Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Battle Lord Chronicles: Under A Bloody Moon ❯ The Seals ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I absolutely loved writing this chapter, especially the end (grins) And because I just know someone is going to ask, no, there's nothing going on between Sasori and Kristy. It's just Deidara's twisted mind. You'll see what I'm talking about (smirks) Well, please read, REVIEW, and enjoy! Ja ne!
 
--Oh, and just before the story starts I have the list of Jinchuuriki and their youkai. I hope that helps!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Naruto. Kiara is owned by Yusuke'sSister.
 
Claimer: I do own the plot line, the Kuro Tournament, Kristy, Jason, Jessica, Chris, Bashere, and anything else related to them.
 
(1) - Hunter-nin is the term given to shinobi who hunt down criminal and Missing-nin. They are special unit within the hidden villages and are sometimes considered to be a part of the ANBU.
 
(2) - Hachibi means eight tails.
 
"Talking"
'Thinking'
'Telepathy'
 
Jinchuuriki - Youkai name - # of Tails - Youkai type
Itachi - Tasuki - six/Rokubi - weasel
Deidara - Sadao - seven/Shichibi - badger
Sasori - Kenta - four/Yonbi - scorpion
unknown - Nobuo - eight/Hachibi - unknown
 
Thanks to my beta reader, Anna Jaganshi.
 
---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X- --X---X---X---X---X---X---
 
Under A Bloody Moon
 
Chapter 7
The Seals
 
---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X- --X---X---X---X---X---X---
 
It took many months after my spar with Sasori for the house to be completely finished. By the time the year anniversary of my arrival in this world had rolled around, we'd completely settled in and the builders had been sent off with their memories several months lighter but their pockets several pounds heavier.
 
On that day in the beginning of summer, I kneeled before a small stone shrine that I'd built in honor of my brother. Though I couldn't believe it, it'd already been more than a year since he'd been killed. A whole year...Kami, it seemed like only an instant since we'd been fighting in the Kuro Tournament.
 
With my head hanging down, I stared solemnly at the ground beneath me. Even just two years ago I'd been so immature. I'd known nothing of youkai back then and, really, nothing of the world. Then, in the blink of an eye, everything changed. Unshakable truths became lies and lies revealed their truths. It was a miracle I'd stayed sane, I realized now, when my entire world had been turned on its head.
 
Just within the past year so much had changed. I hadn't seen any of my friends in so long, though it seemed like just yesterday that we'd been fighting alongside each other. I'd become good friends with Itachi and Deidara though, and was even getting along with Sasori. I'd also spoke to the Biju several more times, though mainly to Tasuki--Sadao still seemed to hate my guts and I'd be lying if I said that Kenta didn't creep me out just a little.
 
Other than that I'd been settling into life here pretty well and was training almost all the time. It was disappointing that I hadn't managed to find anymore youkai, but I hadn't given up hope yet; after all, I'd promised to find them all before I found a way to get back to the Makai.
 
Soft footsteps behind me alerted me to someone's approach. I made no move to acknowledge them, even as a pair of sandal-clad feet stopped next to me. The person--Itachi I noticed from the corner of my eye--slowly lowered himself until he was kneeling as well.
 
"He was your brother, right?" Itachi asked softly.
 
For a long moment I didn't say anything. Then, without consciously willing myself to, I opened my mouth and replied, "Yes." My voice was thick with emotion and yet strangely monotone at the same time.
 
"It...must have been hard to lose him," Itachi continued hesitantly. "I...I honestly can't even imagine how my little brother must feel. I may not be dead, but I'm a traitor. I murdered our entire clan."
 
Curiously I glanced over at Itachi. He never talked about his little brother--Sasuke, I think his name was--or about what'd happened on the night that I'd first met him.
 
"You'll see him again eventually," I told Itachi after a minute. "You'll be able to explain to him what actually happened."
 
Almost instantly Itachi began to shake his head. "No," he said firmly--almost desperately. "I'll never tell him the truth. I'd much rather have him believe that I'm an evil murderer than to have him know about what our parents did--about what power-hungry bastards our entire clan was. He's always held them up on such a pedestal...I will never take that knowledge away from him. Never. He's still just a child anyway--only eight years old now."
 
