Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just as a semi-warning, some of the characters sometimes act OOC. I'm trying to fix it, but I don't catch all of it. If something really bothers you, then tell me exactly where it is and I'll get on fixing it. I'd really appreciate it.
 
It's the weekend, and so I'm updating. Or in this case, adding the next story in my beloved series. I'm adding Ronin Warriors, but it's not a big part, so if you know nothing about it, it doesn't matter. They are very minor characters. It's been years since I've seen it, so some of my info might be off. If you spot anything, just let me know and I'll try to fix it. Hopefully y'all will enjoy this addition as much as you liked the last one.
 
Anaki (nli): Okay, I didn't stop there. I've continued! It makes me happy to know you love this story. I like feedback like that. It's so heartwarming.
 
Rika Munster: I'm glad you love this story. I love those kinds of comments. As for your question, their parents don't know that they've left England. It doesn't occur to most adults that some children can be that resourceful, so they're tearing England apart. They'll eventually get to Japan, but I haven't written that part yet.
 
Demon of Makai
 
 
It was only two weeks into summer vacation, and everyone in the Higurashi household was getting used to being lazy. Well, as lazy as the tourists would allow them. Kagome never knew how many people were interested in looking around her family's grounds and hearing about the legends. It was a good thing she remembered the stories that her grandpa told her, even if she wasn't paying attention at the time.
 
“Kagome, can you help us out?” asked the voice of Michael Lee, the oldest person living at the shrine.
 
“Coming,” she called back to him. It was another busy day at their place, and it was getting hot. Grabbing the water bottles she came in for, she carefully opened the door and lugged them over to the refreshment table. “Here,” she panted, dropping the boxes of water on the table.
 
“Thanks,” Michael said distractedly, already setting them into the coolers.
 
She shook her head at his single-mindedness. But then again, that's what made him a good person to work with; he gets things done when he puts his mind to it. It wasn't fun trying to talk to him since half the time he doesn't hear you, but he keeps things running smoothly. Kagome didn't know what they would do without him. Looking at her watch, she winced inwardly. It's almost time for me to take another group on a tour of the place. Best get moving, I guess.
 
Quickly walking through the crowd, she passed Sota and his group of tourists. He also remembered the stories their grandpa told them, so he did tours as well. He was only in fourth grade, but he knew a lot more than the others, not counting Kagome. He's doing so well she thought with pride. I'm glad we were able to get him here. She quickly got out of that train of thought. I will not think about our other family. Meaning their mother and grandpa. They were in England, with the man their mother married. Looking up, she saw that the group she would be accompanying was ready to go.
 
“Welcome to the Higurashi Shrine. I'm Kagome Higurashi, your tour guide. If you'll follow me…” and they were off.
 
~*~
 
Robin smiled as she handed a customer her water bottle and change. “Enjoy your stay here,” she chirped. This is going to be one of our more prosperous days. I just know it. I'm just glad that we aren't doing this by ourselves. People from school were helping them take care of the place since school let out. They needed summer jobs, so they worked in the shrine. The residents of the shrine were grateful for the help, and the students were happy with earning money. I know they wonder how we make enough to live here with so few of us working.
 
Money was never an issue for them. Most would think it strange that none of them had a job aside from caring for the shrine and still lived comfortably. However, what they didn't know was that they basically had a “money tree” at the shrine in the form of Kagome. Right before her family left for England, they had discovered that the Shikon Jewel made her tears form into Hiruseki Stones, like the tears of the Koorime, or ice demons. As they were rare stones, they sold for lots of money.
 
“Daydreaming?” asked a voice behind her.
 
Whirling, she found herself face-to-face with Inuyasha, the dog hanyou. “What are you doing there?” she demanded.
 
“I'm bored. I'd rather be fighting a demon. At least that has some action.”
 
“Aren't you supposed to be walking around the area, pretending to be Inuyasha, the demon that was part of the group looking for the Shikon no Tama?” she asked, her hands on her hips.
 
“I was, but that's boring. Besides, I didn't volunteer to do that; Kagome made me do that.”
 
