Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Starlight ❯ Off to Genki's! ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4

Hiei stared blankly into her eyes for a moment, trying to find something to say. He slowly edged to the back of the tree trunk, trying to get away. He was staring into her eyes as he back away, so he didn't notice a weak part of the branch he was on. He pressed it down as he backed up, it broke, making him lose his balance and fall out of the tree.

Kagome saw him fall, and was briefly stunned. When she regained her composer and looked down to see if he was ok, he was gone. She sighed and looked back a her little star, `He probably has no idea that this was my first, and what it means to me.' She closed her eyes and brought the star to her heart, where she absorbed it into her body. Her eyes glowed blue when she opened them, but they soon returned their normal color. She leapt from the tree, lightly beating her wings, and head back inside.

When she returned to the cabin, she found everyone asleep on the floor, leaving her the bed. She also noticed that Hiei wasn't there, she didn't know why, but she was slightly disappointed. She went around the room, placing blankets over the guests and putting pillows under heads. When she was finished she added two logs to the dieing fire, not wanting anyone to be cold. Finally, she went to her own bed and got under the covers and slept. All the while dreaming of the mysterious fire apparition, and why he would have her first star.

Hiei, who was outside leaning against the part of the cabin adjacent to Kagome's bed, was also thinking about the star. `She seemed so surprised when she found the star, but why? Why would her first star mean so much to her, that she feared my having it? I wonder what it means.' He laid his head back, looking at the stars and listening to Kagome's breathing through the cabin wall. Soon, he too fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

In the morning, Kagome woke to the sound of feet. She opened her eyes and was startled to find Hiei right in front of her face just staring at her. She `eeped' and fell to the floor with the blankets still tangled about her body. When she got up she was ready to kill the fire apparition, but then she noticed humor in his eyes. She walked past him, "Hmph, jerk," she continued past him and stopped at the door, "I'm going to take a bath at the hot spring in the forest, don't you dare peek, and make sure no one else doe." She grabbed her things and left.

Hiei was tempted to follow her to the springs, but quickly decided against it when he remembered how powerful she was. He saw that Kuwabara was now awake and slowly inching towards the door. Hiei frowned and knocked him back out, "Idiot" He decided he'd get a little more sleep before the others woke up, it was still early. He went to Kagome's bed and lay down on his back, breathing in her wonderful Jasmine sent. He closed his eyes and fell asleep.

~~Hot Springs~~

Kagome sat down on a rock in the springs and took out her soap. She quickly scrubbed her body and hair and then dived into the hot waters. When she surfaced, she sat back down on the bank of the springs and just decided to think for a while. `When the others wake they said we would see Koenma, I wonder what he's like. I've only met his father and I didn't know he had any children at the time. Oh well, I'm sure it'll turn out okay. I wonder how Sango and Miroku are doing. Last time I saw them they were still fighting and Sango hadn't told Miroku about how she felt. I wonder if she did yet.' She soaked for a little bit longer before getting out and drying off.

She put on long sleeve purple shirt and long skirt. She also wore some high sandals. The walk back to the cabin was uneventful and boring, she only met two demons and they were weaklings, she didn't even try to kill them. She opened the door to find Kuwabara unconscious at her feet. She smiled a little knowing it was Hiei who knocked him out. Kagome put down her things and walked over to her bed where she saw Hiei sleeping. `He looks so peaceful when he sleeps,' She lightly caressed his cheek with the back of her hand. Bringing her focus to his third eye, she found herself fascinated by it. Her hand left his cheek in favor of the Jagan; she traced her fingers over it, silently marveling at the third eye.

"Do you always fondle men in there sleep?" She jumped and took her hand from his face. She looked back down to find Hiei completely awake and staring at her questioningly. "Umm…" She was more than a little nervous now; she didn't think he would wake up. She quickly looked away, a blush creeping its way onto her cheeks. Hiei smirked when he saw her blush. Kagome noticed. `Why that cocky little bastard, he's enjoying this!' Hiei sat up in the bed, still smirking. Kagome became even more enraged and slapped him. "How dare you look so smug when I'm obviously uncomfortable!" She thought about what she just did and felt horrible, she fell silent and looked away.

Hiei brought a hand to his face, `She just slapped me, why that little…" He paused when he saw her suddenly look a little frightened, then ashamed. `She didn't mean to.' He brought his hand to her face and grasped her chin, forcing her to look at him, "I'm sorry" Kagome almost couldn't hear him because he whispered. "Me too," Kagome brought her hand up to his face, healing the bruise her slap had left. Neither noticed the distance between their faces slowly closing.

That is, until Yusuke woke up.

