Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 17

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm back! We just had a 12-hour practice yesterday, and I'm beat. But, since I have time right now, I'm posting. Things are going to be hectic in the following weeks, so I figured I'd better post now, or else I won't be able to later. By the way, while I'm thinking about it, if there's some part of this story that you don't like, please let me know. Since I wrote this, I sometimes can't see if something is where it isn't supposed to be, so if you feel so inclined to tell me, I would appreciate it.
 
Serena SilverMoon: Nope, this demon isn't Hiten. In fact, this demon doesn't have a name. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to give him a name, so I gave a reason for it and let it go. Jordan and Kurama get back in this chapter, but everyone at the village is already fighting the demons. It will be too noisy and busy for anyone to notice if the girls use their power. Unfortunately, you are my sole reviewer for this story. I seemed to have lost Kurama'sFoxyMiko, but I'm just grateful that I still have you.
 
~*~
 
“Any luck?”
 
“What do you think?” Inuyasha yelled at Michael. “You've asked me that same question every day now, and the answer's always been the same. What makes you think that it would've changed?!”
 
“You don't have to bite his head off, Inuyasha,” Miroku reprimanded him. “We're all worried about them. Try to calm down.”
 
“Calm down, he says,” Inuyasha muttered to himself. “I'll show him calm down!” Everyone's nerves were shot. Kagome and the others had been missing for three weeks, and Inuyasha was about to lose his mind. He didn't bother leaving this place anymore; he searched for any lead, but it always ended in that one clearing. He'd searched that entire clearing centimeter by centimeter, but no secret passage revealed itself to him. Now their scents were faded, but he continued to haunt that clearing. “Just wait until I get my hands on you, Kagome. First I'll kiss you like there's no tomorrow, but then I'll give you the tongue-lashing of your life!” Muttering similar threats under his breath, he put his nose to the ground, sniffing for any more clues.
 
~*~
 
Jordan sneezed in the middle of her and Kurama's flight back to the town. We're never going to make it at this rate. “Kurama,” she called, “we aren't fast enough.”
 
“I can go faster, but I'd leave you behind,” he shouted back.
 
“Try me.”
 
His form seemed to blur. When it came back into focus, his hair was silvery and much longer. His ears were on top of his head, like Inuyasha's were said to have been. For clothes, he was wearing what looked almost like a Roman toga, except it went over both shoulders, not just one. His tail streamlined behind him like a banner.
 
Then it was Jordan's turn. Her ears went up like his, and while her tail didn't flow, it helped her keep her balance as she went faster. That was it, aside from her now pointed teeth and claws, and her narrowed pupils. And, of course, her fur, which changed her hair color. They raced, her still following. He never looked back, but he knew she was there. The more they ran, the more she began to recognize her surrounding, even though they swept by like she was on a locomotive. They weren't too far from the village after all.
 
As they approached, there were already telltale signs of fighting going on. Black smoke rose above it like a bad omen, and screams could be heard over the roar of the flames, and the clash of metal screeching against metal. Their pace quickened once again, now desperate to reach the town in time to stop some of the massacre of the humans. When they reached the gate, a gory sight met their eyes. Many humans and demons alike were strewn across the walkways, both living and dead.
 
“This is horrible,” murmured Jordan, her mind numb with the number of casualties for both sides.
 
“War always is,” Kurama said, still striding forward towards the ones who were still fighting. Sickened at the sight but not having the proper amount of time to dwell on it, Jordan followed. Kurama went right into the thickest part of the fighting, using his plants to help him against the attacking demons. Jordan had her claws, teeth, and the ability to read minds. It only showed up when she was fighting someone, which was a bit of a bummer, but she could tell what her opponent was thinking at least.
 
While she was fighting, she lost track of the fox demon she had traveled with, and was now on her own. At least, that was what she thought until one of the demons she was sparring with burst into flames. The others followed suit one right after another. Whirling, she faced a stern-faced Robin.
 
“Those were MY prey,” she snapped at the girl.
 
“I am aware of that, but they were my enemies just as much,” Robin responded coolly. “Now leave this place before one of the villagers mistakes you for one of the demons with our main foe.”
 
That was when it clicked in Jordan's mind. “Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jordan Lee.” Just as she thought, Robin looked stunned.
 
“I'm sorry,” she said. “I didn't know you could turn yourself into a demon.”
 
This caused the tigress to laugh. “I can't. I'm not actually a demon. More like a weretiger.”
 
