Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Layers of a Rose ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know I have to update my other fic, but it's on another computer. This chapter might be short… I don't really care… MediaMiner is being stupid, so to get the version that makes sense, it is on FanFiction.net under the same penname, SuzumiTenshi

When I said soon, I really meant it. I just got… distracted, but it doesn't matter because the update is here!

Disclaimer: YYH is property of Yoshihiro Togashi and Inuyasha is property of Rumiko Takahashi.

Youko/Kagome/Kurama - Living normal lives in the future, Kagome still has a past from the past while Kurama shares his body with another. How can they find someone to love and not lie to someone they want to them?

Layers of a Rose

Chapter Two


When she located the restaurant her and her friends ate in, she gently pushed the door. Tiny jingle sounds came from the wind chime as she opened the door. Kagome found what she was looking for. Her two best friends. They sat at the table near the counter. It made perfect sense why they sat there. It was Sango's shift tonight.

Still early, Kagome thought she would tell her friends about the news she received from her mother. 'Marriage to a guy I don't even know… I wonder how Sango-chan will take this…'

"Hey, how are you today Sango-chan?" asked a tired out Kagome. She pulled out a chair and sat in the empty chair beside Sango. She was by herself now. 'Miroku must have gone to the rest room… Hm… I guess I'll have to wait for him.'

"I'm great Kagome-chan. You look very nice this evening. Are you meeting someone that I don't know of?" Sango asked jokingly.

"Uh… About that…" Kagome chuckled nervously.

"Yes, you do Kagome-chan. I wonder if it has anything to do with your meeting with your mother earlier." Miroku had crept up from behind them and entered the conversation of his housemate and girlfriend.

"Miroku!" They both exclaimed. He had popped up out of nowhere. When one of them was about to speak, both girls glared at the monk for his most recent actions.

"PERVERT!" Both women stood suddenly and punched him straight in his pretty face together, but on opposite sides. Sango took on the right, and Kagome the left.

"You hurt me Kagome-chan, Sango-chan. I am innocent, yet you strike me as if I have committed a crime." He held right hand across his heart. He held his usual pout when he spoke. His voice sounded as if he was hurt.

"Yeah right! You do the same thing everyday, and my respond is never different. Why is it that you never change?" Sango asked.

"Because if I were to change, you wouldn't love me like you do now." He smiled like he never did before. Pure happiness was seen through his smile. This time he was serious.

"I- I… That's not true! I could do without your perversion for a day or so!"

"Now, now, don't go saying things you would regret saying Sango dear." He leaned over and lightly kissed her on her lips. This left Sango turning pink. To cover it up, she struck him and yelled out meaningless things.

"Ahem… you know it is quite rude to such things in public Sango-chan. You can beat up on him later, but I have to tell you two something now."

They both quieted and gave their friend their full attention.

"Miroku, do you remember my mother speaking to us one day about her high school days. You needed help with a project, and one thing led to another. Do you remember that story she told us about her best friend and their promising each other their children."

"You mean as in marriage?" Sango asked. She wanted to be sure if she understood it correctly.

"That's right… Marriage."

"So, Kagome-chan, who is it? You or Souta-kun?"

"… That's why Mother came today… To tell me that it was all truth. That she found her best friend. Minamino Shiori-san I believe."

"Kagome-chan…" Sango said slowly… She figured where this story was going. She and Kagome always wanted to find true love, but Kagome always prevented herself from doing so. She had promised her yto tell her the story someday.

"It's alright Sango-chan. There's nothing to worry about. Mother said that I didn't have to, but it meant a lot to her. I figured that she has done so much for me. The least I can do is help her fulfill her promise to her best friend.

"Who is the lucky guy Kagome-chan?" Miroku asked. He placed his hand upon Sango's, who has been cracking her knuckles in her lap. She stopped and relaxed in his comfort.

"Uh… That's the thing. I'm meeting them tonight. For dinner. I just wanted to stop by and tell you.

I wanted to know your opinion in this highly bizarre situation. I mean, you would do anything to make both your parents happy, right Sango-chan? You would do the same, right Mirkou-kun? I only have my mother, Souta, and Grandpa. I lost my father. I want to keep this family happy."

