silly putty. I had though Yugi was cute before. Now, he was so hot.
 
“ Nice to meet you face to face Emily. Or should I call you Sirus?” He said in a smooth voice. I was in no position to talk but I decided to try any way “Uhhhh….” Nope, I couldn't utter a single word. “ I was the one who read your mind, Emily.” He said it like it was no big deal. Well I got angry at this sexy, mysterious guy. “ Its Sirus to you Buster!” I say, poking hard in the chest on the word buster. “ You think it's all right to just go around reading peoples minds?!” I asked poking him again. “ Well, you seem to think it's alright to go around stealing.” He said calmly enough. He had me there. Taking a deep breath I let the thief training take over. A hotheaded thief could get into so much trouble.
 
“ I suggest we part ways now before I kill some one.” I say with my hand on the knife at my belt. I quickly turn around and start to leave. Then I hear Tristan “Hey! Sirus! Um well we're sorta lost.” He confesses. I nod “where do you wish to be taken?” I asked Tristan. Out of the corner of my eye I see a flash of light. I whip around and see that the cute Yugi is back and the Pharaoh Yugi is gone. Yugi smiles at me and I can't help but smile back. “ If you could take us to Domino High, we won't bother you again.” Yugi says. I nod and think about the quickest rout to the High school. I think about it “Ok, follow me.” I say.
 
And with that I take them up the fire escape and across the rooftops, the fastest road I know. Before long we were all on top of the building across from Domino High. I looked at them all. “ To get down, you can shimmy down the gutter.” I say to them. I turn to go but something holds me back. I decide to give them a way to find me if they need me. `If, for some strange reason you would need to get a hold of me, post my name, Sirus, somewhere in the city with your signature on it. I will meet you where you post my name.” I turned around once more to leave. After I had taken a few steps I looked back, and called out `Yugi Moto! I WILL see you again! You can be sure of that.” And finally I turned and ran across the rooftops. Goodbye Yugi. Goodbye Mysterious Pharaoh. I thought I would never see them again. Oh how wrong I was.