Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Middlemen ❯ Out With the Fox ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Category: Anime, Yaoi, Saiyuki / YYH crossover, TWT
Warnings: shonen ai, possible humor
Pairings: Gojyo+Hiei, will be KuramaxHiei, HakkaixGojyo
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina(a)hotmail.com
Website / Complete Archive: www.geocities.com / arigatomina

Middlemen

Part 4: Out With the Fox

They traveled at a surprisingly sedate pace, surprising because Hiei traveled on foot with them rather than bounding ahead or wandering off the way he was wont to do. Kurama was glad since he took that as a sign that Hiei wasn't going to just abandon him with the strangers who obviously knew him rather well. Too well, in Gojyo's case. The longer they walked in silence, the more that hand bothered him. It was as if the tall kappa were staking a claim, and that just went against everything Kurama believed about Hiei. Why hadn't he thrown him off yet? Why did he accept that contact as if it were a normal occurrence? And why did the thought of it being a normal occurrence make Kurama want to growl at the man? Where was the antisocial 'touch me and die' demon he knew so well? There was no way Hiei could actually be interested in him.

"There's a village not far from here," Hakkai commented, his soft voice serving as a nice distraction for Kurama. The redhead turned to look at him with relief. "We could stop for food there, or pick some up and camp out for the night. The inn isn't the best, but it's reasonable."

"Outside," Hiei said sharply. "I'm not staying in some cramped room with the three of you."

"Yes," Kurama agreed. "I'd rather stay in a more open area as well."

"Don't be so hasty." Gojyo smiled, his eyes glinting at Kurama. "I'm sure they'd have at least three rooms available."

Kurama's eyebrow twitched, but he returned the man's smile with a benign one of his own. "Really. Then you and Hakkai would room together?"

"Eh..." With a weak grin, Gojyo glanced over at his friend, knowing full well that it wouldn't be much fun. A night with Hakkai watching him? The polite man would be blowing the whistle on any fun he tried to have, literally. He had a whistle he kept just for that purpose. "On second thought, outside would be nice. And if anyone gets too cold, we can just share body heat."

Hiei snorted, his lips curved in a wry smirk. "Try it, if you want permanent burn scars."

Wilting a bit, Gojyo pouted at the little demon. "You wouldn't do that, would you? I'm a water sprite. I can't help it if I get cold. And you're so hot, I'm sure you have more than enough heat to go around."

All right, Kurama thought irritably, so the flirt was funny. He was still hitting on Hiei, and teasing him as well. Since when did Hiei react to teasing like that from someone he barely knew? He and Yusuke were the only ones who could get away with that, damn it. "We'll camp outside," Kurama said firmly. "And if it's cool, we'll start a fire. End of discussion."

"Well aren't you a bossy one." Gojyo frowned over at Kurama, tilting his head to the side. "Who's the escort here?" A soft sound made him glance down, and he sniffed at the amused look on Hiei's face. "Is he always like that?"

"Keep pushing and you'll find out," Hiei smirked. He glanced over at Kurama, shaking his head at the kitsune. "There's no point getting riled, not over him. He's no different from Kuwabara."

Kurama's shoulders jerked, his hand moving over his face to hide his smile. "Really."

"Oi," Gojyo frowned. "What's that mean? Who's this Kuwabara?" The two demons ignored him, both sharing identical smirks. He glared for a minute, then his face shifted into a conning smile. "Hotaru, you wouldn't insult me without letting me in on it, would you? That's hardly sporting, you know."

"I called you a baka," Hiei sniffed. "A big one."

A droll expression swept over Gojyo's face, and Kurama smirked. That was more like it. But that nickname... "Why do you let him call you that? Hotaru." Kurama raised an eyebrow as he looked down at Hiei.

"Because it's better than koi," Hiei spat, distaste pulling his lips down.

Gojyo brightened at that, shooting a smug look at Kurama. "I'm incorrigible. Besides that, Hiei is a very sensual name." His eyes widened with a helpless and innocent expression that Kurama didn't buy for a second. "Why, if I called him that, I'd never be able to control myself."

Rolling his eyes, Hiei sniffed up at Kurama. "Ignore it and it'll get bored eventually."

"It?! You wound me...!"

Hakkai let out a low sigh, shaking his head sadly. "Gojyo fancies himself a ladies' man, but lately he's been playing rival to Bui. That puts Hiei in the middle." He gave Kurama a weak smile, not really noticing how pinched the kitsune's face was. "He isn't serious."

