Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ For the Love of a Deity ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5-- For the Love of a Deity

Powder blue was the sky that surrounded the rocky terrain of the spirit world. The intensity of the midday sun swept down in waves, warming the two lone travelers upon a stone pathway that led up to the palace of Reikai, home of Koenma and the many spirit guides that served under him.

Kurama walked silently next to Botan, his movements surprisingly in sync with hers as they ascended slowly toward the elaborate structure of royalty some distance still ahead. The smell of dampened earth and rock wafted under the sensitive nose of the kitsune causing him to focus to his right, tilting his head slightly as his attuned sense of hearing picked up the sounds of water rushing forever onward. A massive, unyielding force of nature that could only be piloted by the most experienced and daring spirit guides of Reikai.

The river Styx. Kurama thought to himself. The point all souls must pass before they are brought for judgment in Reikai. The kitsune turned his eyes back upon the pathway, focusing his gaze upon his companion, a look of adoration on his handsome face as he studied her.

The sun continued to beat down on them, making extra clothing unnecessary, yet Botan still wore the kitsune's coat, seemingly unaffected by the heat that was starting to make Kurama sweat. I wonder why she's still wearing my jacket? He thought as his gaze strayed to her face, his brow furrowing at the distant look in the deity's eyes, as if she were a million miles away, reliving some past memory.

What are you thinking about Botan? Kurama wondered. And what part do I play in it?

Quit kidding yourself Kurama. The negative voice inside his head spoke. What makes you believe she's even thinking about you? Her mind's probably still stuck on what happened in the coffee shop.

The kitsune shook his head, trying to free himself of his negativity as he tore his gaze away from his heart's desire, focusing instead on the palace, his features darkening at the thought of his upcoming discussion with the lord of Reikai. Koenma will not like what I have to say. But he will listen. I will make him listen. For Botan's sake I must make Koenma understand the danger she is in. Even at the cost of never seeing her again. Kurama's set his jaw in grim determination as he went over what he was going to tell the toddler lord, too absorbed to notice that Botan had returned to her present state of mind, gazing at the man beside her out of the corner of her eye as she admired his form, watching in adoration at the way his body moved in rhythm with her own.

He's such a beautiful man. She thought with a wistful sigh of awe. Botan longed to run her fingers through his hair, to kiss his tender lips and whisper sweet nothings into his perfect ears. She longed for the day when she could tell him how she truly felt and feel his touch upon her skin not as a friend but as a lover, who adored and wanted her.

She dared a more open glance, her eyes widening in surprise and guilt as he turned to her suddenly, his eyes of stone softening in concern.

"Botan is something wrong?"

The deity whipped her head away, hoping like hell her crimson cheeks went unnoticed by the keen eyesight of Kurama. Stupid Botan! She snapped at herself. You got caught drooling over him! He probably thinks you've lost your mind! Quick, say something! "Uh, no. Nothing's wrong Kurama, I'm ... just surprised that you decided to walk to the palace when we could have just taken my oar up. I don't mind sharing my body, uh" Botan paused, wincing at the Freudian slip, "I mean my transportation with you." She added quickly, daring to bring her eyes back to his.

Kurama studied her intently for a few seconds as they stopped before the mammoth doors that gave entry to the palace, a soft smile gracing his lips as he spoke to her in a gentle, reverent voice. "But then I wouldn't have the pleasure of your company on such a nice day in the spirit world as this."

Botan stared at him in dumbfoundment. Is he pulling my leg? "Is that really why you decided to escort me back here? Because you enjoy my company?" She asked in surprise, her voice a mere whisper as she edged closer to him.

Kurama hesitated in answering but did not move from his spot as the deity closed the distance between them. Great! Stick your foot in your mouth Kurama! You might as well have told her you loved her! He scolded himself as he eyed Botan, his heart pounding in his chest at the ever closing gap between them, his breath catching in his throat at the hopeful look reflected in her purple orbs. Is it possible she has feelings for me? He wondered in astonishment.

A sudden thundering sound erupted, startling them. The groaning protest of metal upon metal drawing their attention away from each other to the side where the massive doors opened inward, allowing them access to the palace. The form of Ogre rushing towards them brought a sardonic smile to Kurama's lips and a look of resignation from Botan.

"It seems Koenma has been watching us approach and has decided to send his servant out to greet us." Kurama whispered to the ferry girl who stood beside him, her arms crossed and her features dark.

