Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time Traveler Meets Spirit Detective ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho.

--------

Chapter 2 - The Mikos, Living and Dead.

The two families were sitting down for dinner, the two mothers chatting away, or at least Kagome's mother was. Kagome sighed, studying Yusuke out of the corner of her eye. She sensed power coming from him, but it was masked, and her untrained senses couldn't penetrate the barrier. She looked back to her mother, hiding her uneasiness. He didn't have a demon aura, nor did she sense an evil presence, but she was still wary of this boy.

She sighed, she had to act normal. Her mother had already sent her a few narrow eyed glances, and she forced herself into a smile, eating away at her food politely. Souta started trying to get the other boy to talk, eager to hear stories. Through most of the visit to the Urameshi's, Yusuke had been absent, and hadn't talked to the boy much.

"So, what's your school like? Do you have lots of friends? I don't like school, too much work, but Mom and Kagome tell me it's important."

Kagome rolled her eyes; he almost never complained about school, he just wanted to look 'cool' in front of the older boy.

"My school's ok I guess. We're on vacation right now. I don't go there much, I don't see why it's important, I only end up getting in fights anyway."

Kagome frowned; she didn't want Souta to think he should be getting into fights. 'School is important, our future depends on it. That's why I come back from shard hunting. Not that I can say that.' She was starting to glare, and opened her mouth to start speaking, but before the angry words could come, her mother interrupted, speaking sweetly.

"Kagome dear, how was your day at school? How are your friends?"

Kagome's mouth clicked shut and she smiled, except this time it was less forced than the others. Her day had actually been good. 'For once my friends didn't bother me about boys, and Hojo only talked to me for a few minutes. Though my makeup work will be a pain.'

"Oh, I had a great day in school today Mama. I had a good grade on the last test I took in History. Eri actually got a boyfriend I found out, so the girls were teasing her about that for awhile." 'Instead of me about Hojo.'

Finally dinner was finished, and Mrs. Higurashi stayed in the kitchen to do the dishes while Yusuke's mother went upstairs to unpack. Kagome settled down in the living room to do her homework. She could feel Yusuke staring at her, and had no idea why. Finally she got fed up with the eyes boring holes in the back of her head and turned around to glare at him.

"Why are you staring at me?"

~_~_~

Yusuke had been trying to find a way to bring up demons. That he was in a shrine known for it's legends about demons and evil spirits seemed to escape him, and he was now staring at the girl.

'How can I bring up the topic of demons? This girls seems to be a good little schoolgirl, all smiles and chatting happily about good grades on tests. There's no way she knows anything about demons. I'll just tell Botan that I doubt she knows anything, then I can enjoy my nice little stay here.'

He was brought out of his thoughts by the girls turning around to glare at him, her eyes flashing dangerously and her aura flaring up threateningly. His eyes widened. What the hell?

"Why are you staring at me?"

Yusuke almost sighed in relief, and then he realized he didn't have an answer. It's not like he could just tell her he was thinking about what she knew of demons. Besides, what right did she have to get angry? He could stare all he wanted. It's not like he had meant to!

"What're you talking about? I wasn't staring at you. You're paranoid."

Yusuke realized an instant too late that might not have been the best thing to say. And it was confirmed a second later when she stood up and began yelling.

"Excuse me, I think I know when someone's staring at me. I am not paranoid. I mean, I think I know when people are staring at me after-"

Kagome cut herself off, her anger draining out of her as she realized that she had almost given her secret away, simply because she had let herself get angry. She had been about to mention how sharp her senses had gotten from fighting demons, and she'd rather not be seen as insane. The boy was giving her a peculiar look after her long silence, and she quickly went back to glaring at him.

"What now?"

She practically growled out her question this time, upset at herself for what she almost did, and angry with him for making her get upset enough to lose control.

"Oh nothing. Just wondering why you cut yourself off then. After what huh? Must be pretty important for you to stop. What, have some little secret that you can't give out or something?"

He was giving her a confident smirk now, and she was struggling to keep control of her powers now. Too bad they had grown so much in the past year. Better for battle, but so much harder to control. That he was more annoying than a certain hanyou didn't help in the least.

Yusuke at the moment was wondering what possessed him to ask that. She had gotten that mortified look on her face that practically screamed secret, but what business of that was his? 'I can't really investigate the girl if she hates me. Damn, I'm surprised she hasn't lashed out at me yet the way her aura's flaring. Yet, it's going all over the place. She has the strength, but she doesn't seem to have the control. It's too bad her powers flare up when she's angry, she looks kind of cute glaring at me in the schoolgirl outfit.'

Yusuke ignored that last thought and wondered how he was going to get out of this mess as Kagome began speaking again, her voice going from normal to loud in a matter of seconds.

"Why I cut myself off is none of your business, perhaps, unlike you, I just didn't want to get into a fight, and was trying to stop. Or, for that matter, maybe I just didn't want to waste my breath on arguing with someone like you!"

