Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Golden Gaze ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Golden Gaze:

by

Goijh

Author's note: Here it is! The chapter that I promised would be out today!

Hope you enjoy!

___________________________________________________________

====================================================

Chapter Thirteen

____________________________________________________________

=====================================================

He could feel his eyes on him.

That golden gaze boring holes into his figure. He could practially cut the tension in the air with Tetsusaiga. A barely perceptible smirk played on the corners of his mouth.

So the fox was finally beginning to get frustrated. Well it was about damn time!

Inuyasha kept his eyes clenched shit and his arms stubbornly folded across his chest. The only part of him moving was his velvet pair of ears as they twitched in response to each sound the forest made.

Or rather that a certain silver kitsune made.

Six hours had passed since Inuyasha had taken refude in the highest branches of the Goshinboku. Whether he was actually trying to hide from the stalker fox or just avoid the ever constant inquiring glances from his friends he wasn't sure. Pride forced him to lean towards the latter when less then ten minutes after settling himself on his favorite branch he had felt the growingly familiar eyes on him.

It was then that he had decided that if the youkai was going to insist on stalking him, then Inuyasha would give him something to watch.

Aside from his ears, the hanyou had not moved a muscle for that last six hours.

With mounting satisfaction he had sat there like a statue, taking unabashed pleasure in the increasing amount of frustration he felt through the ever present stare. Then, about half and hour ago, the fox had cracked. Or at least that was the only plausible explanation Inuyasha could come ip with when branches had spontaneously started to crack every few seconds, causing a sensitive ear to twitch in that direction.

But Youko didn't stop there. Soon he was dancing around the Goshinboku in clumsy circles- stomping on dead branches, kicking dried leaves, snapping twigs from trees. In short he was making as much noise as possible in varied locations so that every sound caused at least one of Inuyasha's ears to turn.

At first the fox's lack of maturity had been amusing.

Then it was slightly irritating.

Now it was down right annoying.

But Inuyasha refused to give in to the kitsune's torture. He wasn't going to move a muscle.

Not one.

SNAP!

The hanyous's ear twitched in the direction of the noise. This one was slightly closer and therefore louder then the others. The inu valiantly resisted the urge to cover his ears to make them stop moving. If this continued much longer than the muscles would cramp up and THAT is NEVER a pleasant sensation.

SNAP!

'Dammit!' Inuyasha cursed to himself as the muscle under his ear painfully contracted. 'Great! Now I have a cramp and its all that DAMN FOX'S FAULT!'

SNAP!

The hanyou couldn't take it. No demon could last longer under this type of torture. Without another moment's hesitation Inuyasha lept from his perch, barely giving his feet time to register their contact with the ground before he was off, racing through the forest with one hand firmly massaging the base of his ear.

He only hoped that his sudden movement after such a prolonged period of inactivity startled Youko into hesitation. the inu didn't care though as he fled to the haven of the village.

He went slightly out of his way to avoid the clearing with the bnone eater's well. He wasn't sure if he could resist the temptation the well presented him :solitude in Kagome's time. A place where ramen abounded in wondrous varieties and annoying silver foxes didn't exist.

But if Inuyasha went down the well, Youko would discover that the hanyou could work its magic as well. That was a secret that Inuyasha wasn't willing to share. So instead the inu made his way to the village.

Or more specifically - Kaede's hut.

Throwing aside the blanket that served as a door, Inuyasha plunged into the hut. A quick scan with his amber orbs told him that no one was there.

Finally, solitude.

"Inuyasha?"

Or almost.

The hanyou looked toward the corner behind him, one he had forgotten to check, to find the owner of the voice. Shippo laid curled in the corner, wiping the last of sleep from one aqua eye as he watched Inuyasha curiously with the other.

'Shippo!'

The hanyou's eyes lit up as suddenly he was struck with a brilliant plan.

______________________________________________________________< /div>

=======================================================

Youko could feel his lips curling back into a menancing snarl. Fangs glinted in the filtered forest light. The kitsune's molten gold eyes narrowed as they glared at their target.

