Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Entering Another Realm ❯ Can’t Remember ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own YYH or Inuyasha!

&&&

Can't Remember

Inuyasha jumped from tree branch to tree branch through the dense forest towards a nearby village. He hoped to find Kikyou somewhere along the way, if not, he prayed she was safely back at Kaeda's village. Inuyasha slowed his pace when burning flesh and bones reached his sensitive canine nose. Quickly registering trouble, Inuyasha set off at a quick pace towards the village not far ahead.

The hanyou landed with as much grace as he could muster in the middle of the village, covering his nose with the sleeve of his fire rat kimono. His golden eyes scanned the damaged area around him. The ground in which he stood was scorched black with fire. Human limbs littered the site with blood flowing like a rapid stream. Inuyasha felt slightly lightheaded at the strong odor of death and quickly retreated from the village.

Inuyasha quickly leapt out of the way when a harmless looking plant suddenly moved out and attempted to snap his head off as a snack. Inuyasha watched in stunned silence as the plant advanced on him again. Quickly unsheathing his rusty blade, Inuyasha transformed it into the powerful fang and cleaved the plant in two. "What the hell was that?!?!" Inuyasha demanded, sheathing his sword.

No one answered his question, much to the irritation of the hanyou. "Hm, I sense strong power from these plants." a voice mused softly behind Inuyasha. The hanyou quickly turned around to come face to face with one of his five traveling companions, Miroku.

"Keh, the plant was weak!" Inuyasha boasted, puffing up his chest slightly. Miroku shook his head, much to the dismay of Inuyasha. "Fine monk, want to fight me?" Inuyasha growled. Miroku held up his hand in defense, as well as in a sign of peace. Miroku shook his head in the negative as he set his face back into a grim expression.

"It is not the plants with the power energy, but the one who is controlling these plants. It's a powerful demon out for revenge….it wants the blood of the humans. Inuyasha, we have to hurry after that demon before it harms more innocent people!" Miroku exclaimed, looking towards Inuyasha for confirmation.

"Keh, I don't have time for this!" snorted Inuyasha. "I have to get back to Kaeda's village."

"Oh, is Lady Kagome back?" Miroku asked with renewed hope, eyes twinkling with a slight perversion to it. Inuyasha shook his head in the negative, snorting softly in addition to his action.

"I'm going to see if Kikyou is there." Inuyasha replied. "She could be in danger or injured."

"Lady Kikyou is strong." Miroku stated obviously. "The one you should be worried about is Lady Kagome. You know she is the one who needs the most protection. Woman likes to feel protected, especially by the person she loves." Miroku hinted, hoping Inuyasha would at least give Kagome a chance.

"S-She l-loves me?" Inuyasha asked in surprise, raising an eyebrow in question. Miroku solemnly nodded his head, as if saying 'did you just notice'?

&&&

Fear was instilled in human and demons alike for the next three months. Village after village was burnt to the ground, always leaving the trademark moves of the demon responsible in its place. The trademark came in the form of biting, snapping, threatening plants that seems to have a mind and will of its own. Inuyasha and Miroku tried their best to track down the mysterious demon, but they were always one step to late….

&&&

"Fumi, bring that pail of water in, NOW!" a middle aged woman yelled angrily from her spot at the entrance of the hut. The woman glared heatedly at the young raven-haired girl as she quickly ran into the hut, hands encased tightly over the handle of the pail, for fear of spilling a single drop.

"Here you go ma'am!" the girl replied, stepping back away from the glowering woman.

"Work faster next time!" growled the woman. "If my husband hadn't seen you severely injured and taken you home, you wouldn't be alive! We had to pay for your healing, your food, and your shelter! The least you can do is do something correctly!" The girl flinched back, grasping her side quickly as fresh blood oozed through her rough clothes.

"You're bleeding." a voice boomed though the hut as a middle-aged man walked in through the entrance. "I thought I told you not to move until your wounds were healed. If you really did fall from that high cliff, you shouldn't be out of bed for at least another couple of months. You were lucky you didn't die from that fall!"

