Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Makai ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The final chapter! Finally! It's been hard remembering to update between schoolwork, band, and college applications, but I've done it! It's the end! Read the note at the bottom; it's short and to the point.
 
Serena SilverMoon: Yusuke's developing a latent power, but he doesn't know that yet. It'll probably help him sometime later, but not right now. The girls can only smack him for it if they find out… This story's done, but I can continue it if you want me to.
 
~*~
 
Where am I? Why am I here? Serena was floating in a sea of darkness, but she wasn't blind. I used the Ginzuishou, but what happened after that? I can't remember.
 
Warm hands were lifting her up. Who is that? she wondered in annoyance. Why won't they let me sleep? Don't they know that I have to rest after I use the Silver Crystal? Just leave me alone! The hands either weren't good mind-readers, or they were just ignoring her. They were now trying to get her to drink something, but that would mean she would have to wake up. Thoroughly annoyed now, she opened her blue eyes and stared right into Hiei's red ones.
 
“It's about time you woke up,” he said, which surprised her. What is he doing here? I think something hit him on the head when he was fighting.
 
“Is there a reason you wanted me to wake up?” she asked.
 
“You need to eat.” He indicated the cup he was holding and the tray precariously balanced on his lap.
 
“I need sleep more,” she snapped crossly.
 
He laughed. It was a surprise since he normally was a serious person and rarely laughed, but it sounded good when he did. “You've been asleep for a week,” he informed her.
 
“Nani?!” she shrieked. “I have not! You're pulling my leg.”
 
He looked at her strangely. “I'm not even touching your leg, but you have been asleep for a week.”
 
“`Pulling my leg' is just an expression,” she explained. “Are you sure that I've been out for that long?”
 
“Quite,” he said. “Now eat.” He stuck the cup in front of her face, and she obediently opened her mouth.
 
“Are all the demons gone?” she asked when she finished what Hiei gave her.
 
“All the live ones. The dead ones' bones were burned with the dead ningens.” At her inquiring glance, he gave a bit of detail. “Pestilence is not something these people need.”
 
“It's not something anyone needs.”
 
“True.” They sat in companionable silence while they could. Then, inevitably, it was broken.
 
“Hiei, is she awake yet?” Yusuke's voice floated in through the door.
 
He sighed. “Yes, Detective,” he answered in a resigned voice.
 
The door was pushed back and in stepped the official Reikai Tantei. “So, how're ya feeling?” he asked her.
 
“Terrible,” she said truthfully. “Hiei woke me up before I was ready.”
 
“Don't even think about it,” Hiei warned Yusuke without looking at him.
 
The Spirit Detective put down the hand that was about to slap the side of the fire demon's head and shook his own. “Well, you did sleep for a week. Isn't that enough?”
 
She sighed. “It doesn't feel like it's enough, but it is, I guess,” she admitted. “Are we leaving now?”
 
“Yup. We were just waiting for you,” Yusuke said.
 
Okay, now we get to go home. Why does that not make me feel happy? Something's not right. A lightbulb went off in her head. The people here! Are they coming, too? They don't have any protection anymore, and most of their warriors are unable to move, much less fight. We can't abandon them. I can't.
 
Vaguely aware that she was being led to a different place, she continued her thoughts. I don't think I'll be leaving with them. These people need me too much. I'll miss home, but my feelings tell me that I'm doing the right thing.
 
“Finally! We were beginning to wonder if you'd gotten lost,” Kuwabara stated when they walked into the main building.
 
“You wish,” Yusuke retorted. “Let's just go. I'm sure Koenma wants to know what we've been up to.”
 
“Wait,” Serena called. Once she got their attention, she continued. “What will happen to these people?”
 
Yoshiro answered her. “We will survive the best we can. We have suffered a much lesser loss than the previous years, and we have you to thank for it.”
 
“But your warriors can't fight. What will happen if another demon comes calling?”
 
“Then we will deal with it the best we can,” he stated.
 
She stiffened her resolve, silently saying good-bye to her family and everything she knew. “I'm not going with you,” she announced. “I will stay here and help these people.”
 
As she thought, they didn't move, they were so shocked. Then, they all tried to change her mind at once, so no one could be understood. They all had the same question, though: “Why?”
 
“I have nothing back home, and while you guys are great, I feel like I can do more here than I ever could at home. I can protect these people with the Ginzuishou. I'm staying,” she finished firmly.
 
