Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Par Tout Autre Nom ❯ Footsteps and Fingertips ( Chapter 50 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho belong respectively to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi.
 
 
A/N: Eck. Sorry about the massive holding time. There were a few small complications with one of my procedures, some visits… and a couple of family issues just to make the perfect icing on the cake. On the plus side, Puppy came to visit me and we had much commiseration with Häagen-Dazs and drinks. Which made it that much easier to talk her into drawing me pictures. ^__^ There was carousing and fun, even if poor Puppy had to sleep in the room with the molesting ghost whenever she was here. I think he has a thing for her.
 
Ah! And I almost forgot… on Mediaminer, I posted the chapter a little later due to content and added the explanation of the suffix “heika,” but didn't on FF.N. So~
Heika is a referential title suffix that is used for the Emperor or Empress - or King and Queen, for foreign monarchies.
 
To be honest, I don't post glossaries or anything like that, because of personal preference. On one hand I feel it detracts from the aesthetics of the story to see glossaries at the end of a chapter. And on the other- well, the researcher in me wants to see how many people get curious and figure it out themselves. (Fallon, you're still the only one who knew, I believe) So I apologize for any headache it may cause, and I'll try to remember to post definitions in the author's notes in the chapter following use of any unfamiliar terminology.
 
At any rate, to those of you who have been so supportive and sweet to me in reviews and emails, thank you. It blew my mind to have such well-wishes coming my way. You're all wonderful and you really do make me wish I had more time to write. All my friends, buddies, reviewers and readers… all I can do really is say thank you very much. Well, that and update. ^.~
 
 
<~*~*~*~>
 
 
 
By Any Other Name
 
 
~Footsteps and Fingertips~
 
 
 
::“I don't understand. What's happening to me?
 
I don't know,” Miroku whispered quietly. Pulling Kagome into his lap, he wrapped his arms around her. Carefully making sure the blanket against her back never moved. Miroku spread his fingers to cover more space, applying pressure until it felt like his own hands would go numb. He kissed her temple with a hint of desperation. “We were trying. We thought we were going to lose you.”
 
Kagome clung to him, struggling to stop the violent shaking in her body. Confused and sinking into panic, she repeated, “What's happening to me? I was- I couldn't-”
 
Shh, it's all right.” Miroku tucked her closer to him, resting his cheek against her hair in an attempt to comfort her. His hands closed into fists at the warm, sticky feel of her blood coating his fingers. Forcing himself to sound calm and soothing as he put more pressure on the makeshift bandages again.Hold yourself together, Kagome. You're safe, you don't have to think of it anymore. Just stay with us.”
 
That is enough, Houshi.”
 
Kagome jolted at the sound of the familiar voice. She pulled away from the agitated monk just enough to stare up at the stoic youkai looming over them. Her fingers curled in Miroku's kimono in a silent show of pained uncertainty and she whispered, “Sesshoumaru.”
 
You will regain control or it will be done for you.”
 
Kagome flinched at the sharp command. Anxiety growing, she twisted in an effort to see past his imposing figure and the noxious smoke filling the air. “Itdid you have to- to kill-?
 
This Sesshoumaru did what was necessary, miko.”::
 
 
:………:
 
 
Hiei admitted readily to himself that there was no arrogance in claiming he had seen more in the course of his lifetime than most youkai more than three times his age. The conditions surrounding his birth mixed with the lifestyle he'd chosen for himself had brought him countless experiences very few youkai could claim. At the same time, however, he was fully aware that he still couldn't hold a candle to the taiyoukai's knowledge. Nor could his experiences possibly measure up to the events of Kurama's own considerable lifespan. But circumstances being as they were, Hiei was not often taken visibly by surprise.
 
In his defense, Hiei doubted even Kurama would have been able to blithely take in the sight of the two massive guardians of Hell's Gates kneeling to Sesshoumaru.
 
The Tenseiga gave off a heavy pulse at their proximity. Sending out a wash of ki that instantly gained Hiei's complete focus. His eyes narrowed, looking from the blade to the guardians until he could convince the Jagan there was no immediate danger in skimming the edges of their massive auras. They're afraid of that energy, that sword. And Sesshoumaru knows it.
 
“Come.”
 
The calm order immediately captured Hiei's attention, drawing him up out of his awed thoughts. Sesshoumaru paused only long enough to be certain the hybrid was watching him before walking between the guardians towards the gateway. “If you fall behind, this Sesshoumaru will not be held responsible for your death.”
 
Hiei frowned slightly, blurring forward to fall in step with Sesshoumaru rather than take that insinuated risk. However… His gaze strayed anxiously up to the guardians staring down at them impassively as they passed. The sheer amount of jyaki radiating off them set his nerves almost painfully on edge, curling his fingers over the hilt of his katana convulsively.
 
“Gozu and Mezu will not harm you while you are in the presence of this Sesshoumaru, hybrid,” Sesshoumaru murmured with quiet superiority. Tendrils of pale ki separated from the gateway the closer they came, reaching out to stroke through Tenseiga's aura searchingly. His lips curled slightly in a pleased smile as the dangerous vibration of that energy smoothed to fully open the path. “We have mastered this mode of travel since the first time it was revealed. It is only when this Sesshoumaru is not present that one need fear the souls and gods pouring themselves into this magic.”
 
“Then it is the sword,” Hiei observed.
 
“The sword in the hands of its master,” Sesshoumaru corrected, eyes briefly closing as he stepped into the thick barrier. “The Gateway has come to recognize this Sesshoumaru's authority over it. And Tenseiga will never be held in any hands but my own.”
 
Hiei faltered the instant he stepped into the barrier. Alarmed at the almost viscous feel closing in around him the closer he came. But when the taiyoukai walked into the mist unfazed, he shook the hesitation and forced himself to follow. As soon as his feet crossed the doorway, the Tenseiga pulsed and let out a wave of youki. The protective vibration winding itself steadily over Sesshoumaru expanded back to surround Hiei as well. Warmth seemed to flow over Hiei's skin, chasing away the unrest that had settled in the pit of his stomach.
 
Amazed, Hiei took a step closer to Sesshoumaru. Even half-expecting the increase in that feeling, it was still enough to draw a heavy sigh out of him. Secure for now, the Jagan's own aura intensified in the hazy limbo. Its curiosity mingled with his own, slowly overtaking the very last of his concern to feel everything around them.
 
