Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time Traveler Meets Spirit Detective ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho

--------------

Chapter 4 - Meeting the Team

---In Feudal Japan, Morning---

Four travels began to stir, the last of the spell that had kept them asleep fading in the wind. All four woke slowly, until one traveler noticed something was missing.

"Where's Kikyou?" Inuyasha growled out as he looked around the camp.

Sango blinked, clearing her thoughts. She wasn't very worried about Kikyou. The miko could've caught on fire and been burnt to ashes and she couldn't care less. She was on the other hand, worried when she noticed who else was gone.

"Where's Shippo? He's gone too." Sango searched the campsite for their kitsune friend, but he was no where to be seen. Kagome would kill her if they had lost Shippo! If they ever saw Kagome again...

Inuyasha growled, he didn't care about the runt, he wanted to know where Kikyou was. Especially since Kagome had left them, they needed Kikyou to help them find shards. 'Well, it is sort of my fault that Kagome left...Nah, she's just oversensitive. It's not like I was really choosing. They're the same person! They share the same soul! Or they did...'

Despite his arguments, something inside him said that Kikyou and Kagome were different, they no longer shared a soul. Kikyou's souls were from the dead. Maybe he had done something wrong, but, at least now she could go to her school and not worry about shards. He'd go get her part of the jewel later, after there was no more danger.

Inuyasha's eyes widened and his search became frantic. "Hey! Where are the jewel shards?"

---Modern Era, Breakfast---

After a long argument about whose story was stupider, the two teens had made it down to breakfast. Yusuke had told her about his job, briefly, though he left out most of the details, like that two of his team mates were demons, and little things like that.

Kagome, in return, had told him more about the well, and the jewel. She had avoided talking about Inuyasha much, except to say he was a half demon who helped her collect jewel shards. After both had thought over the other's stories for a few minutes, it went right back to "What kind of idiot do you think I am?" And they were now glaring at each other across the breakfast table.

Shippo had been allowed to come down when they realized, despite their loud arguments, the household was still asleep. Kagome had fixed breakfast for herself and Shippo, leaving Yusuke to almost set himself on fire trying to make his own. Now the kitsune was looking between the two, who despite having both finished their breakfast, seemed preoccupied at trying to win the glaring contest.

He sighed and shook his head. If only there was a way to prove Kagome was right, then at least they wouldn't be glaring so much. Shippo left the room, making his way back to Kagome's room. She had her school thing, so this might be a good time to catch up on his sleep.

He paused at the bottle of shards, then grabbed it, dropping his own inside before putting it back and jumping onto the bed. He curled up on her pillow, looking as much like a stuffed animal as was possible for a living, breathing creature.

Downstairs the two had finished their glaring contest, and Yusuke had gone for a walk outside, while Kagome went to get ready for school. It had ended in a draw, and both were still grumbling about that.

Kagome sighed as she finished packing for school. She glanced up at the clock. 'I still have plenty of time before school. Maybe I should apologize. After all, my story is just as unbelievable as his. I'll agree to keep an open mind if he does.' She grinned to herself, and went to find the other teenager. It was too early in the morning for her to stay angry.

She looked around, spotting the path he had gone to. Actually, it was the path to the God Tree. She could see the God Tree in the distance and she smiled. In 500 years it hadn't changed much. As she went closer she started hearing voices. She frowned, their was Yusuke's voice, but the other was female. They came into view and Kagome gaped at the blue-haired girl floating above the roots of the God Tree.

"What do ya mean her story might be true? No one can travel back in time!"

"Now Yusuke, it is a bit of an odd story, but it might explain the well's energy." 'And that story of hers matches the story of the Shikon Jewel. Lord Koenma was right to worry about that jewel reappearing.

"I can't possibly imagine that girl going back in time to wander about the feudal era. Have you seen her? She wouldn't last a second against demons!"

Of course, no one had seen Kagome there yet, and she was getting a bit fed up with being ignored, and being called weak.

"Hey! Don't talk about things you know nothing about! I've faced plenty of demons!"

Two surprised faces turned to the angry teenager, and the blue haired girl quickly swept between the teens, slipping off of her oar and extending her hand.

"Oh, it's so nice to meet you. There aren't many mikos left you know, and you're quiet strong by what we've seen. My names Botan. And you're Kagome!"

Kagome took the extended hand, surprised that this girl was so friendly. She quickly shook herself, smiling back at her. "Um, yeah. I am Kagome. Nice to meet you." 'I think.'

"Oh yeah, Botan's the Grim Reaper." Yusuke had left out the detail that the Grim Reaper was a girl with blue hair too. For that matter, he'd left out his little mission about finding her too, and hadn't planned on telling her anything more than the brief outline he'd given her.

