Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Scars ❯ Morning Owl ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scars
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha … And for latter chapters I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Harry Potter… Wish I did though
Here's the full summary: She lost everything to Naraku; her love, friends, family. Now forced to start a new life with the group of children from the feudal Era, she finds that all that they had worked for may have been for naught. Now in a new setting, with a new goal, new friends and a new twist to her enemy, she must fight for the world once again. IY, YYH, HP Xover.
Chapter 2
 
Kagome awoke to the feeling of something being wrong. Having learned in the Feudal Era to trust such feelings, she quickly took stock of her surroundings. She relaxed slightly once she counted the sleeping bodies around her and came to the conclusion that all five children were still there. Then some strange, inner instinct made her look up. She was not surprised to see the tree looming high above her silhouetted by the morning sun. She was surprised to see the pair of bright yellow eyes staring down at her.
She scrambled to her feet with a frightened yelp, mindful of the children still sprawled around her. The thoughts going through Kagome's head were thoughts of Inuyasha. `He couldn't possibly have returned, could he? What if he was able to get through the well after all?' Even though her mind told her that was not possible, her heart was saying that it was. She could still see his murder filled, golden eyes as he leered down at her from the high branches of the God Tree of five hundred years ago. She still saw the silver shine of his long, snowy mane of hair. But slowly those sun-kissed eyes turned to a greenish yellow, and the long, silver hair turned to grey-white feathers. Slowly the creature that had seemed to come straight out of her nightmares became nothing but a preening owl.
“A Snowy Owl…” She thought aloud. “What's a Snowy Owl doing here? And in the middle of the morning no less?!”
“Kagome-neesan? What's wrong?” Came a sleepy voice to her right. She turned from the time-confused animal to look at Kohaku, who had just woken up.
“Oh… It's just this owl…” She gestured helplessly at the patiently waiting animal.
Kohaku blinked in confusion. “Aren't owls supposed to be nocturnal?”
“Yeah, that's the problem.” She turned back to the owl, absentmindedly reaching out to stroke its soft head feathers. “What would an owl be doing here, after the sun has risen? And there's something else…” She trailed off, unsure.
Kohaku's eyes widened. “Look Kagome-neesan!” He exclaimed, pointing to the bird's leg. “It's sitting on something!” Kagome gasped; he was right. Eyeing the bird appraisingly, she decided that it seemed docile enough. She carefully coaxed the bird onto her hand and lifted it up, taking the letter of heavy parchment before placing the bird back down.
“Wow…” Kagome breathed. “You don't see letters like this anymore!” She flipped it over and read the address out loud. “Ms. K Higurashi, fifth tree to the right, Sun Set Shrine, Japan.” She blinked then sighed. “Okaaay…” She turned to Kohaku. “Think I should open it?” He nodded silently. The importance of the fact that someone or something knew where they were was not lost on him.
The letter read:
 
Hogwarts School
of Witchcraft and Wizardry
 
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)
 
Dear Ms. Higurashi,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As you are above the age that classes are normally started at, you will join the 5th years. You will be tutored by a responsible member of your house. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31. If you do agree to come, you will be met by a trusted staff member at this location on August 20th, who will help you to settle in.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress
 
Kagome stared at the piece of yellow parchment in shock. “Kohaku, read this…” She handed the letter to him. After he read it, then re-read it, he looked up at the raven-haired girl that was standing in front of him.
“Do you think this is… real?” He asked quietly, handing her back the strange letter.
“I don't know. There is no one to play such a trick on me, but it seems so strange. Then again, I really can't complain.” Her smile was wry as she briefly reflected on the last few years of her life. Like hell am I normal. Not with all of that in my memory… So really, I can't complain.
“Are… Are you going to go?”
Kagome smiled gently at the black-haired youth. “Only if you can all come with me.” She took his hands in hers. “I would never leave you Kohaku. Not after all we've been through.”
She felt a small tug at her Hakama and looked down to see the small, red-headed kitsune kit. His eyes were wide and frightened, filled with more than a little pain. “You won't leave me either, will you Kagome-okachan?”
“Shhh… Don't worry Shippou-chan. I won't ever leave you either.” She crooned softly, picking the injured child up and settling him comfortably in her arms.
“What's going on Nee-chan?” She looked up to meet her younger brother's worried eyes. Kanna and Rin were standing quietly behind him.
“Well kids… It would appear that we're going to go to school.” Kagome grinned at the children's wide-eyed expressions. “And not just any school either, but a school of Magic!”