Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Intergalactic Treaty ❯ Amiss ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Inuyasha: A month Belle! It's been a month!

~Belle: Yeah, so?

~Inuyasha: So! What took you so long?

~Belle: I've been busy, just be grateful that I updated!

~Youko: I am grateful, Belle.

~Belle: (*blushes*) Of course you are, you are a complete gentleman.

~Inuyasha: Keh.

R&R!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The three Earthlings left Inuyasha's company and headed towards their living quarters. They all felt slightly uneasy. They were alone on a space station with only representatives from Planet Youkai and their Captain was AWOL.

"Do you think we should go in search of Captain Kaede?" Kagome asked her two fellows after she flopped down upon Sango's bed and crossed her arms behind her head to rest upon.

"I'm sure she'll find us in the morning, Kagome-chan." Sango told her while she leaned against the room wall and idly fingered the golden pennant she wore around her neck of an exterminator boomerang.

Miroku glanced at the two women. "I think that perhaps we should find her tonight. I want answers about why the representatives consist sole of us and those youkai. I find it very suspicious."

"Let's just wait until the morning. Now get out of my room so I can go to sleep!" Sango told the two while roughly pulling Kagome's arm and Miroku's hair and throwing them out of her room and slamming the door in their faces.

Kagome and Miroku rubbed their sore areas and glared at the door before focusing on each other.

"I respect you even more for putting up with her Miroku." Kagome winked at him.

Miroku gave a faint smile. "Yeah, but she's worth the abuse. Should we try and track down Kaede without her tonight?"

"I suppose we can wait until the morning. Not too much can happen between then and now anyway. I just wish that someone like Shuuichi were here." Kagome told him as she walked back towards her cabin across the hall.

"Shuuichi? Isn't that the guy you had a crush on during basic training? The one that taught you to fly?" Miroku asked bewildered. Why would she bring him up? She hadn't seen him in at least three years.

"The very one, he's the one with that beautiful red hair and green eyes." Kagome answered with a dreamy expression.

"Now why would you bring him up? Because of his intelligence, or because you were secretly in love with him?" Miroku teased.

"I'm not sure. One of those representatives from Planet Youkai simply reminds me a lot of him. I haven't thought about him since we lost touch after I left basic training. Of course he is both gorgeous and intelligent, not a bad combination." Kagome smiled at her friend.

Miroku rolled his eyes. "Alright, whatever, I don't think I want to know anymore. I'll wake you ladies up then at 0800 hours." Miroku decided and then entered his quarters.

Kagome flopped onto her own bed this time. "Something is definitely going on here out of the ordinary."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Naraku was pacing in his chambers impatiently awaiting news from his ultimate spy, Kanna. She had the ability to know what was happening anywhere and he was very interested in finding out the success of Kagura's mission. He hated entrusting her with things of importance, for the wind-demoness was fickle and not very trustworthy.

The silent steps of Kanna, the small child looking youkai appeared in his pacing path and Naraku prompted her to speak with silent gestures.

She lifted her enchanted mirror that served as the connection of whatever event he desired to know about. Before him appeared an old woman with a patch over her left eye. He raised an eyebrow. He decided that humans were truly hideous creatures.

"Supreme Ruler Naraku, I report success in the mission thus far." The old woman replied to him.

"You brought back the human with knowledge of the Shikon no Tama?" Naraku demanded in his voice of cold malice and with fiery red eyes burning holes into the very soul of his inferiors.

"Aye, my lord, I brought back the three that our sources reported to be most suspicious. I am uncertain which one possesses the knowledge per say. The Earthlings, unfortunately, are very wise. They have supplanted the knowledge of the energy source so deeply within the recesses of the human's mind that whomever they are they do not even realize what they know." Kagura continued.

"Do they suspect?" Naraku inquired.

"No, my lord. They follow their superiors blindly. They have no idea that I am an imposter. They are foolish and did not question why they, inexperienced cadets would be chosen to represent their world at a conference of such importance. We have no need to fear intelligence on their part."

"I see. What of the youkai and the other representatives that are to arrive?" Naraku continued.

"I have spoken with Kikyou, Bankotsu, Juuroumaru, and Kishay. They shall arrive in the morning to keep up the appearance of this conference. They have all agreed to do your bidding sir." Kagura informed.

"I see. They have no choice but to obey. I only allowed their planets to not be completely destroyed if they vowed absolute loyalty to me. See that they do not raise suspicion and be wary of Inuyasha."

"Excuse my ignorance sir, but why would you choose Inuyasha for such an important mission. He is very volatile and his loyalties are questionable." Kagura dared to question.

"Never question my judgment. But, I want you to be informed to all that may prove necessary. Kouga and Inuyasha were my choices as pilot and both are volatile. However, if Inuyasha must chose where his loyalties lie, I believe they would lie within his brother. I trust neither of those two, but Sesshoumaru is stubborn in his beliefs of diplomacy." Naraku answered.

"Thank you sir for sharing such information with one as lowly as me." Kagura forced out while bowing deeply and clenching her teeth seething in hatred to the one she was bound to servitude wise.

