Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ When You Finally Find One ❯ In Which We Settle In, Make Plans, and Have Conversations ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

When You Finally Find One

By Elbereth in April

Chapter 2: In Which We Settle In, Make Plans, and Have Conversations

Just as both spars were reaching a draw, a group of people ended up at the temple doorstep, apparently attracted by the energy they had sensed being expended.

I looked them over, and could guess who the boys were, at any rate.

Tall, brash, and orange-haired, being scolded by a long-haired girl who was evidently his big sister. A boy with slicked-back black hair, who was laughing at him, and being scolded in turn by a brown-haired girl. And a little ways apart, a boy who was prettier than most girls I knew, with flaming red hair, exuding charm and charisma. That one had to be Kurama.

We all halted our various activities and turned to see what would happen next. They were just the sort of people who attract stares.

"Oi! Obasssan!"

"Hiei!" from the fellow demon.

"Yukina-san!" Ah, so that one was Kuwabara. That would make the black- haired boy Yusuke.

The sister pulled a cigarette and a lighter from her pocket and regarded us all. "Is this a party? Why weren't we invited? And where did these people with such high energy come from anyway?"

Genkai smiled. "Hiei brought all the company." Everyone's eyes widened and they all turned to stare at him.

"Hn," was his response, crossing his arms and looking disdainful.

Genkai made the introductions. The smoking girl was Shizuru and the other was Keiko, Yusuke's woman. In an officially unofficial way.

They swarmed over us curiously as we instinctively grouped back together for support. My brothers observed Kuwabara's clumsy advances towards Yukina a bit jealously, but Hiei's reaction was more interesting. If I could read the signs correctly, he liked Kuwabara, but did not like the attention being paid to her. It was exactly the way Trunks eyed my admirers at home.

Speaking of which, Trunks finally noticed Kurama was slyly flirting with me, and moved up to flank me.

Yusuke derailed all this business somewhat by exclaiming, "Saiyan? What's a Saiyan?"

I took it upon myself to explain. "We're a proud warrior race from the planet Vegeta-sei. There aren't many of us left. We're strong fighters, champions of good, and protectors of the Earth, where we currently live."

Goten grinned. "And her father is the Prince of all Saiyans, making Trunks the current heir to the throne, and her a Princess."

They stared at us. Then Pan laughed. "Which makes poor Goten and me lowly subjects, but we don't mind, since we like them so well."

"It's not like you'd obey us anyway," Trunks added, throwing his arm around Pan's shoulders.

"At any rate, Vegeta-sei no longer exists." I felt a momentary twinge of sadness, which I pushed away. "And we like Earth. And fighting. Oh, and eating-some of us." Pan and I looked pointedly at the boys, who grinned.

I felt Hiei's eyes on me, and deliberately met them. He swallowed and instantly looked away.

So. I was farther ahead than I'd thought. I managed to prevent a smirk.

"Speaking of food. . ." Goten began. We all laughed.

________ _________

Pan, Marron, and Yukina made dinner. Kurama and Genkai helped. Keiko set the table. And while we were eating, Mirai told the story of Sensui and Itsuki again.

The newcomers were not happy. At all. They discussed a few strategies in case they showed up in Ningenkai again.

Then they volunteered to help us find a way to get back home. We accepted gratefully.

Trunks had the dragonball radar with him, but nothing had shown up. Obviously no Namekians had ever made it to this planet. This left us searching for other options, completely in the dark.

We also didn't know how long we'd be stuck here, and we had no shampoo, no changes of clothes, no lip gloss, nothing. Keiko and Shizuru therefore said they'd take us shopping for supplies in the morning.

Yukina was going to stay at the temple, which meant that Mirai and Trunks both wanted to stay, too. However, the plan that the rest of us came up with was to have them go with Kurama to the library to look for ideas. Genkai had sources of her own she was going to use. That left Goten, Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Hiei.

"Someone should go with the girls for protection," I heard Yusuke whisper to Kuwabara. "But I hate shopping!"

"Me, too," he whispered back.

"What will you boys be doing?" Yukina asked. Yusuke and Kuwabara looked at each other.

"I should patrol the area to make sure our enemies aren't around," Hiei said.

