Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Entering Another Realm ❯ Explanations ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:  I don't own YYH or Inuyasha!

 

&&&

 

Explanations

          &nb sp; "Can you guys stop crying?" asked Kagome, only to shrink back a split second later when Yusuke directed his brown eyes at her - filled with anger and loathing. "I mean, if you drown all of us, I really won't be able to save Shuichi." Yusuke and Kuwabara gave her incredulous looks, almost silently asking if she wanted to fool them again with her lies. "If you two don't believe me, then you should at least believe your friend." she answered, tilting her head towards Hiei.

            A few seconds elapsed in silence. "Hn, she speaks the truth." Hiei finally agreed.

            "HOW?!? HE'S DEAD!" Yusuke screeched, nearly pulling out his hair in frustration. "You're not going to tell me you can resurrect the dead, are you?" he sneered, his anger flaring.

            "Now that you mention it…" Kagome trailed off.

            "You can?" Kuwabara asked; his eyes as wide as his fists.

            "No," Kagome grinned.

            "STOP PLAYING WITH US!" Yusuke yelled. By now, they had attracted quite a large crowd, consisting mainly of nurses and doctors.

            "Hush," she hissed, "I can't, but Sesshoumaru can. However, he wouldn't save any humans other than Rin even if his life depended on it…so he's out of the equation." Noticing the tightening of Yusuke's jaw, Kagome hurriedly added. "Anyway, my original plan was to test a theory. Now that Shuichi's death has proved my theory correct, I can stop him from dying in the first place."

            "And what would that be?"

            "Call that child of yours ("He's not MY kid!" Yusuke growled) after we leave this hospital. Too many people are watching and listening." Grabbing Youko's hand, Kagome led him out of the hospital with the spirit detectives in tow. Finding a secluded area behind the hospital, out of everyone's hearing range, Yusuke called Koenma on his communicator.

            "What is it Yusuke?" Koenma asked, yawning.

            "Shuichi died." he answered.

            "WHAT?!?"

            "The girl wants to talk to you." Yusuke roughly chucked the communicator at Kagome, hoping it would make impact. Youko intercepted the object by snatching it out of the air just before it made impact with the girl's forehead. The kitsune growled, his eyes flashing a dangerous golden, bordering on red. Yusuke defiantly glared back.

            "Hey sweetie," Kagome greeted, "you're such a cute, little kid. Anyway, back to matters on hand. I remember you said something about being able to turn back the time. How far can you turn it back?"

"About a year or so, however, I can only do this once. Because once I do, the item that allows me to do this will explode. Why did you want to know that?"

"Will the people who travel back in time have the memory before the time was turned?" she countered with a question of her own.

"According to my research, it says yes."

"All right, I want you to turn back the time when I say so. If you're going to ask why, it's because a year ago, I hadn't met Youko yet. However, this does not mean I'm going to let history run its original course. I'm still going to go find Youko, but the death of the humans (which caused the disappearance of the people here because of the death of their ancestors) and Shuichi will be prevented.

"Why should I do that when it would be easier to just send Yusuke and the others back and make history run its original course?" Koenma asked, crossing his arms across his chest - feeling extremely smart for coming up with such a great answer in so short of a time.

"Because you will benefit from my suggestion." answered Kagome. This gained everyone's attention, even Youko's. "Because this time, Youko is going to rule all of Makai - he has the power."

"WHAT?" Youko asked, looking at Kagome as if she had just suddenly sprouted wings.

Ignoring Youko, Kagome continued. "You see, if you don't agree, Youko still has the power to wipe out your spirit detectives and Ningenkai.  I'm only suggesting this because I'm actually pretty fond of my race and my family. On the other hand, if you agree, Makai and Rekai can stand on peaceful terms. Demons running into Ningenkai will have a smaller chance at success too."

Koenma scrunched his forehead in thought, biting his lips in agitation. Finally, he asked, "How is this going to save Shuichi? Without Youko, he will die."

