Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Once again, I have put up another chapter. Hopefully y'all aren't getting bored of it.
 
Serena SilverMoon: I hope your computer gets fixed soon. I had a Trojan virus on my computer not too long ago, and it was terrible. The two groups will slightly clash, but there's not a whole lot of Inuyasha in this one. It's more Yu Yu Hakusho. I hope you won't be disappointed with this.
 
~*~
 
It was two o'clock and hot as Hades. Kagome had to keep running into the house and get water and ice; at one point, they ran out and Robin had to run to the store and buy loads of both. There was still a crowd, but they weren't moving very far from the drink booths. And, of course, they ran out of water and ice again. Robin volunteered to get more, but Kagome, needing a break, said she'd go. I need a change in scenery anyway.
 
On her way down the seeming-endless stairs to the shrine, she saw yet another car pull up. Who would want to travel in this heat? she wondered.
 
The passenger side opened, and a young boy hopped out. He didn't just get out; he literally jumped out of the car. Then a woman, maybe his mother, got out of the driver's side, and five boys followed from the back. They don't look too happy, she noted idly, still making her way down the stairs. The next thing to get out made her stop, however. A white tiger gracefully came around the back of the car to one of the five boys, who petted it. Kagome stood frozen on the stairs, debating whether to run back up and call the police, or stay still and hope it didn't feel like eating sixteen-year-olds. Seeing her predicament, the woman walked up the steps to where Kagome stood.
 
“Excuse me,” she started, “but do you know if the Higurashis are in?”
 
“Um, I'm Kagome Higurashi. Can I help you?” Her voice shook, her eyes never leaving the tiger.
 
“Kagome? I'm Mia Koji, your cousin.”
 
Now Kagome tore her eyes from the white man-eater. “Mia! It's been a long time.” She wanted to hug her cousin, but the presence of the tiger made her freeze and turn her eyes back to it.
 
“It has been a while. As you can see, I brought the boys so I could keep an eye on them.”
 
In a strained voice, Kagome asked, “A tiger, Mia?”
 
“I couldn't leave him in the house by himself!”
 
“A tiger, Mia?”
 
“Where would I put him?”
 
“A TIGER, Mia?!”
 
“He'll be good, I promise. If he isn't, then his master will have to answer to me.” Her eyes took on a scary glint.
 
“I don't know how well this will sit with everyone else,” Kagome tried to warn her cousin. But what about Kirara? asked the voice in her head that she long ago identified as her conscience. They put up with her. And besides, if the tiger gets out of hand, Kirara is more than a match for him.
 
“We'll make sure he doesn't bother anyone,” Mia pleaded.
 
“Fine,” Kagome gave in. “But if it gets out of hand, it gets the boot.”
 
“Done,” Mia readily agreed.
 
“If you follow the steps, you'll find the tourist set-up. Just ask the helpers for either Robin Smith or Michael Lee. They'll get you settled. I have to go for ice and water. This is the second time we've run out today.” She shook her head in exasperation. “We can't just stop selling cold water in this heat.”
 
“No,” agreed Mia. “If you want, you can just use my car, as it's already out there.”
 
“Really? Could I?” Kagome's eyes were shining.
 
“Sure. Here's the key.”
 
She is so nice. She didn't even ask if I had my license yet. Good thing I do have one. “Thanks.” Kagome skipped down a few steps, but then slowed considerably as she was that much closer to the tiger and the other people in the car. She was dragging by the time she got there, and stopped five feet from the rest of the people. “Um, hi, I'm Kagome,” she managed to get out.
 
They nodded at her, but didn't say anything. She swallowed and continued. “Mia, um, let me borrow her car to get some water.”
 
They still said nothing, only getting out of her way and watching her back up and drive away. Geez, they're creepy. She shuddered. They could've at least said “Hello”.
 
After just about buying all the ice and water from the store, she drove back as fast as she could and started to unload. Staggering to the top with as much ice as she could carry, she spoke to the nearest helpers to have them start bringing up more of the ice and water. With a lot of help, all the drinks were brought up in ten minutes. She had yet to see the new people, but that didn't worry her. Now I need to do the guided tours again. Oh, joy.
 
~*~
 
When Kagome went to get the new water and ice, Robin was selling her water to the thirsty customers and hoping that she made it back in time. She'd better hurry, or we'll be in trouble. Even now, another person was making her way over to her. “Can I help you?” she asked politely.
 
“Yes, I'm looking for either Robin Smith or Michael Lee. Do you know where they are?” the woman asked.
 
Alarmed, but trying not to show it, Robin said, “Why are you looking for them?” Please don't be the STN, she prayed.
 
“I'm Kagome's cousin, Mia Koji. She had to run, so I was told to ask for Robin or Michael. They would tell me what to do.”
 
Robin sighed with relief. “I'm Robin. I'm assuming that you need help in taking everything inside?”
 
