Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time Traveler Meets Spirit Detective ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own neither Yu Yu Hakusho nor Inuyasha.

----------------------

Chapter 5 - The Real Story

Three heads had whipped around to stare at her as the hanyou went crashing into the ground. One person on the other hand, simply started growling.

"Bitch! What was that for? They're demons! I know you're weak, but even you should know enough-"

"Sit."

Kagome sighed, watching Inuyasha slam into the ground once again. She turned to Yusuke who was looking between her and Inuyasha in confusion. Then he remembered what she'd told him of her travels. He hadn't thought someone like this girl would travel with would be so bad mannered.

"This is Inuyasha? The hanyou who helps collect jewel shards? What was that, some kind of spell?"

Kagome frowned, looking back at Inuyasha who was getting up as the spell wore off. She gave a simply nod to Yusuke. "Yes, I'll explain more in a minute."

Then she turned all of her attention to Inuyasha, and he had turned from the two at the tree line to glare at her. She sighed, technically, considering the experiences they had all had with demons, she couldn't blame him for wanting to attack, but if only he was a bit more patient! She shook her head and stepped towards him.

"Don't attack them Inuyasha. They're friends of Yusuke's." She motioned behind her and Inuyasha's eyes narrowed, and he looked to the black haired boy. His gaze shifted from him back to Kagome.

"Keh. Why should I care? Demons are demons, and they're probably after the jewel. Now wench, if you'll stop sitting me long enough for me to attack them, it wouldn't even take that long."

From behind him came a snort. Hiei had jumped down from the tree, and crimson eyes met gold. "You couldn't even touch me, half-breed."

Kagome groaned, if there was one thing Inuyasha couldn't handle, it was that insult. She looked pleadingly behind her to Yusuke that clearly was begging him to interfere.

Yusuke sighed inwardly, it would be hard to stop Hiei if they got fighting. Hell, the way Inuyasha had greeted the girl, he wasn't really inclined to want to stop him. Then she just had to turn that look onto him.

'Damnit, why do these things happen? Why should I try to stop him? Besides, it would be a good way to get to know how strong this guy is. All right, so afterwards Kagome would hate me and this Inuyasha guy might be dead, but...'

One more glance at pleading blue eyes and he grimaced. He nodded and she smiled brightly. Seeing the smile, Yusuke decided it might just be worth it. He turned his attention to the two who both had swords drawn. Yusuke's eyes widened. In a few seconds there wouldn't be an Inuyasha.

"Inuyasha, Sit!"

"Hiei!" Yusuke glared at the fire demon. The fire demon glared right back, and Kurama was still silent, studying the miko girl who was running to the hanyou, crouching down and whispering into his ears.

As Hiei and Yusuke went into a battle of wills, Kurama started forward, stopping a few feet away from the girl and dog-eared boy.

"Excuse me. Forgive us for our hasty decision. We simply saw you coming out of the well house and, knowing nothing about the girl's friends, assumed you were a demon sent to harm her."

The girl looked confused, and the hanyou was pulling himself off the ground, still eyeing him with anger and suspicion. Seeing the look of confusion, Kurama quickly added onto his explanation, wanting to cool of this situation as much as possible.

"I'm sure you know something of Yusuke's job. We have helped Yusuke on numerous missions, along with another team member. We were sent her by Lord Koenma, for a few different reasons, mostly that you being a miko, and Guardian of the Shikon no Tama, need to be watched. We were sent to watch the well and make sure no one besides you or your friends got through. Unfortunately, we had no information on your friends, and seeing a demon, we assumed that he was a danger."

Now Kagome's confusion was gone, but Inuyasha's was only beginning.

"Wha? Team? What? Kagome, what the hell is going on? Nevermind, it doesn't matter, where's the runt? I bet he's the one who took me and Kikyou's jewel shards!"

Kagome's temper flared, and she immediately tightened her control over her miko powers. No matter how mad she was, she did not want to purify Inuyasha.

"You jerk! The only shard Shippo had is the one Miroku and Sango got! He would never steal from us! Kikyou stole your precious jewel shards! Why don't you go ask her to give them back and leave me alone!"

Inuyasha's ears flattened, but he shook off the all too familiar feeling off guilt.

