Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The penultimate (second-to-last) chapter!
 
~*~
 
Kagome ran from injured person to the next, never stopping to rest herself. I have to keep going. If I don't, then someone who might have been able to live could die. Can't stop, must keep going. With the help of the Shikon no Tama, she was able to heal them without ever needing to rest to recover her strength. It would wear out, eventually, and she would pay the price later, but for now, her main concern was to save the villagers.
 
A shadow covered her current patient. Without even turning around, she knew it was a demon by its aura. Pointing her hand back over her shoulder, she incinerated it with her miko energy. Now that the immediate threat was gone, she returned to fixing her patient and moving on to the next one.
 
“Kagome.” Hm? Who's calling me? I can't remember that voice. They'll have to wait until I'm done.
 
“Kagome.” The voice was more insistent now. Her eyes went flat. Why won't they leave me alone? I need to finish. Now hands were pulling on her, urging her up. She fought them, but more hands pulled her. When she twisted around to see who was interrupting her work, she came face-to-face with Cye and Kento. They were wearing some kind of armor, except Cye's was light blue, and Kento's was orange, rather than the dark armor of the villagers.
 
“What do you want?” she demanded. “These people need me.”
 
“You're working yourself to exhaustion,” Cye said bluntly. “There isn't anyone left here that is in critical condition. Rest.” Kento took her by the arms and forcibly led her over to one of the walls, where she sank down.
 
“Where's everybody else?” she questioned them. “I haven't seen anyone but you two in a while.”
 
“They're fighting the demons,” Kento answered. “We saw you by chance, so we decided to stop by. You haven't had a rest since we started, have you?” At her surprised look, he grinned. “Sage is like that. He'll work and forget to rest, so we have to remind him. And we figured that you'd like the company.”
 
She grinned back at him. “Thanks, guys. I haven't rested since this whole thing's started, but I─” she cut herself off. These people didn't know about the Shikon Jewel, after all. “I just didn't notice,” she finished. “Are you guys tired, too? Is that why you're taking a break?”
 
“We were ordered to by Ryo,” Cye said cheerfully. “So we thought we'd bring in another person to rest with us.”
 
“I see.” Obediently she sat, the two boys on either side of her. “Are there still many demons around?”
 
Cye frowned. “Too many. If Ryo hadn't made us leave, we'd be out there fighting still, but he doesn't want us to wear ourselves out.”
 
“I could still go,” Kento said. “But then Cye wouldn't have anyone making sure he rested.”
 
Kagome was about to say something when Kento shot up. “Something's coming,” he said, bringing his nunchucks up.
 
A giant flying crow flew at him from above, but he couldn't see it; both Cye and Kagome could. “Kento, look out!” she shrieked, but it was closing too fast. He couldn't block it in time. He didn't have to.
 
“Kento!” cried Cye, lifting his yari up and pointing it right at the crow. At first Kagome thought he was going to throw it at the demon, but a bright light was forming at its tip and shot a beam out at the demon. The crow disappeared before it hit his friend.
 
“How did you do that?” Kagome asked, very surprised.
 
“I know how to work my weapon,” Cye said.
 
“What was it?”
 
This time Kento answered her. “Just water. Cye's a Water-user.”
 
“I see.” Not really. They're not witches, but they can control the elements?
 
“Kagome, move!”
 
She immediately threw herself to the right. The demon about to attack her slammed into the ground where she had been sitting just seconds before. Cye grabbed her arm and yanked her away. “Kento, get rid of it,” he yelled.
 
“Got it!” Kento slammed his nunchucks into the ground, confusing Kagome. How is destroying his weapon going to make things better? What confused her even more was when the ground broke, and the crack snaked its way under the demon's feet. Unable to take the weight, the ground crumbled under the demon, causing him to fall and be buried under the dirt.
 
“Let me guess. Kento's an Earth-user,” Kagome said to Cye.
 
“That would be correct. Now that we've ignored Ryo's orders, let's just get back to work.”
 
At that moment, a distressed aura flared up, causing Kagome to leap to her feet and run in that direction. Ignoring their cries to wait up, she ran through the walkways to the aura. She wasn't the first one to reach it. Crystal was kneeling in front of Jordan, whose aura was spiking crazily. Kagome walked to Robin, who was watching the two sisters worriedly.
 
“What happened?” she asked quietly, not taking her eyes off the twins.
 
“Apparently, the demon works for their orphanage, and somehow has complete control over the children there. Jordan was terrified at the sight of him, and it took both me and Yusuke to move her by lifting her off the ground and carrying her here. I can't get any sense out of her, so I hope Crystal can.”
 
“It looks like your hope is succeeding.” Indeed, Jordan was calming down under the care of her sister. “Jordan?” she ventured, stepping closer to them.
 
She looked up and said, “Don't go near him. It isn't safe for humans to be near him. He-he does something to them.” She buried herself in her sister's arms again, close to whimpering. Crystal made soothing sounds, brushing her hair with her hands and rocking her, and also reducing her fear with her Craft.
 
