Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Layers of a Rose ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know I have to update my other fic, but it's on another computer. This chapter might be short… I don't really care…

Disclaimer: YYH is property of Yoshihiro Togashi and Inuyasha is property of Rumiko Takahashi.

Summary: Youko/Kagome/Kurama - Living normal lives in the future, Kagome still has a past from the past while Kurama shares his body with another. How can they find someone to love and not lie to someone they want to them?

Layers of a Rose

Chapter One

~

It was dark, but many stars were out that night. The far away figures lit the sky with their light. The wind blew gently against my skin. How I loved to sit in that field and admire the beautiful flowers that grew. I especially admired the crimson colored roses.

They were the most beautiful out of the bunch… Maybe I thought they were beautiful because it was a gift from someone I cared about. Someone I loved. Someone I fell in love with.

I lay flat on my back on the crisp green grass that surrounded me along with the variety of flowers and close my eyes. I am happy to be here, but this is not where I belong… How I wished things were different. I wished it didn't have to hurt so much.

I wished that I could stay with him forever. I love him so much. His presence makes me feel so safe and warm. I don't know how he feels about me, but I will always love him. I know that there isn't anyone who can replace him, Youko Kurama. It's to bad that I can't confess what I feel…

He seems to be so… distant to everyone, except for maybe Kuronue… I want to hug him and ask him to trust me, but he is always busy with the other things.

She could feel light footsteps head towards the direction she was on the earth around her. "Kagome-chan? What are you doing out here? You know that Youko won't approve of it when he hears you left after dark. Strange youkai might come out and he wouldn't want you hurt. Other than that he is still touchy about his garden. He doesn't like it when other people come here without his supervision. It's a plant thing I believe."

She sat up with a grin plastered onto her face. Her blue-gray eyes shimmered beneath the stars. "I couldn't help it Kuronue-kun. I couldn't sleep and I love the garden here. Besides, you are here now, so aren't you supervision enough? Other than that, what really brings you out here tonight?"

"Ahh. I came out tonight because…" There was a long silence. Kagome sat there patiently waiting for his answer that he didn't have. He then sighed knowing he was defeated. He strode by the girl and sat next to her on the grass.

"You don't have a reason why you are out tonight?"

He chuckled knowing she wanted to hear him say that yes, he didn't have a reason for coming out to the garden where she was. He could feel Kagome lay her head against his shoulder when he admitted defeat. It was one of their games they played. To see who could answer questions. The first to not have a direct answer was the loser.

"No, I don't have a reason. I guess I couldn't sleep either. Youko does have an amazing garden, but you come here every night Kagome-chan. Would you care to explain?"

To Kuronue, it was obvious why she did what she did. It was out of love for Youko. Kuronue was happy for Youko. He wasn't sure what it was that he felt for her. Kagome was different from the rest of the females he had ever met. Were his feelings for her of love, or as family?

Most likely he believed they were of love, but he still didn't know. If they were, he thought that his feelings would fade if he didn't express them, but he expressed them little by little, and it was unknown by him.

Kagome kept her head on Kuronue's shoulder. She sighed and finally decided to answer. She lifted her hand to play with the locks of the handsome thief's hair. "I'm only telling you this because I like and trust you. Well, I love this garden other than it's beauty because Yo-"

A throat was cleared and a deep voice was heard. "What do you two think you are doing out here?"

Both figures on the floor looked up to see a very angry kitsune. Blue-gray eyes filled with laughter after it's owner realized what was happening. Youko seemed to be used to her laughter. "I had expected better from you Kuronue. I just can't seem to figure out why you are acting like this…"

Kagome giggled even more while Kuronue just stared at his friend that acted like he was his father. Kuronue just sat there with the girl next to him still laughing. Her endless laughter caused Youko to glare at her. It didn't affect her. She still laughed.

Knowing nothing new was going to happen, Youko retreated back into his home. Kagome ceased her laughing and shot right up. She bowed to the male that was still on the floor and ran after Youko.

"Youko-kun! Come back! I didn't mean to laugh! Come back! I'm sorry Youko-kun!"

Kuronue watched as Youko still walked with his long legs that took him farther than one of a regular human. Kagome ran after him. It was cute. Eventually she caught up and he listened. It was like this everyday since she stayed with them.

