Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Blue Eyed Beauty ❯ Silence ( Chapter 20 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Silence
 
`Remind me, again, why that little bastard's still here?'
 
Despite the fact Youko had decided to remember he hated Hiei beyond all reason, Kurama actually found the hybrid's silent companionship reassuring. The fact that he had not left, though he had a beautiful mate to go back to, proved, that with time, he might trust him as he once did.
 
`He might not be trying to take over anymore, but don't think I'll forget about something like that so soon, Red! This is my domain, and no arrogant little fire apparition is going to come in here and—!'
 
“Tell me, Hiei—” conversation was the best way to drown out the spirit, “—how did you come to meet such a vexing woman as Kagome?”
 
With a smirk, the hybrid asked, “Why should I tell you, fox? Are you jealous that I found something that you didn't, or are you merely hoping you will be able to go out and find yourself something similar?”
 
“Not at all,” Kurama sighed. “I'm merely curious as to why a miko, born with the capability of killing demons, would mate with a demon thief.”
 
“Then you'll continue to be curious, fox,” Hiei stated.
 
“Surely you must have done something?” Kurama pressed. “I doubt that you would sink so low to persuade her into the position with the Jagan—” a snarl ripped from the hybrid's throat, “—so you must have wooed her in some fashion? You see, I'm mainly curious because you've never shown any interest in human women and I was unaware you were familiar with ways in which to obtain their heart.”
 
“You'd be surprised to find I know more than you think I do.”
 
“Oh, really?”
 
The small hybrid did not reply, returning to the silence he had lapsed into earlier. He stared out the window, and though his eyes remained guarded, something in his gaze told Kurama he was thinking of his mate. He was replaying some memory, and Kurama was left to ponder what it might possibly be.
 
`Stubborn little bastard won't tell you anything, Red.' Youko almost wished he could sneer. `You'd have better chances of getting the information out of a mouse than that little fucker.'
 
Kurama supposed that Youko was right, as he, too, returned to the silence that stretched between them. Hiei's secrets were his own, despite how much Kurama might ponder over them, and the hybrid would guard them as effectively as he guarded his own mate.
 
`Think of it this way, Red,' Youko said, `you can get the information out of his pretty little mate later.'
 
Kurama smirked.
 
Hiei's gaze shifted onto him, questioning.
 
Perhaps, Kurama silently noted. Perhaps.
 
—Fin