"Botan! Thank God your back! Lord Koenma has been in a tither ever since he woke up from his nap and found you gone! He requests that you come immediately to his office." Ogre said between breaths, turning to the fox spirit. "And you as well Kurama."

The kitsune raised an eyebrow. "Indeed," He said gamely. "Did he say why?"

Ogre shook his head. "He never tells me anything Kurama. Just yells at me to do something and I do it." He said, as he continued to recover his breath.

Botan said nothing as she strode forward, brushing past a winded Ogre and down the long hallway where a winding staircase led up to the top of the palace and Koenma's office.

Kurama gave Ogre an apologetic smile as he entered the building moving at a near sprint to catch up with the blue haired deity, tossing a worried glance in Botan's direction, surprised at the speed she was exhibiting as she flew up the stairs, her features twisted in rage.

How dare he do this to me! Ordering me around like I'm some slave! And in front of Kurama no less! I won't stand for it! Her mind snarled as she continued upward.

Kurama kept pace with her, frowning as he felt the waves of anger emanating from the blue haired beauty. Botan don't do something foolish! He thought but kept silent as they reached the top floor and headed straight for Koenma's office, the deity in the lead as she shoved the doors open and marched inside.

Botan stiffened her spine, about to yell at her boss when she noticed he was nowhere to be seen. She looked quickly around the room pivoting several times in confusion as she looked back to Kurama whose gaze was fixed on the door behind the desk, eyeing it expectantly. Botan followed his movement.

At that precise second the smaller office door open, revealing an irritated toddler lord carrying a stack of files in his short arms, struggling mightily, weaving side to side as he attempted to see around what he was carrying.

Botan made no move towards him, fuming silently as she watched him flop the mass of paperwork on the side of his desk.

Koenma whipped his head to the side as he noticed he was not alone in the room. He flashed them a deep scowl, his brown eyes fixed on Botan. "It's about time you showed up." He growled studying her for a few seconds before shifting his attention to the kitsune who stood rigidly in the center of the room, not far from where the deity was standing. "Kurama." The toddler lord greeted the fox spirit civilly, but not enough to hide the wariness that lingered in his eyes as he studied the young man before him.

Kurama gave him a nod. "Lord Koenma." He returned in greeting, his features impassive. A mask to hide the uneasiness and tension he felt.

"I see you personally escorted Botan back to the palace. Was there a reason for that?" He asked, his tone suspicious.

Kurama was about to reply when Botan spoke in an icy tone. "Does he need a reason Koenma?" She asked, glaring down at him with hardened eyes, remembering the demands Ogre had relayed to her on behalf of the spirit lord.

Koenma looked up at his top ferry girl, flinching at her address. Never before had she talked to him so casually. It was always Koenma sir or Lord Koenma. Never just Koenma. "I don't think I like your tone Botan. It smacks of disrespect."

"Perhaps if you acted in a respectful manner I would treat you with respect." Botan countered, unwavering in her stance. Although she thought highly of Koenma, she had no qualms about correcting his behavior, especially towards someone she cared deeply about.

Koenma glared at her but decided to let the comment pass, his attention focusing back on Kurama who matched his stare with eyes of stone. And that look. The look of a man without fear or anxiety. A perfect package of innocence and quiet strength rolled into one. But Koenma knew better. What is it you want kitsune? And what does Botan have to do with it? "Why are you here Kurama?" He asked, not waiting for a response as he turned to Botan. "And where the hell have you been?"

Botan shot him an icy glare. "Where the hell have I been?!" She snapped. "Helping the spirit detectives sort out a series of strange events that happened last night. That's what I've been doing! Am I not still Yusuke's assistant?" She added, turning away from the toddler lord. She walked quickly over to Kurama's side, their shoulder's brushing briefly against each other before the deity turned around and faced Koenma.

The toddler lord noticed how close the two stood beside one another. Any closer and she'd be leaning on his arm. He thought in irritation as he studied the pair. For a split second Koenma thought he saw a look of joy flash across the kitsune's face, as if he relished the almost nonexistent gap between him and Botan. But as quickly as it appeared, it vanished, replaced by that same poker face he used before going into battle, his eyes focused on Koenma who shook his head and straightened his frame. Two can play by this game. He thought. If Kurama can appear nonchalant, so can I. "So Yusuke contacted you for help? Why?" He asked, addressing his question to Botan who filled him in on the details.