"Of course I am," Gojyo frowned. He tugged Hiei closer to his side, oblivious to the resigned expression on the little demon's face. "I'd never play with my dear Hotaru's feelings. My interest is entirely legitimate. He's quite the gorgeous demon, you know. He deserves the best."

"And that's you," Hakkai smirked.

"Exactly."

Kurama closed his eyes for a moment before shooting a sharp look down at Hiei. "Bui? Are you being courted by Bui?"

"Courted?" Hiei's eyes widened for a moment, his expression blank and visibly confused. He blinked slowly before finally frowning at the redhead. "If you mean is he acting like this baka, no. He barely speaks to me. He has better things to do than act the fool. I told you, he's second to Touga now."

"And I'm third," Gojyo said, smiling down at Hiei. "That doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves when we're not working. Bui just doesn't know how to woo a spitfire demon like you."

"Enough," Hiei muttered, shrugging the man's arm off his shoulders. "Stop mocking me."

"I wasn't!"

Not paying him any attention, Hiei resumed his pace next to Kurama. He tossed the attentive fox a glare. "He's been hanging on me since Touga decided to get you and Yusuke. It's nothing. He just knows I can't attack him without it reflecting on Mukuro. He's worse than you and Yusuke combined, but mostly harmless."

"And that's why you put up with him?" Kurama asked, his tone as careless as he could make it. He didn't think he'd fooled Hiei, though. The demon was used to reading his eyes.

"It makes no difference," Hiei shrugged. "Threats are pointless if I can't deliver them."

"Well I can," Kurama said sharply. "I don't care if it reflects on Yomi or not."

Hiei shook his head. "It's not worth the effort."

"It's not nice to talk about people as if they can't hear you," Gojyo grumbled. His arms were folded over his chest, and he shot a glare at Hakkai, not appreciating the smirk on his friend's face.

Smiling at Kurama, Hakkai tilted his head. "If you have any problems with Gojyo, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to reign him in for you. No need to involve your leaders. He is mostly my responsibility, anyway."

"Are you his keeper, then?" Kurama asked. His face twisted in sympathy at the very thought.

"Only when I have to be," Hakkai said, still wearing his enigmatic smile. "Gojyo really doesn't mean any harm, he just has little to no restraint when it comes to his...baser instincts."

"Come on," Gojyo groaned, frowning over at Hakkai. "Don't you start, too. Between you and that jealous fox, I'll never get anywhere with him."

Jealous? Kurama nearly stumbled, his eyes wide. More like protective, and more than a little annoyed. After all, he had no reason to be jealous. It wasn't as if he and Hiei were anything more than friends. And besides, Hiei wasn't interested in the kappa, anyway. He just didn't want to see his friend bothered by some sex starved demon out for a quick lay. The thought brought a wry smirk to his face and he shook his head, wiping it away. Yes, he might fit that description himself at times, but he'd still never act so obnoxious about it. Unlike the kappa, he had self control.

"I'm not interested in being a conquest," Hiei sniffed, rolling his eyes again. "Find a whore somewhere and get over it."

"So sharp," Gojyo winced, leaning a bit further away from Hiei. "Who said I was looking for another conquest? Water sprites get lonely, too." His voice softened, dropping to a smooth murmur as he 'tiptoed' his fingers back onto Hiei's shoulder. "Don't you ever long for someone warm to cuddle with at night? Even a strong self-reliant demon like you must get lonely..."

Kurama spotted that hand from slitted eyes and two things happened in quick succession. The kappa's fingers brushed the back of Hiei's neck, sending a shiver over the little demon. And Kurama growled, reacting without a second thought. Within seconds he had a very tight grip on the water sprite's wrist, and death in his eyes. "Stop that," he hissed. "Just stop it."

Scrubbing his hand over that tingly spot on his neck, Hiei stared up at the two demons with wide eyes. When had Kurama gotten his shift down to a matter of seconds? He'd never seen him turn youko so fast. "Kurama."

Still glaring, Kurama shoved Gojyo away, baring his teeth. "Just leave him alone."

All playfulness vanished from Gojyo's face and he returned the glare with one of his own. "That's not up to you," he said sharply. "If he wants me to stop, all he has to do is say so. He hasn't. If you don't like that, too bad. It's not your decision to make."

Hakkai slid between the two, disarming the stand-off as easily as if they weren't dangerous demons. "Both of you settle down. He isn't a piece of meat to fight over." Kurama flinched, turning sharply, and Hakkai followed his gaze. "Hiei?"

"Don't look at me," Hiei growled, his shoulders hunched in irritated embarrassment. "I didn't do anything."