The girl bit her lip, as her blue eyes darted from the man to the woman. "I-I'll go clean my wounds." This answer resulted in the approval of the man and the further rage of the woman.

"Fumi, STAY!" the woman commanded harshly, before turning towards her husband. "You're in love with the little brat, aren't you? Just because she has a young body and a slightly prettier face, you've fallen head over toes with her! When you asked my parents for my hand in marriage, you promised to love only me! I'm not like the other village woman; I will not tolerate sharing a husband!"

"Since you figured it out already, then it'll save me the trouble of saying it," the man stated calmly. "Yes, I prepare to marry Fumi." Fumi gasped in response and took an unsure step back. "It was your fault for not being able to bare me any children. I need someone to carry on the family name. Fumi will do that for me. She will give me a son, unlike you! Since everything that needs to be said is said, I prepare to ask the village elder to marry Fumi and I….the day after tomorrow!"

&&&

"I don't know." Fumi whispered to her friend as she sat under the moonlight. "I mean, I can't remember anything. Who am I? What is my real name? What happened to me? I can't answer any of these, because I can't remember. Now, I have to marry the man who saved me. There's no way I can deny him, because he saved my life…but somehow, I know this is wrong."

"Oh, Fumi." her friend whispered, as she enveloped Fumi into a warm embrace. "Maybe you were already in love….I mean…before you lost your memories. I'm sure you'll get your memories back one day. Are you sure you can't remember ANYTHING?"

"There is something." Fumi whispered softly.

"What is it?" her friend asked anxiously, eyes lighting up with unhidden curiosity. "Come on, tell me!"

"Every night when I go to bed, I would always see in my mind's eye…a pair of beautiful golden eyes and cute fuzzy ears! I don't know what it means, but it always gives me a certain feeling of warmth afterwards."

"Eh, maybe it was your pet…" her friend suggested. "I mean, what else has golden eyes and fuzzy ears? You couldn't have possibly known a youkai and felt…warm and happy around it."

"I guess you're right. Maybe it was a dog?" Fumi whispered, brushing her black hair away from her face. "It doesn't matter, I'm getting married tomorrow and there's nothing I can do to stop it, because I owe him my life."

&&&

Youko Kurama stood coldly, but proudly at the entrance to the next village. The villagers moved around happily, as if preparing for a happy event. Youko smirked sadistically, curling his claws into a fist. He licked his lips slightly as a red tinge entered his molten gold eyes.

Youko was preparing to strike the village, when a familiar sweet scent wafted to his sensitive nose. He slipped back into the shadows of a large tree and watched with confusion at the human mating ritual. It wasn't the ritual that caught his attention, but the bride. She was very young compared to the man, but her scent….

The village elder stumbled back in surprise as the villagers scrambled around in disarray as Youko landed softly in the center of their ritual. "Priestess!" the village elder yelled loudly. "Demon! DEMON!"

"What's going on?" Fumi asked in panic as a hand tugged on the sleeve of her wedding garments.

"Hurry, lets get out of here." her best friend cried out. "A demon!"

"I can't see." hissed Fumi, ripping the veil from her face.

"Demon, be gone!" the priestess stated, firing an arrow toward Youko. Youko caught the insignificant arrow and easily snapped it in two. The villagers' eyes widened with terror as Youko materialized a throne whip from his red rose. With a quick movement, a couple of humans laid in pieces on the ground.

Youko turned his attention to the priestess, when a voice rang out. "STOP!"

"What are you doing?" Fumi's friend hissed at her. "Quit drawing his attention to us!" Fumi's husband-to-be foolishly moved in front of her.

"L-l-leave m-m-my w-w-wife alo-alone." he stuttered.

"Wife?" Youko spat distastefully, moving his hand to dispose the world of the annoying human. Youko quickly caught himself with Fumi stood bravely in front of the man she was going to marry.

"Leave him alone!" Fumi cried, as her friend nibbled on her nails in fear.

"Stop…" Fumi's friend and husband-to-be hissed.

"K-Kagome…" Youko whispered softly.

"Ka-gome?" Fumi whispered softly. "Is that….your name?"

&&&

Please read and review!