"That is puzzling to say the least." Koenma commented after Botan had finished informing him. "There have been no reports of unusual spirit or demon activity occurring in the human world for several months. At least none that are known to me." He added, crossing his arms, his features thoughtful. "Then again if what you say is true, and those responsible for these mysterious events are able to mask their power there is no way I could know." The toddler lord turned his worried eyes on the kitsune. "Perhaps Kurama is right. Perhaps this is the work of someone of mixed blood." He acknowledged grudgingly as he lowered his head, wondering whether or not he should approve the investigation.

If I don't do it, Botan will be angry. This could be a dangerous plot to take out the spirit detectives. On the other hand, if I do approve it, that means Botan will be spending most of her time on Ningenkai. And that means she'll be around Kurama. He countered in his head, pondering which road to take. Either path is dark and full of risk. If Botan finds out how the kitsune really feels, her position and my authority would be compromised. I've already made the mistake of letting this happen once before and it almost caused the three realms to be destroyed. My father would kill me if I let it happen again. His face twisted in irritation, his indecision threatening to overwhelm his reasoning.

"Koenma sir, are you all right?" Botan asked softly.

The lord of Reikai flinched, startled by the sudden sound of her voice.

Make a decision dammit! He cursed at himself. With a sigh of resignation, Koenma spoke. "I'm fine Botan, just thinking how to solve this dilemma." He replied, bringing his gaze up to meet hers. "Find out what you can Botan." He said finally, knowing he would regret his decision. "And keep me updated. I want to know what you discover."

Botan looked over to Kurama, a big grin spreading on her lips as she moved away from the kitsune and past her boss. "I'll get right on it!" She replied cheerfully about to head out the door when Koenma called out to her.

"After you finish this paperwork for me first. My father will be back tomorrow from his trip and wants our annual report."

Botan's shoulders slumped as she let out a heavy sigh. Oh great! She grumbled in her mind, I knew there was a catch to this! Slowly she turned around and grabbed the stack off Koenma's desk, clasping them close to her chest as she rested her chin on the top file to keep them from spilling all over. But with her hands full, she was unable to open the door.

Kurama noticed this and in the blink of an eye was beside her, reaching out to turn the knob, pulling the red door towards him, allowing her entry into the hallway.

Botan gave him another smile, touched by his manners. "Always the gentleman." She said happily. "Thank you Kurama." She added, before lowering her voice to a whisper. "I'll get to work on those files as soon as I'm done with this. Just come back safe and sound from Makai. I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt."

Kurama stared at her, shocked by the tender tone in her voice, his features softening as he gazed into her eyes.

Botan looked up at him, wanting for all the world to just reach out and caress his face. Just once to know if their feelings were one and the same and not some silly schoolgirl fantasy concocted by her need for love and attention.

The two continued to stare at each other for several seconds before Koenma gave a polite cough.

"Sometime today Botan, if you would." He said in a commanding tone.

Botan let out an angry sigh as the spell between them was broken. "I'll get right on it Koenma sir." She hissed through her gritted teeth, looking one last time at Kurama who gave her a nod.

"Good luck Botan." The kitsune murmured softly, a gentle smile tugging at his lips.

The deity matched his smile then headed forward into the darkened corridor, Kurama's eyes followed her progress until she rounded a corner out of sight, his mask of reserve slipping to reveal a pained look that reflected the torturous yearning he had to hold Botan in his arms and show her just how much he loved and desired her.

"I think you can shut the door now Kurama." Koenma said, drawing the kitsune's attention back to the office.

Kurama clenched his jaw, stiffening his posture at the annoyed tone of the spirit lord's voice as he shut the door gently before turning to face Koenma.

"I know that you're in love with her Kurama." The small one said coldly. " I've seen the way you look at her and I must say I don't approve."

The fox spirit remained calm and collected, even as his heart ached for Botan and his thoughts grew dark at the way Koenma spoke to him. "I don't see how it's any concern of yours." He said in a hardened tone that belied his gentle features. "Botan has free will. If she were to choose me as her mate what would it matter to you?"

"Everything!" Koenma countered angrily, his features paling at the thought of them together. "Botan is not an ordinary woman. She is part of Reikai. Those that live in this realm are not allowed to love those of the other two realms. It is forbidden!"

