Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I am so sorry about not updating. I've been super busy, and I just haven't had time to update. This story's almost done, so I'll finish up soon. Again, sorry about the wait. To halfway make up for it, I'll post the next chapter, too.
 
Serena SilverMoon: I'm very glad that I still have you. Yes, the demon needs to be taught a lesson. The others are taking care of the other demons; he did bring a lot of friends to his little party. Sorry for making you wait for this. I'll try to do better.
 
~*~
 
I need backup. I can't do this alone. Somebody, please, help me! Yusuke almost fell over from the power of that thought as he was fighting a demon. It managed to get in a couple of lucky shots, so now his left arm was just about useless, and that shout didn't help things, since it made him expose his back, and the demon slashed it pretty hard. One more punch, though, and it was down for the count.
 
Since when is Robin a thought-sender? Yusuke shook his head. Ever since we came here, I've been hearing strange things. I must be going mad, but they make sense. I guess I should go see if Robin needs help anyway, just in case. Limping towards the “sound” of Robin's sending, he arrived to a strange sight: Hiei and Kurama were looking at Jordan and the head demon, while Robin was trying to get Jordan to…do something. Jordan just stood there like a bump on a log.
 
“Mind if I crash this party?” he drawled as he stepped into their line of sight.
 
“Please do, Spirit Detective,” the demon mock-welcomed him. “We can always do with more people.”
 
“Mind explaining what exactly is going on?” he asked, nodding at Jordan.
 
“There is some connection between him and Jordan,” Hiei answered him. “He claims that he has control over her. From the way she isn't reacting, his claim may have some validity in it.”
 
“Let's not take that chance. Why haven't you two wasted this guy yet?” the Detective demanded. “These people are dying, and the sooner he's” he pointed to the demon “gone, the sooner the hurt ones can be tended.”
 
“Foolish boy,” hissed the demon. “They can't hurt me. They've been trying and have yet to even touch me.”
 
“We've come close, though,” observed Yoko Kurama coolly. “And you have yet to seriously injure either of us.”
 
“It doesn't matter,” he said indifferently. “I will win. The humans you so want to protect are only food, and there will be very little left when we are done, if any will remain. Like I said, it doesn't matter.”
 
“There's where you're wrong,” Hiei said. “We might not be able to save every human here, but we can save a good many of them.”
 
“You surprise me,” the demon said. “A demon doesn't care about humans, and here I've met two who do. You've been around humans too long, and went soft.”
 
“Actually, I'm stronger than I ever was when I was in Makai,” Hiei corrected him.
 
“As am I,” Yoko affirmed as he and Hiei got into fighting stances again. The demon shook a finger at them.
 
“I wouldn't do that if I were you,” he said in a singsong tone, pointing at Jordan. “One word from me, and she'll kill herself.” This effectively stopped the two demons from attacking him.
 
Robin was still trying to drag Jordan away from that place, but wasn't having any luck, so Yusuke decided that he'd help her; she did call him, after all.
 
“Why won't she move?” he asked the struggling blonde.
 
“I don't know,” she wailed. “We were going to help the others, but when she saw that demon she stopped dead in her tracks, and hasn't moved since.”
 
Jordan's thoughts were bombarding him with no trace of rationality in them. All were full of fear for this demon, and there was little else except to do as he says and be spared that pain again.
 
“Here's what we'll try to do, then,” he said, running a hand through hair made damp by sweat and blood. “You try to tip her backwards, and I'll get her legs. I think we can carry her away from this place if her feet aren't on the ground. Care to try my theory while the others are busy and not paying attention to us?”
 
Robin gave him a weak smile. “Sure. We have nothing to lose at this point.” Hooking her arms through Jordan's, she pulled back while Yusuke pulled her ankles up. To both of their surprise, it worked. She was stiff as a board, but she was up and moveable. “Let's go. Like you said, the sooner she's gone from his line of sight, the better.”
 
They crab-walked her back the way they originally came, and set her down on the side of a building, where she promptly collapsed, shivering. She drew her knees up to her chest and stared at the ground, mumbling incoherently to herself.
 
“Jordan?” Robin called to her softly.
 
She lifted her head, her eyes filled with tears. “I-I didn't think I'd ever have to see him again,” she stammered. “I thought he didn't have a hold on me anymore.” Her eyes squeezed shut. “Why is he here?”
 
Since they were obviously not going to get anything useful out of her, Yusuke left Robin to give her what comfort she could, while he went to help his comrades. They were still in the exact same spots that he left them. Strolling back, he decided it was time to kick things up and finish the demon.
 
“Hey, slowpokes, can we get a move-on here?” he asked in a bored tone. This earned him glares from his companions and an annoyed glance from the demon.
 
“Are you in such a rush for her to die?” the demon asked slowly.
 
Yusuke shrugged. “If she tries to kill herself, then I'm sure someone will be along to bury her. But that's not my problem. Right now I'm just focused on giving you the beating of your life.”
 
The demon stared at him. “I didn't expect you to turn your back on your own people.”
 
Yusuke just smirked at him. “Well, that's one bargaining chip you can't use. And, come to think of it, what else did you plan on using against me? I'm not like these demons. Humans never cared for me, so I never learned to love humans. Kind of sucks for you, since that was your main bargaining chip.” Oh, he's definitely worried now. I can actually see his sweat. “Shall we get started, then?”
 
Without warning, the demon slammed into the ground where Yusuke once stood. Somehow, Yusuke knew what he was going to do, though, and managed to get away even with a bad leg.
 
“You're fast, Detective, but you are injured, and not quite fast enough.” The demon took a swipe at him, and he wouldn't have been able to dodge it except Hiei grabbed his arm and yanked him away. Still, he was only centimeters from his sharp claws.
 
“Thanks, Hiei,” he thanked the little fire Koorime.
 
“Hn. Don't expect me to save you every time,” Hiei said, as usual.
 
“You were lucky that time, Detective,” the demon said. “I'm sure that it won't happen again. You want to get started? Fine. Let's get started.”
 
~*~