Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of the Chaotic Souls ❯ Red and Gold ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Warning! This chapter holds major spoilers to the MANGA series of InuYasha, volume 38. If you do not wish to know of the spoiler, skip the Side Story.
Chapter Fifteen
Red and Gold
Summertime. The blazing sun beats relentlessly down upon the people of Japan, intent on making everyone dehydrate into a mass of nothing but rubbles of bone and skin. Heat waves distorted everyone's vision, drying up flowers as the day went by. Gardeners frantically applied water in vain, attempting the impossible task of saving their flowers' lives.
The winds danced around her, ruffling her hair and clothes, as she walked down the streets towards the meeting place of her newest recruits. She'd been cooped up in the mansion, working at the pile of paperwork that had stacked up in her rush to pass the final exams of the last semester. Now that school was finally out, the work she'd neglected had decided to come and nip her on her behind. It's only natural that she'd finally get out of the house a little and breathe some fresh air.
But, by God, she wished that she'd picked a better, slightly cooler, day.
Nature's little joke, Kagome grumbled. And the next time I see that little trickster, I'll have to retaliate, no doubt…
After all, of all the days to be unbearably hot, it had to be today.
She walked into the moderately built structure with the variety of flowers and trees. The most gigantic of trees, with all the patience and pride of one that is ancient, provided her with a gently soothing comfort. The kitchen was already filled with the homely odor of her mother's cooking. Mouth automatically watering, she quietly surveyed the room, searching for the hidden treats.
“Stop it, Kagome,” her mother laughed as she walked into the room with a large pan. She placed it onto the counter, took off her snowy white apron, and leaned in to kiss her darling girl. “No snacks until after dinner.” Worried eyes surveyed her daughter's countenance, inwardly wincing at the lack of pink in her daughter's pale cheeks. She noted the carefully masked worry in her daughter's blue-gray eyes.
Not commenting, as usual, she returned to the kitchen. “Get the teriyaki for me, won't you darling?” She accepted the bowl from Kagome and smiled soothingly at her. “And how are you, sweetie?”
Kagome grinned, comforted in spite of herself. Her family had adapted astonishingly well to the environments of Makai, what with its red skies and humid weather. Under the protection of both Sesshoumaru and her guards, her parents lived safely in the natural soils of the Forest Lands. It's been rather recent that this structure, with all its conveniences, was replicated into this Realm. As expected, her mother had immediately turned the new, rather aloof building into a warm and comforting home. Little pots of flowers dotted here and there. Tassels with dangling bells hung near every door, courtesy of her beloved grandfather.
“I'm fine, Momma,” Kagome sniffed at the stew that was simmering in its pot. “Mm, I've missed your cooking.”
“Then let me come back, Kagome.”
The girl swallowed, and listened to the continuous chopping. Breathing in, she smirked into her mother's back. “Come on, Momma, haven't you gotten used to Sess's place yet?”
“Oh, of course. Although, your grandfather hasn't stopped with his prayers over the evil and wicked demons ever since.” She laughed, and dumped the chopped parsley into the stew. Her eyes glimmered with amusement as she glanced over at her daughter. “I think he's just missing you, darling.”
Kagome sneaked a spoonful of the stew when her mother turned again. “Well then,” she said once she'd swallowed. “I think I'll go see him.”
“Mm. Oh, and sweetie, don't sneak like that again. It'll ruin your appetite.”
Quite admonished, the Ancient left the room, sheepishly. Hundreds of years older than her mother and she still couldn't fool her. Sensing her grandfather's aura out back, she walked through the house until she reached their backyard. Beyond the immediate garden were the forests, dark and mysterious. And appearing to be utterly cool.
“Jii-san?”
Her grandfather turned, eyes twinkling when he saw her. “Ah, Kagome. Come.” She obeyed and felt her heart melt when she saw the single poppy that he held in his hands. The barely blooming blossom struggled against the harsh heat of Makai.
“Oh,” she laughed a little at her grandfather's sentiment. He'd always been a sucker for flowers. She concentrated and called the earth elements to please bless this little blossom. Nutrients and minerals reached up to rush at the roots of the struggling flower until it glowed with a healthy, just watered appearance.
He smiled at her and, patting her head, stood back up. “Now, why don't we see to that dinner? I believe your mother invited everyone in the Realms. Kami knows she's cooking enough for them.”
Laughing, she hugged her grandfather and kissed his balding head. “Of course, Jii-san.”
By sunset, Kagome was busily helping her mother finish up with dinner preparations, when the guests began to arrive. Her grandfather went to answer the door and chuckled when he saw Sesshoumaru. “You would be the first. Come on in.”
Sesshoumaru nodded his respect to the elderly man and walked to where he knew Kagome was. He stopped before the kitchen and stared with amusement, as the Nigenkai Ancient contemplated the mysteries of dicing chicken. Her mother stood beside the girl, patiently going over the instruction as she worked. He smirked when he heard her muttered curses, as she cut her finger.