“What will happen if Kagome finds out you were shirking your duty? Then what?” she challenged.
 
He looked a little nervous. “You wouldn't!” he exclaimed.
 
“Oh, wouldn't I?” she teased. “I suggest you continue doing your job.”
 
“Fine, fine,” he grumbled and went on his way, but not before stealing one of the water bottles. “Bye, Robin.”
 
“Hey,” she shouted indignantly at his retreating back, “Stay away from my water!”
 
He ignored her and continued on his merry way to wherever that may be. What a guy, she thought. He can be so serious at times, but he's just like a puppy at other times. I guess that's what happens when you're an inu hanyou.
 
A new customer jerked her out of her thoughts. Time to get back to work.
 
~*~
 
The day was finally over. The tourists left with the sun, so they picked up the trash and called it a day. The helpers left when everything was picked up. Now the only people present were the ones that lived in the Higurashi Shrine.
 
Kagome looked at the people around her. There are so many people here now. When the only people here were the Higurashis, there were only four of us. Now, there's two former STN members, my friends from the Sengoku Jidai, Serena, Hiei, Sota, and myself. Actually, the shard hunters from the Feudal Era couldn't really be counted, as they didn't live in the Higurashi Shrine.
 
Reflecting on her new “family”, she realized how fortunate she and Sota were to know these people, especially Robin and Michael, the two STN members. Robin's a lot more generous than most people I know. She gave the shrine back to Sota and me; well, me, but Sota's my brother, and this is his home too, so it's as much his as it is mine. It just happens to be under my name.
 
When the summer had started, Robin said that she would like to give the shrine back to the “true owners of the Higurashi Shrine”. At first, Kagome didn't want that, as Robin was the one that made it possible for them to be here in the first place, but then she and Michael pointed out that it would be for Robin's safety as well as her generosity that it should go back to them. If the STN-J found out where she was, they would come for her. After hearing that, Kagome agreed. Michael then hacked his way into whatever it was that named “Robin Sena” the owner of the shrine and changed it to “Kagome Higurashi”. This way, the STN wouldn't find out that a “Robin Sena” was in charge of it, and come investigate. It would be horrible if they found her. She was a kind person, and Kagome felt that she was the sister that she never had.
 
“Hey, Earth to Kagome, do you copy?” asked Serena, waving a hand in front of her face.
 
“What?” She looked up into the other girl's concerned face. “Sorry. I was spacing out.”
 
“The mail's in, and you have a letter.” She handed Kagome the paper and went to Michael with the bills; he was the only one who understood them, so they let him deal with the money management. Opening the seal, she saw that it was from her cousin in Toyama.
 
“Hey,” she said aloud, “my cousin Mia was wondering why we haven't visited her in a while. I don't think she knows that Sota and I are the only Higurashis left here.”
 
“Why don't you tell her?” asked Sango from her position in the armchair, rocking her son. Miroku was holding their cooing daughter.
 
“I don't know how she'll take it. She was close to us until about three years ago, when she just stopped contacting us. Now we get a letter asking why we haven't been in touch.”
 
“I'd like to see her again,” Sota announced. “She was always nice, and brought stuff with her.”
 
“I'll call and see how she's doing. She and her grandfather were living together last time I checked,” said Kagome, rising from the couch. “I'll tell y'all what's going on when we're finished.”
 
Going to the phone, she dialed her cousin's number and waited for someone to pick up.
 
“Hello?” asked the voice of a young boy.
 
Surprised, Kagome stuttered a bit before asking, “I-is M-mia Koji there?”
 
“Um, just a minute,” the voice said. In the background, she heard him ask, “Where's Mia?”
 
“In the study, where else?” a deeper voice answered. It was a male voice, but not the voice of her grandfather. This only confused Kagome more.
 
She heard a faint knock, then a door open and the young voice said, “Mia, there's a call for you.”
 
Her cousin's tired voice came floating out of the phone. “Hello?”
 
“Mia? This Kagome Higurashi.”
 
“Kagome? This is Mia. How are you?”
 