“Just tell us where to put our stuff, and we'll be good and ready to work.”
 
I like this girl. She's a lot like Ms. Karasuma. “Well, it can be confusing, and I still don't know my way around the place to just tell you where you need to go. I'll just show you. Um, how many rooms do you think you'll need?”
 
“How many rooms do you have?”
 
“As many as you need.”
 
Mia seemed a little hesitant now. “Um, I need to talk to the boys, and I'll get back with you.”
 
Smiling, Robin assured her, “I'll be right here, so take your time.”
 
“Thanks.” Mia started down the stairs, but she didn't go down the whole way. Robin knew this because she heard her voice shouting, “Hey! Get up here! I'm not going to walk down all these stairs and come up again.”
 
About ten minutes later, Mia came up with a young boy in tow. “We'll need four rooms. Is that okay?”
 
“Sure. Let's just get your stuff and I'll get you set up.”
 
She followed Mia and the boy to the steps and, just like Kagome, froze at the sight of the white tiger surrounded by five teenage boys. Mia, noticing that Robin wasn't following her anymore, sighed and apologized.
 
“I'm sorry. I keep forgetting to warn people about Whiteblaze. He's basically harmless.”
 
This didn't do much to reassure Robin. BASICALLY harmless?! “Um,” she stuttered, stalling for time. “I didn't know you had a tiger with you.”
 
One of the boys surrounding it spoke up. “He won't hurt anyone. I'll keep him under control.” He might have been trying to reassure her, but his tone and expression were on the cold side.
 
“Uh, okay,” she stammered, trying to regain the use of her legs. “Um, let's just get your bags, then, shall we?”
 
Lucky for them, they had taken the bags out before Kagome drove off with them. Gathering what bags she could, Robin led them back up the stairs, much to the boys' displeasure, and into the house. Once inside, she navigated her way around to the stairs and marched to a guest room.
 
“Did you want to stay next to each other?” she questioned.
 
They nodded, not speaking. Indicating which rooms they had to choose from, she watched as they took their stuff and went in. Then, a thought occurred to her a bit late. Wait, two of these rooms are joined by a door. Oops. She waited for someone to come out and demand why their rooms were connected. To her surprise, nothing of the sort came. In fact, they didn't say anything. What is with these guys? she wondered in irritation. It's like they're mute, except that boy spoke to me earlier. Well, I guess I should just be happy that they don't work for the STN.
 
“We're all set. What would you have us do?” asked Mia, breaking Robin's train of thought. Her other companions were looking at her; waiting for orders it seemed like.
 
“Well, what we need right now is Kagome to come back with the water, but until then, you can help sell food and souvenirs. Is that alright?”
 
They all nodded. What is it with them and not saying anything? “Then follow me.” She led them down to the booths and randomly assigned them places to be. With that out of the way, she returned to her spot in the water booth and waited with rapidly disappearing patience for Kagome to come back. Her happy nature reasserted itself, however, once people started bringing water and ice with them to where she was. Now, back to work.
 
~*~
 
Sunset at last, Kagome thought in relief. My legs and back are killing me, and it being hotter than normal didn't help anything. All we have to do now is clean up the trash around the place and go in. I don't think there's going to be a storm tonight, so leaving everything out should be okay.
 
The others shared her thinking, and everyone went home a lot sooner than they usually did. Sango had managed to get dinner ready for everyone before they came in. It was a noisy affair, as it usually was since people wanted to tell about how funny this person was, or how someone did something amusing. The only ones who didn't talk outside their group were the five teenage boys that came with Mia; the little one was chatting animatedly with Sota, Kohaku, and Shippo.
 
Trying once again to be polite, she turned to the closest quiet boy and asked, “So, what do you think of this place?”
 
The boy, his sea-green eyes showing uncertainty, answered in his accented Japanese, “Um, it's nice, I suppose.”
 
“You aren't from around here, are you? Japan, I mean.”
 
He looked down shyly. “No, I am an exchange student from England. Mia kindly let me stay with her while I finish high school.”
 
Interesting. “Are doing okay at understanding what everyone's saying?”
 
“Sort of. It's sometimes hard to understand what everyone's saying when they speak too fast.”
 
“Well, if you want to talk in English to someone who will understand, talk to Robin. She's from Italy, but she said that she had to learn English and Japanese at the same time since she didn't know if she'd be coming here or going to America. I don't know much English, but I'm trying.”
 
“Thank you,” he said, looking slightly overwhelmed.
 
“I think I should introduce you to someone else, too. His name is Shuichi Minamino. He doesn't live here, but he comes to help us out sometimes. He's smart, and I'm pretty sure he can help you with anything you want to know.”
 
“Thank you,” he repeated, looking even more overwhelmed at all the new information.
 
“Not a problem.” She grinned. “So, what's England like?”
 
~*~