Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ When You Finally Find One ❯ In Which More Than One Campaign Is Begun, and We All Think About Food ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

When You Finally Find One

By Elbereth in April

Note from Bura: some of my telling of events will be second or third hand accounts, learned after the fact (mostly from Mirai and Shizuru) but it's important for you to know certain things as they happen. So with no further ado, here's. . .

Chapter 3: In Which More Than One Campaign Is Begun, and We All Think About Food

Elsewhere in Ningenkai, our enemies were eating dinner. In this case, ramen.

"Let's just forget the whole thing," Itsuki suggested.

"No, you made a promise. You can't break your word. And besides. . ." Sensui's expression darkened. "I want to defeat them. The Urameshi Team," he sneered. "They think they're so invincible. They'll find out otherwise."

Itsuki shrugged and ate more noodles. "That purple-haired kid is good. Do we have a battle plan?"

"Yes. I sent out a message to an old ally of mine. He should be showing up to join us anytime."

Itsuki looked vaguely jealous. "Who is it?"

"His name is Gurkin. He used to work for Yomi, until he got powerful enough to set up on his own. His goal is to be an evil overlord. He could be ruling the Makai right now, if he'd had better henchmen. He's had really bad luck with henchmen. . ."

"That's unfortunately true," said a voice, startling them so much Sensui dropped his bowl.

There was a silver blur, then a woman was standing in front of him, holding the bowl out to him. "Yeah," she purred, "so he went and found a henchwoman instead. Name's Crystal. But you can call me Sue."

"Don't ask why," Gurkin advised them. "So. Hello and all that."

Itsuki stared at the two of them. The woman was obviously a demon. She had silver hair and nails as sharp and long as claws. She had a cat's ears and tail and moved in that sleek, graceful feline way. The skin of her cheeks and arms had gray tiger stripes, and her eyes were silver with a cat's narrow pupils.

The man had long brown hair pulled back in a pony tail and seemingly harmless brown eyes. He looked ordinary, like any ningen you would pass in the street. He wore a casual polo shirt and blue jeans. Itsuki didn't think he looked that powerful, or evil.

"All right then. What's the plan?" he repeated.

"I didn't expect the woman," Sensui said instead. "What can she do? Is she powerful?"

"She can move like a shadow and fight like a devil," Gurkin answered. "She's the best bodyguard I've ever had. Mind if I help myself to some ramen?"

"Go ahead." Sensui stared at her appraisingly. "Very well. I shall incorporate her into my plan. Which goes like this. . ."

_______ ________

Fast forward to the mall after about two hours of heavy shopping, and picture 5 enthusiastic girls and 2 boys who are starting to look a little wild-eyed.

"Maybe it's time for a break," Marron suggested when someone bumped Hiei and he almost decapitated her with his katana.

"Let's go to the food court," Goten suggested. "I'm hungry."

Marron rolled her eyes. "Of course you are."

We entered the food court and looked around. "Pretzels," said Pan. "Cinnamon rolls," said Marron. "That sounds good," Keiko agreed. "Hot dogs, fried rice, and pizza!" Goten exclaimed happily. We sighed.

"Sweet snow," said Hiei, with more enthusiasm than he had shown for anything yet. He bounded off to one of the counters.

"Everybody meet back at a table in the middle," I called, then followed Hiei.

Ice cream. What he wanted was ice cream. And he called it sweet snow. How adorable!

I joined him in line. He looked at me. I smiled. "Which is your favorite flavor?"

He gave this some thought. "Mocha fudge brownie."

"Mm, that does sound good. I don't think they have that here, though." They only had a limited number of flavors.

He examined the ice cream buckets with an experienced air. "I'll take mint chocolate chip."

"I think I'll go for cookie dough."

He nodded. "That's good, too."

So. It appeared that Hiei was addicted to ice cream. I stored this knowledge away.

"What other foods do you like, Hiei?"

He shrugged. "I don't know many ningen foods."

"Oh, I'll have to teach you some then."

It was our turn at the counter. We both ordered and got our ice cream in waffle cones. Hiei paid for his from a huge wad of bills. "Hiei, where did you get so much money?"

"I stole it," he whispered. "I never got paid to be a Reikai Tantai."

I was amused instead of shocked. I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd.

________ ________

Shizuru had followed Goten to the counter selling Oriental food. She wished she could smoke. "So," she said, to make conversation. "How old are you?"

"28."

"Oh? You look younger. What do you do for a living?"