A village hut.

The damn hanyou had spent the entire morning just sitting in a tree. For the first few hours, Youko had endured, refusing to look away for even the smallest secong lest the half breed notice and stray from his sight.

But Youko was a kitsune: mischievious, playful, restless, and proud by nature. No way in hell was he going to lose this 'game' to a mutt.

Yet after a few more hours of doing absolutely NOTHING! Kurama had snapped.

Or rather, a branch had.

SNAP!

The noise was inspiration in its purest form, as in correspondance to the noise, Youko's ear flinched.

But he wasn't the only one to react. The hanyou's dog ears did too! Youko almost let out a triumphant bark as he realized what this meant: He was going to win.

And so, for the next half hour or so had had danced around in circles making as much of a disturbance as he could. The inu remained stubbornly still, but Kurama knew it wouldn't be long.

He and the hanyou shared a similar trait, their animal like ears. Youko knew from experience that the muscles at the base of the ears would cramp if caused to turn too much at a variety of angles. So cause the hanyou's ears to flinch and twist he did.

Those cramps hurt like hell!

Youko watched in morbid anticipation for the moment of victory. He knew it was almost at hand, the half breed wouldn't be able to hold out much longer.

Suddenly, in a blur of red and silver flickering through the trees, the mutt was gone.

Youko hesitated. He knew he hesitated and it pissed him off! He didn't stall long though. Less than a second later he was off, pursuing his target in a growing rage.

The cowardly mutt had run straight to the village with his tail between his legs, hidin gin the hut of the old miko. Youko laid in wait at the forest's edge. If he went any closer to the village in daylight a villager would be sure to spot him. Unnecessary panic would ensue and in the midst of that chaos, his prey would be able to slip away.

That could NOT happen!

If the inu got away then Youko would never learn the secret of the ancient well. If he kept constant vigil on the hanyou however, then he was sure to learn something.

Or at least he would sooner or later run across Kagome again.

Youko reverted to his animal form and pawed at the dirt restlessly. The wind had changed direction. He could no longer smell the mutt. He knew he was there though. There was only one exit from the miko's hut and he was watching it.

Youko sat, one of his back paws coming up to scratch behind his ear. One eye closed in pleasure at the satisfying sensation but the other remained wide open, unblinking on the hut.

A white maned head peeked out from the door frame. Faster than someone could blink Youko was up and alert, already morphing to his humanoid form once again.

Hesitantly the figure crept out of the baba's shelter. Its hands adjusting its haori in the back. Youko cocked his head curiously to the side. The mutt sure was acting a bit peculiar.

Suddenly, without the slightest bit of warning, the hanyou took off running south, away from the village and the forest. That meant that in order to pursue, Kurama would have to leave the shelter of the trees. Snarling while mentally vowing to get the mutt back, the fox demon wasted not another minute before giving chase.

Villagers working in the rice patties dropped the tools they had been using to scream as Youpko raced past after the half breed. Ningens began running about in widespread disarray, fleeing to their huts, calling to arms, and gathering the children as they prepared for what that assumed was a demon raid.

Youko rolled his eyes as he sped by them. 'Baka ningens. So much for no panic.'

Oh well, the disorder the villagers caused now was of no mind to him. He had his prey right ahead of him. The kitsune focused his attention back on his quarry. The mutt was making for the forest on the far side of the village. His hands still kept coming back to adjust something under his haori. And he wasn't even running as fast as he could.

What the hell was going on here?!

It was almost like the inu was trying to distract him, but from what? Was it something to do with the well?

Before Kurama could ponder this further, the wind changed direction once again, this time blowing towards him. And the scent the assaulted his senses was NOT the scent of the half breed.

Youko's eyes widened in something akin to horror. The mutt had deceived him! Moving as if mechanically the kitsune sped up and pounced, soaring through the air until he collided with the hanyou's body, effectively tackling it.