"You are dismissed. Be certain that no suspicions are raised. Make sure that Kurama is successful of attaining information from the pilot. After seeing the what Earthlings look like I almost feel sorry for him." Naraku had Kanna destroy the connection with Kagura with a wave of his hand.

Kagura stood up straight and growled in frustration. She must find another way. Naraku was not worthy of ruling the great Planet Youkai. If only someone like Sesshoumaru would challenge him then there perhaps would be hope for peace afterall.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few hours after retiring to her room, Kagome decided that she could not sleep. She dressed quickly and decided to wander back to the deck and gaze at the stars. They always brought her peace, even in times of distress.

She softly padded down the corridors leading towards the deck and noticed that she seemed to be the only one up at the hour other than the skeleton crew that made sure no stray asteroids were directed towards the station.

She leaned her head against the cool glass and lost herself to the abyss of the great beyond. Suddenly two warm hands eased themselves onto her shoulder and gently began to massage her tension away. A body leaned in closer, effectively caging her form under it and a mouth descended near her right ear.

"Could you not sleep either, Kagome?" The warm voice breathed into her ear. She recognized the voice from earlier at the bar and smiled faintly.

Kagome sighed, trying to rid her mind of haunting images of Shuuichi. It was absurd to be thinking about him. "No, Kurama, I could find no rest this night."

Kurama rested his chin upon the crown of the Earthling's head. He was beginning to feel slightly uneasy about seducing this young woman. He honestly was becoming attached to her, which was rare, for he never cared for any of the numerous women he had made fall in love with him. He was a little scared of the implications of that unease.

"Do you think the other representatives will arrive in the morning?" Kagome asked melting into the warmth of the Kitsune.

"Most assuredly, they shall arrive in a few hours. I am confident of that." Kurama answered. Silently he was pondering why he was asked to seduce this young woman. Why would Naraku request such a thing? She was far too innocent and trusting to hold the key to ultimate power. Was it really a wise thing to work for Naraku? He never held any loyalty to the man, but respected his position as Supreme Ruler.

Kurama pulled himself away from the human woman. His second thoughts upon the mission were affecting his resolve. He could not betray the trust of one so frail. He wanted to earn that trust. He must not betray the hope that spawned from such innocence. He could not carry out Naraku's request.

Kagome turned around confused by the mixed signals. She reached for Kurama and placed her hand under his chin to direct his gaze to her eyes. He seemed to be avoiding looking at her.

"What is wrong, Kurama?" Kagome asked with her eyes wide in naked concern for his well-being.

Kurama closed his eyes. `Must not look into her eyes. Must not look into her eyes.' He silently chanted to himself.

"Please look at me." Kagome requested in a whisper. "I thought we had become friends."

Kurama opened his eyes. `She thought we were friends?' He looked into her gaze and cursed himself. There were tears hiding behind those windows to her soul. He could smell them. He hugged her fiercely to himself. "Shhh…..of course we are friends. Let's go back to bed. I'll walk you to your quarters."

Kagome nodded into his chest and regained her composure. She couldn't believe she almost cried in front of a stranger. The stress of this voyage was overwhelming. She never cries! What is it about this place and these youkai that were causing her to be so weak. "Thank you, Kurama, I would appreciate that."

Kurama released her from his body and took her hand and led her towards her quarters. Lucky for him she didn't question how it was that he knew exactly where she was staying or how he had found her.

She unlocked her door and smiled at him. "I'll see you in the morning."

Kurama gave her a heart-melting smile. "Of course, I look forward to it."

Kurama left the area and headed back to his own quarters and continued to berate himself and silently curse. `What was I thinking? Now she will be suspicious if I do not continue these adorations. But, now I must question if I can betray her if I do discover the secret of the Shikon.'

He turned the final corner and ran into Inuyasha.

"Watch where you're going Youko." Inuyasha told him in an annoyed tone.

Kurama nodded at him absently and continued towards his room.

"Hey fox, where were you?" Inuyasha turned to follow, completely forgetting his own reasons for wandering the halls.

"I was talking with Kagome." Kurama told him still deeply in thought about his own inner tourmoil.

"I know of your mission, Kitsune. Don't you dare hurt her." Inuyasha told him in a quiet threatening tone.

The hint of emotions from Inuyasha broke Kurama from his personal reverie. He looked at the other in unhidden interest and amusement. "Does Inuyasha care for the little human?"

"Keh. I just don't want her distracted while I race her. I want no excuses to be available for when I defeat her. I shall be the undisputed best pilot in this sector of the universe." Inuyasha explained. It wasn't exactly a lie, but it was only a half-truth. Perhaps he did care for the human girl. She certainly wouldn't have a chance against the skills of Youko.

Kurama gave him a carefree smile. "Worry not. What I do with Kagome is my own business."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~Belle: That's it for now!

~Miroku: So what's happening on Earth? Surely they realize we're gone.

~Kagome: yeah!

~Belle: Indeed they do realize something is amiss. At least, a certain admiral of the fleet that Kagome has been having thoughts about recently has figured something out.

~Inuyasha: Keh. It figures you would throw in another love interest for Kagome.