"Well, partly I sell capsules for Trunks. But mostly I'm a fighter in martial arts tournaments. Hercule has me promote them sometimes."

"Capsules?"

"Yeah, they're the latest in technology. Trunks is President of Capsule Corporation-worth billions of dollars. He's the most eligible bachelor in Japan."

"Really?"

Goten nodded. "We're best friends."

"He must be a good guy then."

"The best!"

Shizuru began plotting.

________ ________

Sensui rubbed his forehead, feeling a headache coming on. "So what you're telling me, essentially, is that the purple-haired Saiyan boy and the demon Hiei are no longer in the Makai."

Gurkin nodded. "That's what all our sources say. Too bad you didn't know that before you made up your plan. It was a good plan, though."

"Oh, shut up." He rubbed his head again, glaring at Gurkin. Then he sighed. "This is what we'll do instead. If Hiei is gone, it undoubtedly means that he's in the Ningenkai with the rest of the Urameshi gang. Crystal, I want you to verify this."

__________ ________


Kurama and Trunks had their heads bent over a magazine and were scanning it avidly. Trunks' mouth was hanging open. Mirai came up to them, looking around nervously. "You guys. I feel like we're being watched."

Kurama looked up. "Are your Spider-senses tingling?"

"Huh?"

"A joke. Gomen."

"What are you reading?" Mirai demanded, getting a glimpse of the title. He grabbed the magazine away. "Glamour?"

Trunks blushed a deep red. "That article is fascinating," he protested. "And Kurama was reading it first."

Kurama appeared completely unembarrassed and unrepentant. "I needed a break."

"50 Ways to Have Fun in Bed," Mirai read. He looked at the two of them. "You were reading this together?"

Then Kurama did blush as both boys moved away from each other. "It's not what you think!"

"The top 10 foods to bring to the bedroom. . . this is rubbish." Mirai threw the magazine on to the table. "Has anybody found anything that'll get you guys home?"

Kurama tossed his hair over his shoulder. "Some interesting stuff on time and space and the stability of the dimensions."

"No."

Mirai sighed. "Listen, I feel like somebody's around. I'm serious."

"All right." The other two boys scanned the area with their senses as well as their eyes. "I don't see anybody."

"I don't feel any hostile ki."

"Let's go for a walk. Maybe we can tell if something follows."

"OK," Trunks agreed.

Kurama picked the magazine back up and went with them, walking and reading at the same time. "Listen. . . whipped cream, hot fudge, lemon pudding, cherry jello, strawberries. . ."

"Would you concentrate on danger, please?"

_________ ______

Crystal leapt from rooftop to rooftop, following the 3 boys as they wandered aimlessly around the block. When she had first seen them, she'd rubbed her eyes, thinking she was seeing double. Wasn't there only supposed to be one with purple hair? But there were definitely two. No sign of the dark demon Hiei, but that redhead had to be his cohort, Kurama. He was certainly delectable.

On the ground, Trunks whispered to Mirai, "You're right. I can feel the ki. Not overtly evil, just watching."

"What do you think, Kurama?"

"I would have recommended chocolate mousse, myself."

Mirai prepared to remove the coat he was wearing to cover up his sword, in preparation for drawing it. Kurama held up his hands. "Gomen! I'll be serious! You're right, there's a demon around."

"Let's catch it," Trunks grinned.

_________ _______

Marron, Pan, and Keiko reached the table first. Marron looked around. The boys were well away. "So, what's this about Kurama being a fox demon?"

"He was a kitsune, a fox spirit," Keiko explained. "He was shot by a hunter and about to die, so he transferred his soul to a ningen baby. Now he's living out the life of Minamino Shiucchi, because he loves his mother."

"He's a family man?"

Keiko considered this, wiping her fingers on a napkin. "Kurama is complicated. He's very sweet, but he can be completely ruthless. They say he's 1,000 years old and has had dozens of lovers. Being a ningen has changed him, though."

"Your Yusuke seems nice," Pan commented.

Keiko blushed. "Sometimes." She tried for a tone that was casual and breezy.

"What about Kuwabara?"

"Oh, he's brash and loud, but very loyal. Underneath it all, he's a very sweet guy, too."

Pan sighed. "At any rate, Kurama sure is good looking."

Keiko laughed. "Well, yes. He has his own fan club. Girls follow him around all the time. Practically his whole school."

"Huh," Pan said. "What fun is that? No challenge."

"Except for the girl."

