Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Come Clean ❯ Taking Over Me ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Heather walked into the school and headed straight for her class. She moved past her locker with her first period books hugged to her chest. Her sea blue eyes were focused on the ground and not looking up. Moving into the class she slipped past a group of kids, gathered around a single table, with a single person seated at it. Girls giggled and swooned; guys laughed and gave light, friendly punches amongst themselves. Heather tried to not look over.
 
~~You don't remember me but I…
 
Remember you…~~
 
She knew why they were all gathered around that table. She knew why the girls giggled and the guys laughed at jokes they didn't get, or weren't funny. She knew exactly why everyone hung around that table before the bell rang, starting them all off on their history lesson. In the center of the circle, surrounded by the grinning girls and the chuckling boys, sat another boy. A teenager, who's unnatural charm, intelligence, and beauty, could be matched by no other. He was in a class all his own, a level above everyone here. Heather knew he wouldn't know her. He'd forgotten all about her. Not so much him as the spirit lying dormant within him.
 
~~I lie awake and try so hard…
 
Not to think of you…~~
 
Her sea blue eyes flicked up from the book, snatching a glance at the crowd. It'd thinned out a bit; she could catch a glimpse of shimmering red hair. She heard the soft elegant chuckled and saw the brief, empty smile. Her eyes turned back to her book with the saddest sigh you could ever hear. She didn't get any sleep last night; whenever she closed her eyes she'd see him. The silver locks of hair, twitching ears, and those molten gold eyes.
 
~~But who can decide what they dream?
 
And dream I do…~~
 
She stared at her book without reading. She wasn't paying any attention to the class anymore. She couldn't help it. She hadn't meant to bring him up. No…never again! Then why did this keep happening? He'd been on her mind everyday since the first `Good-Bye'. The blonde-haired girl almost felt tears breach at her eyes. The sharp, loud bell cut through her thoughts. The crowd around him scattered so only he was left sitting there. Completely clear for Heather to see. But she didn't look up. Her eyes stayed as focused on the history book as she could make them.
 
~~I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me. ~~
 
She couldn't focus on the teacher's lesson anymore. Her mind started to wander to the past. To the things she no longer had. She knew her blue eyes had glazed over with that spaced look and she didn't care. She was so lost in a swirl of thoughts that her mind couldn't focus on what the others around her would think. She remembered when he first said he'd loved her. She could remember the very look in his eyes, they way he smiled flashing kitsune fangs. Everything about that moment was as fresh in her mind as it was in her heart. And her heart ached to hear those words again.
 
~~Have you forgotten all I know?
And all we had? ~~
 
She sighed again, subconsciously. Her book was propped up on the table and she looked at it, but the words were all blurred together and she wasn't seeing them. Did he remember her? Was that night as fresh in his heart as it was in hers? She knew it couldn't have been. He'd long since forgotten about her, she was just a one night stand. That made tears come to her eyes. The sea in them seemed alive as the tears moved to her eyes, she tried to blink them back.
 
~~You saw me mourning my love you.
And touched my hand.
I knew you loved me then…~~
 
Just then, she felt someone's hand touch her shoulder. She was sure it was the teacher, snapping her from her day dreams. She blinked and reached up to brush away the tears. But when she looked up to say `I'm sorry sir' she saw him. The shimmering emerald eyes, the brushes of crimson blocking the shine from view. His face was in concerned expression, he sat in the chair next to hers. The chair no one had sat in since the day she began attending this school. She looked around the room, hadn't this seemed odd to anyone else? That the god of the school had just touched her shoulder and sat next to her, looking at her as though she'd just bawled her eyes out. Then she realized, no one was here anymore. The class had ended for lunch.
“Are you alright?” He asked. His voice was soft and seemed distant. She rubbed her eyes in an attempt to not meet those green orbs.
“F-Fine,” she stuttered through the sob that might have come out had he not touched her shoulder.
“It doesn't seem like it. You're Heather, right?” he asked. She continued to rub her eyes; sniffling through her nose she gave a nod. There was a light laugh, making her look up at him. He was smiling softly at her, “Youko's told me a lot about you…”
 
