Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ 'Til the End ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The stars shone brightly against the harsh night sky. A cold breeze brushed against your bare arms and you shivered, wrapping them around yourself. Ok, it was, after all, your fault that you were walking home at this hour. It was 1am on a Saturday morning and you could safely say that during the daytime, your best friend's house seemed a lot closer to your home than it did now. You didn't exactly live in the bush, that would be a huge exaggeration, but you lived in an area where there were only two street lights, and although there were quite a few houses they were all surrounded by a few bushes and trees.

Usually you wouldn't even walk home by yourself after 8pm, but unfortunately you were having an argument with your mother and father and didn't want to give them the satisfaction of you depending on them. You knew that if they found out you walked home at this time they'd get even more angry, but at the moment you liked being independent. You would just unlock the door, go to bed, wake up before them in the morning and pretend you had only just walked home that morning.

It's not like you wanted to get your parents angry and you weren't really fighting, you were just a little bit pissed off with them. When you had gotten home that afternoon, your mother had asked you to peg out the washing. You didn't mind, but as you were pegging it out your father came home and demanded to know why you weren't doing your homework. Instead of explaining that your mother had asked you to do something, you starting yelling about it being a Friday night and you should at least get some time to yourself, which brought up the old `leisure vs. school' discussion. When your mother came out to see what the ruckus was, you just yelled at her, saying stuff like it was `all her fault' before storming off to your best friends.

So now, there you were, walking home by yourself at 1am. Your parents would just have expected you to stay the night at your friends, but you wanted to do the unexpected. It was a safe town, but still, it would be a massive lie for you to say that right now you actually felt safe. You could hear your footsteps against the concrete; owls hooting along with the flapping noise of their wings, and of course, the wind in the trees. Overall, it gave off such a spooky feeling that it almost sounded beautiful. Then another noise reached your eyes, a noise that sounded like the soft pad of an animal.

That was the last things you wanted following you. Ok, a crazy axe murderer who also carried a gun was probably the last thing, but you'd heard some pretty crazy dogs howling at nighttime, and you'd been chased by a few barking dogs whilst walking. Actually, if it was a person following you, maybe you could try to handle it like in the movies. If you talked to the person, during the time they spent revealing their master plan (which is to kill you) a handsome hero had shown up to save you. But a crazy dog, what would that do? Give you rabies then bite your face off? No reasoning with it what so ever.

Quickly planning all the escape roots you had in your mind, you bravely turned around. Nothing was there. You hadn't exactly had the best look, you didn't even stop walking, but you were pretty sure nothing was following you. You stopped. It was in front of you. Whatever it was, it was in front of you. You didn't want to scream. Believing you could just walk past whatever it was without any harm, you proceeded to continue on. Although you held your head high, you glanced nervously out of the corner of your eye. It was on all four legs. It was an animal then. You don't know why, but you felt relieved. Then you remembered that it could go absolutely crazy and rip you to pieces.

`Hello,' you froze, not daring to turn. `Nice night.'
`Y-yes. Better be off though. Bit late.' You didn't even know who you were talking to as you couldn't see anyone, but you just thought you should be friendly, and then get the hell away.

You quickened your pace, but tried not to make it in that obvious `I'm shit scared and running away' way, even though that was exactly how you felt. You heard something following you, whether it was the dog or the person, you didn't know. You didn't dare turn around.

`What are you doing walking around at this time?'
`Getting home,' you tried your best to sound casual.
`Stayed out a bit too late though, didn't we?'
`Yeah.'

You squeezed your eyes shut for a split second. When you opened them, you couldn't believe your mistake. It was in front of you. Yes, it was an `it'. It was standing on two legs, though it had the features of an animal, a dog or wolf. No sound came out of your mouth. Moving was out of the question.

`Hello.'
`H-Hi,' you breathed. It was the same “person” you were talking to before. So was it the animal from before? Then this animal was the one that talked. `Erm, excuse me.'
`What's the rush?' it breathed. The word “werewolf” was running madly through your head.
`Sorry.' You didn't know why, but it seemed the right thing to say. You were trying to refrain from saying `What are you doing' so it wouldn't reply with something like "Waiting to kill someone".

It actually let you pass by. Your house was almost in sight, if you could get around the corner you knew you would bolt for it and run straight into your parent's bedroom. You turned the corner and the single street light brightened the area. You were trying to stay calm. Suddenly, your world tipped and you felt your head bounce back up after hitting the concrete. Looking up, you saw the wolf/human.

`Why aren't you afraid?'
`I-I am!' you squeaked at the larger frame on top of you, it's nails had already slashed your thigh and you could now, in the light, see it's black eyes and large, sharp teeth.
`What's your problem, child!? I am going to kill you. Right here.'
You whimpered `what-what do you want me to say?! To do!?'
`You're not going to fight? Scream? Cry?' it laughed `I guess you're smart enough to know that you have no chance!' you stared, eyes wide open. `ANSWER ME!'

You squeezed your eyes closed again. Why would you fight? You had trouble opening new milk bottles, what chance did you have with this speaking dog? You suddenly decided to squirm. Out of all things, you tried to wriggle out of its strong grasp.

`Ha! I don't know why you bother!' the wolf stood up, picking you up by the scruff of your shirt before slamming you face down into the concrete.

You were going to die. You closed your eyes for a final time, still facing the ground. The cold sensation of the nails digging into your shoulder was soon replaced by the heat of your blood spilling. However, it felt as though the beast had backed off. In fact, you could hear voices. Even though you turned over, your eyesight was still hazy, and everything seemed red. You could make out the blur of two other moving things. You propped yourself up on your elbows, before realizing you had no strength and collapsing.

`It has escaped, Kurama,' a voice that seemed almost calm though outraged at the same time spoke.
`We cannot follow it right now. It is weak, but as are we. It would be too dangerous.'
`The girl.'
`What girl?' the blur that spoke seemed extra red than usual.
`The girl it attacked.'
`OH!'

You saw the red blur reach your side in almost a flash. The other person, at least you hoped it was a person, stood watching from a far. You felt the closer person run their fingers over your leg wounds.

`Are-' it seemed to rethink asking if you were ok. `We will help you.'
`Tell us what happened,' the other voice had joined your side now.
`Not now,' one voice scolded the other. `Relax. Just…' The red blur seemed at a loss for words.

Before you knew what was happening, you felt arms wrap around your waist and hoist you up. The last thing you remembered was staring at the red tinted concrete from over the shoulder of what you were pretty sure was a tall red-headed boy.