Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ The Watcher Revealed ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After the Fall

Chapter 3--The Watcher Revealed

For over two hours he had been walking without purpose, mingling with the mass of people streaming to and fro along the wide sidewalks of the city. The steady glow of neon lights illuminated his pale features and dark clothing with a rainbow of colors as he would stop every now and then to admire the man made structures, reveling in the coldness and impersonalization of humanity's creations, even as he despised those who had created it.

He was growing bored with this illusion of passivity, the beast within swelling with bloodlust and need to cause chaos and pain. But he also remained leery. He had almost been caught and this fact both frustrated and excited him. Nothing would please me more than to kill the spirit detectives right now, but I cannot. Strong as I am I need help. The others are not ready to face them yet. He thought as he closed his eyes and calmed the pounding of his heart. I must remain patient. I've worked too long and too hard to give in to my impulses now.

"Hey buddy, can you spare some change?"

The dark one opened his eyes, his tailored black blazer swinging violently as he whirled his head to the right, his features darkening at the sudden intrusion. "I think not." He replied coldly, moving around and away from the tall, bulky man with slicked back blond hair and dark brown eyes who had bothered him, dismissing him as he would a fly.

The smaller man stopped suddenly, surprised at the feel of a knife point pressed uncomfortably against his lower back.

"That's not the answer I want pretty boy!" The blond snarled, pushing the smaller man forward with the tip of the knife. "Move it!"

Gray eyes complied, leading the two of them to an alleyway close by.

Out of sight of the main street, the blond grabbed the dark haired man roughly by his tailored collar and whirled him around before slamming his lean body into the red brick wall behind him.

"Not so smart mouthed now are we?" He growled, his voice full of malice as he held the blade before gray eyes abdomen. "Hand over your money."

The dark haired man stared at him defiantly. "No."

The blond blinked in surprise, looking down at his victim in shock and disbelief. "No." He said heatedly, his eyes turning dark as he brought the knife within a inch of the smaller man's face.

"No." Gray eyes repeated, straightening his frame.

The larger man's thin lips twisted into a wolfish smile as he pressed the blade into the dark haired man's tender flesh then dragged it slowly across his left cheek, creating a line of crimson that bled slowly downward, staining his pale features.

The smaller man didn't even flinch.

The blond became unnerved. What is up with this freak?! "What's wrong with you!" He shouted, his voice full of rage and discomfort. "Aren't you scared?!"

Gray eyes clashed with brown. The smaller man's gaze as hard and as cold as ice.

Sweat poured down the mugger's face, his arm shaking uncontrollably, his heart consumed by fear as he suddenly felt his right appendage being forced outward against his will. "What the hell?"

Confusion turned to horror as his arm swung inward, the lethal blade slicing through clothing, flesh and bone before puncturing the tender flesh of his heart. An earsplitting howl of pain erupted form his throat as the blade began to twist, wielded by his own hand, mutilating his still beating heart. But his agonized screams were cut short as his arm was yanked outward, a geyser of red bursting from the mortal wound. Quickly, and with precision, the arm obeyed it's silent master, bringing the blood stained knife upward and in one swift motion slit the large man's throat. The blond fell forward with a sickening thud, a puddle of blood spreading rapidly beneath his corpse, his black T-shirt and blue jeans soaked by the life fluid that poured out his now dead body.

Gray eyes crouched down, staring at the corpse indifferently. "I guess you just don't have what it takes to make the kill." He murmured, rising to his full height. He reached up and touched his cut, the blood pulling back into the wound and sealing shut, his flesh perfect and spotless once more. The smaller man turned and walked back towards the main sidewalk, making sure to avoid the blood that mixed with the trash that littered the asphalt, whistling to himself as he made his way to his home.

***********

Yusuke stood in the underground parking lot of his apartment complex, his brown eyes fixed upon the pretty features of his girlfriend who leaned against her late model blue Toyota Corolla, black book bag in hand, her pink and white dress shuffling slightly as she shifted her weight from her right to her left foot.

They stood silently for a few seconds, lost in each other's eyes, neither able to really express anything other than mutual visual admiration.

The spirit detective was the first to break the silence. "Uh, thanks for all the help tonight with my make up assignments. I really enjoyed you, uh I mean your company." Yusuke babbled, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "You know me," He added with a self depreciating smile. " I just seem to lack a talent for school work."