“I'm fine, just a bit confused. Who was the person that answered the phone?”
 
“Oh, that was just Yuli. His parents died, so he lives here now.”
 
“Oh.” I'll ask about the other voice later. Maybe it was her grandfather. “We just got your letter. It has been a while since we've seen each other, hasn't it?”
 
“It has. I was just thinking about how much time has passed since you've come down.” Amusement came into her voice.
 
“Well, we've been busy. Why haven't you and your grandfather come to see us?”
 
There was silence on the other end, until… “I've been busy, and Grandfather died three years ago.”
 
Kagome didn't expect to hear that. “I'm sorry! I didn't know; no one ever told us.”
 
A sigh was heard on the other end. “It's not as bad as it was when it first happened. I would have told you, but one thing led to another, and I had no time to do anything anymore. But enough about me. How are things at the shrine and the family?”
 
Kagome hesitated a bit before responding. “Well, Mom remarried, and she, her new husband, and Grandpa left for England.”
 
Gasp. “You mean, you and Sota are the only ones there now?!”
 
“Oh, no,” she hastily assured the older woman, “we aren't alone. There's some friends of ours that stay here with us and help look after the shrine. You don't have to worry about us.”
 
“Are there any adults there?”
 
“Um…” Miroku! “Yes,” she told Mia while convincing herself that Miroku, while he didn't actually live there, was there at the moment, and he was an adult. Well, she wouldn't exactly call him the most responsible person there, but he was twenty, so he was technically an adult. “Hey, why don't you come visit us?” she suggested, trying to change the subject. “Like you said, it's been a while since we've last seen each other.”
 
“You know, I think I will,” came her cousin's slow reply. “I need a break from this place.”
 
“Just to warn you, this place is considered a tourist attraction, so we have to work for most of the day almost every day.”
 
“That's fine.” Her voice became hesitant. “Is it okay if I bring a few people? They're getting bored, and need something to do.”
 
“Bring whoever you want,” Kagome replied. “We can use all the help we can get. All help is welcome.”
 
“Thanks.” Relief colored Mia's voice. “I really don't trust them to not destroy the house while I'm gone.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Oh, it's nothing,” replied Mia quickly. “When should we come?”
 
“When's the earliest you can get here?”
 
“It'll take a few hours, but we can go tomorrow. I remember the way to the shrine, so I'll just drive.”
 
“Good luck. And if you get lost, just call, and we'll try and get you here safely.”
 
“Okay. I think dinner's almost ready, so I have to go. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow and whoever you're bringing as our new slaves.”
 
“Okay, bye.”
 
“Bye.” They hung up.
 
Upon entering the kitchen to eat with the rest of the household except for Hiei, she sat down and told them what was happening the next day.
 
“So your cousin's coming with some people to help us work?” asked Michael.
 
“Yeah, she misses us and probably wants to make sure that we're being taken care of. She was always looking out for us when we were younger.”
 
“How old is she?” asked Robin, passing the mashed potatoes to Serena.
 
“I think she's twenty. I'm pretty sure that she's bringing the boy, Yuli, with her.”
 
“How old is he?” Sota wanted to know.
 
“I'm not sure,” she said honestly. “And there was another guy's voice. At first I thought that maybe it as her grandfather, but then she said he died three years ago.”
 
“He and Yuli are probably the ones she doesn't trust,” said Sango while trying to make sure that her daughter didn't steal any real food from the table.
 
“You could be right,” mused Michael. “Then again, maybe she meant some of her friends that have house keys.”
 
The rest of dinner was spent talking about how their day went. She noticed that Robin and Inuyasha shared a meaningful look at one point, but didn't pry. It wasn't any of her business, after all. When she was finished and tired of hearing the others talk, she put her dishes in the dishwasher and went upstairs to get ready for bed. She had just gotten out of the shower and was brushing her wet hair when a knock came.
 
“Kagome?” Sota's voice asked.
 
“Come in,” she called, not taking her eyes off the mirror in front of her. Hearing the door open, she turned to face her little brother. “Is there something you need?”
 