I frowned at Itachi, but said nothing. It was his choice.
 
After another minute Itachi suddenly stood. "Come," he said while offering a hand down to me. “Let's go back to the house; it's getting late."
 
"I thought that shinobi liked the dark," I said teasingly to Itachi while accepting his hand. The dark haired boy rolled his eyes and chuckled as he helped me to me feet. That was another breakthrough that he'd reached recently: he'd laugh sometimes, when he was relaxed. That may not seem like much, but for the ever-solemn Itachi it was a lot.
 
As we walked back to the house the building quickly came into view. It was a massive thing, three stories tall with many windows. It's style was a mix of ancient and modern Japan that I'd found to be very common in this world. I was also becoming quite fond of it myself.
 
I stepped through the front door and found myself standing in the entrance hall. Directly off of it was the rather large living room, which was furnished with numerous couches, chairs, and tables. There Itachi and I found both Sasori and Deidara.
 
As soon as he saw me, Deidara jumped up from his seat and bounced over to me. He latched onto one of my wrists then and dragged me over to one of the couches.
 
"I was just talking to Sasori about the organization idea, Kristy-chan," he said excitedly.
 
Immediately I began to groan. "Not that again, Deidara!" I exclaimed.
 
"Yes, yes, that," he bulldozed on. "I think it's a perfect idea! We're all strong fighters and we're still taking on missions, so it makes sense to form an organization. We'll be able to make a name for ourselves and it could help to call more jinchuuriki to us. Not to mention that it's just kick-ass cool to be able to say that you belong to an organization."
 
"We've already been over this," I reminded Deidara with a sigh. "It'd bring too much attention to us. Plus, there are only four of us. It's kind of difficult to form an organization with just four people."
 
Deidara easily waved my protest off. "There'll be more of us soon enough."
 
I rolled my eyes. "That doesn't change the fact that it'd bring attention to us. We don't want attention, remember? We're hiding." With a sigh I moved to my feet. "I still stand by my argument. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take a bath and since we don't have running water that's going to take a while."
 
With that I left a pouting Deidara behind and a headed upstairs. I was well and truly exhausted.
 
---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X- --X---X---X---X---X---X---
 
The next day found me out in the cave that led to the Valley. More specifically, I was near the entrance at the base of the mountain so that I had enough light to see. Sasori sat nearby, watching me as I ran a hand along the cave wall.
 
"What're we doing out here again?" he asked while holding back a yawn of boredom.
 
"I'm trying to figure out how to attach youkai channeling seals to this rock wall. You are here to help me test it when I'm done."
 
Sasori raised an eyebrow. "And what, pray tell, are the seals for?"
 
"Well," I began while throwing a grin over my shoulder to the redhead, "As you know, I'm the only one who can move people quickly through the cave via the shadows. This is unpractical, and while you could just walk all the way through the tunnel, it's too dangerous to leave an easy way to get into the Valley.
 
"So, what I'd like to do to solve this dilemma is use seals--hence why I've been studying chakra seals a lot lately--to create a permanent wall of chakra here, one that's always in "travel mode", if you will. This wall will instantly transport anyone whose energy signature is keyed into it into the Valley, where a similar wall will be set up. Anyone who isn't keyed into the shadows won't even see the wall, let along be able to use it. To them it'll be as if it doesn't exist.
 
"Now the problem," I continued, "Is actually putting the seals on the wall. The reason I'm using seals is because I can use them as a sort of youki anchor. Once I put the wall of shadows up I'll channel energy into the seals, which will then hold it. The seals should only need to be 'reenergized' once every year or so."
 
Through my explanation Sasori's eyebrows had continued to climb on his forehead. When I finally finished he let out a low whistle.
 
"So that's why you've been spending so much time reading through those old scrolls. You've been researching."
 