"No, he won't." This time, Youko answered. "I think I'm beginning to understand where Kagome is going with this." Kagome smiled brightly at the kitsune, who returned the affection with a grin. "The only reason the human is dying because he has suffered injuries a human should not have been able to sustain. Without my power, he dies."

"So if Youko never died in the first place, he wouldn't have…merged with Shuichi. Therefore, Shuichi will just be human - he'll live a normal life - you wouldn't enroll him to be a spirit detective because he wouldn't have the power."

"No, no, no - this doesn't make sense!" Koenma argued. "If this is as you say, then why did Shuichi die now? After all, Youko didn't die, didn't merge with him, and Shuichi should be human…"

"Think!" Youko growled, annoyed by spirit ruler's lack of understanding.

"Shuichi is human, or haven't you noticed?" Kagome snorted. "Let's put it this way. Where are his parents?"

"His father died and his mother disappeared…"

"Exactly, Youko killed Shuichi's ancestors during his rampage. That's why he was weakened to the state of having to enter the hospital. The Youko within him was sustaining his life - as little as it was. But, when Youko and I came here, the Youko within Shuichi vanished. Why? That's because you can't have two of the same people in the same place at the same time - as proven by Shuichi's death."

"So if I stay at Makai, Shuichi would probably have a much safer and happier life." concluded Youko. "Nothing much would have changed, except I get…" he trailed off as he eyed Kagome with a strange glint.

Stepping out of Youko's reach, Kagome continued. "Do you understand now? If you still have objections to my flawless plan, then, I'll have to resort to…"

"I agree," Koenma interrupted. "However, without the inhuman Shuichi, other problems will arise. For example, Hiei wouldn't be able to steal the artifacts - therefore taking him out of the spirit detectives."

"Hn, I think I would like that." Hiei grinned, an eerie glow in his red eyes.

"Plus, we need his help with the four saint beasts and the Dark Tournament." Koenma continued after a slight pause. "If it was bad before, without the help of Shuichi and Hiei, it will be impossible."

"Actually, the solution's simple. Youko will take their place." Kagome answered simply.

"I would appreciate it if you told me what you want me to do beforehand before promising it to someone else." the kitsune interrupted, an expressionless façade replacing his cheerful demeanor.

"Then again, maybe I'll take Hiei and Shuichi's place." Koenma lifted an eyebrow, doubting Kagome's abilities. "Excuse me, but I'm NOT useless! If you didn't know, I'm a miko - I'll purify the whole tournament if I have too! Hey, don't give me that look! Just don't worry your little head over this; everything will turn out fine, if not better."

"All right, I'll trust you two. When do you want to begin?"

"As soon as possible - preferably tomorrow morning." answered Kagome, looking towards Youko for confirmation. He nodded his consent and Koenma heaved a sigh of relief. "Great, this way, I'll be able to see Sango and Shippo again…I wonder what happened to them…I haven't seen them at all when I was there last time. But this time, turning back the time will ensure me to see them." Kagome thought to herself, brining an unbidden smile to her lips.

"I'm lost." Kuwabara stated, furiously blinking his eyes.

"With you there." added Yusuke.

"Trust them, I don't sense any lies from them." placated Hiei, taking up residence in a tree.

"Ready?" Kagome asked, looking at Youko. "We're going to shock Kuronue out of his wits."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" he asked.

"Of course."

 

&&&

 

            Somewhere in Makai, Kuronue felt a cold chill run up his spine as he picked up a new parchment. He brushed off the feeling and dove into his work as temporary lord over the lands that belonged to Youko. Halfway through the stack, he slammed his fist into the table, cracking it in two. Standing up, he kicked the scrolls, scattering them across the floor. "I QUIT!" he yelled. "Ow," he groaned when he pulled a muscle. "Damn, I've been sitting here for a week…"

 

&&&

 

TBC~

One or two more chapters (depending on the length) and this story will be completed! (About time too…it's been dragging on for over a year).