None of the portals we or even Reikai can make are anything like this. Hiei reached out, brows furrowing as the thick mists twined around his fingers. It's alive?
 
“Do not fall behind, hybrid,” Sesshoumaru repeated the warning. “As intriguing as the souls that are trapped in this place are, they are lonely. Until they become accustomed to your passage beside this Sesshoumaru, they will attempt to devour your body and hold you here with them.”
 
“Why only me?” Hiei curled his hand into a fist and watched the tendrils reluctantly dissipate back into the pale mist.
 
“They know their own limitations,” Sesshoumaru answered simply. “However, the impression I have received from those foolish enough to try this path on their own is that the experience is unpleasant.”
 
Hiei was about to ask who had tried when a distinctly sardonic snort echoed through the air around them. Scowling darkly, his hand returned to his sword. All his senses focused outward in an effort to locate the source of that disturbance through the overwhelming ki of the Gateway.
 
“Just as full of shit as ever.”
 
I recognize that voice. Hiei relaxed minutely. Glancing up at Sesshoumaru to gauge his reaction to the taunt, and take his cue as to whether or not they were about to have a fight on their hands. Does the Gate empty into the Western Lands in Makai? They'd have to hide it somewhere to prevent someone from finding it by accident, wouldn't they?
 
Sesshoumaru's lips thinned in displeasure, but his stride never changed. Carrying them farther through the thick mist until it finally began to lose its substance. Little by little Hiei could make out the landscape ahead of them. His eyes slipped closed when that warmth permeating his body gave another heavy pulse. Tenseiga's distinctive ki collided with the souls around them, hissing softly as it burned the most tenacious of those grasping tendrils away.
 
Hiei opened his eyes at the echo of screams in his mind. Reflexively, he turned to find the source of those sounds as they stepped out of the barrier completely. Staring behind them, he could see the mist start to take shape. Souls roiling and tangled, they pulsed and reached out towards the boundary of their confines. Hate and loneliness poured out so heavily Hiei took a step back. His attention drawn up when the mist parted and gave him a view of the distant Gateway swinging closed.
 
He felt the Jagan narrow. Transfixed by the increasing shrieks of denial and misery teasing the edges of his senses the closer the Gates came to being shut. Meticulously processing the way the ancient doors seemed to fully absorb the fog of imprisoned souls into itself. Drawing them inexorably in on themselves to wait for the next time the door would open and set them free for just that moment…
 
“So you got a reason to be here, Sesshoumaru, or did you just miss my pretty face?” That same voice cut through Hiei's enthrallment, jarring his focus. Shaking his head slightly to clear it, Hiei gave the closed Gate on last curious look. Turning back only to find himself staring directly at Sesshoumaru's back.
 
Sesshoumaru sighed and sheathed Tenseiga with effortless grace. “Is it too much to ask that you show respect to your elders?”
 
“With you? Hell yes,” the other youkai drawled out easily. “The day I show you respect in private is the day I die a cold and miserable death in the lowest circles of the Hells.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru can easily arrange for that scenario.” Sesshoumaru folded his arms over his chest and glanced back over his shoulder.
 
Hiei could practically taste the curiosity that suddenly tainted the air. Even before the owner of that rough voice spoke up again. “Oi… you bring someone with you? Shippou said you sent that fucking wolf south to keep an eye on Kagome.”
 
Sesshoumaru ignored the accusation in his tone. Instead, he stepped causally to one side to allow Hiei and the youkai he'd been addressing to get a clear look at each other. Hiei blinked, eyes widening in faint surprise that was mirrored on the other youkai's face for entirely different reasons. Hiei didn't notice. His head tilted slightly to one side; fully absorbed in observing the similarities of this new youkai to the silent Sesshoumaru.
 
This youkai had the same silver hair, but his looked thicker. Rough and definitely more wild that Sesshoumaru. His eyes were larger, more open and definitely younger but the same intense gold. Only a single, jagged stripe followed his cheekbones. And this youkai was shorter than Sesshoumaru by a full head. For all their similarities, this youkai didn't seem nearly as elegant. Like the taiyoukai's attributes had been rearranged and formed a smaller, coarse version. To say nothing of the vibrations coming off their ki. Side by side, it was like trying to compare Yuusuke to Youko.
 
“Hybrid.” Sesshoumaru waited for Hiei's attention to shift to him before he continued. “This is the final living carrier of the Shikon-no-Tama that you have not met.”
 
“I was the first carrier, you pompous-!”
 
“I was not finished.” Sesshoumaru shot him a dark scowl to silence him. “He is also, unfortunately, the reason I have control of my miko. The younger brother of this Sesshoumaru.”
 
The youkai stuffed his hands up into the voluminous sleeves of his grey haori. He dipped his head once in acknowledgement to Sesshoumaru's introduction. Smirking arrogantly before he completed it. “Inuyasha.”
 
 
:………:
 
 
Kurama drowsily stroked his fingertips back and forth along the curve of Kagome's hip. Holding his head propped up on his other hand, he stared down at her and simply basked in the feel of her body pressed against his. Letting out a lazy sigh, he slid back down to rest his chin on her shoulder. Looping his arm around her waist to realign their hips and prevent any loss of contact.
 
`You know, I can feel that sloppy grin,' Youko chuckled richly at his behavior. But Kurama paid no mind to the light-hearted teasing. The kitsune stretched himself sinuously through their soul before taking care to blend them again. Turning their face to rub their cheek over her hair before drawling out, `Admit it, Kurama. We needed that.'
 
You're right. I feelreally good. He pressed a lingering kiss to her nape, smiling against her skin when she reflexively shifted into their touch.
 
`You feel better than “good,” you cocky little jackass.' Youko snorted, splaying his fingers as he elongated their nails to his claws with careful precision. Tracing the tips in absent caresses across her stomach as he scolded, `She could have gone again. Why did we let her fall asleep?'
 
Kurama could help but laugh softly at the blatant impatience. Youko, it's the first day of our vacation. Let Kagome sleep now. We'll have sex with her again when she wakes up on her own.
 
Youko sulked briefly, but let the matter slide the longer they stared possessively down at her face. `I told you she would be absolutely delicious.'
 