There was no sense in returning to the village now. With the time wasted on the chase, and then on the return trip...No doubt inu was long gone.

Youko returned his attention to the matter at hand. What demon was so cocky, so audacious, as to assume he could deceive the legendary bandit and get away with it?

Kurama looked down. His prey was face first in the dirt, its body straddled and held by his own. But now he saw why it, whoever it was, had kept adjusting the hanyou's haori. A rusty colored bushy tail was now protruding from beneath.

A fox's tail.

Or more specifically, a kit's.

Great. Now Youko couldn't even take his frustrations out on it. Just wonderful. Golden orbs were cold and calculating as Kurama rose to his feet, brusquely brushing off the dirt from his garments while continuing to glare at the hanyou's body, which was now trembling in anticipation of attack.

"Okay kit, show yourself. I'm not going to hurt you." The silver fox all but snarled. Slowly the mutt's body began to shrink and transform before his very eyes. Oh yes, the mutt was DEFINATELY going to pay.

_______________________________________________________________ __

==========================================================

Inuyash acould hear the frantic cries of the villagers.

'Good. So the yarou kitsune if following Shippo.' he thought as he all but strutted arrogantly out of the hut and into the mass confusion. His white kimono was brilliant in the afternoon sun as he began to run toward the well. He had given Shippo his fire rat haori to wear to conceal his tail and then sent the pup off the distract the silver fox.

The hanyou knew that Shippo'd be fine. A kitsune would NEVER kill or harm young of its own kind. Especially not an orphan like Shippo. And because the kitunse and question just happened to be a male, he would be unlikely to even consider caring for Shippo and would allow him to return unscathed to the village.

The bone eater's well was just ahead. Inuyasha wasted no time as he covered the remaining distance and leapt into the well's inky depths.

A few seconds later and a blue flash illuminated the well as ancient magics engulfed Inuyasha and carried him through limbo, to the future.

_______________________________________________________________ ___

===========================================================

Hiei waited impatiently in a tree just barely on Sarayashiki's campus. the ningen school had just finished and he, Kurama, Kuwabaka, and Yusuke were supposed to meet Botan here. The fire demon scowled. He really didn't feel like dealing with dim wits and perky blue haired ferry girls at the moment, but his refusal to do so would violate his probation.

He just wasn't looking forward to a couple centuries or so in makai prison.

And besides, he needed to speak with Kurama. Hiei had a nagging feeling in the back of his head that something wasn't right.

A bird was sitting on its nest in a nearby branch. The soft cooing noises it was making for its eggs were beginning to get on the koorime's nerves. If the others didn't get out here soon he might be tempted to knock the bird out of the tree to make it shutup.

Fate seemed to be smiling on the oblivious winged creature. Just as the prospect of assisting the bird in a rapid flight to the ground was beginning to look interesting, Hiei felt familiar spirit energy approaching. Faster than the naked eye could follow the jaganashi was out of the tree and on the ground along side his ningen companions. But not before startling the bird with an impressive imitation of a cat's hiss.

"Hey Hiei, I was wondering when you were going to show up." Yusuke greeted the petit demon with a crooked grin.

"Hn."

Scowling Hiei fell back to pace with Kurama, who was walking a bit slower than the rest of the group. The fire demon's crimson eyes remained stubbornly ahead, refusing to look at his friend as he awaited the customary greeting.

Silence.

Startled, Hiei's pace almost faltered as he glanced at the fox out of the corner of his eye. Kurama didn't seem to notice the little fire demon as he continued to walk slowly forward, eyes unfocused as if he was lost in thought.

Hiei almost dropped his 'piss off' facade in favor of surprised concern at this. Suuichi was always alert. And even when he was slightly off he never failed to notice the jaganashi.

Was it those dreams?

Whatever it was, Hiei couldn't help the slight feeling of rejection that was creeping up on him. Quickly he pushed it aside. This once, he would instigate the conversation.