"Kagome…"

"So please, don't worry about me. If it is a mistake, then I'm to blame."

"No! I just can't accept this Kagome! You deserve happiness just as everyone else in this world! What if you are making a big mistake?! What if he doesn't care for you?! What will you do then?" Tears started to form in her eyes. Kagome took care of her when she needed it, now she couldn't repay the favor because she was getting married to a stranger. He could be a fat, lazy, and abusive. He could also be one of those who leave their wife at home and go 'play' with other women.

"Sango, please don't cry, I… I don't want you to cry, okay?" Kagome pleaded.

"Sango-dear. Please don't do this. You know Kagome-chan as well as I do and crying won't change her mind. I've known Kagome-chan ever since I was young. I trust her mother's taste in friends. I believe that she would never put her daughter through anything as awful as that. I think that we should trust this enagement.

He hugged her as she slowly ceased her tears. She slowly pulled out of Miroku's warm embrace.

"I'm sorry, Kagome-chan. I just don't want you hurt, but if he turns out to be something I know you aren't happy with, do not blame me for the extreme measures that may occur.

"Uh…" Kagome gave away a little chuckle, "I understand. Thank you Miroku, Sango, I have to go now. I'll call you, okay Sango? See you later Miroku. Don't forget to run to the store tonight. We are running out of supplies. You eat a lot you know."

"Oh, you wound me Kagome. I need my strength so I can visit my beautiful girlfriend beside me."

Together, both Sango and Kagome replied. "Uh-huh… You're point is?"

"Oh! I really, really have to go!" she paced over to them and hugged Sango tightly and gave Miroku a quick peck on the cheek. She had done that ever since they became friends. She waved at the doorway and ran out.

"Bye!!!"

"Don't forget the flowers."

"What? Flowers? Oh… yes, for Mother." Kurama was a bit nervous. There were many who wanted his love. He never loved anyone in that way before. Time was taking its time. Now, he had agreed to fulfill his mother's promise by marring a total stranger.

"Tell me. Why are you doing this? Remember, I'll make your life a living Hell if you or her try to do anything." Youko said with deep hate in his voice.

"Youko… How could you already hate her when you haven't even met her?"

"Because I don't want anyone else! Don't ask me again, you understand? You wouldn't understand even if I tries explaining it. Why waste time on a matter that didn't involve you? It's the past, but I'm not over it."

"Youko…" Kurama said softly. He wished he could understand his pain, but Youko fully refused to speak about it.

Now, he could feel his mind feel a little lighter. Youko had gone into a deep sleep.

Kurama closed his eyes and sighed. He calmed himself f all his thoughts and straightened the collar of his white, long-sleeved, button down. With long strides to the door, his hand reached out by the table by the door as he grabbed the keys to his part of the house and stepped out. In his hand he held a beautiful bouquet of a dozen roses. It was wrapped in white tissue paper with a scarlet ribbon binding it together. He also held his outer jacket in his arms.

Heading for the restaurant, he heard Yusuke call out to him.

"Hey Kurama! Ready to meet this girl now?" Yusuke waved from his patio. He then jogged his way to Kurama with a sincere smile.

"Yes, I am Yusuke. Take care while I'm gone, alright?" Kurama used his free hand to pat his friend's shoulder.

"You know… You don't have to go through this. She is your mother. She should understand, right?"

"I'm glad to have your concern Yusuke. My mother has never asked me of anything until now. I guess that it will help both ways. She has always dreamed of meeting her future grandchildren and daughter-in-law. You know as well as I do that it is impossible for me to try and find someone. I will have someone, even if we don't love one another."

"Kurama, are you sure?" Yusuke never wanted his friends to make a mistake that could ruin their life forever. He saved Kurama once by giving away some of his life, so why not try and stop Kurama before it's too late again?

"Don't worry Yusuke. I know that everyone is concerned about this situation, but it's my choice."

"Well, good luck then. Let's hope it isn't an ugly one. Ahahaha." Yusuke lightened the conversation by laughing. If Keiko were there, he would have been slapped, but no, Keiko was inside taking care of the twins.

Kurama laughed a bit and replied, "You always know what to say, don't you Yusuke?"

"Huh?"

"You always make someone fell better about themselves, even in a serious situation."