Kuronue had found her unconscious in the forest area. He and Youko had been on their way home after a night of robbing from a lord. As always, Youko was ahead and Kuronue was caught off guard by the scent of spring rain and jasmine flowers… He was awfully curious by the exotic scene, and it led to Kagome.

Of course Youko refused to take her in, but changed his mind for his friend.

Closing the door to Kagome's chamber, Youko turned to see Kuronue. He wasn't surprised one bit. Like all youkai, his senses were sensitive. "What is it Kuronue? You should be in your room too, am I right?"

"Oh, don't worry about me friend. I was merely curious as to know why you were in Kagome-chan's room."

Youko glared at him for about a minute and sighed. He walked past his friend to return to his quarters. "She insisted that I take her back to her room." Youko answered just as he brushed by his partner in crime. All Kuronue could do was smirk at his friend. How their life has changed. It was a good change too.

Youko gently closed the large door behind him. He had felt Kagome's presence leave when she entered the garden. He asked himself why he went to follow her. He wanted to know why he felt a tinge of jealousy to see Kuronue beat him there. He realized that he was slowly growing love for her.

'Ha! The great Youko Kurama getting attached! I don't think so.' He shook his head. No… I am not weak! But… I have a weakness now…' His gaze fell to the floor, is silver locks fell over his shoulder. He thought about what Kagome had said to him before he left her room.

"Youko, are you lonely? I know you have Kuronue, but are you?"

"No, I am perfectly happy with the life I have."

"Oh… I see… Well, I was thought the same way you did. I was perfectly happy with my life too. I thought I wasn't lonely. Then that incident happened and I met you… It made me realize how lonely I really was."

"Kagome…"

She smiled. "It's not a big deal Youko-kun. I just felt like telling you. It was running through y mind and I wanted to tell you, that's all."

They gazed at each other and in unison they said goodnight.

He slammed his fists on the ice, cold floor. He then started to laugh to himself. When the laughter settled, he mumbled to himself on how the impossible had really happened.

~

Kagome had her own house where she lived with her best friend, Aogiri Miroku. At the age of twenty-two she was still single and didn't mind. She still hadn't healed since the last time she fell in love. She felt that it was wrong to go out with someone when her mind would always be on someone else.

"Kagome-chan?"

The girl quickly sat up after hearing her name called. It was her best friend that leaned at the doorframe. The smile he always wore was on his face. "Your mother is here, and she wants to speak with you. It seems important. I wonder what it could be. Maybe she has found a suitor for our lonely twenty-three year old that-"

Kagome threw a pillow in his face to stop him from saying any more. I get it. I get it Miroku-kun. I'll talk to you later, right?"

Kagome quickly brushed her hair to look presentable and rushed down the stairs. She saw the back of her mother's head. From the looks of it, she looked like she was dressed for something special.

"Okaa-san? What is it?" Her mother's head turned and she appeared to be extremely happy and a bit nervous at the same time. She dressed a little more than she usually did. She wore the necklace she wore for years and she wore a dress that seemed new. In her hair seemed to be a diamond clip that looked worn. Something was happening.

"Do you remember about the time I told you my friend about Shiori-san?"

"Um… I recall you telling me about how you and she promised to be friends forever and that you promised each other that your children would marry one another if it was possible, but you were only joking, right?"

That was when she saw her mothers face change to a 'please-don't-kill-me' look.

"Kaa-san? You were serious?! You really promised me to someone else? Before I was born?!"

"Kagome dear, please don't be angry. I had to tell you some day. You aren't with anyone, and you refuse to find anyone. Why not just try to live with someone? You can't support yourself and your-"

"Kaa-san…" Kagome's eyes lowered and their gaze fell to the wooded floor, " You know perfectly why I refuse to find someone new, but since you have your reasons and, well, a promise is a promise. What kind of daughter would I be to upset my mother over a life promise?"

Her gaze lifted up and smiled at her mother that had great concern in her eyes. She loved her daughter too much and the words she spoke stung her. Her daughter was kind and understood her. She forgave her and agreed. Her heart was beating happily.

"So… who is he?" She hated silence, so she decided to break the ice. Her mother explained to her about their plans for that night. They were going to meet for dinner and the mothers would leave the two alone to talk. Kagome then started to feel nervous and hurt. Her heart squeezed lightly at the thought of someone she loved. She hid what she felt under her smile. She was used to hiding her emotions.