" ::Yawn:: Hey Hiei, what are you doing?" Yusuke asked looking confusedly from Hiei to Kagome. Hearing Yusuke Hiei was immediately on the other side of the room, while Kagome stood up and turned to Yusuke. "Um… hey Yusuke, how bout I make us some breakfast?" Kagome let out a nervous laugh, hoping he would forget what he saw and eat. Yusuke brightened, "Yeah! What are we eating?" Kagome let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, "How about some bacon and eggs, I also have some sausages." Yusuke nodded.

Kagome woke the others and got to work on breakfast, once again noticing Hiei had disappeared. She frowned a little bit before continuing breakfast. Everyone loved her cooking and thanked her. Afterwards they headed to Koenma's. They met Botan on the way, and she seemed ecstatic to meet Kagome.

"So are you really a star catcher?" Botan asked Kagome, Kagome smiled and nodded. "That is so cool, I'm so glad I could meet you." Kagome liked Botan right there and then; she seemed like a very energetic person that she could easily get along with. "Thanks Botan, by the way, what connection do you have with the Reikai? Are you also a spirit detective?" Kagome asked. Botan giggled and sat on her oar. "No silly, I'm the messenger of the spirit world; you could also call me the grim reaper." Kagome shivered a bit, "How can you be so happy when you have to work with the dead?" "That's exactly what I said" Yusuke added in.

Botan laughed, "I don't see the point in being sad, it'll just make the deceased feel worse," She pointed out. "Oh yeah, I never thought of it that way." They continued walking and Kagome and Botan decided they'd go to the mall together after they talked to Koenma.

When they entered Koenma's office they explained the situation and told him about the Shikon and the extra star catchers in Naraku's possession. He agreed with them and thought that the extra help from Kagome's friends and the jewel would be useful. He gave them the coordinates and where bouts of Naraku and whished them luck.

The gang decided to head to Genki's place and ask her about Naraku and maybe train a bit before they went. The walk up the stairs was grueling and no one liked it. Botan and Kagome were having fun teasing the guys though, both could fly. "Don't tire yourself out Yusuke; I'm sure Genki would want to have a good training session with you," Kagome giggled at Botan's obvious torture on the teenager. Hiei spoke next, "I still don't see why we have to visit the old hag anyways." Truth be told, he didn't like walking up the stairs either. "Aww, are you getting tired Hiei?" Kagome swooped next to him, still flying, "I think I can help!" She smiled, and grabbed him around the waist, hosting him into the air.

No doubt Hiei was surprised at her actions, but he was glad to be of his feet and in the sky; it was so much better than walking after all. Kagome giggled and spun around in the air a bit. She flew further into the sky, toward the sun, before descending back to earth and letting Hiei down at the top of the stairs. She let her arms linger a little before sliding them off his waist, smiling at him when he turned to face her. Hiei missed the feeling of her arms around him, but didn't know why. He decided he'd just forget about it for the moment.

"Hiei?" Hiei turned to face Yukina, his little sister. His eyes softened a bit, as Kagome noticed, before his mask slipped back on. He nodded at Yukina and she smiled, glad to know the gang was back. "Is Kazuma and the others here with you?" She questioned further, this time Kagome spoke, "Yes, they are, and who might you be?" Yukina turned her focus to Kagome, "I'm Yukina, I'm glad to meet you. Are you a friend of Hiei's?" Kagome nodded, "Yes, my name is Kagome. I just met every body and am still new to the whole spirit world thing. We came here to see Genki, is she here?" "Yes, she is. I'll tell her everyone's here and when everyone is done getting up the stairs, you can come in." She bowed briefly, and left.

"She seems very nice, how do you know her?" Kagome asked Hiei, "She is my little sister, but she doesn't know." Hiei cast his eyes downward, avoiding her gaze, "Oh, I'm sorry; I won't bring it up anymore." She grabbed his hand, giving it a light squeeze before letting it go. Hiei just stared at her.

"Hey you two, how was the flight?" Botan nudged Kagome and winked, "Have fun?" Kagome blushed furiously, "I can't believe you would even suggest that Botan!" Botan laughed at Kagome's obvious embarrassment. "Hey Botan, what are you laughing at?" Yusuke, Kurama, and Kuwabara had arrived. Before Botan could embarrass Kagome further, Kagome rapped an arm around her mouth affectively silencing her, "Nothing, nothing, we weren't laughing at anything. So let's go see Genki now." She smiled nervously as the boys all gave her weird looks. Botan freed herself and glared at Kagome; she straightened up, and went inside.

*What was that about* Kurama asked Hiei through the mined link, *Hn.* Hiei closed the link and went into the shrine. Kurama sighed, still confused as ever.

Darkness: Yay! I finished it. ::Happy dance::

Tika: The mold on the left pimple is ripe! Time to review! ^_^

Hiei: ::Inches away slowly::

Darkness: I don't get it either. . . but please do review. ::Puppy eyes:: You can't resist!

Peace