“Okay, fine, anyone else want to stay?” Yusuke asked sarcastically.
 
“We do.” Now everyone faced Jordan and Crystal.
 
“Now that we have a mutiny going on, why do you two want to stay?” the Reikai detective demanded.
 
“Serena will need us here,” Crystal told him. “We can help her.”
 
“Besides, with the orphanage looking for us, I think it'll be better for us to stay out of the way where they can't ever find us,” Jordan put in.
 
“And what about Michael?” Robin demanded. “How do you think he'll feel with his sisters just disappearing all of a sudden? He just found you!”
 
“Exactly. He hasn't had time to get used to the fact that he has sisters again,” Jordan said softly. “If he wants to see us, then we'll find a way to visit, but it's much better to have it this way.”
 
“Are you sure?” Shuichi, now known as Kurama to everyone there, asked.
 
She swallowed and nodded.
 
“Then there isn't much we can do,” Hiei said flatly. “It's their decision to stay, so let them stay. We have to get back.” With that, he turned his face to the door.
 
Hiei. Serena knew she hurt him, but her sense of duty was always calling her. These were her people now, and she wouldn't abandon them. She was raised as the Moon Princess, and would've been their queen in time, but that was taken from her. Now she could start over. And she wouldn't be alone; that cheered her up tremendously. She had friends to help her through.
 
“Are you sure that's what you want to do?” Yoshiro asked them. “We wouldn't want to keep you from your home.”
 
She shook her head. “No, I will stay here. I can do more good here than at home.” The other two nodded. “Will you let us stay?”
 
Yoshiro nodded, smiling broadly. “Welcome to our home,” he said, gratitude showing in his voice.
 
“I know that everyone's anxious to get home, but these people don't have homes or good water,” Cye said hesitantly. “Don't you think we should help with that before we leave?”
 
“It's not necessary,” Yoshiro protested, but the others were already agreeing with the shy British boy. Finally, he gave up. “Very well, we shall accept your assistance.”
 
They were assigned sections to do, like Cye would handle the fresh water, and Kento would rebuild the huts. Serena was with Cye. The two of them went to where a deep pit was made during the fighting.
 
“Just leave everything to me,” he said cheerfully, calling his armor to him. Pointing his yari into the pit, water appeared in front of the point and began filling it. Serena could only gape at him.
 
“How did you do that?” she asked, not quite grasping what was going on right in front of her face.
 
He laughed. “My element's water,” he explained. “I can summon water, like Robin and Ryo can summon fire. We all have an element we control.”
 
“Oh.” Her expression cleared. “That I can understand. What exactly am I supposed to do, then?”
 
“Can you create a field around it to keep it pure?”
 
“Sure.” He didn't say it didn't have to be of wind. Focusing on her core, she found what she was looking for and formed the shield.
 
“Did you do it?” he asked.
 
“Yup. It keeps germs and bacteria out, but it allows people to come and use the water,” she said proudly.
 
“Let's go see how Kento's doing with Sage and Jordan,” he suggested.
 
They walked back to the town and saw Kento hauling columns over to places in danger of dropping their roofs. “Need any help?” he called to Jordan, who was closest.
 
She looked up and grinned. “Sure. The more, the merrier, and the less work I have to do.”
 
“Good logic,” Serena said. “I can't lift one of those things by myself, so do you mind if I just help you?”
 
“Like I said, the less work I have to do. Feel free.” Serena lifted up one end while Jordan got the other. This was how the rest of the group found them.
 
~*~
 
This is what I felt. When I got that feeling that we weren't going back, this is what it meant. Crystal labored beside Ryo, dragging fallen trees back to the town where Kento, Sage, and Jordan would put them up as supports for some of the huts. It was hard work, and they were all hot and sweaty, but still they kept bringing in the supports.
 
“You okay?” her partner in gathering wood inquired.
 
“Yeah,” she smiled for his benefit, even though she felt hot and wanted nothing more than to sit in the shade. “I just wish Cye hadn't said anything quite so soon. I would've had to do this anyway, but at least there would've been a rest in between.”
 
“Hey, we're the ones that made a lot of this mess, so it's only right that we clean it up.”
 
“Well, I'm sure that I'll be glad I did it now instead of later, but at the moment, I prefer to feel sorry for myself.”
 
“Don't we all,” he laughed. “But the sooner we finish, the sooner we can rest.” His voice turned serious. “Are you absolutely sure that you want to stay here?”
 