"Too much challenge! Always looking over your shoulder, even once you've caught his eye."

"Once you've caught him, you should be able to trust him."

Pan had no answer to that.

Shizuru came up and sat down then. She smiled at Pan. "So. Tell me more about Saiyans."

"Um, what do you want to know?"

"Begin at the beginning. Two Saiyans came to Earth."

Keiko also looked fascinated.

"OK, well. . . yes. That was my grandpa and Trunks and Bura's father." She paused to dip her jalapeno pretzel in cheese sauce.

Hiei and I arrived at that point. "Goten still getting food?"

"You know Goten," Marron laughed.

"Hn," Hiei said, and licked at his ice cream.

"Go on," Shizuru urged Pan.

"The full story is long and complicated," Pan hedged. "Maybe Bura should tell it."

"Tell what?"

"Shizuru wants to know about Saiyans. From the beginning. Two Saiyans came to Earth."

"Ah." I instantly understood why Pan didn't want to tell it in front of me. She was afraid she'd insult Daddy. And then she'd be in big trouble.

"Very long and complicated," I agreed after thinking for a moment. "I'll sum up." And leave out *a lot*. "An evil tyrant, Frieza, ruled several galaxies. One of his subject planets was Vegeta-sei. They didn't like being in his power, but he was so strong, they had no choice.

"One day Frieza demanded that the King give up his son as hostage, and even though he didn't want to, he couldn't protest. So my father, Vegeta, went to live with Frieza. Eventually Frieza became afraid of the Saiyans' growing power and rebelliousness, so he destroyed their planet. That left only 4 Saiyans alive in the universe. But Vegeta didn't know it was Frieza who blew up the planet, and he was still stuck living under him."

My listeners were staring at me raptly, except Marron, who knew the story already and was concentrating on her cinnamon roll.

"Pan's grandpa, Goku, had been sent to Earth as a baby to kill everyone so the planet could be sold." The girls gasped in horror. "But he hit his head and subsequently no longer even knew he was Saiyan. Now, one day, one of Vegeta's bodyguards decided to go to Earth to see what had happened to Goku, thinking maybe he could be recruited to help them overthrow Frieza. For that was Vegeta's all consuming goal, to destroy the wicked tyrant."

My ice cream was melting. I ate a little. "That bodyguard was Raditz, Goku's older brother." I glanced at Pan. "Due to an unfortunate misunderstanding, Goku came to regard the other Saiyans as his enemies and they ended up killing each other."

I explained the concept of dragonballs and wishes to them. "Before Raditz died, he transmitted this information to Vegeta, but Frieza heard it, too. So a big battle was fought over the dragonballs. Goku was wished back to life by his friends, including my mom. Eventually Frieza was beaten by Goku, who became the first Super Saiyan in hundreds of years. Vegeta settled down on Earth to train until he could reach Super Saiyan, too, and defeat Goku. It was a matter of pride." I accidentally caught Hiei's eye. He understood. "My mom, being rich, invited him to stay at her house and use her father's inventions to train with."

Goten came and sat down then, in time to hear Keiko ask, "What happened to the fourth Saiyan you mentioned?"

"Oh, um, that would be Nappa, Vegeta's other bodyguard. He died in battle."

Goten raised his eyebrows, but didn't say anything. He just stuffed his mouth full of hot dog.

"In time, of course, Daddy did become a Super Saiyan. And Mom caught his eye, and then his heart. They got married and had Trunks and me. They're still together, and he's still the Prince of all Saiyans."

Shizuru and Keiko looked back and forth between the 3 Saiyans in our party. But I ignored them. Hiei's ruby gaze riveted me, as I tried to guess his thoughts.

Fast forward to when we had all finished eating and were getting up, throwing away our trash, looking around to the next store. In the confusion, Hiei sidled up next to me, with that same burning look.

"Your story about Saiyans does explain one thing," he said in a near whisper. "Scarcity of something makes it more priceless and rare. You must be as treasured as a teargem." A grin that showed fang, and he flitted away as I mulled over what I realized was a vast compliment, from someone inexperienced in giving compliments. I smiled slowly, shyly.

And started trying to figure out how to word the wedding invitations.

----------- -----------

The three boys entered a dark alley, where Trunks took to the air, heading for where he sensed the ki. Mirai shrugged. "I better go with him."

"Wait!" But they were already half-way to the roof. Kurama frowned in frustration, folded the magazine, stuck it in his back pocket, and ran around to the front of the bank building and inside, looking for the stairs.