Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Kurama meets the God of Death ❯ Heero Worried ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own Gundam Wing or Yu Yu Hakusho. I just wish I did.
 
Warnings: uh…injuries, braided bakas, cute kitsunes, AU (for Kurama) (and the Gundam boys too!), language, shounen ai/yaoi (1x2, KxH, 3x4, maybe 5x6…)
 
I've decided that this is AU for Gundam Wing as well. The Earth has been destroyed and everyone lives on colonies. The forest the bakas ran through was on a colony :sweats: The reason for this change (or clarification) will be made more understandable in this chapter (I hope…)
 
This chapter has a healthy (or unhealthy, depending on your point of view) dose of angst. Sorry for it, but this chapter and this fic will have a happy ending - just keep telling yourself that!
 
Italics are either scene changes or thoughts. It should be obvious, but tell me if it's not.
 
Kurama Meets the God of Death 3
 
On Kurama's world/in his time…
 
“Hn. He's not dead. I can feel traces of him somewhere… I just can't pinpoint it. It's a place that doesn't have energy like the human, demon, spirit, or nether world. I don't understand it. It feels so…metallic. And far away.” Hiei told his friends as he slowly turned in a circle, Jagan open, eyes closed, a look of deep concentration on his face.
 
“What? Like another planet or something?” Kuwabara asked stupidly.
 
“Ha! Right! Kurama was transported to a random planet. And he's still alive - everyone knows he can breathe sulfuric gases and everything. Get a grip Kuwabara…” Yusuke scoffed before being cut off mid-rant by Hiei.
 
“Actually, the idiot might not be far off. If it's another planet, it's an awfully small one, but it does feel like it's on a material plane. Kind of like human world, but different somehow…”
 
Back at the Gundam Boy's safe house, several days after Duo and Kurama broke out…
 
Heero doesn't talk. At all. He's even more silent than usual. He hasn't said a word since he decked Wufei. It's been three days…
 
The other Gundam pilots are getting worried. Not only is one of their friends missing in action (there's been no word of a breakout, no death announcements, no secret messages ensuring them of the braided boy's safety…), but another of their friends is taking it much harder than they would have expected. Wufei apologized a day ago for saying that Duo deserved to die if he couldn't break out (and that apology had cost him a lot), but Heero still hadn't said a word. He doesn't respond to any of the boys' words, jokes, or frustrated screams.
 
Heero barely eats, doesn't sleep, and constantly checks his email, hoping for some word about the status of his friend. He doesn't care what the news is - anything would be welcome. It's the fact that he doesn't know that's killing him slowly.
 
The others are glad that there's been no missions for the last week. While there's a chance that a mission may distract Heero from his grief, there's an equal chance that it would just give him a chance to end it all. The thought of losing two capable pilots and friends in such a small period of time made them feel ill.
 
On the fourth day, they finally got word about a breakout from THAT prison. News traveled slowly these days, with all of the colonies seemingly against each other and no Earth to mediate. Most of the news was eventually proven to be false, meant to misdirect and manipulate the other colonies. Because of this, when the boys heard that two people had escaped from…that place… they weren't sure what to make of it. Maybe that prison's definition of escape was death.
 
It was this thought that sent Heero deeper into depression and led him to quietly circumvent his own security system to take Gundam Zero out for a solitary flight. He didn't know where he was going, just that he had to go somewhere. And he didn't want the other boys to know until the last possible minute…
 
Quatre and Trowa were laying on the couch, feet mingling briefly before one or the other would pull back, blushing slightly. Wufei was trying to read on a straight-backed chair nearby, but having trouble concentrating with the way the two would jump at any contact with the other. After a while, he sighed and said, “I know you two like each other, so stop trying to hide it from me and yourselves and just…argh! I don't know! Do something already!”
 
The two on the couch blushed and jumped guiltily before meeting each other's eyes and blushing even more. Wufei rolled his eyes and tried to read again. He had just started to get to the good part when Quatre jumped up and screamed, “Heero!”
 
Wufei and Trowa jumped up as well, used to Quatre's bursts of sudden empathic knowledge.
 
“What's wrong?” Wufei said anxiously. He still felt bad for what he had said about Maxwell and how it had hurt Yuy.
 
“He's gone! He left! But…he feels happy…” Quatre's brow furrowed as he frowned. “I don't understand…Duo?! No…yes…and someone else… I don't know.” He looked up at the other boys. “Sorry - it's usually not this unclear. It's like there's something blocking it…”
 
“But…is he gone?” Trowa asked. “Did he leave? You seemed pretty sure about that. Should we go after him?”
 