“I'm getting tired of people asking me that question. Yes, Ryo, I'm staying. The other two might change their minds, but I won't.”
 
He lowered his head. “I'm sorry to hear that. Don't get me wrong, I think what you're doing for these people is great, but you heard the others. We can't get back to this place once we leave, and you can't go home once we're gone.” The anguish in his voice was plain.
 
“Ryo, we'll be fine,” she assured him. “You don't have to worry about us.”
 
“I can't help it,” he muttered. “It's not something I have control over.”
 
They dropped off their load and went to get more. The sounds of wildlife were comforting, signaling that all was well around them. Here, they could forget that there was even any fighting. At least, for a little while.
 
~*~
 
“Jordan?”
 
She turned at the sound of her name. “Yes, Kurama?” she asked. “Please don't ask me if I'm sure I want to do this. I've already been asked far too many times, and it's beginning to drive me insane.”
 
“Then I won't ask you, but I still want your answer.”
 
“Yes, I'm staying, and no, I'm not changing my mind. I'm sorry.”
 
He sighed heavily. “I was afraid that you'd say that. I won't be able to see you except for a few rare occasions. You do realize that, don't you?”
 
“I didn't think this relationship would last past our leaving this place, though it still is a shame. I know it won't work anymore, but it was good while it lasted. Thank you for that much, at least.”
 
“I would've been willing to spend my life with you,” he confessed. “I still would, if that's what you want.”
 
Jordan shook her head. “I can't ask that of you. You hate this place with a passion, and you'd have to leave your mother. She means more than life to you, and I won't take you away from her.”
 
He still seemed upset, but there wasn't a whole lot she could do about that. Just as he wouldn't abandon his mother, she wouldn't abandon her sister, and Crystal was all for staying here in this place.
 
“Good luck surviving in this place,” Kurama said.
 
“It won't be that bad. I mean, I don't hate this place like you do. It has its own appeal. Besides, I'll never be bored, this being the land of the man-eating demons,” she joked.
 
“Just be careful,” he cautioned. “I know this place better than you do, so I know what I'm talking about. Even the plants here are dangerous, as you saw.”
 
“Yes, I did,” she replied dryly. “Let's just head back so you can get home to Mrs. Minamino.”
 
~*~
 
Serena cautiously approached Hiei, who was sitting down, his back against the wall. He had a don't-mess-with-me-if-you-want-to-live look, and so far, it worked.
 
“Hiei?”
 
He looked up. “Is there something you needed?” he asked.
 
“I didn't mean to hurt you,” she murmured. “I never did want to hurt you. But these people…they need me. I can keep demons away from here.”
 
“It's your life to ruin,” he pointed out. “It doesn't matter to me what you do with it.”
 
“Don't kid yourself. I know you do care. I know that all too well.”
 
“Hn. That's what you think.” Hiei closed his eyes, but they flew open right after, since Serena had put her arms around his shoulders. “Wh-what are you doing?” he asked.
 
“I'm sorry. I do love you, but my sense of responsibility overrides all else. Like I said, these people need me, and I can do more for them than I ever could back home.”
 
Hiei looked thunderstruck. “Was it that obvious?”
 
“Well, you did treat me differently than you did everyone else,” she pointed out. “I will miss you, Hiei. Are you sure you won't come back?”
 
“As much as I care about you, if I come back to this place when I don't have to, I will go mad,” he said.
 
Serena lowered her head. “I'm sorry to hear that. Then I guess this means that we won't be seeing each other for a long time.”
 
“I guess so. Stay safe, and be happy with Taichi.”
 
“Taichi?”
 
He nodded. “He's had his eye on you for some time. I'll just have to admit defeat this time, and let him be with you.”
 
“You do have a kind heart, Hiei,” she said. “Most boys would either kill the rival, kill the girl, or kill both. And yet here you are, allowing us both to live, and with each other. You are a complicated person, you know? You let others think you're a cold-hearted killer, and then you do something like this.”
 
“So people tell me,” he said. “But there isn't a lot I can do about it, so I might as well let go without making too much of a racket.”
 
She smiled. “I'm glad you think like that.”
 
Hesitantly he smiled back at her. “You will be missed.”
 
She knew what he meant. “I'll miss you, too. I think it's time for you to go home now, though.” They stood and walked to the entrance gate of the town, where a crowd already was gathering.
 