Stuffing her bleeding finger into her mouth, her blue-gray eyes glared down at the uncooperative chicken with intense dislike, before blowing out a breath. “Why in Hell do I have to like eating chicken?” She turned and glared at Sesshoumaru. “Glad I could entertain your amusement, though.”
Her mother turned and beamed when she saw him. “Ah, Sesshoumaru! Dinner is almost ready. Once Kagome finally manages to slice and dice these strips properly, we'll begin setting the table.”
“That might not be a while then,” Sesshoumaru raised a brow, completely ignoring her death glare.
“I'm going to poison your chicken.”
“Of course.”
“And make sure you die a painful death.”
“That, my love, is copyrighted to this Sesshoumaru.”
“Of course,” she mimicked.
Mrs. Higurashi stared at the affectionate bantering between her daughter and her longtime friend. Swiftly stepping in when the bantering began turning into a battle of wills, she reminded Kagome that she had her dicing to do and advised Sesshoumaru to go wait outside. It never occurred to her that she was commanding two Top Ancients of their own respective Realms.
Sesshoumaru decided to leave Kagome before she really does decide to poison his dinner. Obviously, he wouldn't die, but he'd be most uncomfortable for the rest of the evening. He raised his brows when he saw that the rest of the guests had arrived. Enma, sitting with the group of Reikai Tentai that Kagome had recently recruited into her team, was chatting animatedly with the group.
“Man, I'm still hungry,” Yuuske complained. It had taken him approximately one point three seconds to get over the shock of being face to face with the Reikai Ancient. Completely relaxed now in the presence of such power, he groaned. His eyes snapped open, however, when he sensed the new power that Sesshoumaru contained within him.
Turning, the group inspected Sesshoumaru's quiet appearance. Kurama and Hiei both bowed their respect, cluing the other two immediately on the identity of this one demon. Sesshoumaru, who was definitely different from Enma's friendly ways, left the two with a disconcerted feeling as he walked past them.
“Guys!” Kagome called suddenly from inside the kitchen. “Dinner's in a moment. Wash your hands!
Kurama watched the strange assortment of company that honored the dinner table of the Higurashi family that night. Granted, he'd been surprised when Kagome invited their team to the dinner as well. After all, how many times can you boast that you've eaten dinner with the Top Ancient of all three Realms?
From the casual countenance of both Mrs. Higurashi and the elderly Mr. Higurashi, it's pretty frequent.
“Sesshoumaru!” Kurama raised a brow at the death glare that Kagome was currently throwing at the Makai Ancient. What bewildered him even more was that Sesshoumaru merely returned to his dinner, the perfect image of devastating innocence. Was that their bond? This casual interaction between friends?
She turned to him then, with her glimmering blue-gray eyes and the pits of discomfort dragged into his system. For perhaps the millionth time since school's gone out, Kurama averted his eyes and trained them securely onto something else; this time on the wonders of his delightful meal. If he saw the flash of confused disappointment in Kagome's eyes, he told himself that it had never existed.
Sesshoumaru, however, did.
A thin brow rose at this strange display. Kagome had already turned to the short, dark haired fire demon when she saw that Kurama didn't respond. Staring into her aura, he saw the confusion and hurt at the redhead's brush off.
“Hn.”
He heard her sigh of exasperation, as her aura lighted into a pastel yellow. In contrast, Kurama's turned a deeper shade of red. “Hiei-kun, can't you say something else besides `hn' for once?”
“Hn.”
“Apparently not,” Kagome muttered, stuffing steamed octopus balls into her mouth.
Tappy was ready for the return of his Ladyship and her guests. Making sure that each and every laser was deactivated, he ran through the last glitches of the security system when his instincts started hammering. Eyes turning lavender, the meta-human leaped suddenly into the air, where two stag youkai clawed through. His computer screen exploded, smashed into a million pieces. Venom from the two youkai streamed through the computer pieces, obliterating the last of the memory within the system.
“Good reflexes there,” one of them commented, as they turned back to the human soul. “Not many would know of our approach.”
Tappy smirked. Eyes returned to its normal blue-white, as he shook out his white hair. His garnet ring automatically started collected the data of the two youkai here, transferring it into the nerves in his hands to be stored in his mind. He eyed his computer with distaste and turned back to the two youkai. “You'll have to deal with my insurance company now, you know.”
Without waiting for their response, he lunged. Hair streamed back, as wind automatically whipped from his being to life. He dodged one of the youkai's claws, ramming his fists into the other's stomach. Dropping onto the ground, he used the rest of his momentum to spin into a kick, effectively avoiding the sharp blade that was built in on the youkai's tail.
Leaping back up before they would use his lowered position to their advantage, he flipped back. Eyes were green, as a bolt of emerald appeared in his left hand. Noting the data from his ring, he launched the electric attack towards the first youkai's chest, while launching a ruby red fire attack to his counterpart's head. The two rapid assaults effectively shattered both youkai's concentration of ki. As their powers fled them, their physical pain doubled, causing them both to drop onto the ground.
Tappy turned, as a shadow of pure black launched right onto his chest. Grunting at the power behind this particular blast, he dropped onto a knee and stared at his new opponent. Eyes returned blue white when he saw the familiar face of his Ladyship's younger brother. “Souta-sama!”