“Why aren't you affected like her?” Kagome asked Crystal.
 
“I didn't see him, and he didn't see me,” she explained. “I'd probably be just as bad if I'd seen him. As long as we're not able to see one another, his power lessens. It's kind of hard to believe that, though, once you've seen him. He leaves an imprint on people.”
 
“I see. So it would be best if we never get close enough to see him clearly, is that what I'm hearing?”
 
“Yes, I think that would be best.”
 
By this time, the two boys caught up with her, and once they saw Jordan in a heap on the ground, the whole thing had to be explained again.
 
“I think that it only works with humans that he's worked with, though,” Jordan said once she was calm enough to talk coherently. “It didn't affect Yusuke at all.”
 
“That does seem to be the way things work,” Crystal agreed.
 
“So it's only you two that can't see him, or have him see you,” said Cye thoughtfully. “Well, if that's the case, then as long as the demon stays where he is, you can fight the other demons with the rest of us, and Crystal can heal the hurt ones there.”
 
“Sounds like a good idea to me,” volunteered Jordan, already more steady. Crystal nodded her approval.
 
“Then, if that's settled, shall we get going?” They all picked themselves up and skirted the area of the fighting demons plus Yusuke. They could still hear shouts of the fighters, at which both Jordan and Crystal flinched, but they weren't rendered immobile.
 
Upon reaching the rest of the fighting, they bid adieu to the twins, Cye, and Kento, who decided to stay and help them, and sped back to fighting demons. Just in time, it seemed, as the demon was still standing, while the others, while standing, were in very bad shape.
 
“You can't beat me,” the demon boasted. “There was a time that you might have been able to, but since you chose to protect humans, it weakened you.”
 
“Just keep telling yourself that,” Hiei retorted.
 
The demon's aura flared, signaling to Kagome that he was going to charge. “Robin, he's going to charge them. Do you think you can distract him?”
 
Robin smiled. “Sure.” She glared at the demon, and it burst into flames. His screams of surprise and pain caused them to fall to the ground, holding their ears and writhing in pain. “It's so loud,” the Fire-user whimpered.
 
“Make it stop,” Kagome pleaded aloud to nobody. The sound seemed to try to squeeze her brains into mush.
 
Then, it did stop. The demon was still panting, and his body had scorch marks on it, but he wasn't screaming in that awful voice. “Who did that?” he demanded. For some reason, he whirled and faced the two girls on the ground. “Which one of you did this?”
 
Neither of them answered. He hissed his rage and lunged toward them and would've make short work of them, except Hiei intervened by slamming into his side.
 
“Foolish little man,” the demon snarled. “Haven't you had enough pain?”
 
“Apparently not,” he shot back. “Care to try that again?”
 
The demon once again sped forward like he was shot from a slingshot, but Hiei dodged him. He did sustain a hit to the arm, though, when the demon raked his claws at him, catching his arm. Then Yoko stepped in by sending his plants at the demon before he could reach the ground and avoid them.
 
“Did you get him?” Hiei asked the fox demon.
 
“I think so,” Yoko replied, though he didn't sound very sure.
 
Malicious laughter was heard from the inside of the plants. “Did you think that I could be stopped by just some vegetation? I feel insulted.” The plants were torn apart, leaving a grinning demon. “I thought you knew me better than that, Yoko.”
 
“It did was it was supposed to do,” Yoko calmly informed him.
 
“Oh? And what was that?”
 
“It bound you to the ground.”
 
He looked down, and there were vines that were keeping him from leaving the dirt. “Did you really think that this could hold me?” he asked incredulously, yanking at them. Unfortunately for him, they didn't break or come out of the ground. “Impossible!” he gasped. “What kind of trickery is this, Yoko?”
 
“No trickery,” Yoko stated. “It's just the nature of the vines. They prey on flying creatures, so they are made to hold down their captives until they starve to death. Now you are unable to move.”
 
“Kuso,” the demon swore. “You won't be able to hold me like this forever.”
 
“It will be long enough,” Hiei retorted, drawing his katana.
 
“Don't go near him,” Yoko warned the small man. “If you get too close, the vines will trap you as well.”
 
“Then it seems that we're at a stalemate,” the demon stated. “I can't move, and you can't come near me. Isn't that a pity?”
 
“Not really. All I have to do is use my Dragon of the Darkness Flame on you, and you'll be history,” Hiei corrected him.
 
“Please, spare me,” he said mockingly. “No one can completely control a Dragon, and even if you brought it here, it would destroy most of the village anyway, which is exactly what I planned on doing myself.”
 
“He's right, Hiei,” Yoko said. “Don't do it.”
 
“Let's just get him with the old Spirit Gun, then,” Yusuke joined in. Pointing his right index finger at him, a ball of energy formed at the tip. He released it at the demon and hit him dead on. “Yeah, got him.”
 
When the dust from the explosion cleared, all that had happened was that Yusuke's Spirit Gun had shattered the plants holding the demon down. Now everyone was gaping at the poor Spirit Detective.
 