Keiko studied him for a second then shook her head. "You're just lazy Yusuke, not stupid." She said with a tender smile.

Yusuke looked at her in shock. "You think so?"

Keiko nodded. "I know what you're capable of Yusuke. If you put as much effort into your schoolwork as you do fighting, there is no way you'll lose or fall behind."

A smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. "Did you just give me a compliment?"

Keiko looked at him with a straight face. "I guess I did. Something must be wrong with me."

Yusuke's features softened. "Not in my eyes." He whispered, reaching out an exploratory hand to caress her cheek.

"Yusuke." She murmured, looking down at the concrete underneath her feet to hide her now flushed face.

Yusuke crooked a finger under her chin, tilting her head up until their eyes met and locked. He leaned slowly inward, eyes half closed as he prepared to kiss her. Keiko had already shut her eyes, waiting expectantly for his lips to meet hers. Yusuke was within a hare's breath of a lip lock when a pin prick of warning shot up his back, signaling they were not alone.

Instantly, the spirit detective pulled back, snapping his head to the side, his gaze now locked on a darkened corner of the parking lot opposite Keiko's car. He moved away from Keiko and began to walk briskly towards the corner, his posture defensive as if expecting to come face to face with some pervert who got off on watching couples getting close or perhaps some punk waiting in the dark to rob them.

Keiko meanwhile, remained standing, eyes still closed, her hopes of a kiss still lingering in her mind. It took her a few seconds to realize Yusuke wasn't there anymore. Her eyelids snapped open, her head whipping to the side as she caught movement to her left. Her angered eyes bore holes into the back of Yusuke's head. "Yusuke you jerk!" She roared in unbridled fury.

The spirit detective jumped and whirled around, his mask of concentration replaced by a startled and aggravated expression. "Dammit Keiko what are you trying to do give me a heart attack!" He roared back but made no move to return to her side.

The brown haired young woman ripped open her car door, throwing her book bag into the passenger seat before plopping angrily down in the driver's seat. She jammed the key in the ignition, twisting it with more strength than was necessary. She slammed the door shut and gunned the Corolla backwards, barely missing the confused Yusuke.

"Keiko! Where the hell are you going?! " The young man shouted, watching helplessly as the young woman tore off and out of the parking lot. He let out a groan as he raised his hands up into the air in resignation, before dropping them back to his sides. "Women." He murmured irritably, shaking his head in frustration. "I'll never understand them."

Yusuke returned his attention to the corner, the odd sensation he felt earlier had vanished into nothingness. Shit! Keiko's outburst must have scared who ever it was away. He thought angrily as he turned and headed back to the elevator, mad at himself for not warning Keiko to be quiet. His features hardened as he reevaluated the sensation he had felt a few seconds ago. It was not normal. Not even close. It wasn't a demon but it wasn't human either. If it was neither, could it have been both? He wondered. Yusuke shook himself from such thoughts. I've used too many damn brain cells tonight. I need some rest. He added mentally with a sigh as he jammed his hands into the front pockets of his blue jeans and headed over to the elevator. A pair of red eyes flashed in the darkened corner where the spirit detective had stopped short of examining, eyes that stalked his every movement until Yusuke disappeared, traveling back up to his apartment floor in the now moving elevator. The eyes blinked once then were gone.

*******

Far away, on the northern side of Tokyo, along the outskirts of the city, the dark haired man strolled lazily along a dimly lit street, a shadowy pathway that led to his living quarters. His gaze focused on a large, square building some distance ahead. As he crept closer and closer, his keen eyes could make out the shape of a motorcycle parked on the cement sidewalk that spread like angels wings up and around the multistoried structure, crafted with a skill that was quickly fading from the human world. Each red brick molded and cemented with great care, and made to withstand the test of time. And for the past fifty years, the building remained well attended to. For it was the only place the dark haired man could lower his guard and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

He stopped before the motorcycle, reaching out caress the leather seat, a smirk tugging at his lips. Tilting his head back, his eyes scanned the topmost level of the building, the only one with windows, his smirk widening at the soft whitish glow that radiated outward, the only sign of life in the darkness that shrouded the premises. He retracted his hand, moving away from the machine to a small metallic door a few feet away. He reached into the inside pocket of his blazer and drew out a small remote, stretching his right arm out and slightly upward. He pressed his thumb against the green button in the center of the black device, an invisible beam of energy rocketing upward, hitting a small round black screen. A clicking sound signaled the opening of the door as it moved slowly backward, allowing entrance into his domain.