"Keh! It doesn't matter either way wench, we need to go find more shards!"

Kagome gave him a look of mixed disbelief and rage.

"Sit! Sit, sit, sit, sit, sit! Do you even know why I left in the first place? I needed some time to myself! And some time to catch up with my friends! I've only been here a few days Inuyasha. Can't you leave me alone for a few days, especially after what you did?"

Her eyes filled with tears again, remembering the scene all too well. Yusuke and Hiei had stopped glaring at each other long ago, and had also stopped arguing on reasons they could not kill the hanyou. Now they had both stopped that, turning to see what had upset the miko enough to have her screaming, and now...crying?

The girl had turned away, running into the house and slamming the door. Hiei snorted, and started to make a comment about weak ningens, when he realized not one person would even be noticing. All three of the other boys were looking towards the house. Kurama with a surprised frown, the half-breed with guilt, and Yusuke had clenched his fists, shock on his face first, then anger.

"Kurama, Hiei watch him. I'm going to go talk to Kagome."

'Apparently I'm not the only one who left out parts of my story. She left out what a bastard that demon is.'

He didn't notice his team members giving him slightly surprised looks. Or at least, Kurama giving him a slightly surprised look. And perhaps slightly pleased. 'He really has been moping about for awhile. Yet, he seems concerned for the girl. Interesting, people don't make friends with people like us easily.'

Kurama smiled slightly, then looked down at the hanyou. "So, what was the girl talking about?"

Inuyasha growled, his attention still focused on where the boy had disappeared. Why would he go talk to Kagome? Who was this boy? His growl went deeper, and he simply flattened his ears to the question.

Hiei was there in a flash. "Answer the question half-breed." Hiei didn't really think this one would be much trouble, but he was itching for a fight. And this idiot was giving him the perfect excuse.

Inuyasha had his hand on his sword in a flash, and Kurama groaned. Not again. Just then, right before the two could start trying to kill each other, another voice interrupted.

"I finally found you guys! When Botan told me about a new mission, I was wandering all over the city trying to find you guys!" A red head in a blue uniform stood there, looking around. "Hey! Where's Urameshi?"

"Great. The baka's here." This of course, was from a now frustrated Hiei. Was one little bloodbath so much to ask?

"What'd you say shorty?"

~~_~~

Kagome had ran up to her room. She was cursing inside. Why did she always have to cry? She really was weak. Her head snapped up as she heard someone else coming up the stairs. She frowned, trying to listen to the footsteps and sense the aura. Her emotions made her senses unstable, but she still caught the brief sense of Yusuke's aura a few moments before the door opened.

She turned her head away from the door, silencing her sobs and trying to hide her tears. She heard the door close, and opened her mouth to speak a few times, but closed it again. All that was swimming through her mind was Inuyasha. He had even gone as far as to blame Shippo just so the blame wouldn't be on his precious Kikyou.

Yusuke watched her for a few moments. She was sitting in the middle of the floor, and Yusuke felt another rush of rage at the hanyou outside the house. He shifted slightly. Well, this was going well. The girl was collapsed in the middle of the floor, probably crying by the small tremors that he could see run across her body sometimes.

"So...I think you left some parts of yours story out."

Yusuke winced. 'Yes, that's a great way to make her feel better. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a great way to get her mad at me!' Yusuke sighed, and looked down at her uneasily.

She surprised him, her tone came out good-naturedly, and it wasn't really that she was arguing either. "Look who's talking. At least I told you that one of my traveling companions was a half demons. I believe you may have left out the part about two of your friends being demons."

"Oh, yeah, well, maybe I did but...Hey! That has nothing to do with what I said! Who is that guy, really? All you said is that he's a hanyou who wants to collects the jewel shards for personal reasons. Besides that, by the little 'conversation' you two were having, there's a hell of a lot you didn't explain."

Kagome forced back a sigh. Did she really want to go and just tell him everything that had happened? With Kikyou, Inuyasha, and herself? She turned slightly, studying him. 'Well, he's the first person I've told about the well and the jewel fragments who wasn't my family besides the group. But, I've only known him a few days. Can I trust him?'

Kagome met his eyes, and for once there was no hint of an inner smirk. In fact, he seemed both curious and concerned. Concerned? What? She shook herself mentally then sighed, making her decision.

