Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Disease ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It's been a month; I apologize for that. Life has not been kind to me, but that's okay. I got to see “Wicked” on Broadway two weeks ago, so my life is now complete. It is amazing! For those of you who don't know, it's about the Wicked Witch of the West from “The Wizard of Oz”. I'll try to do better updating; yell at me if it's more than two weeks and I haven't updated; I'll deserve it.
 
Serena SilverMoon: Something's affecting Kagome. I think you can guess what it is based on the title of this story. Email, email. For my stories, I use flutie101@gmail.com ; in case you can't tell, I play the flute, hence the name.
 
~*~
 
Kagome woke to the smell of something good cooking. Curling into a ball, she felt, or didn't feel, the absence of another body beside hers. Turning around, she saw that Inuyasha had already left. With a distinct feeling of disappointment, she closed her eyes again, thinking. I'm still tired. I know I couldn't sleep last night, but I don't know why. Hopefully Inuyasha didn't notice; he tends to worry too much about things like that. It's good to be with him again.
 
The mat moved, meaning that someone had gotten on it. Opening her eyes to slits, she saw Inuyasha, looking at her with love and worry in his eyes. Uh-oh, he knows. Now I won't be allowed to do anything, and by now the rest of the household knows that I didn't sleep well last night. Might as well get this over with. Fully opening her eyes, she smiled at Inuyasha. “Good morning,” she said.
 
“Good morning,” he returned, and then got right to the point. “Kagome, why didn't you tell anyone you were sick?”
 
“What do you mean?” she asked. “I'm not sick.”
 
He didn't look convinced. “Kagome, you haven't been sleeping well; you said so yourself. That's not normal for a human.”
 
“Oh, Inuyasha,” she sighed. “I'm fine; well,” she hastily amended, “I'm fine for the most part. Just because I haven't slept well in a while doesn't mean that I'm sick. I just need to do more things, that's all.”
 
He didn't say anything, but Kagome knew that he hadn't been won over, not by a long shot. Well, he would just have to believe her when she said that she wasn't sick. They all would.
 
The smell of cooking food wafted through the room. “Smells like breakfast is almost ready,” Inuyasha commented, turning his head towards the door.
 
“You go eat,” Kagome told him. “I'll eat once I've changed.”
 
As he headed towards the door, he called over his shoulder, “You're not doing anything today, got that? If you can't get enough rest, then you're not well enough to do anything else.”
 
Kagome shook her head. Why does he get like this? When we first met, he wouldn't have cared if I had been on my deathbed; I would've had to go after the shards of the Shikon Jewel anyway. Now he's way overprotective. I didn't know it was possible to go from one extreme to another, but I guess it is, unless he's a special case. Crawling over to her bag, she picked out a plain white t-shirt and jeans and threw them on. Old habits die hard, and when you're spending time in the company of a certain lecherous monk, you learn to change as quickly as possible.
 
Following her nose and ears, she found the eating area, which happened to be the main room. Sango passed her a bowl of whatever it was that she and Robin had made. Mechanically spooning the food into her mouth, she looked around at the others. Sango and Miroku, both looking tired, were trying to feed Makikazu and Misao, who weren't making it easy. Robin was calmly watching their efforts, a small smile on her face. Inuyasha was also observing, his face showing a mask of disinterest. Of course, that was all it was, a mask, and they all knew it. Still, old habits die hard, especially for him, and he had kept all his emotions hidden from the world until he had met them. Shippo was inhaling his food at the speed of light, and didn't pay much attention to anything else.
 
Smiling to herself, she ate her breakfast and was about to head out the door when Inuyasha stopped her.
 
“Where are you going?” he asked.
 
“Um, out?” she tried answering vaguely enough not to reveal anything but enough to get him to leave her alone. Unfortunately, he wasn't convinced.
 
“You're not getting away that easily. Where are you going?” he pressed.
 
She hung her head. “I wanted to see the village,” she confessed. “I know people there and I wanted to see how they were doing.”
 
He shook his head. “I don't think that's such a good idea,” he said. “You know Kira doesn't like you, and she's been poisoning the villagers' minds for a while now.”
 
“I know, but I'd still like to know how they were doing. I've known them for five years, and I've made friends with some of them. They'll be glad to see me.”
 
He still looked doubtful. “If you're going, then so am I,” he declared. “There's no way you're doing this without me.”
 
“Okay,” she agreed and the two of them went through Inuyasha's Forest to the village where their friend and teacher Kaede had resided until she died.
 
Later:
 
“I can't believe the way some of those children acted,” Kagome fumed as they walked back to Miroku and Sango's home.
 
“I told you; Kira's been teaching them that all demons are bad,” Inuyasha explained again. “Still, the older villagers were polite and remembered I'd saved them before.”
 
“That's just not right,” Kagome continued.
 
“Just forget about it,” Inuyasha said. “It doesn't bother me that much anymore, and since I'm the one they threw rocks at and I don't care, you shouldn't either. Now come on, we've been gone all day; they'll be missing us.”
 
Sure enough, Robin was waiting for them when they walked in the door. “Where have you two been?” she demanded.
 
“Um, we went to the village to do some visiting,” Kagome explained. “Sorry we were gone so long. Were we needed?”
 
The blonde sighed. “No, but we were a little worried that something happened. But now that you're here, it's time for dinner.”
 
They all sat around the table and everyone (minus Sango and Miroku) was amused by a repeat of what happened at breakfast.
 
“So, what were the plans for tomorrow?” Kagome asked Robin, who was sitting to her right.
 
