Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for not updating sooner. I had to study for my finals, but now that school's over, I should be able to update slightly sooner. Just as a warning, the beginning of this chapter is focusing on two semi-important but non-anime characters.
 
Serena SilverMoon: Yeah, the guys are on the cold side, but they're just pouting that they had to come along. Instead of the summer of fun they were expecting, they got a one-way ticket to a place where they'll have to work in the hot sun. They talk about it later in this chapter. The people in the house are wary of White Blaze, but Kirara's around, and she'll protect them if the tiger gets out of control.
 
~*~
 
They were close. Too close. Jordan watched with her enhanced vision as workers looked for her around the premises of the orphanage. Pathetic weaklings, she thought to herself. They couldn't even run for a mile without having to slow down at some point. But she wasn't here to mentally insult the guards and workers that looked for her. No, she had something else in mind. She would find her sister, and then the two of them would make a break for it.
 
She and her sister Crystal had been at the orphanage for almost five years. They were put in this one because their mother died when they were only eleven. Their relatives weren't notified, or else it was said that they and their older brother had died with her. How they explained it, Jordan didn't know. All she knew was that her brother had been taken by people from the government, her mother got sick, died, and she and her twin sister were stuck in an orphanage, also called the slave camp by the orphans living in said camp.
 
Their lives went downhill once they came here. Rumors abounded of how bad life was at orphanages, this one in particular. But as all rumors are, it wasn't the truth; it didn't even begin to describe the horrors that happened in here. They were beaten, just as the rumors said, but something happened when the beatings were done. There was no sign it ever happened. No cuts, bruises, abrasions, nothing. The children didn't even remember what happened inside, only it hurt a lot. Many times they would have gone to the police, but there was no proof to back them up. They couldn't discuss anything with the other “residents” of the place because there was always a worker around who could hear and report. Someone did talk about it. Once. The following night there was a tragic “accident” where the kid had been hit by a “drunk driver”. The kid died, but the driver was nowhere to be found. Everyone learned the lesson.
 
Something the rumors didn't tell was that this place was primarily a place for foreigners to purchase “workers” and then leave. It was illegal, but they paid lots of money and it was kept quiet. While the children remained at the orphanage, they worked for Momiji, the owner of the orphanage, and when they left, the unlucky ones worked as slaves to their owners. Most of the owners made up the upper class in Africa.
 
This fate was the one she and her sister faced in two days. A slave owner in Africa had bought them yesterday, and was coming to look at them (he and Momiji had done the selling and buying over the phone). When Jordan had gotten wind of this, she immediately started planning on their escape. Stocking up on supplies was her first thought. All day she had “borrowed” food from the kitchen and was hiding it around her room when she had a chance to go up. She didn't have a chance to tell Crystal about it since Jordan herself didn't know about it until that morning when she'd overheard two workers talking about it, and she hadn't seen her twin since they had gotten up. At the moment, it was almost midnight, and her sister still wasn't back from whatever it was she was doing.
 
Jordan growled in frustration. She could be just about anywhere. This place is huge, and for all I know she could be back in our room and I wouldn't know it! Luck decided to look favorably on her in that instant, however. Just below her Crystal staggered towards the searching workers. Dropping lightly to the ground, Jordan pulled her sister to one side and hissed, “Where have you been?”
 
“Cleaning the kitchen took longer than normal. Someone spilled the barbeque sauce all over the floor, and it just about stained whatever it touched. It took forever to get it out. Why?” she quietly shot back.
 
“We have to leave. I found out this morning that we've been sold to some high-class Africans, so we need to leave ASAP.”
 
“I have to get my stuff,” Crystal protested, not willing to give up the last keepsakes of her former family.
 
“I got all of it up on one of the roofs. Let's go.” Jordan scaled the wall, followed by her sister.
 
They gathered their stuff and jumped from one roof to the next while trying not to make much noise. Unfortunately, when they were almost home free, one of Crystal's feet slipped a bit and caused a loose piece of slate to go crashing down onto the head of one of the searchers. He went down with a yelp, causing others to look at him. Seeing the slate, they looked up and put two and two together.
 
“So much for a quiet getaway,” grumbled Jordan, earning herself a glare from Crystal.
 
“How was I supposed to know there was a loose slate there?” demanded Crystal as they sprinted over the last roof and, jumping down, shot down the street like there was no tomorrow.
 
“It's not your fault, but I wish your foot had chosen the slate next to that one.” They didn't bother talking for a long while as they charged down the road and into the trees.
 
“Let's take the high road,” suggested Crystal. “It leaves less tracks.” Her sister nodded, and the two of them made their way up into the trees and commenced traveling on the “high road”. This they did for a few hours until they ran out of trees. It was around two in the morning, but, surprisingly or not, there were people around, which wasn't a good thing. It looked like they were “together”, but it wouldn't do for someone to see them.
 
“Are you going to try and scare them?” asked Crystal bemusedly when Jordan moved forward.
 
“Just a little. Don't let them see you.” She winked and stalked towards them.
 
The guy was the first to notice her. He froze, terror written all over his face. The ditz he was with couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.
 
“What's wrong, love?” she asked, oblivious to the fact that he was staring behind her. “Is there something on my face?”
 
Jordan growled a bit. The ditz turned. And shrieked. That jerked the guy out of his funk. They ran out of the park, screaming, “There's a monster in the park!” She laughed as they ran, and Crystal came out of the coverage of the trees.
 
“That's not nice, calling someone a monster,” she commented, looking at Jordan.
 