'You're being careless fox.' Hiei stated coldly through a telepathic link. Out of the corner of his eye he watched, gauging the scarlet haired young man's reaction.

Kurama tensed a little at first, his back going rigid and shoulders stiffening in obvious surprise at the sudden interruption to his thoughts. His head spun to face Hiei, as if alarmed by the demon's 'sudden' appearance, emerald eyes uncharacteristicly wide and questioning as they fell upon the koorime.

Being a true kitsune youkai, no matter that he was trapped within a mortal body, Suuichi quickly recovered. If one had not known him, and in fact had Hiei not been carefully paying attention and looking for such a reaction, one would not have noticed the lapse in his demure demeanor as he seamlessly slipped back into it.

"Hello Hiei." Kurama greeted him quietly, aloud so as not to draw attention from the others. A gentle smile flickered across his face, appearing to reach his eyes. But the koorime was no idiot to be fooled with a 'hello' and friendly gesture. More skilled at reading people than perhaps anyone would ever know, Hiei could still see the anxiety swirling in his friends forest depths.

Thus, the jaganshi said nothing. He only frowned and arched a brow. Something was wrong. Something was bothering Kurama, distracting him. If they were called on a mission at that very moment, the fox's life would be in danger due to his current inability to pay heed to his surroundings. Crimson clashed stubbornly with emerald as Hiei silently demanded an answer.

Not one to get into a battle of wills, and most likely already well aware that the koorime would win anyway, Kurama quickly relented, though he did not falter his gaze. "Can't this wait?" He pleaded in a hushed tone, his eyes darting ahead to their ningen companions already waiting for them under the designated tree.

Hiei's jagan eye tingled as he began to pick up on a new energy. Shooting Kurama one last cold glare out of the corner of his eye, he turned, tucking his hands into his pockets and walked over to within a few feet from the tree. Understanding that this was a temporary relent, but that Hiei would demand a full explanation as soon as business was done, Suuichi sighed in half relief.

A picture of cheerful blue eyes and raven hair flashed through his mind as he turned to follow Hiei, just as Boton was emerging from a portal.

Kagome...

The dreams were real...

____________________________________________________________

======================================================

Kagome stared hesitantly at the well house.

The wooden structure was normally a little intimidating, but now it was just downright forboding. The darkness that lay beyond the door seemed to be straining to break free of the shadows and swallow her up.

But that was nothing to what the miko knew that she would find on the other side of the well. Amber eyes would flash in anger, fangs glint in the sunlight as angry mouths opened, words of protest and hurtful resistance flowing from their jaws. She could see Inuyasha's enraged silhouette as he argued with her, telling her over and over again varied forms of, "No." give or take a few curses.

Then she would sit the hanyou and come running back to her time. She would have the night and maybe the next morning to herself, but then in the afternoon Inuyasha would be back to drag her back to the feudal era. And if that happened Kagome wasn't sure if she would really resist.

Truth be told she disliked Sarayashiki High. Many of the students were just appalling, and some of the teachers worse. The miko could certainly see how the school had gotten its soiled reputation. There were some kind people there though...like Keiko, and her boyfriend of sorts Yusuke. Oh, and their mutual friend Suuichi.

For a moment a picture of a scarlet haloed young man with intense golden eyes flashed through Kagome's head. Wait, something wasn't right with that. Suuichi had emerald eyes, not golden. Didn't he? The more Kagome thought about it, the harder it became to seperate the colors in her mind. For some reason it was just so easy to see Suuichi with those beautiful golden eyes, and silver flowing hair...Something about the highschool boy just made the miko think of Youko Kurama.

Maybe it was the fact that they both had such deep seductive voices.

Or refined, almost beautiful yet entirely masculine, looks.

Or it could be that fact that Yusuke had called Suuichi Kurama by his locker this morning.

Suddenly a tingling sensation in the back of her mind roused Kagome from her confusing thoughts. The well's magic was being activated. Curious, and at the same time almost dreading to see who it was, Kagome stepped through the door to the shed and cautiously leaning over, peered over the edge of the well.