I smirked at Sasori. "Yep. I've been looking for a way to secure the Valley for a while now. Not to mention that it took quite a while to figure out how to modify the seals so that they could channel youki without bursting into flames. Seals are also a very useful thing to know about; there's so much that can be accomplished with them that we have no way of doing in the Makai. Plus, there's the seals that all you jinchuuriki have. I mean, even if I do find all of you and get back to the Makai, I currently have no way of actually releasing the youkai from within you. I'm hoping that by learning more about seals, I'll eventually figure a way to unseal the youkai."
 
Sasori nodded his understanding. "So what's the problem with the wall that you're having right now?" he asked.
 
"Like I said, the problem is actually getting the seals onto the wall. As you can see, it's jagged and rocky, as all caves naturally are, and I'm not sure how that'll affect the seal when I draw them on..."
 
"Why not just smooth out the area of the wall where you're going to put the seals?"
 
"I've thought of doing that," I replied, "But it would be obvious to anyone walking through here that it'd be done on purpose, and the point is to avoid notice."
 
Sasori stayed silent for several minutes, thinking. Then, quite suddenly, he jumped up from his seat and began pacing back and forth.
 
"What about that thing that you're able to do?" he asked quickly. "You know, where you can make people not notice things--like they're invisible, only they aren't really."
 
For a moment excitement began to build within me, but just as quickly it disappeared. "That won't work," I said sadly. "The entire reason as to why I'm using seals is because youki won't continue to do what you want it to if it's on its own, and it'll eventually fade away."
 
"But that's just it!" Sasori continued impatiently. "You can create seals for invisibility, just as you've done for the shadows. Seals to make the smooth part of the wall unnoticeable!"
 
My eyes widened as I quickly caught onto Sasori's idea. "That's it!" I exclaimed excitedly. "Seals to hide seals! Kami, why didn't I think of that before?!"
 
At once I grabbed onto Sasori's shoulder and transported the two of us through the shadows and into the entrance hall of our house. Sasori stumbled backwards in surprise as we reappeared, but I paid him no mind. Instead I immediately began to race up the two flights of stairs the house had and came out on the third floor. Once there I dashed into a large room that was filled scrolls of every shape, size, and color imaginable.
 
It actually hadn't taken us very long to procure this collection. This was mainly due to Sasori's seemingly infinite contacts, many of whom sold rare scrolls--usually illegally. Two years ago I might have been concerned about that, but now I really couldn't care less, especially since I knew why Itachi, Deidara, and Sasori were "criminals".
 
While the boys generally used the scrolls to learn new fighting techniques, I used them to learn the art of seals. At this moment there were several scrolls on sealing techniques spread out across a large wooden table in the middle of the room. Not wanting to waste any time, I strode over to the table, sat down before it, and then began the long process of looking up exactly what I was going to need for my plan to work.
 
---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X- --X---X---X---X---X---X---
 
A firm knock on the door broke me from my state intense concentration. Blinking in surprise, I looked up to watch as the sliding rice paper door opened and Sasori stuck his head in.
 
"Are...you alright?" he asked hesitantly. He sounded annoyed, not so much at me but at the fact that he was even asking.
 
I stared at Sasori blankly, wondering what the heck he was doing. As soon as I came out of my moment of surprise however, a bright grin broke across my face.
 
"Ah, Sasori-chan, I didn't know you cared!" I exclaimed. Of course, this only annoyed the redheaded shinobi further.
 
"I don't!" he snapped defensively. "We drew straws and I was the one who had to come up and ask! So, dammit, are you alright?!"
 
"Deny it all you want," I teased. Slowly, my expression became more serious. "As sweet as it is...Why are you asking me if I'm okay?"
 
For a minute Sasori stared uncomprehendingly at me. Then, suddenly, a strange expression came over his face.
 
"Kristy..." he began slowly, "You've been up here for almost 36 hours."
 
Once again I blinked in surprise. "Eh?! Are you serious?!"
 
"No, I'm playing a practical joke on you," Sasori growled sarcastically.
 
I paused to consider that. "Yeah, you're right, you must be telling the truth," I said finally. "You would never play a practical joke. ...Unless you got really, really drunk. Then you might."
 
