Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Carried Away ❯ Carried Away ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Carried Away
Summary: He loved her, and he would always love her.
Pairing: Hiei/Kagome
Fandom: YYH/IY
Disclaimer: I hold ownership to nothing but the words I have written.
Contest Entry: Songfic; Written for the Kagome-x-Hiei club on Deviantart
Song Used: When Your Heart Stops Beating - Plus 44
Word Count: 3,099
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Turn it up I never wanna go home
I only wanna be part of your breakdown
She got caught by the four on the floor
It picked her up and she'll never get let down
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Enma never knew who it was; he only knew that his precious miko had committed a sin. She had fallen from grace and allowed a demon to love her physically, pouring her emotions and energy into the act. Her ability had spiked, warning all, and it was the only clue that Enma had.
 
But, when he questioned her about it, she did not deny it. She refused to; she loved the demon she gave herself to. She would never deny loving someone, no matter how much Enma wished it otherwise, so she was ready to sign her own death warrant. She was ready to give herself over to Enma's punishment, because she knew the law and she knew that her demon lover would be killed when Enma twisted her words and made it seem like his fault entirely.
 
She could never wish death upon another.
 
Yet, at times like these, Hiei wished she would.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
And now I can't stop thinking about it
All you people at the top don't know nothing about it
We don't give a fuck what the price is
So just leave us to our own devices and we'll leave you alone
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
He did not wish for her to die. He had known what touching her meant, yet she had begged him, wanted it, and he had relented. He had touched a miko in the most sinful of ways, damned himself, and yet he had loved every minute of it. Loved it so much that he hissed and did not truly care what those above him thought.
 
He loved her, what more could he explain.
 
True, he was a demon. He was never meant to be with someone so pure, so loving, but when given the opportunity, he had snatched it up without a thought. He had decided to open himself, give all of himself to her, and was returned with her love and compassion. To her it did not matter that he was a demon and she was a miko, as long as she could say she loved him with all her heart. And he loved her even more for that single frame of mind.
 
Still, the knowledge that Enma had already begun to plan her death ceremony was unnerving. Hearing her speak so softly about it grated on his nerves, because she should at least care a little. Yet, he knew she did. She did not want to leave him all alone in the world again, but knew that giving him up would end with at least one or both of them dying.
 
So, she thanked whatever god she could for her abilities. Because it was only thanks to them that Enma would never know whom she had been with. They purified her body to the point that Enma could find no evidence of anything but penetration, and all because she did not wish him to. It acted out of instinct, fighting against the one it deemed a threat, and never allowed him a hint of who her lover was.
 
He never wished to see her die, and watching her move about as if everything was fine and normal struck him hard. He knew everything was not all right, that something bad would happen very quickly, and he did not want to see it happen.
 
If only Enma had some sort of compassion. If only the god knew a little bit of emotion. At least then he might have realized how much the world still needed Kagome's sweet, loving nature. Her ability to see beyond the evil and hatred, and touch the small amount of light that still remained. If only he could see that, because maybe then he would leave them alone.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
I'll be there when your heart stops beating
I'll be there when your last breath's taken away
In the dark when there's no one listening
In the times when we both get carried away
When we both get carried away
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“I promise.”
 
It was only two simple words, but they held so much meaning. She had asked him a simple request, be there when she dies, and he had agreed. Agreed to watch Enma perform her execution, because he knew that him being there would keep her solid. She would not break as long as she knew he was there, and she would allow herself to fall into death's grip as long as he was there.
 
He hated himself. He should have told her no, allowed himself to get carried away and yelled at her. He should have told her that she was a fool to not give up his name, because he would rather see himself die than her. He should have put his foot down and demanded she right the wrong, because it would be better for his taint to leave the world rather than her light.
 
But he knew her. He knew she would shake her head and cry, telling him over and over again that she could not do that. She would not condemn him to death, no matter how much he screamed at her to do it. So, he agreed. He agreed, holding her closer and wishing that it would all just go away.
 
In return, she gave him a night of passion.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
She says it all without a thought in her head
She says it all and she's pressed up against me
A little something just to take off the edge
A little more and I'll fall of the planet entirely
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
She poured her entire being into the act, giving him a night to remember her by. Trying to tell him that everything would be ok, even if she was not there to help him through the night. Trying to tell him that he could continue on, even though she was not there to hold his hand and tell him how much she loved him. Trying to make him see it all, but all he saw was the bright light in her eyes and wished that it would never be extinguished.
 
He watched her, seeing the way the sweat formed along her brow and how her movements became erratic. Watched the way she pressed herself against him, trying to create as much friction as possible, and silently wished that they could stay like that forever. Silently wished that Enma would forget about his little execution and leave them to their own devices, if only so he would never have to let go of her sweet, sweet love.
 
If only so he never had to see that light fade away.
 
He was getting so close, just a few more heartbeats and he would explode into a million little pieces. Yet he did not want it to end, he never wanted it to end. He never wanted to have a cold night in their bed, knowing that she would never rest in it with him again. He never wanted to know she would not be there to heat his body or cause him to fall over the edge.
 
But, she insisted. She leaned over him, even as she tried so desperately to reach paradise, and whispered in his ear. “Promise me, Hiei. Promise me you'll be there, please.”
 
She broke his wish to never know, and he growled as he grabbed her hips. His voice was rough and almost a snarl, as he forced her higher and higher. “I promise.”
 
And again, he did not tell her no. He did not put his foot down and yell at her. He did not try to make her understand that he should be the one up on the platform waiting for execution. He did not try, because he only wanted to think about that moment. And, to make her happy, he agreed again, because he knew that doing so would make her think about their moment together then.
 