The man strode purposefully forward, the door closing automatically behind him. He walked down the darkened, narrow pathway where a grated elevator stood waiting to be used. His gaze intensified and the grate flew up, bidding him welcome. He entered the elevator and gave a slight nod. The grate slammed down and the elevator rocketed upward until it stopped with a slight shudder, having reached the top floor.

The sight that met his gray eyes came as no surprise as he watched a tall, slender female with long silky hair as black as the clothes she wore, stroll along one of the many shelves of books that lined the walls of the top floor, a glass of wine in her hand as she perused his own private library of ancient and modern texts. Over head lighting was set on low intensity illuminating the open area with a soft light. A big screen TV situated in-between two shelves along the far wall was on but silent, the flash of images casting the large black leather couch in front of it with a eerie light.

The man entered the room, removing his blazer and hanging it neatly over one of the dark wooden chairs that surrounded his dining table. The woman paid him no mind, continuing with her study of his books even as he walked past her into the kitchen, opening the black refrigerator with a gentle motion, reaching in to pull out the chilled bottle of wine on the top shelf.

"Out prowling the streets again were we Ren?" The woman spoke at last, her voice as smooth and silky as the hair that hung straight down her back. "Is that why it took you so long to come home?"

Ren turned around, shutting the refrigerator door with a soft swipe of his hand, resting the green bottle of Mer lot on the marbled island opposite him, twisting the cork and pouring the dark red liquid into a flute glass. "Given your talents my dear Ailia, you should know." He replied in an amused voice, jamming the cork back into the bottle before coming to stand in front of her.

The woman closed her dark blue eyes, her pretty features twisted in concentration. A few seconds later her eyelids fluttered open and a knowing smile spread upon her lush lips. "I see you let the beast out for a little taste of blood tonight."

Ren mimicked her smile as he brought the glass up to his lips and took a small sip then lowered it once more. "Just taking care of the filth that walks these streets." He replied nonchalantly, his features growing serious as he asked, "Where are the others?"

Ailia cocked her head to the side, her eyes distant. "The others should be arriving soon. Kigorei has finished his stalking of Urameshi. Tahomen should be back soon from his trip in the demon world, and Lina has completed her task of following the stupid one." She replied softly, returning her attention to him once more.

Ren studied her for a few seconds. "And yet here you are before any of the others. Have you truly finished watching Kurama already?"

"I could watch him all day." She replied in a breathless tone that caused the dark haired man to twitch slightly at the sound of lust in her voice.

"Just how close did you get to him?" He asked, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Close enough to see he's the most gorgeous man I've ever set eyes upon." She replied with a cryptic smile.

"I thought I told you to maintain a safe distance from your quarry." He growled, his features turning dark.

Ailia waved a hand dismissively at him. "Relax. He had no idea who I was. I masked my power perfectly." She replied as she took a sip from her glass.

"I told you before Ailia no mixing business with pleasure. Kurama is off limits to you." He countered, setting his jaw.

Ailia raised an eyebrow. "Jealous are we?" She cooed lightly, lowering her glass.

The look on Ren's face made her laugh. "You are jealous aren't you?" She said, reaching out to touch his face.

Ren backed away, swatting her hand. "I don't want your hormones to screw up what I spent a lifetime working for."

Ailia snorted. " That's your hang up not mine." She replied before adding, "Besides you don't need to worry about me. Fox boy wouldn't give me the time of day. He's hung up on the head ferry girl for that bastard Koenma, that pretty little bitch called Botan." she spat, tossing back the last of the wine then twirling the empty flute around in her hand.

Ren snickered. "Do I detect a bit of resentment?"

Ailia's eyes grew dangerous. "You know exactly why I feel the way I do. Don't toy with my emotions Ren. It's unbecoming." She snarled turning away from him.

Ren said nothing at first, letting out an angry sigh as he calmed himself. "What else have you learned?" He asked, breaking the silence.