“Well, I wasn't planning on doing anything too taxing. Why?” Robin continued to watch the antics of the new parents and their first children, but her attention was on Kagome.
 
“Well, I was thinking about wandering around for a bit, maybe looking up Koga and seeing how he's doing.” At Robin's inquiring look, she explained, “Koga's a friend of ours that we haven't seen in a while.” She frowned. “Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in about two years. I wonder what's kept him away.”
 
“Where does he live?” Robin asked curiously.
 
“In the mountains,” Kagome replied.
 
“Ano, I don't know if it's such a good idea to be mountain-climbing right now,” Robin said hesitantly. “Both Miroku and Sango have young children to attend to now, and the mountains are dangerous, you told me.”
 
“Yeah, but if we're careful it shouldn't be too bad,” Kagome reasoned with her. “Come on, Koga's nice. He'll love to see us again and meet you.” When Robin didn't look convinced, she resorted to her last trick. Giving her the puppy look, she looked up at the other girl and begged. “Please?”
 
Unable to withstand the look, Robin's resolve toppled. “But you're taking it easy,” she warned the Kagome, who readily agreed now that they were going.
 
“Yay!” Kagome cheered aloud, hugging the startled blonde. At the others' curious looks, Robin enlightened them about the trip they were about to embark on. Inuyasha's reaction was fairly predictable.
 
“No,” he said flatly. “Kagome's too weak to travel out there. Besides, they might not even be there anymore.”
 
“Aw, come on, Inuyasha,” Kagome pleaded. “We haven't seen Koga in a long time, and I think he'd love to see us again.”
 
He snorted. “You, maybe, but there's no love lost between us.”
 
“Well, you don't have to go if you don't want to, but Robin and I are,” Kagome stated.
 
“You're not going without me!” he stated.
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Yes!”
 
“Are you sure you're sure?”
 
“Yes!”
 
“Can we leave tomorrow morning?” she asked.
 
“Yes!” Then he realized what he agreed to. “Hey!”
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha,” she said sweetly. “Now we have to go to bed early so we can be ready to leave tomorrow. Good night guys,” she said as she put her dishes away and left for her room.
 
“I don't know if this is a good idea,” she heard Miroku say to the others. “Isn't she sick?”
 
“Traveling when you're not at your best isn't the smartest thing to do,” Sango agreed. “Going through the mountains probably isn't the wisest thing for her to do. Why did you say she could go, Inuyasha?”
 
“It wasn't my fault,” he said defensively. “She tricked me.”
 
“She doesn't seem to be very sick,” Robin said in her defense. “She's been doing fine. If she wants to go see this Koga person, then I think she should. We'll just be very careful.”
 
“And what happens if she gets worse?” Inuyasha demanded. “She could be stuck up in the mountains with no medicine. That's fatal in most cases.”
 
“That's what you're here for,” Robin said. “There aren't hanyous or demons around to help them in most cases. If things get bad, then all you have to do is carry her back to the nearest village and they'll take care of her.”
 
Silence. Then, “I keep forgetting that you aren't familiar with the way things run here,” Miroku said. “If he were to carry her to a village, they won't tend her for free. For another thing, like you said, he's a hanyou. Demons are rarely accepted in most villages, and even if it accepts full-blooded demons, hanyous are never accepted. They would be chased out and not treat her, or else they would take her and not let her go with him.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Maybe it would make Kagome feel better if she saw Koga again,” Sango said softly. “I wish he would come here, but I don't think that's possible, so we'll have to go to him.” The rustling of clothes announced that she had stood up. “I don't think allowing her to travel in her condition is a good idea, but it has been awhile since we saw him. If we're leaving early tomorrow, then I'm going to bed. Good night, all.”
 
Kagome hurriedly left the doorway where she had been eavesdropping and entered her room. Crawling under the blankets covering her futon, she closed her eyes and tried to take slow, even breaths, but her mind was still working and wouldn't let sleep come. I'm finally going to see Koga again! I wonder how he and Ayame are? She cringed at the thought of having to see Ayame again. I hope she's gotten over that jealousy of hers. I mean, it's been two years since we last saw each other. She can't still think that Koga is in love with me, right?
 
Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of something crawling at top speed through the hall and into her room. Opening her eyes, she saw Makikazu look around the dark room and make his way onto the empty side of her futon.
 
“Makikazu!” she heard Sango whisper fiercely. “Get out here!”
 
The boy only giggled and curled into a ball.
 
Sango sighed and pushed back the beaded curtain separating this room from the hallway. Looking around, she noticed immediately there was a small lump on the side of the futon closest to the door. Silently she crossed over to the futon and pulled the blankets covering the lump back, revealing her son, who promptly started squealing when he discovered that he had been found.
 
“Shh,” she shushed him. “We don't want to wake up Aunt Kagome.”
 
“It's okay, Sango,” Kagome said as she reopened her eyes. “I was already awake.”
 
“I'm sorry about this,” Sango apologized as she picked up her son. “I'll try not to let this happen again.”
 
Kagome smiled. “It's okay,” she repeated. “See you tomorrow.”
 
When Sango and Makikazu were out of the room, she turned over on her other side and closed her eyes again. What time is it? She thought idly. Opening her eyes again, she reached over for her watch and turned on its light. One forty-seven a. m. glared at her with its red numbers. I wonder what's keeping Inuyasha. He's usually here a lot sooner. No sooner than she thought that when she heard soft footsteps in the hall again. Unfortunately, the footsteps passed right by her door and continued on their way down the hall. She sighed. Where is he?
 
~*~