"Well, it all started 550 years ago, with a priestess named Kikyou..."

Yusuke listened in silence to the story. He knew she was probably still skipping more personal stuff, but even the little she was giving him was shocking. Not precisely the story itself, but the pain he could here in her voice.

'Damn, and I thought my love life was miserable. That bastard, how could anyone keep hurting someone like this? Hell, I don't even think Hiei is that insensitive!'

Kagome finished up her story of all their encounters with Kikyou, including finally, the most recent one that had sent her running home. Oddly enough, she seemed to have used up all her tears, and now was staring at the floor, waiting for a reaction. She wasn't too optimistic, and definitely didn't expect a hand placed gently on her shoulder to turn her slightly.

Yusuke had no idea what possessed him to walk over to the girl and place a hand on her shoulder. He had to be going insane. Then again...The image of tear stained face flashed briefly in front of his face and his brown eyes met her blue.

"None of it was your fault you know. This Kikyou...she's dead, no real soul, and you can't blame yourself for her stealing the jewel shards. As for Kikyou and Inuyasha..." he shrugged and shook his head. "Forget about it. From what you've said, he'll just keep trusting her whenever she makes up some excuse. He's stuck in the past."

Kagome stared, thinking over what he said. He was right in a way. She had told herself the same things before. Somehow, coming from someone else made it more real. And, more than that, he was right. Inuyasha would never forget Kikyou, and to him, she was just a part of Kikyou. 'How am I going to go jewel hunting now? He'll always be there, and I still love him. Damn him. Damn her. Why did I ever fall into the well?'

Yusuke briefly wondered if she knew she was saying her thoughts out loud, but by the distant look in her eyes, he doubted it. He watched her eyes flickering with emotions in frustration. This situation she was in definitely wasn't good, but it's not like he could do anything. He would have to...Yusuke's eyes landed on the jewel shards, remembering all she'd told him about them - and how the kitsune had gotten through with one.

Yusuke grinned, and cleared his throat. "Come on, I just had the greatest idea ever-" He glared at her as she raised an eyebrow, but she smiled disarmingly at him and he rolled his eyes. "-about the well, and the jewel shards. You seem to be having problems with fighting Naraku right? And my boss wants us to do something about this whole mess, so, we could join your group in the past and help!"

Kagome's eyes widened, then she looked dejected again. " I don't think Inuyasha would-"

He shook his head and cut her off. "Kag, I may have only known you a few days, but you don't exactly seem to be one to care if someone gives you permission. Besides, if I want to go, how would you plan to stop me?"

He gave her a cocky grin and she rolled her eyes, giving him a friendly glare.

"Good, that's settled, not let's go get the others."

Yusuke was out of the room in a flash, smirking to himself as he heard his new friend yelling at him. "Wait a second. I didn't agree to anything! Yusuke, get back here! Yusuke!"

~~__~~

As the two teenagers left the room, a small head lifted from where it had been curled next to a pillow. Shippo blinked, then grinned. More people? Well, anyone besides dog breath was an improvement, and that guy had done a pretty good job of calming Kagome down. He hated to see her like that, all of her spirit gone.

The kitsune ran out the door, running down the stairs to peer through a window outside. Three more new people. Shippo watched Inuyasha, seeing how he was glaring at the teenager in green. That was one emotion Inuyasha knew well. Jealousy.

The kitsune slowly smirked. A few pushes in the right direction, and the two modern teens might actually give him something to be jealous about. Sure, right now they were just friends, but even Shippo could see they were obviously attracted to each other, and that Yusuke had helped Kagome gave him bonus points.

Shippo's attention was drawn away as he watched the other three new boys. The boy in blue had a look similar to Miroku's, and he grabbed Kagome's hands, saying something and trying to show off muscle. Kagome pulled her hands away, and Shippo studied the two who had a demon presence about them.

Shippo put his little paws to the window, pushing it outwards so that he could catch their scents. At the same time the one with red hair and green eyes turned his head at the slight movement. For a few seconds they stared at each other, one surprised at what he saw, the other shocked at what he smelled.

'Another kitsune...'

-------------------------

Sorry, no individual responses today, just a general thank you for all of you who did review. Please do so again.