Souta mimicked Tappy's previous actions and smirked. Ruby eyes lit up in amusement, as the meta-human attempted to stand. He whistled when Tappy managed the feat with a hand clasped before his chest. “Phew, Kagome trained you good, huh?”
Tappy narrowed his eyes. “Do not speak of my Ladyship in such a fashion.” Souta laughed. It unnerved Tappy to hear the once so sweet boy laugh so cruelly, so mockingly. “Do not speak of your own elder sister in such a fashion.”
“Or what?” Souta laughed. He raised a brow and the darkness that previously sneaked into Tappy started slithering within his soul. Pain shot through Tappy's entire body, as he attempted to slay his own demons.
Souta smirked. He leaped down at the immobile Tappy, took the set of codes hanging on his left earring. Using the darkness inside Tappy, he made the meta-human cough onto the earring, using his breath molecules to activate its code system. Holding it before his eyes, Souta smirked at Tappy. The earring whirred in his hands, before clicking into place. “System deactivated.”
Dropping the earring onto the ground, Souta sniggered at Tappy's attempts to move. A black boot rose from the ground and crushed down at the earring. Without even glancing back at the meta-human, Souta stepped through the doors and headed down towards the single place where the security was heaviest.
Kurama just finished eating his meal—and was ready for his escape—when all three Ancients suddenly bolted out of their seats. Shocked, thinking that, perhaps they'd read his thoughts or some such, he bolted up as well. However, once he was standing, he hadn't the faintest idea what to do.
Kagome cursed, scowling as her blue-gray eyes turned lavender.
“Kagome, dear?” Mrs. Higurashi asked, slowly setting her bowl down. A second later, she turned back to the food, picking up a piece of salmon left. “Be careful, darling,” she said, daintily eating the salmon away.
Kagome smiled and blew a kiss over to her mother. “Course, momma!”
End Chapter
A LITTLE SIDE STORY:
I AM WIND
The pain has dissipated. It's so beautiful, the land of the world that I've always coveted. The land of the world that I wanted just one slice of since forever. The air flowed around me, swirling around me, wrapping me in their warmth—their own special welcome hug. The sun beamed down upon me, warming me in its heat...warming me to its love.
The sky calls to me, making me want to go farther...faster...higher than ever before. The trees brushed their leafy arms to me, asking me to stay and soothe their uncomfortable aches again. And I did stay, because I wanted to see him. Does he remember? I want to know. I really want to know.
He is beautiful. The perfect man that Kami-sama has bestowed upon us mortals. The single being that had managed to take away something that was mine, yet never had been truly mine. I swirled around him, causing the silver glint of hair to fly. I can touch him, but I can never feel him. I can watch him, but I can never see him. I can yearn for him, but I can never stay.
Once more, I swirled.
Does he remember?
Please, do you remember?
Once last time, just one last time. The ruffling of his clothing brought him out of his staring contest with the sky and brought his attention to the air. Golden eyes remain cool, face remain still. No voice to utter his single thoughts.
Do you remember?
Then I saw. Tied. Around the tassel, hanging onto a single red thread. It fluttered, serenely, quietly.
Freely.
Gently brushing the white softness, I knew that this would be the last time. It'll remain there, until he decides to discard it or move it away. It'll remain by his side, to help him remember, to help him...
The sun was shining brighter now. The sky was calling for me away. So warm...the air, it's so warm. The ground rushed up to meet me, when I kissed it goodbye. Little puffs of dust floated in the air for precious few seconds, as I rose ever higher. The trees were dancing, waving their gigantic branches in a last attempt of goodbye. I swirled about them, just one last time. I am Wind.
Finally, I am free.
End Side Story
VOCABULARY
Teriyaki: a traditional, incredibly delicious, Japanese dish
Makai: Demonic Realm
Jii-san: Grandfather
Kami: God or heavenly spirit
Nigenkai: Human Realm
Reikai: Spirit Realm
Tentai: detectives
Youkai: demon
Ki: energy
Author's Corner
Sorry everyone for this MAJORLY long delay! Adverse to popular opinion and theories, I am not dead. Or, if I did, I have decided to come back to life. Either way, it's been a while since I updated and I apologize!
I am terribly sorry for this delay. And so, I will do my utmost to write more to compensate for this lapse during the summer, provided nothing out of the ordinary happens again...(i.e. my computer crashes...TT.TT) I'll try to update more frequently...however, I'm not promising.
As to the side story, I first wrote I AM WIND when I read about Kagura's death in Takahashi's manga series of InuYasha. I'm pretty sure the anime never reached that part—the anime stopped within halfway of the manga. To really get some of the references in this fanfic, I'm suggesting that all of you continue from volume 27 of the InuYasha manga series. Anyhow, I really liked Kagura, so I wanted to write a little something for her death. Hope you enjoyed.
In the meantime, ja!
END
Thank you so much for your reviews and encouragements! Please continue to read and review!
Lots of greets,
Yukisora
Last Checked: April 03, 2005
Edited by: Wake-Robin