He smirked at the disbelieving look Kagome gave him. This was fun. Even arguing with her was fun. Wait...no, arguing with her was not fun, it was annoying...right?

Kagome turned her attention from Yusuke to Botan, angry from the smirk he had given her.

"Yup! That's my job! I've heard you travel through the well. Can anyone travel through the well? It must be exciting."

"Oh, it's exciting all right. And dangerous, there are demons everywhere who want the Shikon fragments. I think they're the key to getting through the well, but I'm not sure, because Inuyasha can get through without them. Probably has something to do with his rosary. Actually, talking about demons, there's something I want to ask you."

"Ok, shoot!"

"In the feudal era, demons and humans all live around each other, and demons are constantly attacking humans villages and such. Yet, Yusuke mentioned something about a demon world?"

Botan smiled, and clapped her hands together. "Oh, that's a short and easy explanation. About four hundred and fifty years ago, most of the demons were moved to this other world. It had always been there, but many demons preferred living with the humans. Free meal I suppose. Anyway, what happened was Lord Koenma's father, in order to preserve both species from killing each other, forced most of the demons to move to there own separate world. To stay this time, no more journeying back and forth. Only demons that were friendly towards humans and strong enough in magic to disguise themselves were allowed to stay. That's probably why you've never sensed any demons, there aren't many left, and the ones that are here are disguised."

Kagome sighed, she supposed that made sense. It made her wonder what had happened to some of the demons she had met. And Sesshoumaru...he said he hated humans, yet there was Rin. Had he stayed or gone? And what about Kouga's wolf pack, and other demons? Though, Kouga hadn't been very friendly towards humans until he'd decided she was his woman.

A thought occurred to her. If they knew what had happened to the demons, then maybe they knew about the Shikon jewel!

"Botan, what about the Shikon jewel? Do you know whatever happened to it? Do we collect all the shards in the end."

Botan shook her head, sighing slightly. "Sorry, I don't know much about the Shikon no Tama besides the legends. No one really does, besides that it was a bit dangerous."

Kagome smiled weakly. A bit dangerous, that was an understatement. "Oh. Well, thanks anyway!" Kagome turned on a bright cheery smile, met by Botan's own.

"Your welcome! I must be going now you two, I have to report to Lord Koenma, I'll see you in a few days Yusuke."

Yusuke nodded, then turned to the girl in front of him. Well, he had made a fool of himself yet again by not believing. Still, her tale was pretty unbelievable! His pride warred inside him. He couldn't just apologize, she had lost her temper too!

Kagome made it much easier on him by approaching him, smile gone and a serious look on her face. "Yusuke, I have to apologize for my behavior earlier. It was rude of me not to keep an open mind after what I've been through myself."

Yusuke was surprised to say the least. With the temper and stubbornness she'd shown earlier, he hadn't expected her to apologize. Well, he might as well meet her halfway.

"Yeah, I guess I'm sorry too. Though you have to admit, my story was much more believable than yours."

Kagome's eyes flashed in anger. "Why you! "Is is..." the 'not' died in her throat when she saw an all-too-familiar amused grin on his face. She fumed, but couldn't help smiling back.

"Jerk."

He had to admit, getting her mad was certainly fun. But the smile at the end was something unexpected, and Yusuke wanted that smile now, more than he wanted to argue. 'Woah, back up here. You are not falling for a girl you've only known for a couple of days! She's cute, but one heartbreak was enough!'

Fortunately Kagome had already turned, and didn't notice the changing of expressions on Yusuke's face. "Come on Yusuke, we should get back to the house. I want to finish packing for school, and find out everything about why Shippo's here. And I doubt you want to spend all day on our property."

"So, why am I coming back to the house? I can just as easily wander about here as in the streets."

"Because I said so."

It took a few seconds for that sentence to sink in, and by the time he worked up a response she was walking away. "Hey! I don't take orders from you! Listen to me! KAGOME!" He ran after her, and all that met his yells was the faint sound of laughter.


---Spirit World---

Koenma was pacing on his desk. He had sent for Kurama and Hiei for back up incase it was needed. He had heard part of Botan's report already, and didn't really want to hear the rest. Why did there have to be such a thing as reincarnation? Why did there have to be a time traveling well?

"And sir, the most distressing news is, she shattered the Shikon!" Botan finished her report with that statement, and Koenma turned to her with shock filled eyes.

"She did what? What kind of Guardian is she? So now we don't have to worry about one jewel, we have to worry about the fragments of several! If she makes even one wrong move, she could destroy history!"

On this positive statement, the two previously mentioned demons entered.