A moment later there was a brilliant flash of blue and Kagome was forced to close her eyes. When she opened them again she was face to chest with something red and baggy.

Inuyasha's haori.

Audibly gulping she quickly backed away. Her heart was racing a little from the surprise of suddenly seeing Inuyasha like that and she put one hand over her chest as if to calm it.

"Oi, wench. We need to talk."

So much for calming her pulse. Inuyasha's uncharacteristic words shocked Kagome even more than his sudden appearance. Bewildered her eyes darted up to meet his own. His amber orbs were completely serious. Something about his entire demeanor screamed that he was irritated about something. Yet the miko could swear that she could see a bit of a smirk playing at the corners of his lips.

Nodding mutely Kagome stepped aside and motioned for the hanyou to lead to way. Inuyasha walked past her, his body coming close enough to just barely brush against her arm as he went by. Kagome followed him as he walked over towards her house, but right before he got there, the hanyou detoured and instead went to the Goshinboku, hopping onto his favorite branch before the miko could utter a sound.

Inuyasha couldn't help but smile a little as he settled onto the tree limb. It really hadn't changed that much in 500 years. And here he could sit comfortably without having to worry about stupid kitsune's spying on him. But if the fox was still back in the feudal era, then why did Inuyasha still feel like he was being watched?

Confused, and growing extremely annoyed, Inuyasha looked down over his shoulder. His eyes were met with an irritated miko, tapping her foor impatiently on the ground.

"How are we supposed to talk Inuyasha if you're way up there?" She demanded, hands on her hips. Inuyasha resisted the urge to smack himself on the head. He had been so content to just finally have some peace and quiet...and then when he saw the Goshinboku...and his favorite branch... He had just momentarily forgotten that he had wanted to talk to Kagome.

Without a word he leapt off of the branch, landing gracefully next to the miko. She opened her mouth as if to say something to him, but quickly shut it when without warning Inuyasha wrapped his arms firmly around her waist, pulling her close to him, and jumped back into the tree.

Shocked, Kagome could only dumbly cooperate as Inuyasha set her down on the branch so that she was safely straddling it and would not fall. Even so, his clawed hands remained a moment longer on her arms, making sure that she was back to her senses before he let go so that there was no risk of her falling.

Kagome's mind slowly cleared, the fog clearing from her vision. For a moment she wished that it hadn't though when she saw how high up she was in the tree. Sure Inuyasha went higher when she was riding on his back sometimes, but then she was always holding onto him and him to her. That had always given her a sense of security. The tree branch just wasn't working at the moment though.

As if sensing her fear, Inuyasha leaned forward and looked her in the eye. Without thinking Kagome's own orbs darted down to the ground, then to the branch, then to him. It wasn't much but it was enough to make Inuyasha see that she was nervous about being up in such heights. His protective youkai nature kicked in and without thinking he pulled her over to him so that she was all but straddling his lap. His arms wrapped protectively around her lower back, steadying her.

They sat their for a moment, both completely dumbstruck by what the hanyou had just done. Slowly their eyes met and simultaneously they both blushed and looked away. Kagome began to squirm ever so slightly, as if to try to escape him and brave the branch. Unknowingly though she was gently grinding against the equally embarressed hanyou, causing delightful sensations to coarse through his body. Resisting the urge to shudder Inuyasha did the first thing that he could think of in order to stop Kagome's movements.

"Stop all your squirming wench if you don't want to fall."

His words had the desired effect as Kagome went deathly still, obviously finding the prospect of falling VERY unappealing.

"Okay, what do you want to talk about Inuyasha?" She demanded, turning to face him once again, the blush still faintly staining her cheeks as she battled valiantly against it, crossing her arms across her chest.

"That damn fox is hanging around the village, stalking me, and I think it has something to do with you." Inuyasha blurted out. He always did have a way with words.

"Youko?" Kagome asked in almost disbelief. Youko was still hanging around. Kagome couldn't help but feel a little pleased that he was so interested in her.