~*~
 
“It's time we left this place,” Kurama said, standing close to Jordan. Turning to Yoshiro, he shook hands with him. “It's been a pleasure meeting you and your people, but we really must be getting back home.”
 
Yoshiro grinned. “I understand. We thank you for what you've done to our village, and what you still do.” He nodded at the three girls staying there. “We will never forget your kindness.”
 
“We will keep in touch,” Kurama promised. “It won't be very frequent, but we'll search for a way to come here and return safely.”
 
“Have a safe journey home.” Now that the good-byes were out of the way, Yusuke pushed the button that Koenma gave them and they all watched a portal form where the gate was.
 
I'll miss them. How will we explain this to the people at home? How will we explain it to Michael? These thoughts went through Kagome's head as she bid farewell to the people and her former housemates. “We'll miss you, and when we find a way to get messages across, we'll write.”
 
Facing the gate within the gate, they walked through, her and Robin last. As the portal sucked them in, they watched the town slowly disappear into the darkness. Then, they were across, back in the woods where they first disappeared. Before their eyes, the portal closed, preventing anyone else from coming through and going back.
 
They're really gone. She had known that, but for some reason it hadn't really hit her until just then, when the gate closed right in front of her face. They had all gotten close during their stay in Makai, and there was almost a physical ache in her heart when they set back out for home. The ones who seemed most depressed were Kurama and Ryo. I guess they gave their hearts away, and they didn't get them back before we left.
 
“Now all we have to do is let everyone at home know that we didn't die,” she said mournfully to the people around her. They split, Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Kurama going one way, while the rest of them trudged back to the Higurashi Shrine. After the incredibly long flight of stairs was out of the way, they made their way to the house, sorrow slowing them down. A shriek from the inside alerted them that they had been spotted. A small boy flung himself onto Kagome, yelling, “Kagome! You're back!”
 
“Sota,” she whispered her younger brother's name, hugging him back. “I missed you.”
 
By this time, everyone in the house came piling out, even those not supposed to be there, a.k.a. the people from the Feudal Era. They were surrounded and bombarded with questions, which they tried to answer the best they could. Out of the corner of her eye, Kagome saw Robin talking quietly with Michael, whose head was bowed and his shoulders were shaking. I know it's wrong of me, but I'm glad she's doing it so I don't have to.
 
Once all the tears and scolding (and swearing) were done, they were led into the house. “Do you know how long you've been gone?” Mia demanded once they were all sitting at the table and eating.
 
“Um, a long time?” Kento ventured.
 
“Try a WHOLE MONTH!” she thundered. Everyone cowered in their seats; who knew such a nice woman had such a huge and scary voice?
 
“We didn't mean to be gone so long,” Ryo said in a lost voice. “We had to locate the demon in order to get home, and then kill him.”
 
That concluded that conversation. Everyone went to bed, still feeling sad at the loss of three of their friends. When they got up, Mia announced that it was time to leave. “I know I didn't get much time to get to know you,” she explained, “but my school starts next week, so I need to get back.”
 
“I understand,” she said. “Maybe we can do this next summer, except I'll try not to run off into Makai.”
 
More good-byes were said, and Mia left with Yuli and the five boys that they had gotten to know so well, even if they were colder than ice when they first met. Now all that were left were the original housemates and the shard hunters.
 
“Do you think we'll see them again?” Sota asked, who had gotten close to Yuli during their stay.
 
“Yeah, I think so. I don't know when, but something tells me we'll be seeing them again,” Kagome responded.
 
“Are you okay, Oneesan?” he asked, concerned.
 
“Yeah, I'm just tired. Everyone seems to be disappearing right before my eyes. I don't know who'll be next, and it's bothering me.” Her voice was distant.
 
Inuyasha came up from behind her and put an arm around her shoulders. “I'll never disappear,” he promised her. “No matter what, I'll always be there for you.”
 
She leaned into him. “Thank you,” she whispered. Staying in that position for a moment, she realized how much she missed him and the others. “We need to get ready for when school starts,” she sighed. “Let's enjoy what time we have left of summer.” Cheers greeted that statement, and they prepared to enjoy what time was left to them. They were happy that they were back, but Crystal, Jordan, and Serena would remain in their thoughts for the rest of the summer.
 
End of Demon of Makai
 
Like it says, that's the end of this story. If you want me to continue this, let me know!
 
~Sayaka M