~~I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me. ~~
 
Heather must've looked as surprised and shocked as he felt because Kurama started to look nervous.
“You're…Heather Elizabeth Brown, aren't you?” he questioned. She understood. He was worried he'd just told the wrong person about the spirit fox living within him.
“Y-Yes…I am…” she said, managing the smallest smile. He looked relieved.
“Good,” he said. Heather leaned closer to him, should anyone else hear them.
“Could I….may I….?” she started in a soft whisper. Kurama looked at her with a soft smile.
“Not here…not in the school…meet me at my house…tonight…promise?” Kurama whispered back. Heather nodded and the bell rang. All she could think about, was the meeting awaiting her tonight.
 
That night, Heather snuck from her home without much effort. She'd cleaned herself up, taken a shower and changed her clothes. But her mind had not been rid of seeing those golden eyes again. After all these years…
 
~~ I look in the mirror and see your face…
If I look deep enough…~~
 
When she finally got to Kurama's house, she leapt over the back fence like Kurama had told her too. She silently moved to the garden that over took the back yard. In the silver moonlight illuminating the ground she saw silver roses. The light sparkled off of them as though the moon was lighting each one individually. She followed the roses to a small clearing among all these plants. Standing in the clearing was Kurama, he turned to her as she walked in.
“Ready?” he questioned.
“Yes…” she replied, near breathless. After moments that seemed like eternities, the King of Thieves stood before her once more. He slowly opened his eyes to reveal those gold orbs that hadn't changed at all. The moonlight reflected off his hair, ears, and tail so beautifully it took what breath Heather had from her. The silver light made his eyes shine.
“Hello…Koi…”
 
~~So many things inside…
That are just like you are…
Taking over…~~
 
Heather's body was completely still. Her lungs didn't need oxygen suddenly and her heart felt no need to beat. However, her eyes did start to tear up and she looked as though she was choking on her emotions.
“Is that…really you?” she asked. He didn't answer, but he walked over to her in that motion that was so smooth and so quick it could only be him. Only he, a silver kitsune, could move like that. Her wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close, his lips brushed against hers and her fingers moved back through his hair. It was just as soft as she'd remembered it to be.
 
~~I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me. ~~
 
He held her close in his warm arms; his hair tumbled over his shoulder and brushed against the exposed skin of her shoulder. She shuddered in his arms and he held her even closer. She slowly pulled from the kiss, her eyes only opening to half way. She looked up with her sea blue eyes to meet his gold.
“I can't stay long…this body can't hold me out here for more than a few minutes…” he told her. She knew this couldn't last forever, but she felt like her heart was breaking all over again. Tears brimmed her eyes then fell over to drip down her cheeks.
“I don't want to lose you again…” she said softly, her voice near cracked. His clawed finger wiped away the warm tears.
“I won't be gone forever, I promise you.” He said before kissing her again softly. She kissed back warmly and lovingly before he broke the kiss again. His dulling gold eyes looked straight into her sea blue, as though seeing her for the first time, as though looking at her soul again.
“I love you…” she said softly, her voice little more then a whisper.
“I love you too…my Koi,” he said and stroked her cheek. Closing his golden eyes he started to change back to his human form. Heather felt a smile at her lips. When the eyes opened again they were green once more. Kurama smiled at her. After the two talked, he sent her back home with a gentle good night kiss.
The next day was treated as any other. Heather rarely looked over at Kurama, but one time, when her sea blue eyes looked up, green met blue and it held for a second that seemed like a year. Those green eyes flashed to gold then back to green and she smiled with a soft laugh, brushing some hair behind her ear. Kurama gave a light laugh of his own, a bit nervous, and returned to his work.
 
~~I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you
To live, to breathe
You're taking over me. ~~