"Kurama is fearless." She began, taking her time in answering. "He has no concerns about his own safety. Once challenged, he is relentless and determined in solving whatever is thrown his way. As you already know he is a master of plants and maintains a B class level of power in his human form, his class rising to an A level when in his demon form. But he has weaknesses that are easily exploited. He has family he cares for and a woman his heart is lost on. Attacking either one of these will bring him to his knees." She responded, turning around. "Which begs the question why you sent me to follow the fox when the prime target is Urameshi. His power level is the highest of the four. Don't you want to know how to defeat an S class warrior?" She asked.

Ren gave her a smile of pity. "Ailia my dear, technically Urameshi is the strongest but by no means the deadliest. It is Kurama I fear the most." He answered, turning away from her. "Brawn can easily be compensated for. But knowledge and skill are more formidable. Yusuke is a punk kid, still learning how to use his power. But Kurama is a time tested combatant unrivaled in plans and schemes. If I am truly to defeat the spirit detectives I must be able to overcome Urameshi's strength and Kurama's intelligence. I must become stronger and smarter than both."

"And how do you plan on doing that?" Ailia asked.

Ren turned to her. "By tormenting and testing them in ways they couldn't possibly imagine, each small attack slowly draining them of their power until it becomes mine. And when I feel the time is right, the four of them will fall like dominoes and no one will be left standing in my way." He replied softly, closing his eyes, relishing the thought of death that would soon come.

*****

Daylight brought with it a blanket of gray and black clouds which hung low in the sky, as if burdened by a heavy weight that threatened to unleash a torrent of rain and lightning at a moment's notice. For Kurama, it seemed a foreboding omen. A dark, unpredictable vision that could swoop down like a fierce bird of prey, catching those unaware in an inescapable death grip. The fox spirit's gaze remained focused straight ahead as he pressed forward along the busy Tokyo streets, speeding towards his appointment with Yusuke and Kuwabara.

Kurama had called the pair a few hours earlier, telling them about the strange incidents that had happened last night. When he asked them if anything similar occurred, both had answered yes. Yusuke suggested they meet downtown to discuss the situation and Kurama had agreed, giving them a location to catch up with one another.

And now Kurama found himself idling at another stop light, his emerald eyes gazing down at the black aviator watch strapped around his left wrist, his brow furrowing as he noticed the time. Hmm. It's 11:40 already. I'm ten minutes late and at least two miles away from the coffee shop I told Yusuke and Kuwabara I would meet them at. The kitsune brought his attention back on the road, searching the area for an escape route from the growing traffic congestion that had erupted around him. If that wasn't bad enough, a flash of lightning assaulted his eyes and the coinciding rumble of thunder rolled above him menacingly, egging the fox spirit to get a move on.

Kurama steered his bike forward, turning right onto a side street, then left down a deserted alleyway accelerating with more speed than was necessary, his bike a silver bullet streaking onward through the darkened area, the rushing wind catching in his black sport waist coat, puffing it out like a wind sock. He burst into the open spaces once more, joining up with the traffic that flowed by, his jacket returning to it normal state, resting against the dark blue turtleneck that fit snugly against his sculpted torso.

As he drew closer, his thoughts turned to all that had happened yesterday. Turned to his last image of her. Such sad eyes she had, as if it was our last good-bye, our last time together. Kurama thought, his features tightened by pain. He was familar with pain and heartache, constant companions to his need for redemption. He continued to seek ways to make up for his past. He had a mother who loved him and who he loved in return. But it was not enough. He found a purpose in becoming a spirit detective and that had helped him tremendously. But still he longed for more. Longed to give more of himself. To sacrifice his time in the pursuit of a worthy cause. And he found it in Botan.

She had suffered greatly at the hands of Yakumo. The blue haired deity's mind was riddled with the mental scars of her attack. Scars that refused to heal on their own. Nightmarish visions that grew more grotesque and frightening every day. Unimaginable horrors she suffered night after night with no comfort. Botan had come to him for help. Believing he could heal her mind as he had her body. Every evening for six weeks after the attack she visited his house, unable to sleep, unable to do much of anything. She couldn't even perform the daily duties Koenma handed out to her. And every evening he would hold her in his arms, whisper supportive words and listen to her fears until at last she would fall asleep and Kurama would soon follow both of them resting side by side upon his bed. And every morning she would be gone, leaving him alone once more, longing to hold her again.