"Why?" Kurama asked, studying the toddler with curious eyes.

Koenma seemed startled by his answer, unsure how to respond. "Because ... " He said with a stammer. "Because ... It is the law ... The law established by my father to maintain the balance of the three realms." He answered, glaring at the kitsune.

Kurama frowned as his narrowed eyes met those of the spirit lord. "I think you're lying." He said. "I know of many demons who have taken human mates and produced offspring. I don't remember that having an affect on any of the three realms."

"But none from the spirit and human world. It is not allowed. We are very different from the others that inhabit Ningenkai and Makai. Our ways are not your ways."

"Ah," Kurama said with knowing smile, realizing why Koenma had given him those nasty looks every time he saw the deity and him together. "So now the truth is revealed. You believe we are inferior to you. That humans and demons are not worthy enough to be loved by your kind."

Koenma stiffened at the veiled insult. Even if it was true. "You must understand Kurama. If Botan were to stay with you, marry you, heaven forbid, have children with you, she would be scorned among those in Reikai. It would be seen as a tainting of the pure blood we have maintained for hundreds of years. It would ruin her to be with you."

The harsh, cold tone of the toddler lord's voice smacked into Kurama like the north wind, chilling him to the bone and infuriating him with it's intensity. "You don't care about her at all do you." He spat in an uncharacteristic display of anger, his features twisting in rage. "Only about your reputation."

"Now wait just a minute," Koenma started, only to be cut off by the fox spirit's enraged voice.

"No, you wait." He countered advancing upon the spirit lord who back reflexively into his desk.

Koenma's eyes widened in surprise and fear as he noticed gold flecks bursting within the furious emerald pools of the kitsune's eyes. The eyes of Youko Kurama. Eyes that could only be seen when Kurama's anger escaped from the tight control he usually exhibited on his emotions.

"There is no difference between us." Kurama's spoke, his voice deepening, becoming cold and dangerous. "We have feelings just as those of Reikai do. Our hearts are no different. We bleed the same, love the same, die the same. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have lived several lifetimes and have learned many things. I have learned that cruelty is not regulated to Makai. I have seen it in the other realms as well so don't think you're superior to us because you're not." He said in controlled rage. "And as for Botan, my feelings towards her will not change. I have always and will always love her. If you truly cared for her you would let her make her own decisions."

"And if you truly loved her you would let her go." Koenma replied, gathering his courage as he straightened his frame, his features turning defiant. "You are the wrong kind of person for her."

"Why? Because I'm only half human? Because I was once one of the most feared demon's in Makai. Are you afraid I will revert to my old ways? Are you that distrusting of me?" He asked in disbelief, backing away slightly from Koenma who looked away guiltily.

Kurama gave a sigh of disgust. "So no matter how I make up for my past, it will continue to be held against me. I see now I was foolish to believe in redemption." He said, turning away from the small lord as he tried to regain his composure, tried to calm the torrent of hate that was swelling in him. To control his more powerful self from emerging completely, lest he do something foolish and harm the spirit lord.

"I did not say that Kurama." Koenma said softly, frowning at the harsh words he had spoken, realizing he was in danger and wanting to ease the tension that hovered within the confines of the office. "You have done many valiant things in the pursuit of right. But I'm afraid of the stigma that will be attached to her if she were to remain on Ningenkai with you."

The kitsune closed his eyes, willing himself to relax. "Well you have no reason to fear." Kurama said finally after several tense seconds of silence, his features calm once more as he turned to face Koenma, his eyes returning to their emerald hue. "I haven't told her how I feel. And I don't plan on doing so."

Koenma frowned in confusion. "But I thought you and her ..."

Kurama held up a hand, silencing him. "She has no idea that I love her." He said softly, as he lowered his hand and looked away. "She may suspect I care for her. But even after all this time together I haven't found the courage to tell her."

Koenma studied the kitsune with interest. "You mean you're not in a relationship with her." He said, his voice a mixture of surprise and relief. Unbelievable. Kurama and Botan are in love with each other and neither of them realize it. Talk about ironic.

Kurama shook his head. "No. We remain good friends. Nothing more." He replied, turning back to the toddler. I only wish it were otherwise. He thought in sadness and regret. "I've revealed my love for Botan to you because there is something I want to ask of you." He said with a pause to make sure the small lord was really paying attention.