"We have come. You said it was important?" Kurama of course, being as polite as possible since his extra sensitive hearing had caught the last statement, and now he was really worried. Hiei, of course, just glared.

"Yes, very important! What do you two know of the Shikon Jewel?"

For once both demons had a similar reaction, that of shock. "I've heard the legends." Kurama stated carefully.

Koenma shot him an annoyed glance. "I'm sure you know more than the legends Kurama. You were a thief, you have to know more than just the stories."

Kurama sighed, but gave a slight nod. "I know that it is incredibly powerful, powerful enough to destroy the world if it fell into the hands of the corrupt. But, as far as I know, it was burnt alongside its Guardian over 500 years ago."

"It was. That soul was reincarnated. Along with the Shikon no Tama. And that has to do with what I want you two to do."

"I suppose you want it stolen? Really, that's not a very good idea..." Kurama trailed off as Koenma vigorously shook his head.

"No! That's the worst possible choice I could make! She's the only one who can purify it, and collect it!"

"Collect it?"

"It was broken, but besides that, she's traveling back in time in a well. Yusuke can probably take care of the miko, but he can't watch the miko and the well at the same time. I don't want anything coming through the well or going into it that's not one of the miko's friends."

'A miko...It's been centuries since there was a strong one. I wonder why this is only coming up now?'

Kurama shook himself out of his thoughts as Hiei snorted.

"That's it, watch a well? How simple. Anyone can do that. I thought this might actually be a challenge."

Hiei turned to leave, but Koenma was speaking again.

"Oh, the watching may be simple, but what happens if something does get through the well, or something comes for the jewel? I'd imagine anything able to come through the well would certainly be strong."

Hiei stopped, and Kurama voiced both of their decisions.

"This should prove interesting. I'm sure we both look forward to the challenge."

Koenma looked much happier, and was grinning. "Good! Oh yes, remember to make sure Yusuke's there if you introduce yourselves to the miko. We don't want you two purified out of existence over a misunderstanding, do we?"

Hiei glared. 'No silly ningen girl could possibly hurt me.'

Kurama simply nodded, and both turned to leave, one curious about how after centuries the Shikon was back, the other eager for anything resembling a challenge.

---Higurashi Shrine, 10 minutes later---

Kagome had finally finished packing her school books, and had double checked to make sure she wasn't leaving anything behind. Shippo had told her the story while she was packing, of the two shards Kikyou and Inuyasha had found, and how Kikyou had put them all asleep and he had taken off with the other shard to find her.

Kagome sighed, she would probably be going back soon, and again would have to forgive Inuyasha for not only being with Kikyou, but trusting her. She shook her head, you'd think he would learn after everything she'd done. But he couldn't let go of what Kikyou'd been.

Yusuke was presently beating her little brother at a video game. Every time her brother would demand a rematch. Souta seemed to think if he just went at it long enough, he could beat him.

Kagome shook her head, starting out the door. She stiffened at the threshold, sensing a familiar demon presence. And for that matter, two unfamiliar ones. She stepped outside, staring at the scene in front of her. There was Inuyasha, with Tetsusaiga positioned in front of him. A demon wearing black and with a katana out was glaring at the hanyou from the trees. Kagome was startled at the last presence. It was a demon, but his aura felt a bit like Shippo's...kitsune? And also a bit of human? That was confusing, and he also had a whip-like weapon out.

She felt Yusuke come up behind her, also stopping to stare at the scene.

"Hiei? Kurama?"

All three fighters were still staring at each other, but Inuyasha looked like he was getting impatient.

"I don't know what the hell you want, but if it's for the jewel, you ain't gettin' it."

Kagome turned to look at Yusuke. "Friends of yours?"

"Well, those two are yeah, but I don't know who-"

"He's a friend of mine. I suppose I'd better stop him."

"How? if you go in there now you could get hurt!"

Kagome ignored him, and Inuyasha was presently launching himself towards the other two. Kagome did the one thing she knew could stop him.

"Inuyasha! Sit boy!"

---------------

Please review! Thanks to all who did and responses to them:

white miko: If it helps, there are a total of twenty chapters tot his story, counting the Epilogue. Sorry, no lemon or lime! It's only PG-13. Thanks for reviewing and please do so again!

christinatails: Hello again! Kagome said it, otherwise you'd have heard her yelling at Shippo for swearing.. I'll probably update every day or at least once a week. Thanks for reviewing agaiN! Glad to see someone is following it enough to follow every chapter.

AnimeAngel20: Thank you. I hope this was soon enough!

tbiris: Yeah, poor Yusuke, not as famous among everyone as he'd like, especially time travelers who had no idea Makai even existed! I'm glad it's interesting, I do try. Thank you for reviewing!