'Interested in you or the jewel shards?' A little voice reminded her, putting a damper on her hopes.

"Whatever the hell that damn fox's name is. He won't leave me the hell alone and I'm sick of it." Inuyasha grip around Kagome's waist was getting a little tighter as he got angrier at just the thought of the thief.

"Hm..I would have thought he would have left by now." Kagome mused aloud. Inuyasha's amber eyes immediately darted to her, demanding an explanation. Kagome blushed a little more and began to fidget a bit again.

"Well I don't think that he's interested in the Shikon shards. After all he's more than capable of taking them without my notice. He's proved it. But he's always given them right back." Kagome's voice faded off, but her mind continued. 'Could it be that he's actually attracted to me?' A thrill of excitement went through her at the thought and she had to fight against the herself to keep from trailing her fingers over her lips as she remebered her first kiss.

Inuyasha seemed to realize what was going on in her head too for his eyes darkened and his ears drooped a little. Kagome didn't notice.

"Kagome." Inuyashe murmured softly. The miko immediately looked up, concerned, when she heard him say her name.

"I think that he might be able to travel through the well." Inuyasha told her. It was obvious by the look on her face that she wanted him to continue. So Inuyasha explained to her what had had happened since she had gone through the well: through the fight to the well's reaction to the Youko, and even about the little 'game' that morning.

When he was done he waited patiently for once in his life for Kagome's response. The miko was lost in thought. If Youko could get a reaction like that out of the well, then who else could? Was it possible that others could travel through the well? Or was it because of the shard that Youko possessed?

Kagome had no idea what to say. Secretly she was flattered by the fact that Kurama was still hanging around back in the feudal era, waiting for her. At the same time she was annoyed by his behaviour - deliberately provoking Inuyasha and getting into fights with him.

Realizing that Kagome wasn't going to say anything, Inuyasha decided to speak. His mouth opened, but then closed again. He was hesitant to say what he was going to, worried about what Kagome's reaction would be. Finally he bit his tongue and decided to just come out with it.

"I'm going to stay in your time with you until you go back. When we get back to feudal era you can talk to the fox. Tell him that if he's going to continue like this I'll slice him open with Tetsusaiga."

Kagome glanced up at Inuyasha, once again surprised. Normally he never gave her an option like this. When it came to demons like Kouga, Inuyasha never asked her opinion, he would just go into angry- kill-the-demon-that's-talking -to-Kagome mode.

"Wait. You're going to stay here?" She asked bewildered. He wasn't going to try to make her go back with him?

Inuyasha nodded, tensing in preparation for the verbal attack he was expecting to follow. Kagome however just sat there quietly and looked pensive. "Well I suppose that's a good thing considering your human night is in a couple days.That way you can rest safely."

Inuyasha looked at her in bemusement for a moment, calculating the time in his head. She was rught. The new moon was coming up and he had completely forgotten about it.

"Ugh! MOM!" A young boy's voice broke the young adults out of their individual thoughts as their heads snapped to the side to see Souta grimacing on the ground below them. "Kagome and Inuyasha are doing something in the tree together!"

Kagome, fully understanding the implement of her kid brother's words blushed red from the roots of her hair to her toes. Inuyasha on the other hand, didn't understand exactly what the boy was talking about.

"So kid?" He asked, genuinely curious to know what was wrong with doing something with Kagome in the tree. He quickly realized just 'what' everyone had been talking about though when Kagome shot him a scandalized glare and Souta stared at his hero with childish disgust. Inuyasha's eyes widened and in less then a second he was down on the ground.

Unfortuantely to descent had been so sudden and rapid that Kagome had clung to him for her life, wrapping her legs around his waist, only making the situation worse. Souta couldn't believe his eyes as he watched his hero struggle for words, amber eyes darting between the boy, his sister, and the tree. Shaking his head in disappointment the young boy turned and just walked away.

