Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time Traveler Meets Spirit Detective ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own either Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho

----------------

Chapter 3 - Kitsune Discovered

Inside a well house a well was glowing. A bright blue light sprung forth, disappearing a short while later, but leaving behind a small bundle of fuzz. The fuzz straightened itself out, revealing that it was a small child kitsune. The kitsune looked around nervously, quickly jumping out of the well, in fear that the well would take it back and not allow him to stay.

His small nose twitched, the different scents assaulting his sense of smell. 'The forest is gone! I can't even see the stars! Oh wait...' The kitsune opened the door of the well house, flushing in embarrassment. That explained why he hadn't been able to see the stars. He had been inside. Now, he just had to remember what Kagome had told him about her time.

'Umm...Let's see...Not many demons here. What about her house? Inuyasha sometimes sits on a tree branch near her window...so her part of the house is near a tree, right?'

Spirits soaring back up at the prospect of seeing his adopted mother, the young kitsune scrambled towards the house. He could smell her all around the house. He stopped, looking around for a tree near a window. He could see the God Tree in the distance and a path that supposedly led in that direction. That was no help. Trees near the house, that's what he must look for.

He scrambled along, going to the back of the house, and glancing around. His face split into a happy smile as he spotted a tree near the house. Or at least nearer to the house than the other trees. He scrambled up it's trunk, coming to stop on a branch that was directly across from a second story window. He sniffed the air.

Yup, that was her smell all right. The kitsune started hopping around happily, not stopping until the branch shook and he almost fell back to the ground. He froze, listening for signs of movement from the house. None came. He squinted, looking at the end of the branch then to the window. The curtains were to either side, and he could see Kagome sleeping through the window. Unfortunately, though it would have been no problem for the hanyou, it was doubtful if he could make the jump.

Taking a deep breath, the kitsune readied himself. He may not be an adult yet, but he could certainly do a small thing like jump from a branch to the windowsill. He ran as far as he could, looking oddly like an overgrown squirrel as he leapt. His paws caught the edge of the sill, and he pulled himself up, immediately pushing himself forward. Unfortunately, it was a cool night, and the window happened to be closed.

After a few minutes of trying to figure out how to get in while perched on the edge of the window sill, he did the only thing he could think of. Shippo knocked very lightly on the glass.

-~-

Kagome tried to dig her head deeper into her pillow. There was this insistent knocking going on. It was very light, and she could almost think it was in her head. She tried to roll over, blocking it out and mumbling sleepily about it wasn't even dawn yet. It didn't help, and if anything the knocking became frantic. Finally she threw off her covers and glared, trying to find the source of the noise.

Her jaw dropped to the floor as she looked towards the window. 'What? Shippo? How'd he get here? Right now, I don't care. I'm glad to see him.'

She unlocked the window, pushing it upwards and opening her arms to the kitsune, who immediately took the silent offer and burrowed into her arms. Kagome kept one arms around the clinging kitsune, using the other to close and lock the window before sitting with her legs crossed and putting Shippo in her lap.

"Shippo! I'm glad to see you! But...how did you get here?"

Immediately after she asked that question she answered it, her senses that were still struggling to awaken pointing out the obvious.

"A jewel shard!"

"Yup! I got a jewel shard." He puffed himself up, then deflated, looking up at her honestly. "Well, actually, Miroku and Sango got it, and gave it to me to hide. Miroku put some concealing wards on it and I used kitsune magic. Miroku said you still would have been able to sense it close up, but he wasn't sure about Kikyou, cause she's dead and all, and might not have a great connection to the Jewel."

Kagome winced at Kikyou's name, but forced herself away from that depressing subject, frowning at an earlier part instead.

"Miroku and Sango? What about Inuyasha?" 'Why would Inuyasha not go on a jewel search with our friends? Then again, maybe he was 'catching up' with Kikyou.'

"The baka went on a jewel search with the undead miko bit-"

"Don't swear Shippo." 'Even if it is true.'

"Fine, the undead miko then. They went off and Sango refused to go without you, and Miroku said he needed to exorcise some crops in the village. He was just being a bit more polite. You should've heard some of the things Sango said to dog-breath! It was great!"

Kagome tried to frown disapprovingly down at the kit, but for some reason the image of Sango telling off Inuyasha ruined the effect as she fought off a grin. Instead, she just brought the kitsune forward, holding him and patting his tail and head in soothing gestures. Finally she glanced over at the clock and sighed. "I still have school this week. Next week is vacation, but this week I have to go, and I might as well get ready before everyone else gets up."

The kit had heard her talk of school, but was unsure what exactly it was. Still, at her insistence, he loosened his hold onto her and settled onto the bed.

"Stay in here until I get back Shippo, and if anyone comes in, find someplace to hide. We have guests for the next two weeks, and it will be hard to keep you hidden, but we can do it Shippo!" She gave him a bright cheery smile. Oh how wrong she was.

She took her bath items and clothes to the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. Immediately, Shippo started peering around, poking at the odd items that were in her room. He smiled, seeing one familiar item. It was a small comb she had used to brush his hair and tail many times before. Happily he went to work on his tail, unaware of the others waking in the house as the early morning sunlight filtered in through the window.

-~-

Yusuke's eyes blinked open, staring blearily out the window at the sun that was just coming up. For a minute he struggled to remember where he was, his mind settling on the shrine, and the miko girl. He frowned. He never woke up this early. Must be something about sleeping at this shrine.