"I'll pat rol the area," Yusuke declared loudly. "You should go with the girls to protect them. We don't know what Sensui and Itsuke will decide to do now that you're all here."

Hiei's eyes got huge.

"I'll help Yusuke," Kuwabara put in quickly.

"Wait," Hiei began.

The Fox was laughing. "Good idea. Hiei's very skilled at watching over people."

"But. . ."

"We don't need protection," Pan said bluntly. "We can defend ourselves. We're not weak."

"No, no," I interrupted hastily before she could demonstrate. "I think he should come. He knows the enemy and the land better than we do."

"Make Goten come, too, so he'll have male companionship," Marron suggested.

"Hey! But I hate shopping!"

"He can go and I won't," Hiei scowled, finally getting to finish a sentence.

"Then it's settled," Genkai said, sounding quite amused. "Hiei and Goten will go with the girls."

"Aw, man!"

Hiei growled softly, then seemed to resign himself. "Hn. Baka ningens."

_________ _______

They left shortly after, and we all got ready for bed. Pan, Marron, and I shared a room. Marron was commenting dreamily on how good-looking and charming Kurama was, and Pan was nodding, starry-eyed herself.

"You're not saying much," Marron noticed finally.

I smiled. "Why would I talk about him? I have my sights set higher."

They looked puzzled, then Pan figured it out. "Going after Hiei, are you?"

"He'll be tricky," Marron predicted.

"I know. But so am I. Stubborn, too." I finished combing my waist-length hair with the one brush we had between us. I passed it on to Pan.

"You are," they agreed, giggling.

"And so, he will be mine. It's inevitable. Tomorrow I begin my campaign."

We flashed each other the V for Victory. As one should, before going into battle.

________ _______

Marron, Mirai, and I made breakfast. At 9:30 Kurama showed up and drug my brothers away. Keiko and Shizuru arrived a few minutes later and the rest of us headed downtown.

Keiko had assured us our money was the same as theirs, and fortunately I had been carrying a good deal of cash on me (actually by accident).

Goten had sulked for a little bit, but his natural cheerfulness soon reasserted itself. We were peppering our new companions with all kinds of questions about themselves and the others. The girls started telling us all about the fight against Sensui and Itsuki.

Hiei walked along beside us impatiently, as if he wasn't used to moving so slow. I kept glancing at him out of the corner of my eye, and once I caught him glancing back. I immediately turned a smile and my charm on him.

"So, you're a fire demon."

He blinked. "Yes."

"That explains why you always look so hot."

He opened his mouth, then closed it again. Good. I wanted him off balance.

Pan was hiding her giggles up ahead of us. I ignored her. Goten, Marron, and Shizuru were still talking about some test of Genkai's the boys went through. Keiko was glancing back and forth between us.

Hiei was simply staring at me. He so wasn't used to this. I decided I'd better tone it down a bit. I made my smile softer and more reassuring.

"Yukina told me you can call forth a black dragon. That's why you keep your arm wrapped up, as a ward. Is it hard to control?"

"Hn. Yes."

"You must be powerful." I moved in closer and touched his bandaged arm. His eyes went very wide. "You have a very high ki level, you know."

"Oh." He swallowed hard; I was still holding on to his arm.

Out of the corner of my vision I could see Keiko's eyes bugging out of her head. It was humorous.

"Kurama said you have quite a reputation in the Makai."

Ah, that got a smirk out of him. Then he frowned. "When were you talking to Kurama?"

Would that be jealousy?

"Oh, he came up to Yukina and me after supper," I replied casually. "You must have been elsewhere." He had, in fact, been lurking in the shadows, staring out the window. Maybe this would get him to stay out in the open with the rest of us-at least me.

There was a brief moment where we studied one another. Then I smiled and let go of his arm. Reluctantly. "I don't suppose you're too interested in shopping."

"Hn."

"But you do your duty. That's good."

His eyes narrowed as he tried to figure out what I was getting at. I continued, "Not everybody knows how to be honorable. Or loyal. Some people are only out for themselves. I'm glad my brother ran into you." He blushed and shrugged.

I started planning my wedding dress.

________ _________

A/N: I couldn't resist the hot fire demon line-this story is fun to write!