I never argued with that, Kurama reminded him. StillI'm amazed you didn't force the pregnancy the first time. His gaze turned introspective with his thoughts as their claws went from caressing to a distracted pattern on her pale skin. I was so sure you would.
 
`Soon.' Youko shrugged, lightly grasping her hip to keep them together as he bent their knees. He smiled when Kagome sighed in her sleep and tried to burrow down even closer to their warmth. `But it would have been in poor taste to be so hasty when we want to have an extended relationship. We have time enough yet… one of the nights she starts it. Then I'll know it's the right one.'
 
Kurama inwardly shook his head in amusement at Youko's rather unique ideas of morality. You'll know that she's ready to have a baby because she seduces you?
 
`I've decided. I do want a boy first.' Youko completely ignored Kurama's taunt as his imagination traveled down a path he felt was infinitely more interesting. `He can look just like meShould he have blue eyes or gold?'
 
What the hell's wrong with green? Kurama frowned sharply at the deliberate exclusion. Dammit, how many times are we going to have to go over this? It's my baby too, Youko.
 
`Oh fine, fine,' Youko tsked. `He can have green eyes. But he's getting my face.'
 
Our face.
 
Youko was quiet a moment before offering, `Janken Pon?'
 
You cheat, Kurama denied the challenge flatly.
 
`It's not my fault you don't shield your thoughts from me properly,' Youko retorted primly.
 
Ch. Kurama sighed and inwardly rolled his eyes at the childish antics. Reflexively turning his attention back to Kagome only to tense in alarm and let out a furious snarl, YOUKO!!
 
The black vine curling around the miko's hip snapped back into their hand with such rapid force it nearly knocked Kurama's arm off her completely. Leaving behind a nearly invisible trail of pink against her skin everywhere it had touched. Youko gave him the distinct impression of sitting calmly. Hands clasped together in his lap as though nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. `What?' he queried, keeping his tone a perfect study in harmless innocence.
 
Don't you dare try that with me, I saw what you were doing! Kurama forcefully took control of their body, blunting their nails and putting Youko on a tighter rein. No! I absolutely forbid you from doing that. Do you understand?
 
Youko frowned tightly. `You forbid me? It's going to happen sooner or later, Kurama. You can't stop it. Especially not with a few cheap words and angry glares. Or are you forgetting who taught you how to be intimidating in the first place? I am far from impressed by your sudden flash of misplaced conscience.'
 
You think she won't notice that? he gritted out with a jerky motion towards the vines' trail.
 
`That's something of the point, you know.'
 
Not yet, Youko, Kurama sternly denied. What in all the levels of Hells has gotten into you? That's not funny!
 
`Who said I was being funny?' Youko growled out, easily surpassing Kurama's severity. `I happen to be perfectly serious.'
 
Kurama went quiet, staring at Kagome's face in disbelief as Youko's words seemed to echo through his mind. He could feel Youko tug at their hand. Curling his youki through it to take control of the motion as Kurama watched with a strangely detached fascination. Their hand slid up the side of her body, skimming across the skin he was becoming so familiar with until they were trailing their fingers over her cheek.
 
Sooner or later
 
`Why do you want to stop me anyway?' Youko sighed and continued the caress down her throat and farther. Putting Kurama's arguments out of his mind, he slid their hand back to her stomach with that same unhurried satisfaction. `You want to keep her too.'
 
Just because she's finally letting us draw her into a serious relationship, it doesn't mean we should immediately take it to this level, Kurama insisted firmly.
 
`Neither of us will allow any other man in her life this way. Not now that we're here.' Youko insinuated his youki up under Kurama's chin and over his throat with invisible fingers, squeezing to put emphasis on his words. `And if you think I will let you and your human ideals threaten what I want to have with her, you're mistaken.'
 
Kurama's jaw tightened in frustration, and he repeated again, We can't rush this.
 
`If you move too slowly, she'll get away,' Youko retorted, letting his claws slide down Kurama's throat in a way that made their body shiver. `She's fighting herself, Kurama. We have to defeat what's holding her back, and if we hesitate, it will only become more difficult. There is no enemy more dangerous or formidable than regret allowed to grow inside a woman's heart. I will not let you give her time to think of reasons she should reject us.'
 
Kagome made a vague sound of discomfort, momentarily putting an end to their discussion. She twisted around, rolling onto her back before turning towards him. Reaching out in her sleep until her hand brushed his waist and gave her a measure of his position. Youko's irritation started to fade under a wash of affectionate amusement at the way she cuddled up to their chest and relaxed back into easy slumber.
 
Kurama sighed, unable to hold his own agitation. Smiling down at Kagome, he wrapped his arm around her back and shifted her into a better position against them. This time he didn't bother to stop Youko from guiding their hand down her spine. Maybe you're right. But we can't do everything your way. We have to know when to back off too. This is too important to get overzealous about, Youko.
 
Youko made a noncommittal sound and suddenly paused. Brows furrowing, he ignored Kurama's concerns and spread his fingers wide across her back. `Sit up.'
 
What? Kurama blinked in confusion at the brusque command.
 
`Sit the fuck up.'
 
There was something in the kitsune's voice that gave him pause, but at the same time, had Kurama obeying without question. Youko was simmering too close to the surface. All hint of relaxation and playfulness gone under intense concentration. He actively mingled their youki as Kurama obediently eased away from Kagome. Reaching out, he brushed a calming hand over her cheek when she made a sleepy grunt of protest. But even Youko patiently waited until she had calmed before they slowly encouraged her to lie on her stomach and exposed her back.
 
Kurama had barely had time to note the decidedly arcane symbol disrupting the pale skin when his body lurched. His hand came up, pressing over his heart in reflex at the sudden, violent expansion of his youki. He gritted his teeth, slumping forward and struggling to stave off their body's attempt to accommodate it. A shudder rippled down his spine. Claws digging into his chest under a wash of vertigo until he hissed, Youko!
 
`Breathe. You're going to make us pass out.'
 
Not so much! Kurama seethed when the kitsune resisted his efforts to calm them, silver streaking through his hair. Fuck, Youko, get a hold of this youki!
 
`Are you seeing this? Are you even looking at what's in front of us? Or are you too busy trying to practice your goddamn paternal instincts on me?' Youko challenged darkly. `Now do as I say and look. These are scars, Kurama.'
 