That was the problem with all these heroes. They always had to fall in love with someone's older sister. ::sigh::

Kagome had jumped off of Inuyasha the moment she realized the picture that they painted. Quietly they both watched the disheartened Souta walk away toward the house. Suddenly, struck by the absurdity of the moment, Kagome burst out laughing. Inuyasha looked at her for a moment incerdulously, but it seemed the miko's laughter was contagious for he too was laughing more carefree than he had in a while.

Still laughing the two made their way into the Higurashi house, unaware of the malignant eyes that watched them from the shadows.

__________________________________________________________

====================================================

After Boton had departed, along with the ningens, Hiei had followed Kurama to his home. There he had made the kitsune explain everything to him, starting with his most recent dreams and going on through seeing the girl at school. Though it had not shown on the koorime's face, Hiei was greatly disturbed by Kurama's tale.

Obviously someone knew about Kurama's past, about Youko. Now they were hunting after the human Suuichi, drawing closer and closer. The only explanation Hiei could think of was that this Kagome was either a bounty hunter or a slayer of some sorts. For Kurama's descriptions however she definately didn't fit the personna of the former.

Therefore she had to be some sort of slayer after the legendary fox demon. And she was a miko on top of it.

Kurama hadn't seemed to notice the steely glint that shadowed his friend's crimson eyes as he bade Hiei farewell and went down to eat dinner with his mother, Shiori. He hadn't realized the jaganshi was using his implanted eye already to scan for miko powers in the city.

He had been too distracted by that fact that the girl from his dreams existed.

No doubt the miko's doing.

It hadn't taken long to locate the purifying energy. There was an amazing amount of it coming coming from a shrine area not too far from the ningen school. It was the perfect place for a slayer to lay in wait for her prey.

Wasting no time at all, Hiei had raced across the city, leaping gracefully from rooftop to rooftop at speeds unachievable to man. Within no time he was perched on a branch just outside the door to the shrine grounds. A plate on the frame read, "Higurashi". Kurama had said that was the girl's last name.

It was all fitting.

Without a moment's more hesitation Hiei had leapt over the wall, into the courtyard of sorts. Sticking to the shadows that hid him so well he scanned the grounds.

Care free laughter reached his ears.

Hiei snuck closer. His jagan eye was picking up on some extremely powerful youki. He cursed the wind under his breath, it was blowing downwind so his enhanced sense of smell was rendered practically useless. He could mask his scent quite well though so he was sure that he was undetected.

The koorime crept closer, inching along the wall of a wooden house. Slowly he peered around the corner.

Shock.

That was the only word to describe what Hiei felt as his eyes fell upon the two figures walking across the yard towards the house. One of them was indeed the miko, an attractive ningen girl. But the other...Was an inu hanyou.

A demon was loose from makai.

Quickly Hiei scanned over the other demon. Dog ears, baggy red haori and hakama in an ancient style, demon blade at his hip emanating dangerously high amounts of powerful energy. Crimson eyes narrowed visciously as the two walked through the door, entering the house.

The hanyou complicated things.

But no matter.

Hiei's hand lingered on his katana on his hip for a moment as he once again scanned the shrine grounds for anything. Then, quietly as he had come he departed.

He would be back.

He would inform Koenma that an inu hanyou was lose from makai and then he would begin to gather information on this Kagome Higurashi.

If she was any threat to Kurama, she would die.

____________________________________________________________

======================================================

Oooh! The conflicts brewing between Hiei and Kagome.

What will happen next chapter?

I'll give you a little preview (because, yay for you, I already started writing it!)

Chapter Fourteen:

Kagome glanced over her shoulder for what had to be the tenth time since she had left school...she couldn't help but feel that she was being followed...

...But what could someone have to gain from capturing Kurama?

...It hadn't been hard to find her...

FYI: Some of the parts of chapter fourteen may change. I had started writing it before I added the last scene into chapter thirteen, so some of the details need to be changed. But that's okay!

REMEBER TO REVIEW PLEASE!