With that Kagome stomped out of the room and up the stairs, ignoring whatever the boy was saying. She stomped into her room, kicking at a vase that had fallen on the floor. The vase suddenly turned into dust in a flash of bright light. Kagome stopped, staring at the small pile of sand. 'What the hell? Am I really that angry?' She sighed, trying to calm herself down.

'Come on Kagome, think of happy things...like cats, and chocolate. Or Shippo when he found the store of chocolate you had in your bag.'

Kagome smiled, remembering how hyper the kitsune had been for the next few hours. Fortunately, he hadn't gotten sick, but Kagome reminded herself to never leave her bag unattended when there was chocolate inside after that. She sighed, her thoughts turning unhappily to her friends in Feudal Japan. She hoped they hadn't thought she abandoned them. She had left without a goodbye, simply grabbing her stuff when no one was around and leaving. Kagome shook off the thoughts, and started to get ready for bed.

As Kagome had stomped upstairs, Yusuke, in an attempt to get the last word in, yelled and swore at her retreating form. It didn't really make him feel better when she appeared not to have heard a thing.

'Damn it, I just had to go and make her mad. This was supposed to be an easy job, but how am I supposed to find out anything about her if she's too mad to speak to me?'

Finally, Yusuke trudged upstairs, dropping himself on the futon in the kid's room. The boy immediately launched into a tirade about how cool fighting was, and asking about the fights he got in. Yusuke responded with a few grunts and shrugged at half the questions, hoping the boy got the point. Either he eventually did, or he wore himself out with taking.

Yusuke settled onto his back, staring at the ceiling. Most of the room was in greens and browns, not the most stylish room, but considering there were toys everywhere and the kid's clothes were on the floor, it's not like you could see the colors anyway. Yusuke sighed, and closed his eyes, trying to get some sleep.

~~~~Near Dawn In Feudal Japan~~~~

The undead miko looked over the three companions coolly. Her spell appeared to have worked, as they were all sleeping deeply. The hanyou was in a tree, while the other two slept where they were in reach of their weapons. She shook her head; it was foolish to watch how easily she had tricked the hanyou, how she had staged a little scene for her reincarnation, and how the group was already strained from the absence of the girl.

Only two days, and she had gotten what she wanted. The girl had left a shard behind, probably forgotten, and with the one she and the hanyou had found, it would be all she needed. Naraku was after shards, but she did not want this little group following her as a burden. Though it had been fun to play with her reincarnation's head.

It had been simple really. The wind would not bring her scent to him until it was too late, and she could take care of what he smelled when the girl got too close. When the undead miko had senses the aura of her reincarnation near, she had stepped out to the hanyou. A few simple words and they were kissing, and the hanyou had pressed her cold dead body of clay and bones against a tree. It had been nothing to her, she had felt nothing, and as soon as she sensed the girl fleeing, she had stepped away.

Kikyou's eyes turned upwards towards the sleeping hanyou.

"Soon, Inuyasha, I will come back and we shall go to hell together. After I have defeated Naraku. You really were foolish to choose me over her, after all, she is alive."

Kikyou watched distantly as the hanyou snored on. What could you expect of a half-breed. Perhaps when she was alive she had loved him, but she was freer now, and no longer did she fear loneliness. She was dead, and forever lonely.

After that incident, she had said she would help him hunt shards. But, only him. So they had set out, after Inuyasha had informed the group of what he was doing. They had argued, and questioned where their precious Kagome was. It was amusing to see how they treasured her copy. Then, upon coming back they had all camped together outside the village. Rather, they came out looking for answers and Inuyasha had promised them in the morning. Oh, the hanyou knew what had happened, he had smelled her scent after she had left, but had foolishly chosen to go after Kikyou, and later talk to the girl.

Kikyou took one look around, making sure the cat and kitsune were also asleep, for her spell only worked on those of human blood. Satisfied that no one was awake, and that her treasured shards were in her grasp, she called to her soul stealers and was soon a distant light in the sky.

Once that light had disappeared, one form stood up, clutching something in its hand. A small pink shard, wrapped in concealing wards and kitsune magic. It would not have been enough to fool Kagome, but the undead miko was no longer as strongly connected to the Shikon no Tama. She could sense shards, but to a lesser extent. And with part of her energy drained by the sleeping spell, she had not sensed the third shard that Miroku and Sango had retrieved in the past two days.

Shippo's tail swished thoughtfully as he regarded his sleeping companions. He would not be able to wake them, and it was too late anyway. Besides, he was a bit stronger than the last time he had fallen in the well, and it had been sealed then. Perhaps...

Shippo glanced down at the shard in his grasp, then in the direction of the well. He missed her, and Inuyasha obviously wasn't going to give answers anytime soon. Time for him to grow up a little. Besides, he really missed her chocolate. He ran off, one name ringing in his mind.

'Kagome.'


-----------

christina tails: Really? I've seen a few others with this pairing and lots more on ff.net, though a year ago when I started this there were only a couple. There are still plenty more Hiei and Kurama paired with Kagome pairings. Yus/Kags are few and far between those.

JPatt: Thanks! Here's another chapter!

flygirl 13: Thanks, this soon enough of an update?