I'm a little more concerned stopping you before we change, Kurama growled back at him furiously. Are you forgetting what Sesshoumaru said to us? We have to use MY body, Youko, not yours!
 
`These are old scars.' Youko brushed off the reminder. Forcefully, he took control of their hand again and very precisely traced the largest circle of the elaborate image on her back. `Sharp linesThere's no way in any layer of the hells that these were accidental. Someone took a lot of time to cut this into her when she was practically a child.'
 
Kurama's back arched, swallowing a deep growl when he felt his bones shift. A tingle spread down his spine. Muscles and tendons tried to stretch and reshape under the force of youki flowing just below their skin. YoukoCalm down! Kagome is fine. She's very much alive and sleeping right here in our bed! He forced them to pull back before they accidentally brushed too much of the volatile energy across Kagome's aura. Not wanting her to wake while he was struggling with the angry kitsune. Fucking gods, just relax! Do you want to wake her up just because you're having a temper tantrum over something that obviously happened a long time ago?
 
Youko said nothing. But the jyaki straining their system and making their body hover between forms grudgingly backed down.
 
Kurama held himself carefully still as his body recovered. Anxiously, he waited to see if Youko was just playing tricks to get his way. But after several minutes of silence, Kurama allowed his guard to relax little by little. After he was certain it really was a sign of peace, Kurama didn't stop Youko from reaching out to Kagome again.
 
The kitsune exhaled heavily in a show of both displeasure and exertion against Kurama's control as he trailed his fingers along the patterns. But his indignation rapidly gave way to curiosity when he calmed himself and started to really look at the lines. Their brow furrowed, and they leaned forward. More purposefully following the ancient design and murmuring now and then over a vaguely familiar symbol or mark. Until Youko let out a victorious laugh and pressed the tip of one finger over the smallest inner circle. `CleverOh yes, they think they're very clever.'
 
Kurama blinked at the dry tone, confused at Youko's reaction. Who thinks they're clever?
 
`That family,' Youko clarified, much more focused on studying the symbol in it entirety. `The pattern is different from anything I've ever seen. But these are spells. There was powerful magic underneath all this. Making spells and seals. And some of it iswriting?'
 
Writing? Kurama tilted his head. What do you mean? What kind of writing?
 
Youko absently mixed them together, moving their arm as one. He slowly caressed each individual character, as though reading the lines from a book or scroll. `There wasa great force balanced and locked away for all eternity within itself?”'
 
It says that? Just like that? Hell, did they write part of the legend on her back? Kurama frowned at vague wording. His own attention snared, he leaned forward and listened to Youko grumble through reading the rest of the odd marks. Is that still Japanese?
 
`Some of it is at least,' Youko murmured. Shaking his head, he abandoned the writing in favor of tracing the lines of scars scattered through it. `Most of it is pieces of forgotten languages. Inhuman things that were already dying when I was born,' his voice trailed off.
 
How did they get on a miko from this era? Kurama frowned.
 
`That is the real question, isn't it?' Youko rested his palm over the heart of the design, taking comfort in the steady beat he could sense through that contact. `Even then, it's the feel of this that bothers me. Almost like thousands of spirits were leading the hand that drew it into place. But that doesn't make any sense. Possessions on such a massive scale destroy the host body. They never work in conjunction peacefully enough to engrave such detailed work in anything. The marks they leave to show their passing are always roughviolent.'
 
What about this? Kurama slid their hand down off the tiny scars to touch the oddly symmetrical lines along her ribs. They aren't clean lines like the others.
 
`They were made later.' Youko's frown deepened, tilting their head and intently studying the oddly symmetrical scars before passing his judgment. `Those look like they came from claws. But there's only one vibrationone youkai.'
 
Kurama paused at the strange note in Youko's voice. Tilting his head, he backed off that topic until he was sure the kitsune was in a less volatile mood. Pushing that aside for now, he splayed his fingers to match the scars. Calculating how and why those wounds could have been made. She had to have been facing the demon. Unless it had wrapped around her somehow?
 
`The angle isn't right for that.' Youko muttered to himself and shifted closer to align both hands until he had a feel for the most likely cause of injury. `She was pulledaway from the source? The youkai that made those was trying to pull her towards it. The lines start deep and end shallowThese were made fast.'
 
What about this here? It's only on the left side. Kurama curiously reached under Kagome to feel the size of irregular scar.
 
`Lean over, there isn't much we can tell without seeing it.' Youko shook his head in exasperation and gave him a push. `It wasn't as precise and the skin is soft, so it's old as well. There's a faint depression. It-' he trailed off as soon as they had maneuvered enough to get a clear look.
 
It-? Kurama urged, frowning as he traced the outline. It almost looks like a shark bite, but it's too small.
 
`It's still a bite.' Youko took a deep, calming breath against the urge to let out a string of expletives. `A youkai with a faintly humanoid mouth. That's why the size is what it is. But it had hold of her long enough to tear out a chunk.'
 
Do you think youkai were fighting over her? Kurama stroked a gentle hand down her spine. As though he could soothe away the pain she had suffered before. And coincidentally, attempting to calm their own agitation at the clear signs of injury.
 
`It's the most likely reason.' Youko nodded, leaning them down and pressing an open-mouthed kiss to the center of the intricate design. `What were they thinking? How could Sesshoumaru let her get this close to being killed? If a youkai had hold of her like that-'
 
You said the scars were old, Kurama reminded him before Youko could work himself back into his original temper. And she said a hanyou saved her life when she was young. This may have been how they found her in the first place.
 
The kitsune closed their eyes. Resting their forehead between her shoulder blades to soak in the feel of her vitality and settle his senses. He turned over the logics of that possibility until the rest of the tension began to ease out of their body. Kurama breathed a sigh of relief as Youko's agitation finally faded enough that it lost its dangerous edge.
 
`Sesshoumaru still owes us answers for this.' Youko lowered them back down to lie at Kagome's side. Reaching out and gathering her into their arms. He turned her back onto her side and tucked her possessively against their chest. `If this is how they found her, I want to know. I want to know what did this to her and he'd better not try to hide this under our agreement about that stupid fucking rock.'
 