Koenma nodded, relaxing his small frame. "I'm listening."

"The people or things responsible for the strange events last night have been watching us, studying us, noting our strengths and weaknesses. I believe it is only a matter of time before they strike, hurting the ones we hold dearest to our hearts. They have already tried with Botan."

Koenma's eyebrows shot up, his features tightening. "Someone tried to harm her?"

Kurama nodded. "They know." He said softly. "They know how I feel about her. I believe today was a test. A test of how deeply I cared for her. How close my connection to her was."

"And?"

Kurama hung his head. "They will come after her again. And this time the will not stop until she is dead."

Koenma looked away, his features paling. "What do we do?"

"Relieve Botan of her duties in Ningenkai." Kurama answered, raising his head once more. "At least until this matter is resolved. If she remains in Reikai, I believe she will be safe."

The small lord brought his troubled gaze back upon the red head. "You would willingly sacrifice ever seeing her again?" He asked. "You truly care that much for her."

"My feelings mean nothing when compared to her safety. I love her more than myself. If my heart must be denied from her in order for her to remain safe, I will gladly risk it. Her life is all that matters to me." Kurama replied, holding his head high as if defying Koenma to say something.

But the spirit lord said nothing. Closing his eyes in understanding. Perhaps he truly does love her after all.

Kurama waited patiently as Koenma thought over what to do.

With a heavy sigh, the toddler spoke. "So be it. I will restrict Botan's duties to Reikai. Any information she finds she can send to Yusuke through a third person."

Kurama gave him a nod. "Thank you Koenma sir."

Koenma crossed his arms as his features grew dark. "Of course you know there'll be hell to pay when she finds out. She won't like the idea of being stuck here. She may decide to disobey my orders just to spite me."

Kurama tried hard not to laugh at the image that sprang in his head. An image of Botan screaming like a banshee at Koenma before whacking him on the head with her oar. He shook his head at the thought. "Explain to her the reasons why and she will listen. As long as she can contact us, I believe she'll be reasonably happy with the arrangement."

Koenma smiled as a thought came to him. Reaching into his desk he pulled out a small blue circular device. "Take this." He said tossing it up into the air towards Kurama who snatched it with his right hand.

"What is it?" He asked staring down at the object resting in his open palm.

"A communication device." Koenma replied. "That way Botan can hear it from your own lips and perhaps save my ears from permanent damage when she explodes."

Kurama studied the device briefly before stuffing it in his pocket, he gave Koenma a nod then pivoted to leave stopping when the toddler spoke.

"Just remember Kurama, I still don't approve but Botan will kill me if anything happens to you so be careful."

Kurama forced himself to remain silent, ignoring the last comment, as he continued forward once more out the office and into the fresh air of Reikai. He stopped halfway down the path as he felt a pair of eyes watching him. Turning around, Kurama craned his neck back to find Botan staring down at him, giving him a big wave of her hand.

Kurama stared at her for a few seconds, unable to return her gesture. I'm sorry Botan. I'm sorry for everything. But I cannot allow you to be harmed. Not even for my own selfish reasons. "Good bye Botan." He murmured sadly as he turned and walked away. Walk away Kurama. Walk away before your heart overrides your reason. His mind warned and the kitsune listened, fearing if he stayed any longer in Reikai he would renege on his vow not to reveal his true heart. Kurama picked up the pace, his legs in a near sprint as he began to run. To run from his feelings, to run from her, even as he knew it might be the last time he gazed upon her perfection..

Botan watched Kurama sprint away, frowning at his actions as he disappeared past the rocky terrain that lined the countryside. Why didn't he wave back? She wondered. I know he saw me.

Just then there was a light tap on her office door. Botan quickly turned and plopped down in her seat, forcing herself to look busy as she studied the files with vested interest. "Come in." She cried out, her eyes still on her work as someone approached.

"Um, excuse me Miss Botan." A deep voice spoke politely.

Botan lifted her gaze and found a tall blue oni standing before her small desk. "What is it Ogre?"

"Koenma would like to speak with you as soon as you've finished that report for him."

A spasm of irritation crossed Botan's face. What the hell does he want to talk about now?! Does he want to berate me over Kurama coming here?! She looked at Ogre with darkened eyes. "Tell Koenma if I can spare the time from his stupid report I'll think about showing up." She growled.

Ogre looked at her in horror. "I can't tell him that, he'll just yell at me again."