“Mia's really going to come her tomorrow? Isn't that a little, um, soon?”
 
He looks seriously worried. What's bugging him? She took a deep breath. “She needs a break from her current surroundings, she said. I guess she really meant it. She sounded tired on the phone, but then again, it is late, so maybe she was busy today.”
“How many people do you think are coming with her?”
 
Aha! That's what's worrying him. I forgot he gets nervous around too many strangers. He's only comfortable around our new housemates because they've been here awhile. “I'm not sure. Probably only Yuli and the other guy. Is that what's bothering you?”
 
“No, of course not!” He was lying.
 
Laughing, she shook her head slightly; she didn't want to get her whole room wet after all. “You can't lie to me. I know that you've been afraid of strangers ever since you were born. This is really bothering you, isn't it?”
 
He hung his head, defeated. “I guess you're too good at reading me,” he whispered ruefully.
 
“I guess; I've only been living in the same house as you since the day you were born. Now, I'm sure that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. However, you'll have to interact with them a bit. If they need something and come to you, you'll have to tell them what they need to know. Or,” she reflected, “not know.” He knew what she was talking about. “Do you think you can talk to them without losing your cool?” she asked.
 
“I think maybe I can,” he responded, mimicking her tone. “Thanks for talking. See you tomorrow.”
 
“Good night, Sota,” she called as he shut her door. Turning to her window, she opened it and went back to her mirror, trying to untangle her hair. Why can't my hair just be smooth all the time and save me a hurt head? she groused inwardly.
 
“What's going on?” asked a voice from behind her. She turned to face Hiei, her “son” who currently sat on the bed.
 
“My cousin is coming tomorrow with some people to help us out.”
 
“Hn.” I do hate it when he does that.
 
“So, when are you going to tell the others that you've been `found'?” she asked, changing the subject.
 
“I'm not sure. I know I should, but still…” he trailed off.
 
“Why don't you go tell them now?” she suggested. “You've had all the time in the world, and still they don't know.”
 
“But,” he started to say, but she cut him off.
 
“No, you've been given plenty of time, now go and tell them.” She pointed towards the door and gave him a look that said if-you-don't-go-then-you-are-in-big-trouble.
 
“Then you're coming with me,” he stated and went for the door. Reluctantly Kagome followed. In the end, she had to lead because he didn't know where they were staying. Upon reaching their destination, she had him knock and explain everything. At first, Sango and Miroku didn't believe him, but eventually they got them to believe.
 
When Sango screamed and threw herself at him, the entire household came rushing in, and he had to explain everything all over again. By the time they were all done welcoming him back and berating him for not telling them sooner, there wasn't much time to sleep, as it was already five in the morning, but they all went to bed anyway. There wasn't much hope for sleep, though, and they all got up at six except for Sango and Shippo, who were tired out from babysitting.
 
“Um, the booths need to be set up,” stated Robin nervously when she had finished eating. “I'll go do that.”
 
“Wait for me,” called Kagome, who hurried after her. We're all nervous. We're not sure how things will work when Mia and her group come later today. And Hiei being reintroduced last night didn't help the tension any.
 
“If it makes things go smoother, I can disappear for a while,” Hiei's voice came from right behind her. Whirling, she saw his concerned face.
 
“Hiei, whether you're here or not won't make things go any smoother. My cousin's coming today, and they're nervous about it. I'd like for you to stay with us if you'd like to stay.”
 
She didn't even have to ask. The relief wasn't evident if one didn't know where to look, but he tended to unconsciously let down his guard down around her. “If I'm not the cause, then I'll stay. What am I to do to help with the, um, tourists?”
 
“You can do whatever Michael tells you. He basically directs everyone here.”
 
“Okay, then. I'll go ask once the booths are set up.”
 
They worked mostly in silence. After a while, the other members of the household joined them and put up their sections. Sango tried to help, but was shooed back into the house by the others to care for her twins. The same was done with Shippo, who was appointed to help Sango and the newborns. At nine o'clock, the student helpers arrived and manned their “stations”. Thirty minutes later, the first tourists arrived.