He rolled over, facing away from the sun and trying to drift off. Yet something in the back of his mind was telling him to wake up. Finally, with a look at the snoring kid on the bed, Yusuke got up. He grumbled to himself, finding his clothes and putting them on.

After dressing he narrowed his eyes, trying to focus on what was troubling him. He looked through the wall, towards the girls room. There was a faint demon aura over there. It definitely hadn't been there yesterday. He listened, hearing the shower on, and assumed the girl was in the shower washing up.

'So, if she's in the shower, and there's a demon in her room...Hell, it's too early in the morning to try thinking, I'll just go over there and see if I have to kill it or not.'

He walked out of his room, yawning as he walked to Kagome's room. He stood outside the door for a moment, preparing himself for battle if need be. It didn't feel strong enough to challenge him, but he couldn't be too careful. He opened the door slowly, looking around inside. When he saw the small demon with a comb in it's hand, he thought he was going crazy.

'Ok, that's funny, but I'm seeing a small kitsune using a comb to brush out its tail. Yup, it's definitely there. Now, for the real question. What the hell does this demon think it's doing?'

Sure now that any demon that would spend so much time brushing it's tail couldn't really be very tough, Yusuke arrogantly strode in to confront the small demon.

"Hey you! Demon! What are you doing here?"

Shippo froze, looking up slowly. Oh boy, was he in trouble. Didn't Kagome tell him not to let people see him? He tried to calm himself down, Kagome said things were different here, he had to think. Finally his nerves got the better of him, and he stood stiff, ready to run after using fox fire. He opened his mouth to let the word out, but instead he found himself glaring back at the teenager.

"I'm here visiting Kagome. What are you doing here?"

Shippo blinked. He couldn't believe he'd just done that. Usually he would have just pulled out a few tricks and run for Kagome. Too late now, he'd said it and he had to live with it. He continued glaring at the teen, crossing his arms and trying to look threatening. Yusuke just stared, a little confused at that answer. Kagome knew this fuzzy demon?

"I don't have to answer you! And why would a demon be visiting Kagome?"

'If this little kitsune is telling the truth, then I guess that answers if she knows about demons. But why the hell would a baby demon be visiting her? And where did it come from?'


At that moment Kagome had finished her shower and dried herself off, putting on her clothes. She walked out of the bathroom, wondering if she should go have breakfast first, or check on Shippo. She turned to her bedroom, deciding she should explain about her world to the poor kit. And she wanted an explanation about why exactly he was here.

She stopped outside her door, hearing the voices inside that were slowly getting louder. Shippo and...Yusuke? What was he doing in her room? 'Wait...Shippo! He's arguing with Shippo!. So much for hiding Shippo. Why did my mother have to have guests now? Well, I guess I'll have to go in there and make up some excuse. It's not like I can just say he's a demon.'

She walked into the room, prepared to see burnt papers from Fox fire, or a large spinning top. All she saw was the two boys glaring at each other, the yelling having stopped shortly before she went inside the room. 'What the...'

"Umm...Excuse me? Shippo? Yusuke?"

Both boys jumped, Shippo's eyes brightening as he launched himself into her arms. Automatically she caught him, holding him close while blinking in confusion.

"See? I told you she knew me. You should apologize!" Shippo was smirking in triumph while Yusuke stared at them, trying to take it into his head that not only did she know this demon, she was presently holding the kitsune tenderly.

"Um...Why the hell are you holding a demon?"

Kagome stared. He knew Shippo was a demon? Wait, he knew what demons were?

"What do you know about demons?"

"I should be asking you that question!"

"It's my house, and I asked first!"

"Yeah, and it's this house that has a demon in it!"

Shippo put his hands over his ears, wincing as they shouted at each other. Finally fed up, he jumped out of Kagome's arms and peered up at both of them.

"It's easy how Kagome knows of demons, it's cause she had the Shikon jewel in her body and got taken five hundred years in the past through a well, where we're always fighting demons!"

Shippo realized that, despite this having stopped their shouting, this would lead to disbelief from this teenage boy, and deathglares from Kagome.

Yusuke stared at the kitsune cub, then at Kagome. Well, the clothes on the cub did look old...What was he thinking? That was impossible!

Yusuke scoffed. "You expect me to believe shit like that? Time travel? And what's a Shikon jewel anyway?" He knew there had to be something wrong besides her defiant nature. Powerful, cute...and totally insane.

Kagome gave the human version of a growl and snapped back at him, for once keeping her aura under control. "Hey, we answered, you don't want to believe, that's your problem. Now I think we deserve some answers!"

Yusuke hmphed and crossed his arms, giving an arrogant smirk. Even if she was insane or lying, she knew something about demons, so it was safe for him to answer. "Fine, mine's simple, and I don't have to make up lies. I'm a Spirit Detective."

Yusuke's face fell at the next question.

"What the hell is a Spirit Detective?"

-----------

Thank you all for reviewing and please do review some more! Responses to those who have:

kagome15: An update for you! Thanks for reviewing!

christinatails: Not at the moment. Not the ones on mediaminer anyway, usually I just check the newest stuff, but now that I have an account I'll start putting them on my favorites. On the other hand, if you don't mind checking out ff.net stories, you can go to me account there(same name) and look at my favorite stories. That's got a bunch. Sorry for not having the mediaminer ones, I'll have them soon!

tbiris: Thanks, I'm glad that I can make someone interested who doesn't usually read this pairing. Thanks for reviewing!