And even after the nightmares had gradually lessened and Botan returned to her bubbly self once more, she would still come to visit him, check up on him, talk to him about whatever was on her mind. She would ask him many questions about his past and he would reveal tidbits of information, not really wanting her to know about the things he had done, things he was not proud of. Burdens placed upon his heart by his past actions. But Botan had lifted his malaise, telling him he was a good person, that he was special to her, a good friend. Friend, he thought bitterly. That's all I am to her. Nothing more. His mind chided him, even as his heart hoped for more.

Kurama felt lost, confused and alone. Why must I deny myself happiness? Why can't I tell her how I feel?

The red haired man turned down another side street, his body on auto pilot as his thoughts continued to stray. His body tensed suddenly and his eyes widened as he felt a familar chi emanating some distance to his right. The fox spirit's hopeful gaze scanned the mass of people marching like ants along the sidewalk until at last it settled upon a woman with long cerulean hair, her beautiful eyes fixated on a window display of dresses, totally oblivious to what was going on around her.

Is that really.. "Botan?!" He cried out, joy betraying his calm exterior as he pulled to the curb just beyond the blue haired deity.

"Kurama?" Botan replied turning around at the sound of his voice, her purple orbs full of surprise and delight as she walked over to him. He looks so handsome. She thought with a wistful smile as she studied him, her eyes traveling quickly from his black dress shoes along his light khaki dress slacks up past his waist coat to his perfect features that spoke a joy she had rarely seen upon his visage. She repressed the urge to wrap her arms around his neck and kiss those tender lips of his, not sure he would welcome it. Instead she rubbed her arms, her hands brushing absently along the sleeves of her white dress shirt before stuffing them in the pockets of her blue jeans. "How have you been?"

Miserable without you. Kurama wanted to answer. "Okay I suppose." He lied, looking down at the concrete to avoid giving away his true emotions. Get a grip man! You've played this game before, you can do it again! The fox spirit lifted his head slowly, his gaze calm and his thoughts collected. "So what brings you to the human world?" He asked softly.

"Yusuke contacted me and wanted to know If I could come down and help him with a little problem. So of course I said I would. I'd just thought before I met up with him, I'd stroll towards the coffee shop, do a little window shopping catch up on the latest fashions." Botan replied, not adding the fact she snuck away while Koenma was napping even as her mind replayed the event of the lord of Reikai asleep in his chair, snoring loudly, drool collecting around the paperwork his cherubic face was resting on.

Kurama closed his eyes, his heart troubled. He did not want to burden her with his problems. Did not want her to know what had happened. Still it would be helpful if she knows. The files of Reikai could hold the clues we need.

"Kurama are you all right?"

"I'm fine Botan." The kitsune replied opening his eyes once more as he turned to face her.

"It's just that I'm heading to meet Yusuke too. I would welcome your company." He added with a smile which fell as a gust of wind roared by.

His eyes caught Botan shivering at the cold as she wrapped her arms around her trying desperately to keep herself warm, her ponytail swinging violently in the wind.

Kurama took off his jacket and handed it to her.

Botan looked at the jacket then back at him, her eyes straying to the tightness of the turtleneck that accented his toned body, a sudden heat filling her as she turned her attention with great effort back to the jacket which she took from his outstretched hand. Their fingertips brushed lightly against on another and for a few tense seconds neither of them moved.

At last Kurama lowered his hand, tilting his head back , his gaze fixed on the darkened sky above. " It looks like it's going to rain soon. Would you like a lift before it gets too nasty?" He asked, bringing his eyes back down to meet hers.

Botan smiled, grateful for his offer. "Yes I would as a matter of fact." She replied.

"Hop on." Kurama said, sliding slightly forward, allowing her room to sit behind him.

Botan slid onto the leather seat, her arms at the side.

"Wrap your arms around my waist and hold on." The fox spirit ordered, a smile spreading upon his lips as he felt the deity's arms wrap tightly around his body and her torso and the sudden pressure of her torso and head against his back. "All set."

"Hmm." Came a mumbled response that made Kurama want to laugh.

The fox spirit looked to his left, making sure there was no traffic. "Here we go." He yelled, tearing out and down the road, his heart lightened, happier than he had been in hours.