"Gojyo," Hakkai said softly, his voice seemingly pleasant, but his eyes very sharp. "Why don't you go with me to get some food from the village." His friend frowned, shooting a glare at Kurama again. "Now." Red eyes flicked back to him, and he smiled as he placed a hand on the demon's shoulder and turned him. He flashed a smile back at Kurama as he prodded his friend off the path. "You should find a nice clearing not far from here. We'll be back shortly."

The two old friends watched as they disappeared, neither speaking or looking at each other. After a few minutes of silence, Kurama folded his arms over his chest and glared off to the side. "Have you really never told him to stop?" he asked, his voice cold.

"What does it matter?" Hiei sniffed, not looking at him either. "The innuendos are worse if I complain. And it's not like he's serious."

"No?" Kurama stiffened, turning his head to stare at Hiei's back. "You really don't think he's serious?"

"Of course not." A minute passed, then Hiei shot a look over his shoulder, raising an eyebrow. "At least not about me. You on the other hand, I'm not so sure."

Kurama's eyes widened, confusion written over his face. "What do you mean?"

Hiei snorted, a slow smirk twisting his lips. "He's been trying to bait you since he met you. I didn't think he'd manage to get a rise out of you, though. Short temper you have there. Did you really think I needed the protection, or were you accepting the challenge?"

"You..." Kurama closed his mouth slowly, scowling at Hiei in rising confusion. Was he serious? Surely Hiei could tell the kappa wasn't taunting him because he wanted him. He was showing off how much he could get away with, ignoring Kurama's warning from earlier. He'd told him not to treat Hiei that way. But Hiei...could he really think it was just a game? "Has he done this to you before? Before I got here, I mean?"

Hiei shrugged, moving off the path and toward the clearing Hakkai had mentioned. He heard the fox catch up and sent him another look over his shoulder. "He flirts with anything that moves. As far as I know, he's already slept with every female in Touga's fortress, and a number of the males. But he didn't start taunting me until Touga requested that you and Yusuke come here. He probably wants to add three more to his count."

"He really is a kappa," Kurama grimaced. "Even youkos are more selective than that."

"Hn. But he's not a rapist," Hiei taunted. "Youkos take, kappas woo. That's why Touga keeps him around. He finds it amusing."

"Youkos might be more forceful with their lovers, but we certainly aren't rapists," Kurama growled. "That's insulting."

"Words," Hiei shrugged. "The point is, without permission he's harmless. It isn't a conquest if he doesn't get a willing partner. So if you're not interested, just ignore him."

"Like you were ignoring him?" Kurama scowled at his friend, still miffed by that insult. "Maybe it's easier for an asexual half-koorime than it is for a rapist youko."

Hiei stopped, letting out a loud sigh without glancing back. "I never said you were a rapist, kitsune. It's a word used for sexual predators, which youkos are. And for your information I have never been asexual. Even female koorime aren't just asexual. How do you think I was born?" He tossed his head, pushing further into the woods with a low grumble. "Stupid fox...since when are you so quick to get all huffy...?"

It was a good question, and one Kurama didn't have a ready answer for. Shaking his head at himself as much as the situation, Kurama hurried to catch up. "I haven't shifted in years," he admitted, his voice soft. "I guess my temper is quick to flare now. I'll shift back."

"No," Hiei sighed, "better to stay that way. You can't attack the first person to annoy you when we get to the fortress. Just get used to being yourself again." He tossed a look at Kurama and shook his head with a wry smile. "You should have known better than to go so long without shifting. Your demon nature must be peaked from disuse."

"I do feel ready to tear someone apart," Kurama said. He gave Hiei an abashed smile, running a light hand through his silky silver hair. "It's as bad as I felt when I fought Karasu that first time. I want to battle."

"Just don't pick your fight with Touga's men. I'd never hear the end of it from Mukuro. And don't pick one with me, either." He frowned up at Kurama, tilting his head a bit. "If you can't handle banter, just say so. You never had a problem with it before."

"True," Kurama winced. "I'm sorry. I know better than to take your insults seriously." He watched Hiei for a moment before giving a smirk at the demon. "And for the record, I never thought you were asexual. I just didn't like you calling me a rapist. It hurt my pride...and my feelings."

"Ch', didn't know you were so thin skinned." Hiei rolled his eyes with a smirk of his own. "How would you refer to youkos?"

"Hm..." Kurama tilted his head, thinking about it for a moment. Then he flashed a smug smile down at his friend. "Masterful lovers." A sharp laugh answered that and he smirked, feeling the last bit of tension lift. He wondered if it would stay that way once the other two got back, but for now, it felt like old times. The only difference? Hiei's eyes seemed to spark now when he laughed.

- - -
TBC