"…" Yusuke thought about it for a moment and finally agreed. "I do, don't I?"

"See you later, alright? Bye."

"Yeah… Bye." Yusuke shoved his hands into his pockets and headed back in. He was sure glad he had Keiko. He would've hated to be in Kurama's place. What is a marriage without love?

"Welcome back. How did it go? Did you tell him what you thought?" Keiko asked as she got up from the rug where the twins played.

"Yeah, but he choose to go on with it. That's so like Kurama though. He'd put someone else before him." He put his arm around his wife's shoulder and turned towards their kids. This is the life his friends should have. A happy family, friends, and that special someone you love only.

~

"Youko~!"

The kitsune tried to drown out the bothersome knocking from the outside of his door. Sadly, the silk pillow didn't make it any quieter. Then the sound had stopped. Youko had thought it to be a miracle. It was strange for him because he was rarely tired, but thinking all night made his hurt a little.

It felt like someone was towering over him. He slowly opened his eyes. He had expected to see the dim light that his room should've had, but no, it was Kagome.

"Good morning sleepy head." She sat straight, giving Youko room to sit up. She was wide-awake and was dressed as if she was going out. Still, her smile and greeting made him feel good.

"Youko? Are you okay?" Her eyes held deep concern for him, but wasn't she always caring, and to everyone? He then scowled at the thought of him being unwell. That's when he noticed that her concern was gone and she smiled yet again.

"What are you doing in here Kagome?" Youko asked monotonously. He would never tell anyone what he felt or thought. He would take it to his death perhaps. He would rather die loving Kagome and never telling her than to die knowing she would never feel the same way for him.

"Don't you remember? You promised you would go out with me today. You said you wanted to take me somewhere."

"I actually meant why are you in my room without my permission."

"Hmph. I knocked, but you wouldn't answer. I thought you died or something."

"…"

"What? You are still upset I came in? Well, I'm sorry for intruding. I couldn't help it. You might have died, or something might have happened that would have made me curious as to why you hadn't responded to my call…"

"I apologize Kagome-chan. I'm sorry that I had worried you."

"Eh?"

With a quick change of emotion, Youko then glared at the girl that was shocked by an apology. His apology. Her expression changed and her hands were up in an apologetic way and giggled.

"It's alright Youko, so do you still plan on taking me out today? Or are you busy again?"

He hated to admit it, but he was busy. He would have loved to spend some time with Kagome alone, but it was a meeting with a few other lords that was stopping him. He knew it would disappoint her. Especially because it was an order she couldn't be anywhere without his or Kuronue's supervision. She just lures trouble everywhere she goes!

"… We aren't going today, huh?" She voice was low and her head was down. It had hurt. She had been with them for a few months and she affected him so strongly. He reached out and caressed her head softly. He apologized again.

"I'm really sorry Kagome, but for today you can go out to wherever you please."

Her face shot up and looked happily into his eyes. "Really?! Oh thank you Youko-kun!"

She gave him a tight hug that was quite unexpected for the kitsune. He then remembered the other thing he was about to say. "But! Kuronue has to come with you. You cannot leave his sight. I have no idea what it is about you that causes us trouble, so stay put."

She loosened her grip, but still hugged him. "You say it like it's a bad thing. Like Kuronue-kun is a bad person. Besides, it isn't my fault that all those youkai were after me. They happened to be there!"

She had a cute pout on her face that made her seem angelic. Arms around his neck, she reasoned endlessly, but softly to Youko. He listened, but he was still tired.

Youko sighed. It was early in the morning and it was one of their arguments that had become an everyday thing. His arms slowly wrapped around Kagome's waist while she was desperately trying to convince him that the youkai that always followed them weren't her fault.

Her fingers subconsciously played with his silver locks that lay behind his neck. It had felt like silk. Other than his hair, his neck was equally soft. She was comfortable in his lap, although he was still under layers of blankets of his mat. ,They hadn't realized their position. It was just too comfortable.

"My, my. Isn't it a little to early to be arguing? Especially with you two in the same bed, it is quiet suspicious. What activities have taken place after I went to bed, eh, Youko? Kagome-chan?"