Kurama's eyes closed at the feel of their youki twining around her body. He couldn't resist taking a brief moment to openly indulge in their mutual pleasure. Using a portion of Youko's signature ki to restore them to a less volatile state, he propped his chin up on one hand. Kurama smoothed her hair away from her face before lowering that hand to rest absently on her stomach yet again. We could ask Kagome. She had to know we would see all this when we started having sex. So it stands to reason that she probably intended to tell us about what attacked her anyway.
 
Youko made a vague, indecipherable sound and returned their attention to her hair to slide their fingers through it. Opening their eyes, he let their gaze roam over her body at leisure. Lingering at the crescent Sesshoumaru had obviously branded onto her shoulder. He exhaled heavily in frustration and slid their arm around her waist to drag her forward until her head was tucked snugly under their chin. `As interesting as all this is, it still doesn't fit with anything else we know.'
 
We're still missing too many pieces to the puzzle. Kurama didn't bother pretending he'd misunderstood Youko's complaint. All of the important ones that probably tie all our loose ends together.
 
`Houshi-sama is an incredible artist after all.' Youko snorted and shook his head. His tone was more respectful than Kurama could ever recall when he chuckled and continued. `The only flaws to his little mystery are in the living. Human error. And they are all performing their assigned parts remarkably well.'
 
You sound entirely too happy about that. Kurama could feel his lips twitch in amusement.
 
Youko rolled his eyes, turning his nose up loftily and chiding, `Ch. This is going to become my family. This bloodline is the one I picked to mingle with my own to make my children. You're damn right I'm happy about the talents they display.'
 
Kurama did chuckle out loud this time at the smug pride in the kitsune's answer. Dipping his head, he pressed a gentle kiss below Kagome's ear. Youko immediately redirected his thoughts and started to whisper his suggestions. Prodding at him that it would do wonders to their mood to reaffirm her health and vitality more directly. Not to mention, it was well past time to urge her awake again.
 
`Slowly though.' Youko instructed sternly when Kurama didn't seem to be voicing any disagreements. `I want lazy sex.'
 
Lazy sex? Kurama repeated in disbelief.
 
`Honestly, you act like such a human sometimes. I swear you do it just to piss me off.' Youko muttered in annoyance over what he viewed as being deliberately obtuse. `Lazy sex, Kurama. The slow way? Like you're almost half-asleep? The kind of sex where you aren't in any hurry?'
 
Kurama blinked, struggling not to burst out laughing at the description and unintentionally jar Kagome awake. And you call thatlazy sex.”
 
`What's wrong with that?'
 
Most humans refer to that as romantic,” Youko, not lazy.
 
`Most humans are idiots and incapable of appreciating the intricate beauty of seduction. And don't even start on the travesty they try to call foreplay,' Youko retorted with a soft growl of distaste. `They're practically hopeless in bed. Much like your only saving grace is myself.'
 
If you pass that attitude along to our son, I will figure out a way to beat the shit out of you. Kurama warned him.
 
`Psh.' Youko gave him the clear impression of flicking a rather arrogant, dismissive gesture. `As if you could ever find-'
 
The faint trill of phone cut off what Kurama suspected would have been one of Youko's prime insults. Dispersing the tension between the two instantly in exchange for their mutual displeasure aimed down at the offending noise. Kurama barely registered the growl echoing so clearly through him from Youko as they reluctantly rolled away from Kagome. Reaching down, he held out his hand expectantly and nodded when the cell phone was obediently delivered by a slender vine.
 
Kurama quickly opened the phone before it could ring again. Sitting up carefully and bringing his other hand to rest on Kagome's shoulder in an instinctive effort to keep her comfortable enough to stay asleep.
 
“Speak quietly,” he murmured into the phone. Turning his head just enough to more effectively shield Kagome from the sound. “If you wake my lover, I'll kill you in ways you can't possibly imagine.”
 
There was a beat of silence before the caller recovered. “Well you certainly didn't waste any fucking time, did you?”
 
Kurama made a face, feeling a dull ache start right at the base of his skull. “Takashima.”
 
If you're having sex with my sister, be respectful,” Shippou hissed at him. “And don't play stupid with me. You know exactly what I'm talking about.”
 
“My mistake, Shippou-chan.”
 
Youko, enough.
 
`He's interrupting,' Youko returned stubbornly. `I'm not going to cater to his pissy mood any more than he intends to cater to me. Relax, Kurama. Shippou and I understand each other much more than you do.'
 
How long has she been sleeping?
 
Kurama sighed and settled in for the tried and true method of speaking while ignoring the snide commentary Youko had taken up in the back of their mind. “Almost three hours now. And before you ask, yes, we had dinner first. I made sure it was fresh enough to be good for her personally.”
 
I'm amazed you found the time,” Shippou drawled in open mockery. “Did you manage to wait a whole hour before dragging her off to the bedroom?
 
“Let's say you might want to tell the maid to be thorough in the kitchen,” Youko answered with a smirk that was all wicked retaliation. “We cleaned up as best we could, but it was difficult not to be distracted in the process.”
 
You can be such an ass.
 
`You're irritated enough not to be making any effort to stop me,' Youko pointed out nonchalantly.
 
Shippou let out a growl of censure. “Don't be crass, that's family you're talking about.”
 
“Well, at least you're right about that, little kit,” Kurama let Youko color their tone to inject a deeper innuendo. Shifting back until his back was flush against the wall, he tilted his head. Holding the phone with his shoulder and gently moving Kagome with him until her head was pillowed on his thigh.
 
Kurama could hear Shippou stand through the phone. The scrape of a chair against the floor sounded almost painfully loud in the taut silence. Footsteps made a low, steady rhythm until something clicked. And the sound changed to the familiar rustle of grass and the evening breeze.
 
Youko chuckled inside their head. `It's about time he started taking us seriously.'
 
“Still with me? Red?” Kurama emphasized the nickname Shippou had used for him time and again.
 
Kiss my ass, I'm going somewhere more private,” Shippou growled into the phone. “Then you're going to repeat what you said.”
 
“Be thorough in the kitchen?” he purposefully misinterpreted the command.
 
I can have Kouga there in twenty minutes. Tops,” Shippou warned, the creak of branches drifting through the phone. “You want me to keep this between kitsune, you'll stop being a smartass and talk to me without the bullshit.”
 