Botan let out a sigh. "I'm sorry Ogre. It's not your fault." She said, leaning back in her chair. "It's just .. I'm sick and tired of the way Koenma treats me. Like I'm some incompetent child in need of constant guidance. I ... " She paused, gazing off into the darkened corner of the room, the image of Kurama forming unbidden in her mind. I just want to be with him.

Ogre frowned at the sudden silence. "What is it Miss Botan?"

Botan shook her head, coming out of her trance. "Nothing Ogre." She said softly, returning her gaze back on the blue oni. "Tell Koenma I will see him as soon as I'm finished here."

Ogre nodded and started towards the door but stopped part way, pivoting back to her. "I like your jacket." He said, pointing to the black waist coat the deity was still wearing.

Botan looked down. I'm still wearing Kurama's jacket. She thought in surprise. A soft, loving smile graced her lips as she reached out to caress the jacket's collar, her thoughts lost once again on the kitsune. "Thank you." She said absently before reluctantly dropping her hand and reaching out to take the next file that needed sorting, but her mind was miles away, lost in a vision of her and Kurama alone and together at last.

Ogre smiled at her then turned around and exited the office, leaving the deity alone with her thoughts.

*******

Yusuke and Kuwabara stood patiently outside a small, dark cave deep in some unnamed woodland, eyeing their surroundings expectantly. Both were dressed in hooded sweatshirts, fatigues and boots as black as the back packs strapped around their shoulders, their demeanor serious as if they were preparing to go into battle.

"I feel like I'm playing war or something." Kuwabara said, staring down at his clothing briefly before turning to look at his best friend. "Why the hell are we dressed like the SWAT team?"

Yusuke sighed. "I told you before doofus," He began irritably. "We're going into an area of varying terrain and harsh conditions. Do you really want to go traipsing around Makai dressed like a couple of stupid human teenagers or do you want to be able to defend yourself from any and all assaults with little difficulty?"

"But I thought you were itching for a fight."

Yusuke glared up at the larger man. "I am. But jeans and T-shirts limit my movements too much. I want to be able to kick ass at maximum efficiency."

Kuwabara looked at him with a shake of his head. "If you say so." He said, not really convinced the clothes they were wearing would improve their fighting skills. "So, how much longer do you think before Kurama shows up?" He asked, changing the subject.

Yusuke shrugged, crossing his arms and closing his eyes. "How the hell should I know. You're the one with all that spiritual sense. Why don't you tell me."

"There's no need to get snippy." Kuwabara grumbled turning away from Urameshi, his eyes focused on the thicket of bushes a short distance in front of them. His back stiffening as he felt the familar chi of the fox spirit.

"Greetings gentlemen." Kurama said in a soft voice as he emerged from the brush, dressed in a black turtleneck, boots and fatigues like his friends although he carried no back pack to speak of. "I see we're thinking along similar lines today." He said with a smirk as he eyed their clothing.

"Yeah well," Kuwabara began, jerking his thumb towards Yusuke. "It was Urameshi's idea."

"Who cares." Yusuke growled. "Let's get a move on. Daylight is fading and I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of traveling Makai in the dark."

"I didn't know you were scared of the dark Urameshi." Kuwabara said in a teasing voice.

Yusuke let out a growl as the larger man wrapped his right arm around his neck.

"Don't worry little Urameshi, Kazuma the mighty will protect you!" He declared in a mocking voice which earned him a punch upside the head from Yusuke that sent him to the ground face first in the dirt.

"Knock it off stupid! Your retarded antics are taking up valuable time!"

Kuwabara jumped up, rubbing the back of his head. "You didn't have to hit me you know."

Yusuke said nothing as he turned to Kurama who eyed them in incredulity, shaking his head at their juvenile behavior. Perhaps I should have gone to see Hiei alone.

"Are you ready to do this Kurama?" The dark haired man asked.

Kurama nodded, his features growing serious. "Yes." He replied, walking briskly past them and into the cave.

"Let's go Kuwabara." Yusuke ordered, reaching out to push the larger man toward the cave's entrance.

"I'm going Urameshi don't push me okay!" Kuwabara replied, disappearing into the darkness of the cave, followed closely by Yusuke. The three marched forward in the darkness, their features focused, ready to face whatever greeted them on the other side, in the vast unforgiving world of Makai.