Kagome quickly jumped off of Youko and only blushed. Now she stood on her two feet, her left hand balled into a fist in front of her face in embarrassment. She slowly sunk down to the floor and was about to explain how what he saw happened, but was interrupted by Youko's voice that seemed to filled with annoyance.

"Quit being such a nuisance Kuronue. You know as much as I do that nothing has happened."

Youko wasn't in the mood to talk anymore and threw a pillow at his friend. Kuronue was busy spinning a pendant that twirled in his grasp, and the pillow had hit him directly in the face. Stopping the twirl of his necklace, he quickly stuffed it into his pocket.

"After he threw the pillow, Youko held his head on his palm. A headache in such the early morning… it really isn't pleasant. That was then Kagome spoke up with a bit of humor in her voice.

"Uh oh… I think that was a bad move Youko…"

Smirking, Kuronue threw the pillow with more force that Youko had thrown.

"Oof!" Youko was appalled by what had happened. Never in his life had a person return a throw towards him with great pressure and live to see tomorrow. Averting his golden eyes to the girl next to him, he saw laughing softly. She had tried to hold back her laughter and failed.

"Eh?" Kagome then realized the look on the kitsune's face. She tried to get out a quick as she could but failed. She leapt off her feet and headed towards Kuronue who looked a bit scared. For the first time that morning, Youko got out of bed and grabbed the pillow that had already been thrown around and aimed for the young girl in the white yukata.

"Ack!" It hit her in the center of her back causing her to fall on the dark haired raven. It happened so fast. First, she got up and headed towards the door. Kuronue was about to leave when Kagome was headed his way, but somehow hey toppled on one another.

"Oww!" Both of them groaned at the sudden action and lay there weakly. It was as if they were both counter attacked. Like it was all a game, and Youko had won.

"Youko!" Kagome whined as her back regained its strength, "Why did you do that?"

"Yes, Youko, why did you do that?"

The both of them were struggling while getting up. They almost succeeded, but Kagome's bracelet that her father gave her was tangled in Kuronue's silk black hair.

"Ow, ow, OW!" They sat on the floor of Youko's room and Kagome tried to undo the tangle.

"Oh, I'm sorry Kuronue-kun. It's almost out. Just let me pull on it a little more…" she leaned in closer to get a better view of the bracelet tangle. Her arms wound around his neck, as if she were hugging him in a loving way.

"I knew I should've tied it up." Kuronue grumbled as he felt the warmth of the young and adorable miko.

Not moving his head, Kuronue's eyes wandered up to catch the expression on his dear friend's face. Youko's eyes were narrowed as he looked away quickly with a growl on his face. Even though her embrace was so comforting, Kuronue knew it was wrong because he knew of his friend's feelings for the girl that embraced him that very moment.

"But you look so nice with your hair down. It makes you look even more handsome." Kagome said as she finally undid the tangle.

"Handsome you say Kagome-chan?" He loved to be praised. A compliment that came from Kagome was most likely the truth. In all the days, and months she had lived with them, he never remembered a single lie from her. She would just evade a question by changing the subject.

"Yes! I think Kuronue-kun and Youko-kun are very handsome." She smiled happily. Kuronue gestured hid eyebrows upward giving an unusual look towards Youko. When she smiled enough, she unwound her arms and stood up with her arms on her hips. She had a suspicious smile on her face and then said what was running through her mind.

"Kuronue-kun is going to be my guardian today, so let us hurry and go out!"

Kuronue just sat there like a child confused as to what she was saying.

"Youko-kun said that you were going to be my guardian when we go out today." This interested Kuronue a great deal. Why had Youko made plans for him, his friend, and not himself? It was hurting his brain just thinking about it, but a day with Kagome sounded nice. He still couldn't understand why Youko couldn't go when it was obvious he felt something towards her.

"Come on Kuro-chaaan!" she pulled him up with all her strength and dragged him out of Youko's room. Of course, Kuronue was a lot stronger than her, but he liked to be dragged around at some occasions. Still, he didn't understand why he had broken his plans with Kagome.

Love. It really is a crazy thing.

Note: I'm sorry if you didn't understand... MM.org is mean to me... Go to FF.net and read it from there... What's supposed to be italics arern't on MM,org. Heres a link to my username:
http://www.fanfiction.org/~suzumitenshi