Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Starlight ❯ Songs ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Everyone gathered in Kagome's small hut. They were silent for a few minutes while Kagome made some tea. After she served the tea she spoke, "So, Hiei tells me you guys came to seek my aid?" She sat down and sipped her tea. Yusuke answered her, "Ya the toddler back at the reikai wanted us to bring you back so we could protect you and maybe use your help in defeating Naraku." Kagome giggled. Hiei spoke, "What's so funny wench?" Kagome sent him a glare, "I just wanted to point out that I easily defeated all of you, and I can't even defeat Naraku, were going to need a little more help if that's your wish."

Everyone stared at Kagome, "What do you mean, I thought he killed of your race so that you wouldn't get in his way, why would he do that if you weren't powerful?" Kuwabara blurted. Kagome looked at the ground, "I lack proper training from my people, so I am weaker than most star catchers. All I can really use is my healing powers and telekinetic abilities." Kagome stated sadly. "I get it, since you were your races only survivor, no one from you kind could train you in time." Kurama spoke soothingly.

Kagome looked at him confused, "Who said I was the only survivor?" Everyone looked at her in surprise, except Hiei who kept his face blank. "Whad'ya mean?" asked Yusuke. "I mean, I wasn't the only one who survived. The elders saved me, and two others; Souta, my little brother, and Rin, my little cousin. But both were captured by Naraku, I don't know if they're dead or not."

Hiei stood up, and walked outside. Everyone gave him strange looks, before continuing there conversation about Kagome's people and defeating Naraku. Hiei continued walking, until he came to a tree. He smirked slightly realizing it was the one Kuwabara had been hanging from, but that led his thoughts to the one who put him in the tree, Kagome. His frown returned and he jumped in the tree, sitting down on a high branch, getting comfy. If you looked closely at him you would see he was deep in thought. `How come she couldn't remember? Did something happen? What should I do? Should I try and make her remember?' He looked at his tiny star; he had taken it out of his cloak, `No, if she can't remember, then she probably didn't want to. She probably didn't care.' Hiei didn't know why, but the thought of her not caring struck a cord on his heart quite painfully.

Hiei sighed, and looked at the vast darkness of the sky. The stars were shining brightly with not a cloud in the sky or moon to faze them. He started to close his eyes, fully prepared to take a nap.

"Hiei"

But someone had other plans. He looked down into the eyes of Kagome; she was standing at the base of his tree. He just `hned' and turned his head away from her eyes. She huffed muttering about arrogant demons, as she spread her wings preparing to fly up to him. Hiei cast her a glance, watching her flight up. As her wings spread, they seemed to shimmer in the starlight. For the first time, Hiei realized how truly beautiful she was.

She landed on his branch, and folded her wings on her back. She looked up into his large crimson eyes. "Hiei, I wanted to let you know what we are going to do now, since you left earlier." Hiei fully turned to her now, showing he was listening. Kagome took a breath, "We know we can't defeat Naraku on our own, so we are going to seek the aid of a few of my friends. They are Inuyasha, a half demon in the Makai, Sango, a demon exterminator, and Miroku, a monk. All of them are very powerful and would be of great aid, but even then we still don't have enough. We need to seek out a jewel of great power, the Shikon no Tama. It is a powerful jewel that can grant its keeper great powers. With the help of the jewel and my friends, we should be able to take on Naraku." Kagome finished. Hiei spoke, "Where are we supposed to find the jewel?" Kagome smiled, "It is hidden within the depths of the old star worlds, only Souta, Rin, or I can retrieve it. I am sure that is why Naraku captured them, because he seeks the jewel as well." Hiei nodded, "Then we shall leave to your world as soon as possible, before Naraku can get the Shikon." Kagome's smile widened and she nodded her head, "Great! I haven't been home in so long, since Naraku destroyed it."

"What exactly happened when Naraku came?" Hiei asked. Kagome looked sadly into his eyes, wondering if she should tell him. When she looked in his eyes she saw worry and a touch of sadness. `Was he worried for me?' She thought, `I don't know why, but I think I can trust him.' Kagome spoke, "It all started when I was a small girl, I was in the middle of my first star gathering. I was so happy, as the stars were quite bright that day. But when I caught my first star, a demon shot my wing, and I fell. I remember that I had hurt my leg, but I can't remember much more of when I was on the earth. When I returned, I found my home was in ashes. The whole city in the sky had been burned, my home was destroyed. I found my mom, and she told me to escape, back to earth. She gave me, a flute carved of an ancient wood and enchanted by the great elder Midoriko. She told me to keep it, and when the time came to summon the Shikon. With her last breath, she told me she loved me and to never forget who I was, the keeper."

When she finished, Hiei was in shock, that day when he had first met her, when she left. Her village was destroyed. He turned back to her, "What is the keeper?" "I'm not sure, my self. But I still have the flute she gave me." She took a beautiful flute from her kimono, and held it to him. "This is the flute that will summon the Shikon no Tama. But it has other uses as well," She brought the flute to her lips, and began to play. The melody she played was haunting and sad, but wonderful none the less.

As she continued, Hiei became entranced. His eyes were only half lidded, as he continued watching and listening to her play. Her flute began to glow a dark blue, and Kagome herself afterwards. Hiei realized something bright was above him, and brought his head up. The stars were falling from the sky, as if entranced as well and wanting to hear her play. Stars surrounded them both, making their spot in the tree seem enchanted. As Kagome's song continued, something in Hiei's cloak, stirred. Before he could react, the star in his cloak broke free of its small bottle and floated in front of Kagome's flute.

Kagome's song stopped abruptly as she starred at the small blue star. She laid the flute in her lap, and cupped the star with her hands.

"Where did you get this?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darkness: OOO Cliffy, Heehee ::dodges flying tomatoes:: Hey people, at least be a little more creative with the fruit! EEP! ::Dodges flying penguins holding guava melons:: Eh heh heh, never mind.

Tika: Anyways people review! Or Hiei shall be chained to the evil wall of doom. ::cackle::

Hiei: Help me!

Darkness: Just forget, him. I'm sorry this chapter took a little longer to get out than the others, but o well. It's here now.

Peace