Sasori rolled his eyes. "Look," he grunted. "Will you just come down with me before Deidara sends out a full search party? You need to eat something, after all."
 
As if someone had flipped a switch in my brain my eyes suddenly lit up with excitement. I picked up a sheet of paper and began waving it around in front of me. Sasori raised his eyebrows as he attempted to read the illegible writing sprawled across it.
 
"I can't!" I exclaimed happily. "I think I've just completed the invisibility seals. Surprisingly they're not quite as complex as the ones that will hold the shadows in place. I guess that makes sense though, since shadows are more...intangible...than raw energy." Before Sasori could even open his mouth to reply I suddenly leaped over to him and latched onto one of his wrists. "Come on, let's test it out!" I exclaimed as I once again transported us through the shadows and into the entrance of the cave.
 
Without a moment's hesitation I rushed over to one of the cave walls. The first thing I needed to do was create a foot wide strip of smoothed down rock that ran up the wall of the cave, kind of like an arch. That task was accomplished easily enough with my fire and psychic energy. Once that was done I drew the seals in intervals all along the rock. This was the most difficult part, but also the most important, and once I was satisfied with my work the only thing that was left to do was activate the wall of shadows.
 
I took a deep breath as I stood before the wall. I'd already done this before, on the inside of the Valley, but that one didn't have the invisibility seals, and so might work differently. Well, there was only one way to find out.
 
Channeling the youki was probably the hardest part because it took so much energy--this would have to last for quite a while after all. Following that I had to tie the shadows to the seal by channeling my youki into them. For several long seconds I held my breath as nothing happened. Then, quite suddenly, the shadows flickered into existence, strong as ever. I slowly cut off the youki I had flowing into the seals, but the shadows didn't fall.
 
"Yes!" I exclaimed loudly. "It worked!"
 
Sasori approached me from behind. "Uh, Kristy, there's nothing there."
 
My grin never faltered. "It seems that way to you because your chakra isn't keyed into it yet. Which means that the invisibility seals are working perfectly as well!" Even as Sasori opened his mouth to reply I tugged his arm towards the shadows. "Come on," I said. "I've just go to mix your chakra into it to key you in."
 
Sasori sighed but relented, allowing me to pull him up next to the wall. Slowly I used my youki to coerce his to mix with the shadows. Almost immediately the seals drew the chakra in and I could tell by Sasori's sudden gasp that he could now see the shadows.
 
"There!" I continued excitedly. "Now to test it..." Abruptly I pushed Sasori forward, towards the wall of shadows. He squawked--a very strange sound coming from him--in indignant surprise and attempted to regain his balance, but the second he touched the shadows he was drawn in and instantly disappeared.
 
"So it does work then!" I commented with a grin before striding into the shadows myself. When I came out on the other side I found Sasori lying on the ground, swirly eyed. "Thanks for being my guinea pig, Saso-chan," I told the older shinobi with a smirk. Whistling an airy tune, I walked away.
 
---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X- --X---X---X---X---X---X---
 
Itachi and Deidara stared up the stairs with trepidation. "You think he's dead?" Deidara whispered to Itachi.
 
The younger boy shrugged, though there was a wary light in his eyes. "He's been up there for a while," he admitted.
 
For a moment neither of them spoke as they continued to stare up the stairs. Then Deidara turned to Itachi again.
 
"Should we...check on them?" he asked. Itachi just stared at him as if he was insane.
 
Deidara sighed and was going to return to his staring when suddenly he gasped in surprise, as if coming to a realization. "Wait!" he exclaimed. "I know what's going on! Kristy's up there all alone and he's gone up to comfort her...!" Without hesitation he abruptly dashed up the stairs, screaming at the top of his lungs, "Sasori! Get your hands off her!"
 
Itachi palmed his face. "Kami," he muttered. "Of all the stupid assumptions--"
 
"Hey!" Deidara suddenly exclaimed from above. "No one's here!" There was pause and then a gasp that was punctuated by a loud yell. "They've eloped!"
 
Itachi palmed his face again.