Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mad Season ❯ I am a Dreamer ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Author's Note: GoE yet again! Don't worry, after the next chapter will be back to AoM…This chapter will follow the same characters as last time, for the most part…As always, enjoy! -GoE )
 
 
Chapter VII - I am a Dreamer
 
 
Once everyone had settled into their cabins, the sun began to set, sinking slowly into the horizon, already past the treeline. The band congregated inside one of the larger wooden buildings, the cafeteria. Dinner had been served - chicken, rice, and a side of vegetables.
 
Locke, Terra, Sabin and Edgar sat at a table with a few others. Terra and Sabin held hands under the table, and Locke sat next to Edgar, nervously looking over every once in a while. He wished that Edgar would hold his hand…
 
“Aren't you going to eat anything?” Edgar asked Locke, staring at the almost full plate of food in front of his friend. “Nah, I'm…not really that hungry,” Locke said, looking down. “Hm,” Edgar said, returning to his food. “Hey, check her out,” he said, pointing across the room to Rosa, a sophomore who played the vibraphone. Locke inwardly sighed.
 
`It's useless…' he thought, looking at the pretty girl with snowy blonde hair. `That's what he likes…'
 
The silver-haired boy felt alone, even amidst the crowd of people. The florescent lights and dull roar of chatter all around him seemed surreal. He stared at the oak table, deep in thought. He'd always liked Edgar…The blonde boy from a wealthy family had taken pity on his “ruffian” friend, and money would often “mysteriously appear” on the doorstep of the Cole household. They'd been through a lot together, and Locke felt that he had to tell his friend his true feelings before he exploded.
 
“Locke? Locke? LOCKE!” Locke was jolted out of his reverie by Terra, who was urgently poking him. “Locke, look - Genkai is getting ready to make her speech!” Locke looked up to see that their band instructor was standing with her arms behind her back, waiting silently as the noise slowly dissipated. The three drum majors, Kefka, Ran, and Nuriko flanked her side.
 
“Welcome to band camp!” she announced suddenly, and cheerfully. The cafeteria burst into applause. Every student was smiling - band camp was awesome. She waited a moment for the applause to die away. “The reason we have been such a great band in the past- (the seniors, juniors, and sophomores all beamed) is because of our dedication, our skill, but most of all - our teamwork.” Clapping and cheering broke out once again, and gradually died down. “After dinner, you will return to your cabins for a few minutes to get flashlights and sweaters, and then we're all going on a late night hike into the forest - once we reach our location, we will light a bonfire and talk about the season to come. Understood?”
 
Glenn (A/N: Chrono Cross, not Trigger again) fumbled through his things. The last boy out had just left the cabin, and Glenn was alone, looking for batteries for his flashlight. His face was red, although it was cloaked in darkness.
 
Not for long.
 
“BOO!”
 
“Agh!!” Glenn jumped, spinning around quickly. Someone had poked him in the sides. Glenn squinted as a flashlight beam was pointed at his face, which was even more red now.
 
“You'd better hurry up!” Norris said, laughing, “Or more ghosts might come to get you!” Glenn cursed silently. “S-shut up!” He said, embarrassed. Norris just laughed, aiming the flashlight at the floor. “Is that what you're looking for?” He asked. There, on the ground right next to Glenn's backpack, were two batteries. Glenn snatched them, fumbling to put them inside.
 
Norris offered a hand to Glenn, smiling. `He's always smiling…' Glenn thought to himself. “Come on,” Norris said, “We've gotta catch up!” Glenn took Norris' hand. It was…soft, and gentle, yet firm. A chill ran down Glenn's spine as blood rushed to his face yet again. `That's okay…he has a nice smile…'
 
The two boys made their way through the forest, walking quickly, trying to follow the lights far ahead of them. Glenn shivered. It was freezing - he hadn't expected it to get this cold, and wore only a light long-sleeved shirt. Norris led the way, carefully choosing his footing across the rough terrain which was marked by sharp rocks and tangled branches. Glenn struggled to keep up. He sniffled a bit, nose running from the chilly air. Norris stopped abruptly.
 
“Are you crying?” He asked, genuinely concerned. Glenn laughed. “No, it's just cold, that's all…” “Oh…” Norris said, beginning to turn around again. He hesitated for a moment, slowly facing Glenn.
 
“Here,” he said, taking off his sweater, “You can wear mine.” He smiled back at Glenn, who was, of course, blushing furiously. The two eventually reached a clearing in the woods where the rest of the band was gathered around a sizeable bonfire, where Genkai stood with the drum majors. Norris and Glenn sat on a large rock behind Marle and Amiboshi, two sophomore flutists.
 
Tifa once again sat by Cloud. Some people said they were an “item” - she chose to ignore them. She had her heart set on other things - a place on snareline. She listened intently to Genkai, who had begun another one of her infamous pep talks.
 
“I've taught at this school for over six years now,” she said, her face illuminated in the orange glow of the fire, “And this is, without a doubt, the finest band I have ever had the honor of instructing…” She paused for a moment. “I know we have the potential to make it to State again, and even higher. There is nothing…nothing we cannot accomplish.” The students were solemnly silent, and the only sounds to be heard in the crisp night air were crickets chirping, and the crackling of the fire. “This year…we say goodbye to our Seniors…” She looked around at the band, particularly at the seniors. The thought of these amazing young men and women brought tears to her eyes. “And…” her voice cracked. “I hate crying…And we say hello to new students, who will help shape this band in years to come.” This time she focused on the nervous-looking, hopeful freshmen whose eyes shone with promise. She smiled. `What a wonderful group…' she thought to herself.
 
The drum majors also made their speeches, as well as the section leaders. The last hour had been filled with sorrow for those who would be leaving Jigoku No Yo High School in less than one short year, joy for the good times to come, and good times past. Genkai wiped the tears which had been steadily flowing from her eyes, and spoke once again.
 
“But enough of that! Band is about having fun, and enjoying life!” A cheer came from the band. “Each year, we have a tradition…the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all compete with each other - this year…” Genkai paused for a moment, reaching down to pick up a rope which had been lying on the ground next to her. “…we will have a tug-o-war!” Everyone laughed, their spirits instantly lifted. “The seniors and freshmen will compete with the juniors and sophomores!”
 
Within minutes, the two sides stood on either end of the rope, gripping it firmly. Kefka and Nuriko smiled menacingly at one another as the head of their teams.
 
Genkai stood on the sideline with the three instructors, Prometheus, Dekar and Karen. She held up a white flag, borrowed from the guard. “Ready…” The tension on the rope increased ever so slightly.
 
“GO!”
 
Both teams strained and struggled on the rope, contending for dominance over the other. Sabin was at the end of the sophomore/junior team, and struggled against the other side, whose tail member was Gohan, also a tuba player.
 
“Heeaaaaave…HO!” Kefka cried, directing his team. But it was no use. The sophomore/junior team pulled the other side over the line, and the whole band collapsed to the ground, laughing.
 
The band made their way, in a somewhat single file line back to the cabins, full of cheer, nostalgia, and excitement.
 
Band camp was going to be phenomenal.
 
 
Chapter Title: Cardcaptor Sakura