`Ooh, we definitely pissed him off this time.' Youko dipped their head despite knowing the younger kitsune couldn't see the gesture. `How utterly delightful.'
 
“Don't tell me you believed that nonsense Kouga was spouting off about me losing interest in my precious lover so quickly.” Kurama rested his hand on Kagome's head. Smiling down at her when her arm slid across his waist and she cuddled closer. “You were obviously listening the first time I tried to introduce myself. What did you think my intentions were?”
 
He could have sworn he heard Shippou grinding his teeth. “If this is your idea of a joke to piss me off, I'm going to rip out your soul and lock it in a holy place to make sure you never get out to bother us again.”
 
“You would really want Kagome's children to grow up without their father?” Kurama fingers slowed as they traced up the slope of her shoulder. “It would be so tragic to see kitsune kits raised by an inu, even if he is a taiyoukai. Who knows how suppressed and confused their natural instincts would be?”
 
If Kagome is pregnant­, you-!
 
“Please,” Kurama cut him off with a low growl. “You think you have any say in what she and I decide to do on our vacation?”
 
What the fuck are you playing at, Kurama?” Shippou's voice was nearly lost under his deep-throated growl.
 
“Don't make light of my emotions unless you're prepared to take responsibility for the consequences, Shippou,” Youko leaned more of himself into them and smiled. “You're still too young to know when the game has gone over your head.”
 
Your emotions?” Shippou's suspicion was obvious.
 
“I'm not going to repeat myself unnecessarily. It's your fault if you don't listen when I speak.” Kurama's eyes closed briefly when Kagome rubbed her cheek on his hip. “I told you, Kagome is sleeping. And if you force me to speak so loudly that she wakes up, I won't be pleased. And I promise it will come out of your ass the next time I see you.”
 
You fucking split-souled bastard excuse for an avatar! There's no way you're as serious about being there with her as you're suggesting!” Shippou snapped at him with a little more force than he'd originally intended. Biting back several crass remarks and taking a deep breath to calm himself before speaking again. “What possible emotional attachment could you possibly think you have with my sister in such a short period of time?
 
“From a human, that's impolite but somewhat expected.” Kurama slid his hand down to rest on her back again, idly stroking back and forth. “Coming from another kitsune, it's downright fucking offensive.”
 
You're too old to come to this kind of decision suddenly,” Shippou accused.
 
“I never said I made it suddenly.” Kurama stretched his legs and sighed. His eyes flashed and the vine resting on the nightstand roused. Shaking itself before obediently reaching across the bed to straighten the blankets. Passing them up high enough for Kurama to take and tuck around Kagome when it had arranged them to their satisfaction. A warm smile softened his expression, cupping her cheek in his hand. “I have been looking for Kagome for quite some time.”
 
Shippou was silent again, and Kurama simply waited for the younger kitsune to gather his thoughts. We really should have had this discussion with him face to face.
 
`True, however, he called us and he started it.' Youko shrugged aside the disappointment in Kurama's voice. `I would have preferred having it somewhere he could vent without running the possibility of bothering Kagome.'
 
Meaning you would have preferred we do this in the open so he can try to attack us? Kurama drawled out.
 
`We are going to end up on the nasty side of a tantrum from him soon enough in this matter.' Youko watched calmly as his rose spread its vines under Kagome's hair. Lightly tugging the trapped locks out from under her and carefully spreading it across the pillows. `He's used to being the most important kitsune in her life. It's not a position any self-respecting kit would give up without a fight.'
 
Even though he's just claiming to be her brother? Kurama frowned slightly.
 
`Use the head I gave you for something other than looking pretty,” Youko scolded him sternly. `We've seen how he hovers over her, and how direct he was in making sure we knew he was our opponent.'
 
It's almost like some sort of separation anxiety, he talked out, not wasting the time it would take to respond to the insult. I'd guess her first husband had kept them apart, but Shippou already said he was close to Miroku.
 
`Kurabara did say she was out of the country.' Youko turned over everything they knew. `If Sesshoumaru forced him to stay here when he thought she needed him, it could have given him a bit of a complex.'
 
Why Kagome?” Shippou finally spoke again. “How did you find her?
 
Kurama arched an eyebrow in subconscious arrogance. Unaware of the way all his motions had become so much more elegant in response to the undertone of that demand. “Actually, Shippou-chan, you led me right to her.”
 
What?
 
“My friends and I were interrupted one day by an investigator on skates running away from a youkai salaryman.” He cupped the rose in his palm briefly to infuse it with more youki. “Imagine my surprise when he fled past a temple with a beautiful woman watching him from the doorway. She had the most incredible hands.”
 
When-?” Shippou hissed.
 
Kurama cut him off, “Of course, I almost hesitated too much. I thought the trail had gone too cold to find her. Until my friend Yuusuke happened to run into someone who dropped a few interesting pictures.”
 
“You have my pictures-!
 
“Ah, then it was you. I thought it may have been after I found out you were a kitsune,” Kurama pointedly lowered his voice when he thought Shippou was getting too loud. “They're very lovely. Do you have any more?”
 
Not that you'll see anytime soon.” Shippou quickly dropped his volume, but it was easy to hear the thick displeasure in his tone at doing so.
 
“That's a pity.” Kurama sighed with perfectly feigned sadness. “Those are my favorites in my collection at the moment.”
 
Do you have any idea how much I fucking hate you right now?” Shippou ground out.
 
“I can take a guess.”
 
You still haven't told me why.” Shippou took a deep breath and let it out slowly in an effort to regain some measure of control. “Wanting her is one thing. You're talking about something else entirely.”
 
“Do you find it so hard to believe that I decided I wanted more from her than something casual?” Kurama brushed the back of his knuckles across her cheek. “You obviously saw something special in her too.”
 
She's my family.”
 
“I know that.” Kurama was mildly surprised at the way Youko helped softened their answer. Making a note to ask about it later, he expounded, “But I want to make her part of mine too.”
 
I should come down there and kick your ass, you know that,” Shippou spat out a humorless laugh. “What are you telling her?
 
“The truth.” Kurama's brows drew together in annoyance at the suggestion of anything else. “Be careful, Shippou. There's only so far I'll let you push out of respect for your relationship with Kagome. If you continue to insult me, don't think I won't handle it more directly.”
 