“Nice work, Detective,” Hiei said sarcastically. “You just freed him.”
 
“That's impossible,” Yoko said, sounding surprised. “Those plants were virtually indestructible. Not even I could do that.”
 
The demon was laughing. “Thanks, Detective,” he said. “I owe you one.”
 
“Okay, Mr. Wiseguy, that was a mistake that won't be happening again,” Yusuke snapped.
 
By this time, Kagome and Robin were watching the exchange with growing unease. “I think you should use your miko energy,” Robin whispered to her.
 
“Okay.” Summoning her miko power, she formed the now familiar bow, notched the arrow, and let it loose. Due to the fact that she hadn't rested since the fighting began, her aim was off, and she only got one of his arms partially purified.
 
That brought his attention back to them. “You will pay, wench,” he shrieked. Even with the missing arm, he was fast, and no one was able to reach him in time to save the girls. Except one, that is. Right before he sliced them in two, he froze before them, his face one of shock. “What is this?” he snarled. “Why can't I move?”
 
“Because I won't let you,” a female voice rang out. The all spun around to face Serena, holding a glowing crystal in her hands. “The Ginzuishou binds you in place.” Her face was streaked with dirt and sweat, and her body was shaking from exhaustion, but her voice was steady.
 
He smirked. “It doesn't matter. You can't get close to me.”
 
“We'll see about that,” Hiei stated, rushing forward, his katana raised. When he got five feet from the demon, though, he was forced backwards by an invisible force. “What is this?” he snarled.
 
“My field repels demons like you.”
 
“What about me?” Yusuke and Kurama charged forward, but they, too, were pushed back. “What the heck? Why was I pushed back?” demanded Yusuke.
 
“You aren't fully human, and so you are affected by my barrier.” The demon grinned. “The girl shouldn't waste her energy holding me in place. None of you can come near me, so it doesn't matter that I am frozen. Eventually she will lose strength, and I will decimate this village for defying me.”
 
“Think again,” a new voice said. Ryo stood on the other side of their circle of destruction, his red armor making him stand out.
 
“And you think you can defeat me, when these people here have failed?” the demon asked incredulously. “I can sense that you aren't nearly as strong as these demons and non-humans.”
 
“It doesn't matter,” Ryo said. “I can still get near you, and with you frozen, you can't block me.” He charged him.
 
“I think not.” The demon's arm swiped at him, knocking him away. “The girl's strength is giving out, and the force binding me here is fading.” To prove his point, his other arm started vibrating, like he was fighting against Serena and winning.
 
“Hold him!” Ryo shouted at her. She nodded and focused on her Silver Crystal. He turned his attention back to his opponent. “Let's see if you can block this.” He put the hilts of his two katanas together, and they glowed red. Everyone could feel heat radiating off them. Fire shot from them toward the demon.
 
“Fire? You can't harm me with a child's trick like that,” the demon sneered, dispelling it with his free hand.
 
“But I can with these,” Ryo retorted, appearing where the fire had just disappeared, sinking his katanas into the demon before he could retaliate.
 
“H-how could_a mortal? I was defeated by a mortal.” Shock was written all over him as he disintegrated. Things were quiet until someone broke the silence.
 
“Why didn't you do that sooner?” Yusuke demanded. “We could've gotten this over with a whole lot quicker.”
 
“I wasn't here,” Ryo said. “I was fighting the other demons on the other side of this place. Besides, I thought you guys had it covered.”
 
“It doesn't matter,” Robin said, being the peacemaker. She was about to say something else when she saw Serena sway where she stood. “Serena, what's wrong?”
 
“It takes a lot of energy to use the crystal,” she said softly, collapsing. Hiei ran to her side and picked her up.
 
“You take care of the rest of the demons,” he ordered firmly. “I'll take her where she can rest.”
 
“You heard the man,” Yusuke said. “Let's get cracking.”
 
Kagome partnered up with Yusuke and the two of them went in search of more demons. “I wish he could've been defeated a lot sooner,” she said to Yusuke.
 
“I'm just glad he's gone,” Yusuke said. “ I did some major lying back there, and every time a human came near us, I was in trouble of being found out.”
 
“What did you do?” she asked curiously as the found the demons they were looking for.
 
“I just said that humans meant nothing to me, and that I didn't care if he made Jordan kill herself.”
 
“Yusuke! That's a horrible thing to say,” she reprimanded him as they took on the demons.
 
“I know, but it threw him off-balance. I've found that most people are not at their best when they find out that they've underestimated their enemy. So I made him believe that I didn't care what happened to humans, and made him wonder what else he found out wrong about me. If he was really focusing on beating us, we would've been down for the count a long time ago.”
 
I didn't think he was this smart. I guess appearances can be deceiving. “Good thinking,” she complimented him.
 
“I guess appearances can be deceiving,” he said in reply.
 
She looked sharply at him while purifying the demons near her. Can he hear what I'm thinking? No, he can't. Just focus on defeating these demons before they can kill more villagers.
 
~*~