“I know. Where do people's manners go?” Jordan replied, shaking her head in mock sadness. “You'd think they'd never seen a tigress before.” Her ears showed that she was amused by their reaction to her, as did her tail.
 
“There'll probably be police swarming this place shortly, so let's get a move on, shall we?” Jordan nodded, reverting to her normal form. They ran for the hills, so to speak. They were running, but it wasn't toward any hills. The lights of the city called them. Knowing that they were being followed, though, caused them to stay away from the popular places for people to go.
 
“What time is it?” asked Jordan, who was barely able to keep her eyes open.
 
Her twin looked at her watch. “It's almost four. We need to get some rest. I don't know about you, but I have to sleep.”
 
Jordan nodded. “Where do you suggest we stay? Just pick a place that doesn't have a lot of people around. I'm not picky.”
 
Crystal took her sister by the wrist and guided her to the base of a tree in a different park than the one they had exited earlier. (They didn't have any money, so it's not like they could've stayed anywhere else.) Setting their stuff down, they sank down to the roots of the tree and fell asleep.
 
~*~
 
The same night that Jordan and Crystal were making their escape, the five teenage boys with Mia were in one room, talking.
 
“Tell me again why we're here,” complained Kento, a burly Chinese boy.
 
Rowen, the brainiac of the bunch, answered him. “Because Mia thought that we'd have torn the house down. You have to admit, her fears are well-founded.” That last remark was aimed at the black-haired Ryo and his tiger, Whiteblaze. “Between the two of you there've been times that the house almost did collapse on us.”
 
The angel-looking one of the group, Sage, laughed. “They aren't the only ones.” He sent a pointed look towards Kento.
 
“It's not me,” he said defensively. Now everyone was looking at him. He hung his head in defeat. “Okay, okay, so I missed a few times and hit the wall instead. It's not that big a deal.” They were still looking at him. “Fine, so I tend to eat a lot too! That wouldn't have destroyed the place.”
 
“You'd have eaten all the food in the house, and then we'd have to use all her money to buy more food. Then you'd eat it all, and we'd have to go buy some more. We'd all be out of money by the time she came home, and have to live as paupers for the rest of our lives,” put in Ryo.
 
They all laughed at this since they knew it was true, even Kento. Only Cye seemed to be a little out of it. Ryo, noticing this, called, “Hey, Cye, you okay?”
 
His head jerked up. Apparently he had startled the young Brit. “Yeah, I'm fine.”
 
Kento, sensing something off with his best friend, came over and got him in a headlock. “So, what did you and the hot chick talk about at dinner?”
 
“Kento!” He struggled futilely against his bigger friend, but failed to get free. “We didn't talk much. She just said that Robin, the girl that showed us the room, spoke English, and another boy she knew might know it as well.”
 
“Who is she?” asked Rowen.
 
Cye frowned. “Um… I don't know,” he said sheepishly.
 
Ryo came over to him and slapped him sideways. “You idiot! You talk to a cute girl and you don't even get her name? What is wrong with you?”
 
Now Cye had to fend off both Kento and Ryo. “Hey, guys, stop it. I just forgot, okay? It's not that big a deal.”
 
“At least they have cute girls here,” sighed Sage. “It'll be the only highlight of what's left of summer vacation. I don't see why Mia didn't wait until school was started again to visit her cousins.”
 
“Because if she did then she would've had to take us out of school,” answered Rowen. “You all know she isn't willing to do that, so during the summer is the only time she could go.”
 
“Well I would've gone on a trip myself if I'd had a bit more warning,” said Sage hotly. “I don't really appreciate being uprooted with less than twelve hours' notice and being replanted somewhere that isn't remotely familiar to me.”
 
“Well, there's nothing we can do now,” said Ryo firmly. “I think we should at least try and make the best of this.”
 
“I still don't see why Mia couldn't have left us back at the house,” whined Kento while still holding a struggling Cye in a headlock. “We would've behaved.”
 
“You'd have tried to behave,” chided Rowen. “Trying and actually succeeding are two different things.”
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Kento brushed his friend's words aside. “I would've done it, though.”
 
Finally getting fed up with his complaints, Ryo stood up and said, “It's done and over with, so let's not talk about what we can't change.” Whiteblaze roared his agreement.
 
“Ryo!” called the irritated voice of Mia.
 
“Okay, Mia,” he called back. “I think we'd better keep it down. What time is it?” They all looked around for a clock.
 
Sage, being the first to find the clock, looked and let out a low whistle. “It's almost one thirty, guys. I think it's time to hit the sack.” He looked meaningfully at them. They all got the message; they were in his room, and he couldn't sleep if they didn't leave.
 
“Okay, Sage-buddy, we'll leave you to get your beauty sleep,” said Kento while following everyone else out the door.
 
“Thanks,” they heard him call sarcastically before the door closed right on their backs.
 
“You know, I'm glad that it's Sage sharing a room with Rowen,” commented Ryo as he went to his door, which was across from Cye and Kento's. “I've been his roommate before, and it's a chore and a half getting him up in the morning.”
 
“Tell me about it,” agreed Kento fervently. “Our Rowen is definitely not a morning person.” He had been on the receiving end of Rowen's bad temper more than once, as the other two knew full well. “Good thing Sage has the patience of a saint, and a temper to match. Most of the time,” he hastily amended.
 
“Too true,” agreed Ryo. “See you guys tomorrow. Night.” He carefully opened the door and walked in to get a decent night's rest.
 
~*~