Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Referee ❯ Jobs andJilted Friends ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Referee By A Phantom Moon

Kagome looked into those golden eyes, shock plastered there as she went to cover her mouth , she felt herself fall. her arms flailing, she braced her hands on the ground, her legs still attached to his waist. And, as if this moment wasn’t awkward enough, Inuyasha barged in after knocking once. WHO KNOCKS ONCE! Kagome didn’t even have time to explain, before the yelling started. And look, the fun wasn’t over, he had brought friends to watch the freak show known as her life.

Kouga, Ayame, Sango, Miroku, and Kagura were there. Wow. Friends really are grand. Especially when one was screaming, one was in a perverted haze, one looked amused, one hurt, there was a shocked one, and a triumphant one from Ayame..

She finally managed to unfreeze long enough to fall, and when her head hit the ground with a thump, she hoped she would wake and this would be a bad dream.

No such luck.

“ What the hell! Your alone for a day and your already sexing up my brother! What’s wrong with you, is your brain broken! Your so clueless, I leave ya alone for a while, and your makin’ out with Lord Snowball! God Kagome, at least Kikyou told me she betrayed me! She’s more of a woman then you’ll ever be!”

Kagome, still feeling the passion she and Sesshoumaru shared, felt the anger well up in her .”You overbearing jerk! You are the one who should feel ashamed, always putting me down when you’re the one who’s wrong! And now isn’t any different. You’ll never change, will you Inuyasha? I try to be your friend, and you go out with some look alike ?"

He stammered, never hearing Kagome quite this furious. He looked to his brother, a look of panic in his eyes. They seemed to cry “save me!” and Sesshoumaru wasn’t very inclined to be Inuyasha’s blocker, always trying to save him when he irritated Kagome. He had gone too far.

“Hey, you’re the one who-”

“No! I’m allowed to do anything with anyone, you don’t own me! If I decided to run around naked covered in peanut butter, you wouldn’t even be informed when I got arrested! So get out of my house and don’t come back till you learn to respect me; your so-called friend!”

She glowed a silver blue as Inuyasha was picked up and deposited outside. The door shut behind him with a slam, followed by the sound of six locks tumbling into place. She drained the angry energy from herself before she lost control.

She let the red haze of anger leave her eyes, to see her friends and the man she knew loved her staring with worried features.

“I’m sorry you guys had to see that, I was just… fed up with foul treatment.”

“We understand Gome, that mangy dog has been a bur in my fur since the day I met him!”

Ayame sighed in frustration, of course he would take Kagome’s side. He had pined for her for years! Well Ayame loved Kagome, and she pinned Kouga’s cluelessness on idiocy. She was going to play the field, and to hell with him!

Kagura, Sango ,and Ayame took Kagome’s limp hands and guided her to the spacious bedroom to have a small chat, leaving the men to speak among themselves.

Sesshoumaru’s senses could smell Kagome’s arousal and anger, and surprisingly didn’t want to gut Inuyasha for hurting a potential mate. All he felt was a desire to reassure Kagome and make her feel less guilty. Miroku and Kouga were silently wondering how Inuyasha could say such hurtful things to the girl he (all of a sudden) loved.

Meanwhile, the girls were doing what all girls do in such situations.

Dogging Inuyasha (pun intended).

Sango pulled Kagome’s hair down and brushed it gently, trying to soothe the girl’s frazzled emotions.

Ayame got Kagome a pair of soft flannel pajamas.

Kagura went to the kitchen and got ice cream.

Kagome sat and contemplated what would have happened if the girls hadn’t busted in with Kouga, Miroku, and that degenerate! She didn’t know what scared her more, the fact that she had taken a risk of losing her powers…

Or the fact that she didn’t seem to care.

The next day, before getting ready for her first day of work, and getting her step father to drop her out of regular college, she remembered the night before with slight fear. She loved Sesshoumaru, but ..

She remembered the worst class she ever had to take. It was almost like a sexual education course for miko. In this course, you learned of Miko demon relationships and the precautions you must take, the same as miko with regular persons. The one thing the instructor literally pounded into their head was :THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES!

