Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Kitsune's Plan ❯ New Friend ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hiei blinked, and stared after the cold hearted Youko, wondering what he was thinking and what he was planning. It was strange; Hiei could usually tell a person’s ambitions, but this demon was more of a mystery than anyone had ever been. It was almost as if he didn’t know his ambitions himself and was just going along with everything that happened. When the kitsune made him promise to stay, there seemed to be a plan, but all evidence of it faded away the more time they spent together. Hiei sighed, frustrated, and looked around the room before laying back down on the bed and closing his eyes.

***

Youko vented as he walked back around the rock to the other cave. Hiei didn’t care at all, he just wanted to escape, wanted to be free. He was being held against his will that was all there was to it. Kicking a rock, the kitsune approached the cave entrance and looked around for some sign of their previous audience. Surprisingly, the demon was still there, napping in the same spot as though Hiei had never come through the crack in the rock and Youko had never chased after and he had never gotten up to watch the two demons struggle with each other on the cave floor. Youko raised an eyebrow and stood back to take in the demon’s strange appearance.
The first thing that caught Youko’s eye was the wide black hat that sat upon the demon’s head, his pointed ears sticking out like horns and his black hair pulled up in a high pony tail. The buckle on his hat shone in the dim light, and also attracted the fox’s attention to a red gem around the youkai’s neck. Youko smirked as he walked up to the demon and inspected the pendant further, his hand caught and held firmly as it reached for the red necklace. Youko looked up into the frowning face of the demon, his indigo blue eyes reflecting Youko’s expression of awe.
“And just what do you think you are doing?” the demon said, his grip around the jewels in his arms tightening as he looked up at the silver fox.
“Simply examining your pendant,” Youko replied, straightening regally. The demon stood, measuring about half a foot shorter than Youko, and looked the fox up and down, taking in his appearance and smiling to himself as he continued the conversation.
“And you couldn’t have examined any of the gems in my arms?”
“You’re pendant is the only thing that caught my eye.”
“Ah yes, only the best for the famed Youko Kurama.” Kurama smirked, not in the least bit surprised.
“I see you’ve heard of me,” he replied, his smirk turning into a smile, “And yet I’ve never seen you before. Mind introducing yourself?”
The demon smiled and bowed slightly, “I am Kuronue, a youkai koumari and Makai thief.” (A/N: tell me, how long did it take you to figure out it was Kuronue?) Youko bowed respectively and headed back toward the mouth of the cave. “Hey where are you going?” Kuronue said as Youko started to walk away.
The kitsune turned back and flashed the koumari a smile, “Hunting, want to come along?” Kuronue gave Youko a curious look, but smiled and quickly followed him out of the cave and into the forest.

***

Hiei paced back and forth, waiting impatiently for Youko to return. Where had he gone? It had already been several hours since he left, Hiei had taken a short nap and then got up to look at all the intriguing items in the room. He had spent about a half hour looking around, and still no kitsune. Hiei was starting to almost worry. What had happened to the youkai? Sitting down once more, Hiei started a fire in the small pit Youko had made, and sat next to it, staring at it like it held the answers to all his questions. Mindlessly staring, he sat there another fifteen minutes and started to get really irritated.
“Where the hell did you go, Youko?” Hiei asked the empty room, “Why haven’t you returned yet?”
“Aww, isn’t that sweet. Worried about your kitsune?” A youkai walked into the cave uninvited and Hiei saw that it was his audience from earlier.
Growling, he replied smartly, “He isn’t my kitsune and no, I’m not worried.”
“Just a thought” the demon shrugged and walked over to the fire. Just as Hiei was wondering how he got in and past Youko’s traps, the fox walked in after him, a dead deer slung over his shoulder. Cutting it into pieces and cooking it over the fire, dinner was prepared, and they all ate in silence, occasionally Hiei shooting glares at the two acquaintances. After dinner, Kuronue and Youko sat around the fire chatting about thefts and their adventures while Hiei sulked in a corner, hating this new-comer more than he remembered hating anyone in his life.
When the youkai finally left, Hiei was already asleep, sitting on Youko’s bed where he was observing the pair. Youko smiled to himself as he readjusted his guest and laid next to him gently, Hiei’s chest as his pillow.

***

Hiei woke from a short dream as he felt the kitsune stir. Opening his eyes a fraction of an inch, he looked down at his chest to see Youko snuggled peacefully up to him. He snorted, but did nothing else as he lay back down to sleep, closing his eyes once more and returning to his dream.

***

When Youko woke the next morn, Hiei was still asleep. The fox smiled to himself and stretched as he sat up, looking around his den to rest his eyes on what was left of the deer. Attacking it hungrily he ate most of what was left, leaving some for the black haired demon when he awoke, then walked over to the doorway and watched over his territory for awhile.
Soon Hiei awoke and seeing the leftovers finished them off, not muttering so much as a thank you to the kitsune. When Youko walked back to the glowing embers, Hiei was already interesting himself with a beautiful jade necklace.
“Fox, where did you get this?” Youko raised an eyebrow at the blunt and discourteous substitution for his name, but let it slide, not minding much at all.
“I stole it from an ancient Chinese castle, where the princess had hung herself.” Hiei set the necklace down on a pile of books and walked over to the kitsune.
“Is stealing all you do for fun? Don’t you get bored of it?” Youko smiled intelligently and looked up at the short demon standing above him.
“I never get tired of it. There is always something new and unexpected around the corner.”Hiei nodded and was about to ask another question when someone interrupted their thoughts.
“Youko! I found a perfect place to steal from.” Youko stood as Kuronue entered the cave.
‘Now how did he get though the traps?’ Hiei thought scowling. Youko smiled and bid Hiei adieu, leaving him to ponder how the koumari could get though Youko’s defenses and he could not.