“No. Let's leave him for now. I think everything's going to be okay.” Quatre answered, his tone of voice more confident than he felt.
 
Heero had been flying his Gundam directly south when he saw something that made him say his first word in days. “Duo?” He whispered, blinking uncertainly at what seemed like a mirage to his tired eyes. There, just a few hundred yards away, was something that looked terrifyingly like Deathscythe. Terrifyingly because while it was shaped the right way, it was glowing an odd green color and it looked like it was only held together with luck and wishful-thinking.
 
It was drifting slowly in his direction, and Heero could do nothing for several minutes but watch it's agonizingly slow progress. After a while, he snapped out of it and flew swiftly toward his best friend's…umm…junk heap.
 
When he was close enough to reach out and touch the mangled machine, Deathscythe's cockpit popped up and someone in a space suit came out with someone else (also in a space suit) who was hanging limply from their arms. The person carrying the other person looked up at Zero, then nodded and pushed off against Deathscythe's frame, shooting toward Heero and his Gundam. As the figure got closer, Heero realized that the face in the suit wasn't Duo's as he'd hoped. Despite this, he opened his cockpit to let the other person in, still carrying the limp body. Heero had a sinking feeling that the hurt/unconscious/dead person must be Duo.
 
When the stranger finally reached Zero (time seemed to crawl while Heero tried to make out Duo's face), he gestured the man in. The man hesitated, studied his face, nodded, then reached in. Heero grabbed his hand, pulling him and the tightly-held burden inside quickly and shutting the cockpit.
 
He fumbled with his gloved and shaking hands, trying to get his helmet off in the tight space and gesturing for the other man to do the same. When both helmets were off, they looked at each other, one relaxing slightly while the other tensed.
 
Kurama recognized this boy from Duo's description - this had to be Heero. His deep blue eyes were dark and filled with pain and were much too old for his body. They reminded Kurama of his own eyes, and Duo's. His chocolate hair fell in his eyes, darkening the shadows under them. Relaxing with the knowledge that this was a friend, Kurama allowed the other man to scrutinize him in the same manner.
 
Heero, on the hand, tensed when he saw the deep red hair and inhumanly green eyes of the man in front of him. Those eyes… this man wouldn't be frightened by a mere glare. He reminded Heero of Duo, the way Duo laughed in the face of danger and provoked people even as they tortured him. In a way, it comforted Heero to see that Duo had a friend so like him - he could now see the person held tightly in the red-head's arms and knew with barely a glance that it really was Duo. He just didn't know if the boy was dead or alive.
 
Seeing the Gundam pilot's change of focus, Kurama took Duo's helmet off and showed the boy's friend that he was breathing. Heero relaxed a little more and reached for the other pilot. Kurama willingly handed the boy to his friend. Heero looked down at Duo's face and happily watched the slight facial twitches, heard the rasp of his breathing, felt his heart beat.
 
Kurama smiled, happy that the one the braided boy had chatted about so incessantly over the past few days seemed to care for him as well. He helped the other boy take the suit off of Duo so that they could inspect his injuries.
 
“I'm sorry I didn't heal him - it was all I could do to keep Deathscythe together and operational. I…” Kurama turned more and more pale as he talked, and finally stopped, putting his hand to his head and swaying slightly.
 
“Here! Sit and I'll call for help! Try to relax.” Heero told the boy who looked close to passing out.
 
Kurama smiled gratefully and sank into the pilot's seat. He was asleep in seconds.
 
“What in the world happened to you, Duo? And who is this guy?” Heero asked his unconscious friend.
 
TBC…
 
Author's Note: Please review and thank you very much for reading. Sorry for the angst! Couldn't help it… I promise it'll get less serious again (if that made any sense…) I guess next chapter will involve the boys getting patched up, everyone meeting Kurama (and exchanging names…), and the story of just what happened to the bakas after they broke out of THAT place. Also some 1x2 cuteness and maybe some talk about Kurama's reactions to the Gundams and the story of why the Earth's gone and… I don't know…we'll see, shall we?
 
I was thinking about eventually crossing this over with Naruto as well. It would probably only have the Gundam boys and Kurama and Hiei there. Or I was thinking that Kurama would go back to his world and the Gundam boys would do some time travel. At the very least, Duo and Heero will go, but tell me if you think Kurama and Hiei should come along. The pairings would be (at least) 1x2 and Kakashi x Iruka (and maybe Sasuke x Naruto.) Please tell me if anyone's interested! I already have ideas for that part of the fic. Or will it be a separate fic… Argh! I don't know! Help me out, here!