"Thank you and it was a pleasure to have you here Urameshi-san." The girl with the black ponytail handed the bunch of flowers to the other female that had shoulder length brown hair.

"No, I should thank you. Your store has the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. I can see why my friends suggested this shop to me." She smiled and she looked at her watch. She explaind that she would have loved to talk, but she was running behind in her errands.

As she passed by the door, someone held it open for her. She only saw a little of the tall figure at the corner of her eye. He was really handsome, especially his purple-blue eyes that caught her attention.

"Sango-chan, are you ready to go?"

Se nodded and closed up the store. Miroku helped her like any good boyfriend would. Together they left to go out. They stored the flowers I the fridge that kept them fresh, turned off the light. Miroku spoke to Sango about what was happening with Kagome and her mother. They turned at the corner of the store and headed into the restaurant that they usually ate in. When they entered, they were greeted with the same faces that always greeted them.

"There're closed… Oka-san wanted me to pick up some flowers on my way to visit her."

"Hmph. You wouldn't have been late if that girl wasn't trying to court you. You also wasted time breaking up with that girl you were already with. She started to cry, but you stayed with her, so whose fault is it that you were late to buy flowers?"

"…"

" Why buy it when you know a perfectly cheaper way to do it? Besides they are even more beautiful than buying them. Why does your mother want flower anyways? She never asked for anything before."

"Correction Youko, she has asked for something before. Well, not actually asked, but she told me something I couldn't refuse… I think that's why…"

"So you think your mother is setting you up with that marriage she promised to some other human tonight? Well, I refuse. You can't be with anyone without my approval you know. If you do you know your life is going to be Hell."

Shuuichi frowned at that last comment. Youko did have a point, but he didn't want to upset his mother. She had told him this meant a lot to her. She also knew he didn't have the time to go out and find himself a girlfriend.

"Youko, why do you have to be so mean about this girl? You haven't even met her yet!"

"I already have someone." Youko scoffed. "But it had appeared she didn't feel the same way about me. I still love her, so if you go and marry her, go ahead, but I will not allow you to have any children. Maybe then she'll think about leaving you." Youko started to laugh and Kurama tried to drown him out of his mind.

'Youko… Why haven't you told me this before? You usually tell me everything…' Kurama thought to himself. "Well, let's get on home shall we? He tightened his grip on the briefcase he held and brushed his hair back over his shoulders. He headed to the direction of his home. Others would find it weird that four males lived together, but it wasn't for Kurama. Living with his friends didn't bother him at all.

The house was very large. It was Japanese style with shoiji screens and the windows were paper, at least most of them were. Each of them lived in different corners of the house.

Yusuke had married and lived in the biggest part of the house. He and Keiko had a both and a girl. The boy being the oldest took after his father, but ended up with his mothers beauty. Their daughter was very kind, yet a bully. She mostly looks like her father, but has a resemblance to her mother. They bothered loved their life and they would call Kuwabara, Hiei, and Kurama their uncles.

But Kurama wasn't only their uncle, Yusuke had asked him to be their godfather. If anything were to happen to him, he wanted Kurama to take care of them.

"Kurama-san!" The young children ran up to him when they saw him in the clearing. Since they were still young, they only reached his knees. They hugged him and let go. They held his hands and started talking about their day. This is something children would do only to their parents, but Yusuke and Keiko raised them differently.

"Oto-san also told us that you were going to meet a lady. Is she pretty?"

"Is she going to be your wife?"

"Kurama-san!!!"

The two children asked him questions they didn't really care about. Inside, Youko's ears were hurting.

"Make them shut up! I want to sleep and they are too loud for little children! I could teach them a lesson if you want Shuuichi.."

"No, Youko, you have to bear this with me."

"Fine… I'll get you back for this."

Kurama smirked and told the two children to help their mother that he could sense was coming. They ran off to help her and left Kurama in peace. He headed towards his corner of the home and placed his belongings down. He was preparing to meet his mother.

A/N: I sooo wanted to type more, but let's see what reviews will come. This chapter was supposed to be longer, but if I don't get reviews then it wouldn't have been worth it. I love this pairing and no voting. I stand by what I choose. I'm not sure about Sango though… There are a lot of San/Hiei fan -_- what about Miroku?

Review if you want more!

Visit my shrine for this pairing too!

http://devoted.to/kurama_kagome