Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ 'Til the End ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You blinked. A pretty lone star shone brightly. It was close enough to touch, but bright enough to make you close your eyes in pain. You tried again. After blinking a few more times, the star came into view. It wasn't a star. It was a light bulb. This time you had no trouble opening your eyes as you shot up into a sitting position. Immediately, two people rushed to your side.


`Don't sit up!' a red haired boy whispered anxiously as a pretty blue haired girl gently pushed you back down into what you realized was a bed. `And don't speak,' he had known your next move almost before you as he looked gently into your bewildered eyes. `Last night you were attacked by a demon, it was the creature that looked like a cross between a wolf and a man. You are harmed, but you will recover. You are in the Spirit world now, where we will help you. I am Kurama, and the other person with me last night was Hiei.'
`And I'm Botan.' The blue haired girl squeezed your hand gently as you tried to comprehend what the boy had said.


You weren't exactly sure what to say. Obviously you were going to believe what you were being told, you had no choice as you had seen it. But you had a family, and what was this about `another world'? The demon, and you couldn't believe that you had to accept that you were attacked by a "demon", but this demon had attacked you in your world, you knew it, you remembered seeing your house! So why were you in another world? Were these new people from the other world? Could you trust them then? But more importantly, although you were gracious for their help, why did they not leave you in a hospital… on, well, Earth.


`Thank you.' They both looked puzzled at your choice of words. Botan then smiled at you, whilst Kurama still looked slightly confused.
`You need to rest.'
`We will return later when you have more strength,' Botan spoke kindly before the two of them left the room, closing the door.


The room had dark brick walls and wooden furniture. There wasn't much furniture in the room actually, especially if you suspected this to be some sort of hospital. There was the single bed that you were laying in, a bedside table with a lamp, a two seated couch and a chair. Nothing looked medical. No drips, computers, medicine bottles or bandages. You suddenly became intrigued with your wounds. Lifting up the bed sheets, you glanced down at your body. You weren't wearing the clothes you were in last night! You were wearing a loose silk nighty that looked a bit like a robe. You were pretty sure they were Japanese. Ignoring the fact that you were wearing Japanese styled clothes in `another world', you were more focused on how you got into them. You blushed. Respectfully, you hoped that it was Botan that had dressed you.


You had white cotton bandages wrapped tightly around your right thigh and elbows. As you leaned down you could feel your shoulder muscles tighten. Lifting your hand to your face, you felt various cuts. Then, trying your best to glance over your shoulder, all you could see was a large sticking plaster placed over the wound where the demon had scratched you. Peering back under the covers and down to your legs, you realised that you had bruises and scratches on your forearms and calves.


`Still got all the right parts?' you quickly pulled the covers down and lifted your head to see a boy in a green jumpsuit grinning cheekily at you. You narrowed your eyes playfully. `Let me guess, Kurama told you not to weaken yourself by speaking.'
`I'm not wasting my breath on a pervert like you, thanks very much.'
`I'm Yusuke,' He grinned again; he probably got told he was a pervert frequently. `How do you feel?'
`Good.' You weren't going to bother complaining, after last night, you didn't feel too bad.
`Good? I would feel shit scared if I was in your position. Especially if I was a girl.'
`What position?' you ignored the sexism.
`You know, with the mark and everything. I mean, I used to always think “Why me?” but, hey, I got over it.'
`What are you talking about?!'
`Yes, what are you talking about?' Kurama had entered the room again. `You cannot go unnoticed around here, Yusuke.' He seemed to be giving Yusuke a certain look. A "shut up" look, actually. `Now, let's let (Your Name) get some sleep.'
`How do you know my name?'
`You were doing so well with keeping the questioning to a minimum. Let's keep it that way until tomorrow, perhaps?' you desperately wanted to say "NO." but you nodded your head for yes.
`Actually, I have one question,' Kurama looked weary. `What's the time?'
`Saturday night, about 9pm.'
`WHAT!' you tried to sit up again. `But-'
`No! Please, tomorrow.' The two boys walked out; however you noticed that Yusuke gave you a sympathetic look as he followed Kurama.


When you awoke next, you believed it only to be because you must have passed out from mental exhaustion. The first thing you wanted to do was return home. It would be Sunday by now. Your parents and friends would be going crazy over you, you knew it. You didn't want them to go through that. Pulling the blankets off your body, your feet padded softly of the tiles. Surprisingly, the tiles weren't that cold.


`Where do you think you're going?' the bright but strict voice of Botan reached you ears.
`I don't know,' you replied stupidly.
`Here.' She helped tie the dress thing you were wearing.
`What is this?'
`It's a kimono. It's Japanese.'
`Why Japanese?'
`What do you mean?'
`Why am I wearing Japanese styled clothes? Not that I'm being ungrateful, just-'
`Erm, this seems irrelevant. However, we are situated in Japan if that helps.'
`I thought you said I was in another world!'
`You are! Spir- nevermind. It will all be explained later.'
`What needs to be explained apart from my absence to my parents!?'
`Well don't you want to know about the demon you encountered?'
`As long as it doesn't come near me again I'll be happy to forget what happened.'
`I don't think you realize what's happening, dear.'


Botan pushed you out of the room and down a long corridor that had both closed doors and long empty tunnels. The two of you turned down one of the tunnels before opening a door to reveal a small room. Botan sat you down in front of a large desk. No sooner had you sat than the chair behind the desk turned to face you. A small toddler was sitting in the chair. You looked confused, but when the child spoke in proper English, you turned to Botan to see if this was a joke. She was looked completely serious and focused, so you tried to do the same.


`(Your Name), I am Koenma, son of Yama, who is the King of the Spirit World, which you are in right now,' you nodded. `In this world there are good forces, and bad. The demon you faced last night was one of the bad kind. But we are here to help you.'
`Help me what?'
`That is what I am about to tell you, let me finish.'
`Sorry.'


You had a feeling that all you were going to be saying `Sorry' a lot from now on.


`I will answer any questions at the end. I just need to get this all out.' Koenma looked serious, so you began to become frightened. `Do you understand, (Your Name)?'
`Yes.'
`Then let me begin. You, as you know by now, are in another world. It is called the Spirit World, or in Japanese, Makai. In this world, there roam beasts and monsters. Last night, in your own country and world, you were attacked by one of these beasts, a demon known as Oujisu. We do not yet know why it targeted you, but we do know that it wanted to kill you. Two of my men who were hunting the demon luckily found you and managed to save you. Kurama and Hiei. You seem damaged, but most of your wounds will heal.'


Koenma sat silently, so you believed it was time to ask a question.


`Am I the demons only victim?'
`Only surviving victim. You're special.' Thankful, more like it. `We do not know why Oujisu is attacking people, and we have not yet been successful in capturing it.' Koenmas face sort of became nervous. `The thing is, (Your Name), you are perhaps wondering why we couldn't leave you in a human hospital?'
`I think because they might not have had the right medicines to heal the wounds?'
`Well, sort of. It's-a… it's a tad bit confusing.'
`Shoot.' You didn't know why you were pretending to be so brave.
`When the demon attacked you, firstly, it didn't believe it was going to be found, but it did believe it was going to kill you. It failed in both these areas. It's only real mistake was, well, you see that scratch on your shoulder?'
`Not really.' You saved yourself the embarrassment of craning your neck to see you slash.
`It has left some of itself inside that wound,' Koenma winced as your eyes widened. `After inspecting the cut, we noticed that there was a small, blinking light inside it. We believe the demon left it-'
`It's going to come back for me!'
`(Your name). We do not know what it means or what it does. This is why we have to keep you here.'