Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Treasure Buried Deep Within ❯ TBDW2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Treasure Buried Deep Within: Chapter 2

Kurama found himself following the sway of a pair of mesmerizing hips. The long dormant urges of Youko were straining to pull his strings. The urges of Youko had only become dormant during the past few years under rigorous will power of his own. But right now, he could fill his hands itching to grasp those hips however he firmly held himself in check. He clenched his fists at his side and followed with a determined stride that never betrayed his conflict of interests.

Kagome turned to smile at her research partner. "So, any clue why they decided to team up our masterminds?" Her sapphire eyes twinkled with a mixture of excitement and warmth.

An irresistible, lopsided teasing smile appeared on the face of Shuuichi Minamino. "Perhaps it's because they wanted the best." That earned him a lighthearted laugh from the woman before him.

She shook her head, "We better not let them know we're here then, I'd hate to get sent home early when those guys arrive." Kurama fought the urge to smile in return as his gaze slipped past her shoulders towards an area that was currently hidden under a large tent.

"Is that our destination?"

Kagome nodded excitedly and much to Kurama's surprise latched onto his wrist and dragged him behind her the rest of the distance. She waved at a mounted camera outside of the tent, high dollar security at it's best, before pushing aside the flap at the entrance and leading the way inside.

The security personnel were in another tent nearby securing the entire area. They barely noticed the young scientist waving at them as they turned to brew another batch of coffee.

Kurama allowed his emerald orbs to adjust to the dim light inside the tent. He noticed that Kagome still held his wrist within her hand, he was curious if she realized that she was doing so. He didn't bother to bring it to her attention. It felt good to allow a woman to touch him in such a familiar way. Normally, it was not something he would have allowed.

Kagome released him, not seeming to realize the extended contact. Kurama wasn't sure if that made him more or less comfortable. He wouldn't worry about that for now, the curiosity that had always driven him, no matter what lifetime, was jumping up and down in anticipation.

"This is what we have found," Kagome explained as she directed her colleague's attention to the ground. Layers of sand had been brushed away revealing large quantities of petrified wood.

Kurama was skeptical. It was his nature to not believe things at face value without analyzing all the facts. He raised a red eyebrow in inquiry and leaned closer to examine the wood. "What makes you think this is part of the horse? Many things were made of wood in the city of Troy."

That's when Kagome became excited and turned away from him. He watched as she walked towards a box of tools and retrieved two pairs of latex gloves. She put on one pair and offered the other to her partner.

She sat on her knees and picked up a piece of wood that looked to have already been cleaned carefully and gestured for Kurama to join her on the floor. "This my dear friend Minamino, is why we have decided it is from Troy."

Kurama almost corrected her on his name, he wanted to encourage her to call him by Kurama, or Shuuichi at least. He didn't want to be on a last name basis, which was very, unromantic. Not that he was interested in something romantic. He just wanted to get along with his partner. The words stuck in his throat when he noticed the scratch or rather graffiti on the wood. It was quite curious.

"If you think about it, it makes sense. They were inside that horse for many hours. They had to entertain themselves some way." Kagome offered, noticing the look of puzzlement and bewilderment that crossed across his features.

Kurama examined the wood closely. "You are certain of the dating?"

Kagome shrugged. "It's not an exact science but from our measurements it's from the right time frame."

He kept silent. He was familiar with the story that the king by the name of Odysseus had envisioned the use of the Trojan Horse. This scrap of wood seemed a bit too convenient. There was script inside, a poem really. And it was signed by Odysseus. "Have you analyzed the words of the poem?"

Watching him carefully, Kagome sighed. "It's not really anything. Best we can gather it's something about missing his wife. My Greek isn't perfect. I'm not familiar with all the different regional dialects of that time period."

Kurama stopped listening to her. There was only one way for him to know for sure. The wood had been dead far longer that anything he had ever tried to commune with before. He tried to summon it's spirit but it was useless, it had long since departed from the specimen.

"What do you think?" Kagome asked anxiously. Her eyes bore into his own. "I was under the impression that you were an expert when it came to items that were once living plants."

A frown marred Kurama's face as he tried to examine the script again. He set it back down carefully in the original position Kagome had found it. "I apologize, but this particular piece escapes my expertise. Perhaps it has to do with it being petrified."

Kagome rocked on her heels before standing up and stretching. She offered Kurama a hand. "Don't worry Minamino, there are always other ways."

"I would prefer if you didn't call me by my last name, Kagome." Kurama told her gently, his voice revealing a soothing deep timber as he accepted her hand without thinking.