Suck it up, lover, I'm still within my rights.”
 
“Hopefully you've grown out of this by the time your first nephew is born.” Kurama clucked his tongue in disapproval. “I'd hate to think of what bad traits you'd try to teach him just to make your sister angry with me.”
 
He could hear the phone creak in protest at just how tightly Shippou was clenching it. “Stop joking around about something so important.”
 
Kurama's eyes flared scarlet before he could contain himself. He bit down hard on his lip at the urge to let out a full-blown snarl that would most certainly wake his sleeping miko. Several deep breaths later, he had his darker instincts under control. Forcing his voice to stay soft and even despite speaking through clenched teeth, “Why is it so difficult for your entire family to take my intentions toward Kagome seriously?”
 
Do I really need to answer that?
 
“Listen to me very carefully, because this is the last time I'm going to say this to you without getting very, very angry.” Kurama could feel his claws elongate. “This is not just a kitsune fling, a curiosity, or a fetish of mine. I have told Kagome that I want a more serious relationship. With or without your agreement, she and I are going to be married in front of our families. We are going to have as many children as we decide we want. And I am going to become more precious to her than any of you selfish little bastards can imagine.”
 
Kagome is never going to love you so much that she would pick you over us.”
 
“Do you think I'm so stupid that I would ask her to do that?” Kurama leaned his head back against the wall, calming his growing temper when the rose eased out of Kagome's hair and reached for him with an inquiring hum. “Or even expect it?”
 
That all depends on you, doesn't it?
 
Youko frowned in bemusement, absently reaching out to stroke Kagome's shoulder again. `His perception of our character is coming from nothing but his own frustration and upset emotions.'
 
Of course it is. Kurama shrugged.
 
`No, noHe's not even trying to be analytical.' Youko gave him a hard prod for missing the point. `Pay attention. Now, I would expect this from a child thinking he's going to get pushed aside for a new kit. Not a brother. Why is he refusing our connection to Kagome so violently?'
 
You're the one always telling me I'm not paying close enough attention to kitsune behavior, Youko, you tell me. Kurama wearily raked a hand through his hair. This is starting to grate on my nerves. Brother or not.
 
“Anyone with half an iota of intelligence can see that asking Kagome to stop loving someone from her chosen family would be like asking her to cut off a part of her body,” Kurama made sure the full weight of his disapproval for Shippou's attitude was behind his words. “I'm not asking her to forget her husband or anyone else she loves.”
 
`We just intend to become the one she loves most in the future.'
 
I'll kill you before I let you hurt her.”
 
Kurama tucked one knee up to his chest, moving with care and keeping an eye on Kagome to be certain it wasn't disturbing her. “It's late. I'll tell Kagome you've called to check on her, but I'm not going to wake her up just to listen to you bicker about something that you have no control over. She's in excellent hands.”
 
Shippou let out a snort of disgust at the blatant redirection. “You aren't good enough for Kagome.”
 
“We'll speak more when my lover and I return from our vacation, Shippou.” Kurama didn't acknowledge the threat beyond that. Pulling the phone away from his ear and turning it off completely before Shippou could respond.
 
Part of him wanted to fling the irritating thing out the window. But the rational side to his thoughts argued that it would likely bring Kouga right back from wherever the wolf had gone on the excuse of finding out why. Regretfully, he leaned over and set the phone on the nightstand very precisely.
 
“He means well.”
 
`Dammit.'
 
Kurama echoed the curse. Sitting up and tilting his head to look down at Kagome. But a faint smile still crossed his face when he saw her just barely peeking up at him with one eye. “I was trying not to wake you.”
 
Kagome shrugged, yawning and tightening her arm around his hips in a brief embrace. “It was a nice try. But you were throwing off some heavy vibes there. And Shippou was practically glowing through the phone.”
 
“He's less that happy with me,” Kurama offered apologetically.
 
`Not like it isn't mutual,' Youko drawled out.
 
“Shippou's father was murdered when he was still too young to be left alone.” Kagome offered the explanation for his behavior. Closing her eyes, she rolled onto her back and tucked one arm up under her head. The rose let out a squeak and stretched to rub under her chin, chittering happily when she gave in and pet it.
 
Kurama winced slightly in disappointment. Well that answers that.
 
`Ask her more about him,' Youko impatiently ordered, trying to downplay his own reaction to that bit of clarification. `How did they meet? Why did Shippou attach himself to a stranger like her after that kind of trauma in his youth?'
 
“How did you meet him?” Kurama braced his elbow on the bed and turned towards her.
 
Kagome cracked one eye open and smiled at the show of interest. “Shippou? He tried to steal a necklace from me when I was fifteen. He thought it would make him strong enough to kill the youkai that were desecrating his father's pelt.”
 
Youko's brows shot up. `DesecratingFuck. No wonder he was trying to steal a miko charm right off her neck.'
 
“A dear friend and I helped him to kill the youkai and put his father's soul to rest.” She looked down at her hand, curling her fingers as she relived that memory. “You know, that was the first time I ever felt foxfire.”
 
Kurama reached out and covered her hand with his. “Did he attack you?”
 
“No, no, nothing like that,” Kagome denied quickly, lacing her fingers with his. “His father used the last of himself to shield us from an attack. That's how I felt it. Shippou's been with me ever since.”
 
Youko made a sound of understanding. `Dammit all, that's why he's so neurotic. It's personal. Shippou's father entrusted him into her care.'
 
So when he says she's his family-
 
`He means it literally.' Youko let their eyes flash brighter gold. `Whether he told her or not, that's why he says she was his before she was Sesshoumaru's.'
 
Their thoughts were interrupted when Kagome reached out and cupped his cheek. Blinking and focusing on her face again when she leaned up and kissed him to soften any lingering ill will. “So cut him some slack if he seems a bit clingy, hm?”
 
Kurama leaned forward to keep their mouths touching when she would have pulled away. Letting Youko direct their answer, “Shippou and I understand each other, lover, you don't need to worry about our interactions. If I didn't like him, I wouldn't put so much energy into annoying him.”
 
“I feel so much better,” Kagome's voice was thick with sarcasm.
 
“I do try.” Kurama smiled and kissed her forehead. Waiting for her to lean into him before he slid his hand up to the center of her back. “But then… there are a number of things I'd rather be asking you about than your brother.”