The thing was, when a miko lost her virginity, you never knew what would happen. Some powers were lost, some remained the same, some decreased, some increased greatly. But you could never know. That’s why most miko didn’t want to jeopardize this bond with purity. There were some miko, like Kaede, the woman she was replacing as Head of Miko Security, who had been virgins their whole life, and would die virgins.

She knew she loved Sesshoumaru, but she didn’t want to lose this part of her, the part that made her Kagome. She sighed in exasperation; life was never easy, was it?

She went into her new work, in awe at her step fathers beautiful taste. The building was gorgeous! All white marble, with the cherry blossom logo of the western lands on the front, a beautiful white dog, rampant. She entered, her crisp blue skirt-suit and comfortable but sexy heels a nice change in the drab world of blacks and khaki.

She stood in the elevator, trying not to get claustrophobic in the elevator with mostly foreign demons.At one point a nice fellow, whom she found (extraordinarily) to be human, looked at her with big amber eyes and started talking in English. She pretended she didn’t speak the languge, and smiled at him indulgently patting his blonde head, seeing as he was very short. She got out when the elevator (finally) got to the eighteenth floor, she had heard the american rant for fifteen minutes about how he was fifteen not eleven. She gave him a small kiss on his cheek in apology.

She got to her department, handing Sango her breifcase as she started to remove her skirt and shirt (please, take a moment to wipe the drool off your mouths)
Miroku’s hopes where dashed though, she had a blue sports bra and black workout shorts on. She smiled at Sango, and went into the dojo near the back, waiting for her mikos to arrive for an inspection.

She heard a resounding slap, and peeking her head out the doorway she yelled out.” Hey you two! Be professional. Slap him when your on break Sango!”

“Thank you Kagome, I’m saved!”

She laughed when Sango’s voice echoed back to her. ”Kagome, sweety, may I have a break?”

“Of course, lovely Sango!

The commotion made her laugh. Her laughter abruptly died when Hiei entered, wearing black workout clothes and a white turban. He nodded to her before leaning against the opposite wall, his red eyes watching her, like he was waiting for a reason to be a jackass.

She had decided on Miroku and Sango as her secretaries because she trusted them implicitly. Demon/Human relations would be no problem with Miroku, he was very good at smoothing ruffled feathers, and Sango was a taijiya, and if anyone who more about strategy then she, Kagome would swallow some of Inuyasha’s cooking.

She raised her head, hearing the pattering of footsteps as her department of security shuffled in, the eight women and two men who would guard the top world leaders, demon and human.

She started told them to start with a short meditation, while she thought of what to start with. She warmed up, extending her awareness. Letting her silver blue energy surround her, Kagome felt the flame of her fellow miko and monks lives. They were varying shades, and some where bigger then others. She felt a surge of power run through her as another life entered her mind. It was immortal, a large crimson life. Demonic. Powerful, and crimson was the color of power and sensuality. She walked to the shoji screen, opening the door was Sesshoumaru almost barged in.

She was professional, as they had all agreed they would be if they met in the office. “Sesshoumaru-sama, to what do we owe this pleasure?”

He looked at her for a second more then needed, before stating in that monotone drawl she hated with a fiery passion. “ I’m here to make sure my guards are not inefficient. You are the new commander?”

“Yes.”

“ I want the best. I will observe, and you will allow them to show me their skills. I will check in at the end of one week, and if they have not improved, your job will be lost, understand?”

She nodded, before giving her students the floor.

The two monks, twins, used their power of false images and shape shifting to aid them in battle with the taiyoukai. Kagome saw that their close arms combat would lose them the battle.

The first girl, who had fetching blonde hair, was almost disembowled by the youkai lord, her agility her weakness, while her knives and mind tricks were a strong suit. It continued this way right down the line. A gigantic weakness for every strength. Kagome sighed in weariness, knowing that these young ones needed a lot of work.

Sesshoumaru approached her, a cold grin on his face. ”Your turn, Miko Kagome.”

She looked flabbergasted for a moment, before a small smile appeared there. He saw that she pulled out no weapons, as the others did. Their power showed on their faces. Hers was a more subtle magnificence, glowing deep within her like a jewel.

She raised an arm, as if beckoning a long lost lover into her embrace.

“Let it begin.”