“I see. I need to get back to burning demons now. Care to join me?”
 
“I don't see why I couldn't. Just, um, keep the other people away from me, or I'm toast.”
 
“Sure.” The two women walked quickly away from the ashes of what used to be Jordan's prey, and rejoined the fighting. “By the way, where's my sister?” Jordan asked Robin as they once again incinerated their foes.
 
“She's with the other healers. There are so few of them that we don't let them fight anymore. They're job is to heal the injured that they come across.” Robin fried the last demon of that particular group and they moved on. Rounding a corner, they suddenly came across Hiei and Kurama, both fighting the head demon.
 
Jordan felt her body freeze at the sight of him. I know him! He was at the orphanage with Momiji. He's the one that would put us in that pain. Her body trembled, but she didn't even care. Her brain was stuck on the fact that this was the person that every child in the orphanage feared, though they could never describe him. It was as if something kept their tongues from uttering one word about him. This doesn't look good.
 
~*~
 
Robin registered that Jordan had stopped short and was staring at the demon with a look foreign to her. She knew what it was, but it wasn't one that you'd associate with Jordan. Terror. Her eyes were wide, and looked like she was about to bolt, except that her whole body shaking from a deep fear.
 
There's something about this demon that is terrifying her. Now what is it? I know he's powerful, but she doesn't scare that easy. “Jordan, what's wrong?” she asked the shaking girl.
 
She only shook her head. Either she was too terrified to say, she couldn't say, or there was a fly in front of her face that she was trying to get rid of. Her body started shaking even harder, and it looked like she would collapse any moment.
 
“Jordan, stay with me,” she commanded, spinning the other girl around to face her. “We can't afford to lose you. We'll go around them.” However, it seemed that Jordan had other ideas. Her feet remained rooted to the spot, like she would stay there for the rest of her life. Robin tried jerking her backwards to get her moving, but her feet still wouldn't move. “Come on,” she pleaded with the silent tigress, growing desperate. “We can't stay here. We'll get creamed if we stay here.”
 
As their luck would have it, the demon noticed them. “So, if it isn't the little tiger from the orphanage,” he sneered, bringing Hiei and his partner's attention to them.
 
“How do you know that she's one of yours?” Hiei demanded.
 
He laughed. “I mark them. It's plainly visible on her face. She couldn't move if she wanted to. Only if I say she can.” He looked directly at them and commanded, “Come, Jordan.” To everyone's surprise, except the demon's, she obediently stepped forward. “You see,” he said, his voice having a boasting quality about it, “she is mine.”
 
“Did you know that was Jordan, fox?” a stunned Hiei asked his equally stunned partner.
 
“No,” his partner answered, sounding almost exactly like Shuichi. “What do you want from her?” he demanded.
 
“Why would you want to know, Yoko?” the demon asked. “I know that while you don't go out of your way to harass humans, you have no love for them, either. Why would you care what I did to a human girl?”
 
“That is not a human girl,” the one called Yoko pointed out. “Humans can't turn themselves into something else.”
 
“She and her sister can, so that means some humans can. You can be so close-minded at times, Yoko,” the demon sneered. “So unwilling to change your ways.”
 
“Then I think it's time I change that,” Yoko said softly. “I think I'll take an interest in humans now. That human in particular.” He nodded his head at the still shaking Jordan.
 
The demon looked at Yoko. Hard. After a moment, he smiled, but it wasn't one that boded well for them. “I do believe that Yoko has finally been hooked,” he murmured softly. “I never would've thought it possible. And by a human girl, no less.” His malicious smile widened. “Now it seems that I have an extra bargaining token. What is this girl worth to you?” he asked the unmoving, silver kitsune.
 
“For you, it means that you'll keep your life if she remains unharmed.”
 
“Do you really think that means anything to me? If I ask her to, she will cut her own throat rather than anger me. All the children learned to obey as soon as an order was given.” His voice went lower. “If they disobeyed, they only did it once. They are more afraid of what I will do to them than anything else, and it has been drilled into them since the day they showed up at my doorstep.”
 
Robin was trying to get Jordan to wake up from the stupor that had surrounded her brain since she saw that demon. “Come back to us, Jordan. We need to leave, so Hiei and Yoko can destroy this demon. We aren't safe here.” But her tugging and pleas didn't move Jordan so much as an inch. I need backup. I can't do this alone. Somebody, please, help me!
 
~*~