Kagome felt the pulse run through her body. Whispers chasing through her mind as the souls deep inside roused at the strength in his prodding fingers. She reigned in her aura quickly, burying the dissatisfaction before Kurama could pick up on it. Easyeasy, you knew he would see. He's too curious and too perverted not to. Sesshoumaru discussed this with us, remember?
 
“Imagine my surprise.” He dipped his head to whisper his inquiry into her ear with every ounce of charm at his disposal, “Who attacked you and put these marks onto you, little lover?”
 
“It probably looks worse than it was,” Kagome assured him, cursing the way his voice slid over her senses. She tilted her head down, sliding one hand up into his hair to subtly off-balance his own reception of her answers. “There was an accident back when I had just gotten out of high school. I was standing in just the wrong spot and caught the worst of it. There was a lot of glass… in my back.”
 
Youko clucked his tongue even as he leaned them into her touch.
 
What's wrong?
 
Youko frowned at the question. He splayed their fingers wide between her shoulder blades to cover a number of the tiny scars and repeated, `Glass.'
 
You don't believe her? Kurama brushed his fingertips curiously over the raised lines.
 
`Maybe…' Youko shook his head. `It might be nothing. But it just doesn't feel like the full truth. Not to mention the spells and the inscription. Ask her whose idea it was to cover her scars like that.'
 
“The symbol on your back wasn't made by glass, Kagome.” Kurama lifted his head enough to see her face. “Neither were these.” He moved his hand down to the claw-marks, fighting the instinct to pull his hand away when she flinched. “Or this. Something attacked you. Probably even could have killed you.”
 
“Not that time.” Kagome bit her own tongue when she saw the dark look flicker through his eyes the flippant remark. “That's not what I meant to say.”
 
“I don't doubt that.”
 
Youko-
 
`Quiet.'
 
“There was a youkai that wouldn't let go of me,” Kagome expounded on her poorly worded comment with a grimace for her own mistake. “Sesshoumaru pulled me out of the way and this happened. I'm human, Kurama. Sometimes youkai forget that our skin isn't as strong and we won't heal as quickly if you try the fast way to get out of a bad situation. But there wasn't any other way he could have handled it.” And sometimes you have to take an injury if you don't want to end up dead. Or worse.
 
Kurama sighed at the troubled look that entered her eyes. Rolling them over until Kagome was lying under him. He waited for her to look and meet his eye before he scolded lightly, “Don't think I'm going to expect you were never hurt fighting youkai. Or that I don't think you are capable of doing so,” he stopped her quickly when she seemed ready to argue. “I just want to know how they happened.”
 
Kagome blinked and tilted her head slightly. “Are you fishing for bedtime stories, Kurama? Because if you are, you owe me for the ones you've already talked out of me.”
 
“You would have something of an advantage asking me about that sort of thing, all things considered.” Kurama flashed her a grin and slowly rested more of his weight on her. Bracing his upper body on his forearms to still be able to look down at her with ease, he shook his head. “But no, I'm not fishing for stories. I just want to know why the youkai who claim to protect you let you be injured seriously.”
 
“Sometimes fighting means getting hurt.” Kagome sighed and slid her hands up over his ribs. Stroking the well-defined muscle along his sides and across his back as she muttered, “Stop trying to make me feel guilty when I know you understand that perfectly well.”
 
Youko chuckled at the not-so-subtle hint and gave in for now when her hands brushed down the curve of their backside. `Well, if she would rather play, I suppose we can put this discussion off for a later time.'
 
You're completely shameless, you know that right? Kurama closed his eyes, savoring the feel of her fingers forming caresses with more direct intent.
 
`Would you rather talk when she's indicating she has much more important things on her mind as well?' Youko challenged, shoving at him impatiently until Kurama gave in and brushed their cheek across hers the way he wanted. `Weren't you the one telling me it's the first day of our vacation? That we shouldn't be so worried about rushing things? We have time enough to unravel this puzzle with all the care it deserves.'
 
This coming from the same creature who forgot why we were letting Kagome sleep? Kurama pointedly reminded him.
 
`That's entirely different. Carelessness with a puzzle of Houshi-sama's expert composition means lost pieces, and everything in this matter is necessary.' Youko turned up his nose. `It's that human impatience getting us into trouble.'
 
And what do you call your impatience? Kurama inwardly shook his head at Youko's defensiveness.
 
`Unnecessary deprivation.'
 
You and I are going to have a serious discussion about the way you bend the truth to suit you once she's sleeping again. Kurama made that exasperated promise as he shifted his weight to one side enough to balance and bring his hand to her chin.
 
`A youkai has to have his priorities.'
 
Knowing full well there was no way to get Youko out of the mood rapidly overtaking him, Kurama decided it wasn't worth the effort to try. Besides, for once they were in complete agreement over their priorities. And they lent their influence equally into the teasing murmur, “No? Not even a little? You're so cute when you're feeling guilty.”
 
Kagome retaliated with a quick swat across his backside.
 
“Ow!” Did she just-? Kurama trailed off, staring down at her in surprise before it melted into Youko's wicked smile.
 
`Don't stare at her like an idiot, get her back for that!'
 
“You were asking for that.” Kagome gave him a particularly superior look.
 
Kurama arched an eyebrow, easing the separation and letting Youko blend more thoroughly through him. A quick, speaking glance at the rose had it unenthusiastically moving back out of Kagome's hair. Spreading across the wall to feed off the rise in youki as its master turned a decidedly predatory smile on his little miko's face. “Was I?”
 
“Most definitely.” Kagome had to fight to keep her expression mild when everything in her wanted to laugh at how easily he had let the matter drop. Especially when it was regarding something that had to be so incredibly interesting to a kitsune his age. She took her lower lip lightly in her teeth in an unsuccessful attempt to hold in her widening smile. Threading her fingers through his hair, she tugged his head down until his forehead touched hers.
 
“Well, you don't think we'll lie here and take that kind of malicious abuse, do you?” Kurama clucked his tongue in disapproval. Sliding one arm underneath her and insinuating one of his knees between hers to knudge them apart.
 
“Technically, you aren't the one who's lying here-” Kagome started, giggling into his mouth when Kurama cut her off with a deep kiss.