He knew that doing so would give them both what they wanted. He knew that doing so would give their love what it needed when it was becoming so strained. And he knew that doing so would allow her the chance to let go and fall over the edge with him.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
I'll be there when your heart stops beating
I'll be there when your last breath's taken away
In the dark when there's no one listening
In the times when we both get carried away
When we both get carried away
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
I promise.”
 
Damn that promise. He did not want to watch his precious Kagome die; yet he knew the time was drawing near. Enma had already come and gone, leaving only the knowledge that soon she would die. Soon her light would be put out for eternity, never to be seen again because of his foolishness.
 
He never should have touched her. He never should have committed such a crime. It would have proved his love more than he ever had in their time together, for he would have allowed her to know he loved her so much he did not wish to see her die. Yet he doubted that would have meant much to her. She probably would have flashed those pretty, flaming blue eyes at him and he probably would have broke anyway, tarnishing his love whether he wanted to or not.
 
Oh, and how he loved the way she managed to push him. She brought him so close to the edge that he was positive he might hurt her, yet he knew he never would. She nudged him along to the point he almost thought he was a dog, but he knew she only did it to keep him on his toes. To make sure he was never tired of her, though he doubted he could ever become tired of his sweet, sweet Kagome.
 
But their time together was drawing to a close. The very fact stabbed at his heart, causing him more pain than a physical wound ever had. The small piece of knowledge hurt him, and he knew she saw it, because she was constantly trying to spend time with him now. She had even quit the little day job she had taken to keep up appearances, just to make sure they had as many little moments as they could together.
 
Hiei sighed, for he knew it should be him trying to make her life seem a little less bleak. He should be the one trying to make her smile, to laugh, to simply be happy, yet she was taking it upon herself to make him happy. She was taking it upon herself to make sure he had as many memories of her as she could, even though it was her that was going to die. And he wanted to shake her for it, try to make her think of herself for once in her life, but he knew he would not.
 
She would not be his Kagome if she acted any different. She would not be the little miko he had come to love if she did not put herself before others. She would not be anything that he knew her as if she did not do the things she did, and his heart hurt simply thinking about.
 
He did not want to watch her take in that last breath. He did not want to watch her die—her heart stopping in that single instant and signaling she would never be apart of his life again.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
I'll be there when your heart stops beating
I'll be there when your last breath's taken away
In the dark when there's no one listening
In the times when we both get carried away
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
He stood there silently, feeling numb to the point he did not notice the slight grip the fox had placed on his shoulder for a moment. Or the way the detective decided to pat his back. He was conscious to the actions, but he did not really feel them physically, and he knew the reason why.
 
They were the only ones that knew. They knew of his love and what he had done. They knew he was the reason his little miko was walking down the path to her death. They knew he was the reason why she took each step, moving closer and closer to Enma, and smiling while she did so.
 
He wanted to close his eyes. He wanted to stop watching. He did not want to see her smile while she died, nor did he want to see her beautiful eyes close for the last time. He did not want to see his sin washed away, because he wanted to hold onto it with all his might.
 
He wanted her to stay alive.
 
She reached the platform, and he realized that her smile had almost brightened while looking upon her death. She had come to terms with what was going to happen, and she was ready to take the punishment. She was ready, because she knew that it meant he would stay alive.
 
It angered him, beginning to wash away the numbness that he felt. To watch her smile while she knelt to receive her punishment. To watch her be so ready to embrace death, with only the knowledge that it would not come to him. Damn it, he should be the one kneeling on that platform, ready and willing to give up his life for her. He should be the one spitting in the face of the gods, telling them that they could do what they wished with him, because he was glad he had bedded a miko.
 
It was easy to be angered with her, but it was even easier to turn that anger upon the one speaking once she knelt. Enma was the fool that thought he should break apart such a loving soul, all because of his petty little rules. He was the one that was going to take away what made him happy. He was the one that was sentencing death to the purest person in the world.
 
And he should die for it.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
When we both get carried away
When we both get carried away
(I'll be there when your heart stops beating)
When we both get carried away
(In the dark when there's no one listening)
When we both get carried away
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Hiei listened to Enma go on and on about Kagome's sin. He began to crack in that moment, because Enma knew nothing of what he spoke of. His sweet, little miko's purity outweighed any sin she might commit; yet the god could not see it. He saw only the crime, only the small taint that bedding and loving a demon brought, and he wanted to smite it.
 
The fox's hand returned to his shoulder, probably trying to tell him to calm down, but he could not be appeased. Enma's words sliced into his conscious, and he hated the god more than ever for what he said. He had no right to speak about his miko in such a way. He had no right to make her seem like a criminal, when her only crime was love.
 
But, it was seeing his miko look so defenseless and ready to die that forced him to break entirely. He could not stand the thought of her death, and seeing her kneeling in defeat was the final straw. He would not stand by anymore, no matter how much she had begged him not to give up his life, too. He would not stand by and watch her die, not when all he wanted to do was save her and allow their love to blossom into something so beautiful he could not imagine it.
 
The wards on his arm burned to ash within moments, while Enma raised his arm. But, before the god could perform his punishment, the dragon was already rising from his body and taking flight. It forced the god's attention to him, along with all those present, for they knew he posed a serious threat while the dragon was in play.
 
“Hiei,” the miko whispered brokenly. She had never wanted to see him fight, knowing that it could mean his death. She had never wanted that. Only to make sure he could continue to live, and perhaps love again someday.
 
The twist in his chest, the look in her eyes, and the knowledge that she might die had already carried him away, though. He was flying on wings of rage, and he was prepared to fight for her. He was ready to die with her, because he refused to simply stand there and watch her suck in her last breath. He refused, and the swirling blackness of the dragon wrapping around him proved that point nicely.
 
He was not a coward that hid in the shadows. He would be by her side, whether it was in life or in death. And so, he went for the god's throat.
 
--Fin