"Certainly Kurama. Come on, I'll show you around and lead you to where we can collect our gear." Kagome began to lead Kurama further into the dark tent. Soon he found that the tent not only protected the petrified wood but also had a system of tunnels. "This is thought to be the underground system that led the surviving Trojans out of the city and away from the blood thirsty Greeks," she explained when she noticed Kurama had paused to examine the architecture.

The two entered into a chamber that was full of electrical equipment. Kagome heaved a large bag onto her shoulders before leading the way back out. Kurama followed, memorizing the details of his environment. It all certainly looked authentic. Looks could be deceiving in this line of business though.

Kagome deposited the bag outside of the tent and started to rummage through the items. She handed Kurama what appeared to be a walkie-talkie, some sort of global positioning device that took images of the earth via satellite connection and analyzed the densities of the land. Next she pulled out what looked like the standard archeological digging tools in a leather bag that could be wrapped around one's waist like a tool belt. Finally she pulled out what appeared to be a watch.

"That's all of the basic equipment we are issued." Kagome sat and observed Kurama as he began to examine the items. "So," Kagome began she was curious about a research paper he had written in reference to a theory that the vegetation of Japan was directly related to the belief in the existence of youkai.

Kurama looked up at her and granted her his undivided attention. His eyes focused on her lips that seemed on the brink of asking some pivotal question. His heart started to race over the possibilities but his outward appearance remained akin to that of a marble statue.

Kagome opened her mouth to ask her question but found herself drowning in his emerald eyes. Her cellular phone, sitting forgotten in her pocket, beeped to life. Startled, she held it out to see the caller's identity. It was a secure line, but anonymous. "Hello?"

Kurama strained to hear what was being said over the phone. He was oddly disappointed that she wasn't able to ask him whatever question she had for him. Granted, it was probably something boring, like in reference to one of his papers, but maybe she was feeling attracted to him as he was to her.

Kagome frowned, it didn't appear to be good news. Both of their attention was directed skyward when a large helicopter came into view. Kagome dropped her cell phone to her side as she stared in confusion at the arrival.

"Who was that?" Kurama demanded, grabbing hold of Kagome's shoulder to pull her out of her stupor. She turned towards him and blinked at him slowly.

"This particular excavation is being funded by billionaire Sir Thomas Slate. He's the one paying the grants for your and my work in the field. He has sent the helicopter for us. He wants us on a special assignment." Kagome explained. The expression on her face betrayed her calm voice. This was a highly unusual request.

"Shuuichi Minamino? Kagome Higurashi?" An authoritative voice demanded. The voice belonged to muscle bound man with short cropped blond hair and a deep scar running under his right eye. The two in questioned nodded. "Come with me, Sir Slate is anxious." The man offered no name.

Kagome stayed rooted to the spot. "But what about this site? We've just discovered groundbreaking," the no nonsense glare of the large man caused the rest of her sentence to trail off.

"Sir Slate is a busy man." The man held out his arm in open invitation for the two to climb aboard the helicopter. There was plenty of room on the bird.

After securing himself in his seat, Kurama was only mildly surprised when Kagome moved from her seat across from him to beside him. She sat so close that their hips and thighs brushed against one another but neither moved to avoid the contact.

Kurama looked at her and offered his most warm and reassuring smile. "It will be alright. This will be the adventure of a lifetime." He reached down to gently squeeze her knee before focusing on the blond haired man who was concealing a gun in his blazer. Kurama hoped that Kagome wouldn't notice the weapon.

He started to remove his hand from her knee when she trapped it there with her own hand. She lay her palm across the back of his hand and entwined their fingers. Her eyes were focused on the gun, apparently she had seen it.

He squeezed their fingers reassuringly. "Don't worry," he whispered softly in her ear, emerald eyes transfixed on the man before him. She nodded and offered a weak smile.

"So where are we meeting Sir Slate?" Kurama inquired his voice cold and calculating. It was the intimidating quality he loved most about his voice.

"Mr. Minamino that information is classified."

"Why do you have a gun?" Kagome ventured. The armed man allowed his eyes to flicker down to the sidearm inside his blazer. It obviously wasn't concealed enough.

"That is none of your concern." He offered the two a patronizing smirk. "Don't worry, I'm under strict orders to see that you two arrive alive and fully functional."

Kagome slunk deep against the back of her seat to mutter, "Well that's reassuring."

Kurama couldn't help but smile at her childish attitude. Frankly, he was a bit disappointed in himself. He had just been abducted more or less by a man with a gun and was he concerned? No. He was feeling giddy because some girl he had known for half an hour was holding his hand.

If Hiei or Yusuke could see him now he would never hear the end of this one.